It there a way to determine its safe to take a link out of the rail. Ours is real close to end of the slack adjusters. I don’t want to remove a link and then not be able to re connect the chain. Need to make it through another job before we have time to replace the rails. Thanks
Most excavators will adjust till the idler support block is about an inch past the end of the track frame. It's pretty easy to pull a link then. Generally I would break the track and pull the idler out a little further and then clean out all the dirt inside the track frame before pushing it all the way back in the track frame. Make sure it goes all the way back.
Axles on main idler are prone to failure . Make sure the idler is ok before you cut links out.
Good day See attached may help. Kind regards Uffex
Thank you uffex I wasn’t quite sure how to go about removing a link. Now I know!! We’ll check it out today and decide if that’s what we’re going to do. The only thing keeping me from doing it now is having the time to do both sides. I don’t think it would be good to do only one side.
The two tracks are completely independent of each other on an excavator. If you have time constraints you could easily do one side now then come back and do the other one at a later date.
Tenfo not sure yet but we’ll be deciding in a little bit. It makes sense to do it now that’s for sure