Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

edco ?

525isx ยท 2010-11-25 18:09

used to see ads for "EDCO wildcat" & "EDCO mustang" yarders in the loggers world any info on these machines? brent

Replies32
  1. #1Contract Logger2010-11-25 19:23

    Used to be a ton of EDCO machines around SW Washington and NW Oregon- I have a ton of pics buried in my archived albums. Most of the machines I was around were 70' one piece towers, truck mounted (usually an old surplus Autocar, Mack, or KW), and often they used Skagit BU50 or BU75 drumsets. The Wildcat and Mustang machines were Edco drumsets, and mostly all Edco built. Some were trailer-mounted and many were mounted on an Edco-built 4-axle carrier. I'll round up some pics.

  2. #2JTL2011-01-29 00:30

    Out of shear boredom tonight, I have been looking back through the archives of threads. I read an article a few years ago in Loggers World about this outfit. I hijacked the pictures from Acme Carriage's web page. If I remember right this is an Edco Sidewinder. Mabey someone can enlighten me!

  3. #3sh0rtlife2011-01-29 03:32

    im thinking wow that looks like familiar terrain.....looks like diamond mill area almost

  4. #4parttime2011-01-30 08:33

    Awesome pictures. thanks

  5. #5HCF2011-01-30 20:32

    If edco made the sidewinder machines there is one down at Goshen Equipment here in Oregon. Don't know if they have a website. Not my favorite place that's for sure.

  6. #6TorkelH2011-01-31 10:56

    I did never think about that as an Edco.. http://www.goshenequipment.com/used/sidewinder.htm . Seems to be the same one from Acmes web page. Comes with the Acme carriage too...

  7. #7TorkelH2011-01-31 11:45

    Edco Wildcat Here's some pictures taken from Basco's yard of an Edco Wildcat, and some specs on Edco Wildcat II yarder. I have altso uploaded an article about the Edco Mustang from 1979 Pacific Logging congress: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/edco mustang-sm.pdf . Thats what I had on Edco yarders!

  8. #8snowpeke2011-02-15 11:52

    mustang edco I work for a logger in northern cal and they have one that is still working .

  9. #9TorkelH2011-02-15 19:14

    Take some pictures of it and put it out here!

  10. #10lg junior2011-02-26 01:33

    the sidewinder yarder in #3 was built by Rosedale Machine Shop in Canada I do believe

  11. #11furpo2011-06-05 16:22

    Sidewinder S10 I understand this machine belongs to Doug Kirney but is currently for sale.

  12. #12TorkelH2011-06-06 03:23

    Special machine... Is the winch hydrostatic or is it a downdrive eh.. updrive? Someone have soms specs on the sidewinder?

  13. #13prolog nz2011-06-06 04:40

    Yeah this is dougs sidewinder, has had alot of money spent tidying it up also had afew modifications including the topping line to raise and lower boom you can see the winch mounted on the back legs of the gantry. As far as I know these were primarily designed for shotgunning. I think you can set them up for scabbing but don't quote me on that, I'm sure someone on here can enlighten us on what they can and can not do?

  14. #14JeremyM702011-06-22 21:33

    Edco picture? I think this is a picture of an Edco at the Tillamook Cheese Factory. Awesome place to stop for samples and ice cream if you're in the area.

  15. #15furpo2011-07-01 17:27

    I have no idea. Active Equipment have done a bit of work on it so they might be able to help.

  16. #16lg junior2011-07-01 22:39

    The Sidewinder yarders in this thread are not built by Edco. Edco if I remember was built in Sutherland Oregon and the Sidewinder was built by Rosedale Machine Shop in British Columbia. The winch or drums are driven by an updrive from the engine that is mounted to the rear of the tracks, and it also powers the tracks which drive from the opposite end. I've become very interested in some of the ways that Rosedale engineered their machines, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about the company, at least that I can find. Years ago I ran a small swing yarder that used an updrive like the sidewinder, it had some drawbacks. One problem that I did not like was that there was no engine in the upper, consequently no heater. The owner didn't see a problem until he ran it when the windows were frozen on the inside. It was very quiet thou.

  17. #17TorkelH2011-07-05 02:54

    lg junior! That was good to get that clear! I did a search and found out that Rosedale Machine Shop had the following productnames trademarked in the 70's: Sidewinder, Skyhawk, Ecologger and Ecothinner. I think maybe it already is a thread here for Rosedale or Ecologger, if not we sure should have one!

  18. #18bushman12012-04-04 22:10

    eston dumont was the founder of EDCO.he started out put(i think skagit hosts)with a ship spar.later making own tube. i went in 1975? to watch mustang unveiled on roseburg lumber job in little river area(glide or) where he was from. no pictures got some of roseburg 108 and view yarders. i was young at the time but i know a lot of people spoke very highly of him.he had a number of patents including carriages.had heard later on in life it was the big boys that kept him down.he passed away in 2008?RIP when i get the scan thing going i will post some of his yarders

  19. #19Amanda.Dumont2013-02-06 15:45

    @Bushman1: Yes My Grandpa Eston Acusta Dumont Passed Away @ The Young Age Of 84 On 2/7/08...I Wasn't Born Until 1990 So I Missed Out On EDCO In Its Prime.. But I've Heard A lot Of Stories & Have Seen Alot Of Pictures<3 I Miss My Grandpa So Much && Love Seeing People Still Talking About His Yarders<3

  20. #20Rusty Grapple2013-02-07 00:06

    I collect all sorts of old ads and trade magazines from the PNW Timber Industry; Through that endeavor, I have EDCO ads back into the 1960's though very few have been scanned. I met Mr. Dumont (briefly) at the Eugene Logging Show one year- he was a legend! I would LOVE to put a webpage together with his story and the EDCO machines he built. Here's an ad from 1972-

  21. #21Rusty Grapple2013-02-07 00:33

    Here's an EDCO yarder that belonged to 7&7 Logging Company of Castle Rock, Washington in the middle 1980's. The machine was nearly new when I photographed it one weekend working above the Chehalis River, between Ryderwood and PeEll Washington on the big International Paper Company tree farm there. I spent alot of time in that area in those days. Loading duties were being handled by a near-new early Link-Belt LS3400TL with Young boom and grapple.

  22. #22JeremyM702013-02-07 00:34

    I think Basco Logging in Sutherlin had a Wildcat on an Autocar truck frame next door when I was down that way last year. Got pics somewhere, I know they are on the Facebook page.

  23. #23Rusty Grapple2013-02-07 01:00

    I'm not sure what the relationship was between the EDCO yarder and Autocar trucks, but it seems like 90% of all the EDCO's I ever saw were mounted on Autocar trucks; In the 1980's around Castle Rock, there were at least a dozen EDCO/Autocar setups- nearly everyone around there either 'did own' or 'had owned' one previously. Maybe Mr. Dumont simply had a passion for the Autocars? Certainly possible! The other popular mounting later was on the CCC ('Crane Carrier Corporation' in the US and 'Canadian Crane Carrier' in Canada) SP Carriers- self propelled units of various configurations. Here's a 'moving position' shot of an EDCO Wildcat on an Autocar I took at Vail in the 1990's. Owner unknown.

  24. #24JeremyM702013-02-07 01:10

    White&Zumstein in Woodland has their Edco sitting in the yard for the last year or so. I ran into Gene above Merill Lake, they were running their TSY6140SLR doing corridors on forest service land I think. He hadn't had any work for the Edco for a while. It looks alot like the 7&7 yarder above.

  25. #25Rusty Grapple2013-02-07 01:18

    Another of 7 & 7 Logging Company's EDCO yarders working near Ryderwood, Washington on International Paper Company timberlands in the 1980's. This one is an EDCO Wildcat on Autocar and one of 2 'EDCO/Autocars' they had working there at the time. Typical 'turquoise' EDCO color on this one and wearing the name of a different (California based) logger on the truck doors. I cannot remember the name but it will come to me eventually. Anyway good overall view of the Autocar truck in this shot- Sadly and coincidentally, the ridge in the distance is where the fatal Madill plane crash occured a few short years later... http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19901203&slug=1107501

  26. #26Rusty Grapple2013-02-07 01:25

    Yes! Forgot about that one Jeremy. The '7 & 7 yarder' seen above is a little different in that it is mounted on a turntable/bearing and will yard in lead 360 degrees around the carrier. The White & Zumstein machine is mounted rigid on the 'CCC' carrier and has a much taller tower (and more guylines too I think). The owners of '7 & 7' (Gould family) affectionately referred to thier swinging machine as 'The Smurf'!

  27. #27Rusty Grapple2013-02-07 01:39

    This is another EDCO machine working in the same area in the middle 1980's (maybe 1986?) and owned By Kysar Logging; actually he had 2 EDCO yarders on this job both rigged up within 1000' of each other. Like an idiot I ran out of film and don't have pics of the second machine- it was an Autocar-mounted unit much like the one seen above. Loading under each yarder were Koehring log loaders and I did manage to get pictures of all the log loaders- there were four log loading machines working here this day. This was on Longview Fibre timberland in the Castle Rock/Ryderwood area and this whole Cowlitz/Lewis County area was a real hotspot for yarders of all shapes and sizes in the 1970's and 80's. Good for a yarder-nut like me! This machine is very similar to the White & Zumstein yarder Jeremy mentioned.

  28. #28Vigilant2013-02-07 11:55

    Nice looking ACar in Post 26. Looks like a '63 or '64 model, very likely with a 220 Commins.

  29. #29cutman2013-02-07 16:12

    I believe Jeff Gould's Edco Mustang, the one pictured above, is currently yarding for Weyco up on the green river out of toutle. I don't think that yarders had much rest since they've owned it. It's put a lot of wood on the road. He's also got a TY 90 working for Weyco out of Head Quarters road area last i heard

  30. #30bushman12013-02-07 19:39

    I to would like to see you do that. I'm sure you have thought about how much material for such a project amanda and her family must have. He was a legend.

  31. #31Redwood Climber2013-02-07 20:19

    Edco Yarders I always liked the looks and simplicity of the Edco yarders. I never worked on any of them but did see them working. I loved the mobility of them and the ability to set up and get logs quickly. I thought the ability of some of them to swing to lead was absolutely brilliant!! Genius!! I love how a man can see a brilliant idea in his head, design and build it. Cool to see how years after the last one was built they are still getting out the wood! Obviously well built machines. Rex Gott had one here in northern Cal. His was much like the one in post #28. John Lima had a Mustang mounted on a trailer. Don Cummins had an Autocar mount Edco (I think....it was on an Autocar!) There were more here in northern Cal. I'm sure.

  32. #32adbombphoto2013-12-24 13:26

    Mustang Nevada City, CA This is from November 2013. Not sure if this beast was sold or just in the shop and back to the woods... I'll find out next time I'm in that area.