Well I better start a Kenworth Thread for 848--849--850 and similar huge KW's. Post your pics of huge KWs Here are few pics KW - all shot in 2005 most trucks are Mars Industries
A few more
So it appears that KW has continued the great trucks that Hayes pioneered. The relationship is very apparent. I will work on getting some of the construction and Quarry versions shot and posted.
Good man Jerry
Kw here is a 1972 849RF of A. Byrne Trucking and a 1981 849S of Olympic Forest Products.
KW preloader present owner Central Island Excavating. It is ex. McKay unit #H100.
Jim Falconers Canadian built KW 848 dump truck. Nice huge truck. KW ramb truck. Both KW's were captures this summer at the old MB Cameron Div.
Holbrook Dyson - Vernon Camp Blue Mountain Trucking - Sayward (3) KW - Campbell River KW - Campbell River Dennis Dystant - Campbell River
Pics of Dystant KW - 4th LLL KW - 5th contactor KW in Zeballos
More KW pics 2 pics of John Foster KW dump trucks 3rd Mars truck with lowbed early morning at road to Sarita 4th and 5th KW selfloader near Beaver Cove
As many are aware the different truck model designations refers primarily to the differences in the frame. Here are some of my own observations: 848: 10-3/4" Deep C Channel Flex Frame - 34" Width 849: Variable Web Flex Frame - 40" Width 850: Rigid Frame - 40" Width (Similar to HDX, WHDX & P16's) Does anyone else have any additional info or differing observations?
Tyler, I did not know. Very interesting. Once I was told by a guy working for WFP that you could look at rear springs to settle if it was a 848 or a 849 model, but I have never figured out how.
WFP KW trucks. I my mind all 848 models please correct me if I am wrong. Woss summer 2010
Many of the heavy KW trucks were rigid with walking beams anyway, no rear springs to be found. All of our C500 and C540 trucks were rigid as well, no springs. I'll find some pics.
A few pics.... All are KW C500 and C540. All are ex-Weyerhaeuser, all Cummins power, and all with Clark rearends, solid walking-beam, no suspension (no springs, no biscuits, or otherwise). Hundreds of these trucks came to Alaska and here they still sit. if your interested I have thousands of these pics, and can take more tomorrow if you prefer to see them in the snow.
Ex Weyerhaeuser KW trucks left in Alaska.
Looks like a couple of them had 12V71s in them. Typically, how heavy were the rears in the off-highway KWs? My dad told me that his usually grossed out at around 150,000 at Vail. I have heard that they ran 64,000 rears, and that would add up pretty close with about a 24,000 front.
Dystant KW truck unit #33. Pics were shot Dystant shop in Campbell River summer 2010.
Vigilant I would wonder if in fact there was room for a 12V in the engine compartment--These units posted all have Cummins in them (single exhaust system) whereas the 12V has dual exhaust. Looking at the trucks from there it is hard to tell if you could stuff a green leaker in there or not. What do you think???
Thanks to everyone for the great pictures and taking time to tell more about the area and trucks. Some time maybe you could share more information on how the trucks were equipped. Motor sizes and horse power, transmissions, capacity, empty and loaded weights, over all lengths, and widths. When you think how long the trucks last in such poor operating conditions, it just seems amazing. Great stuff I for one really appreciate you taking time to load, and share pictures and tell the stories!!!!!!
Hello. Several of the pics on the first page show twin stacks coming up the passenger side beside the cab, starting with Post #2. I have seen quite a few of the older KWs sporting 8V71s, and I believe they were eventually available with a Jake. The W9s used in the TV series Movin' On years ago with Claude Akins ran 8V92s IIRC. I suspect that the reason Movin' On did not last was because the venerable Silver 92 even ran them broke. But ya gotta love that sound. Back to the photos, I have heard that a lot of the old Pacific and Hayes trucks ran 12V71s with Allisons. If you look closely at some of these pics, you can probably see why I suspected a double breasted Yamaha in some of them. I knew a mechanic years ago who pieced together a pretty good truck out of a carcass and components he had acquired cheap, in much the same way as Johnny Cash's fabled Cadillac in the song. It was a fine truck, but would not fetch a decent price because it was a b*****d child. So, he decided to show 'em all. He quit turning wrenches, and put the truck to work himself. He did really well for several years, end eventually had to rebuild the engine. He pulled it up under a huge shade tree, pulled the engine, built it like a brick outhouse, and painted it up to look really nice. It looked so nice, in fact, that he took a photo, and hung the photo above the bed where he and his spouse slept. Eventually, he went on to buy a really nice house. While in the process of moving, he moved the bed away, and was shocked to find about a quart of oil on the floor under the engine. Trust me on this. I wouldn't lie....
Also, while I don't recall anything but Cummins power in the KWs at Vail back in the day, I do know that Weyco at Twin Harbors ran at least a few 8V71s in KW hoods. I went back to Twin Harbors with my dad in '95, and saw a couple KW dump trucks then with 8V71s.
Back in 2002, I saw an ancient off-highway KW line truck at an equipment yard in Chehalis, WA. It had Weyco paint and logos, but apparently came from Murray Pacific. It looked like it had been worn out numerous times, and was pretty far gone. But the doors were still tight, and with a bit of lube, would have still been a dream to open and close. Thanks to several mechanics in a Federal truck shop years ago who had a little too much time on their hands, a legend emerged, built from scratch, the way a mechanic (Mr. Gerlinger, the Shop Foreman) thought a truck should be built. That truck also had the first six cylinder engine ever to provide power for a truck. They called it the Gersix. A lot of the old KWs I saw as a kid in the PNW were so primitive, they didn't even have so much as a spring-loaded seat. Just springs in the seat cushion. Powet steering? Air conditioning, a MUFFLER? You can forget all that. And before DOT came along, they worked drivers almost to death as a general rule. I have heard that a lot of them put in as much as 18 hours a day, or more. Flat tire? No problem. No cell phone to call the tire man. Nope. You pulled out the trusty air hose and tire patch kit, jacked the truck up, broke it down, and fixed the stinking tire. As a general rule, about the time you had the truck jacked up off the ground, four or five other trucks would be pulled off behind you, the drivers looking for anything they could do to help get you going. I have immense respect for the drivers of yesteryear. And look at us now. I'm sure there are still a few top notch drivers among the ranks of the 'new age truckers', but there are a whole lot more who will whine because their stereo sounds a little scratchy. It has been years since I have watched TV, and I don't miss it. But I still recall watching old reruns of Lawrence Welk, and seeing all the old folks dancing and enjoying the music. That was years ago, and I'm sure they are now dead and gone, for the very most part at least. And look at where we're headed now. God help us.
That truck in Post #18 is magnificent. Any more shots of it? #16 is looking good too.
At Longview Division most of the KW trucks had Cummins in them, and In Alaska I have seen mostly Cummins as well. The trucks that worked later were re-powered with Cat 3406's, as this is widely regarded as the best pulling mid-size truck engine at least with most people I know. I have owned a bunch of 3406's and they are my favorite truck engine as well, so I'm biased. I know some guys who re-powered to N-14 Mechanicals, and they seem fine to but tend to eat turbo's. There's always the exception so naturally there are still some 3408's and KT600's left here too. One thing that surprises me on some of the bigger Canadian KW's is the lighter KW Cab. I even see it on the Dystant truck in the above pics. After 75' or so most of the HD Kenworths I worked around had the HD cab with the diamont-plate steel roof and backwall versus the aluminum and fiberglass lighter-duty (highway) cabs. As far as rearends go the BD71,000 and BD91,000 are the only way to go in my book. And if you get caught running them over 30 mph you're fired on the spot. If width is an issue you can drop back down to the 65,000 lb rears I guess- but I wouldn't. Rarely do you need the 121's unless your lowbedding over 120 tons daily. I build alot of 1/25th scale and am now using the HD KW cabs on all my 848, 849, and C500 model trucks. Here are some reference pics (1/25th) of the light versus the heavy. I havent built and 850's but could one of these days I guess. I generally model truck I've been around.
Here are some detailed shots of the Weyco Longview KW Trucks parked at Road 12 after the Mt St Helens flooding. All have the HD cabs. I also looked through my stack of pics and found at least 2 with Alpine Green under the hoods.
Are these trucks and equipment going to just be left? Does anybody own them?
In the mid-1990's Bill Paulson and Mike Plaas came up to Alaska and bought 2 of Ketchikan Pulp's KW C500's to take back to Washington and use as lowbed trucks. Somwhere I have pics of the rebuild process (both trucks) that took place at McPaul Chehalis. The planetary rears were removed because 11' width and low speed was going to be a dealbreaker on the highways of Washington. They were replaced with Mack Camelback suspensions and Mack rears in the 65,000 lb range and with the keeping of 9' width. Pulling 10' wide lowbed trailers the width would be acceptable and the Macks would serve well with big weight and up to 55 mph. Bill painted his in KP colors- old Cat yellow and a black hood. Mike went with orange and black and continues his Harley-Davidson inspired theme. These are dandy Kenworth C500's and both do have the HD Cab. 18 speed Fullers with 4-speed airshift brownies round out the mix nicely.
Yes, they have owners. And yes, they'll just be left. There arent roads (these are all islands here in Southeast) and barge charters are too expensive to move them out. FOB Seattle they wont sell for even the freight cost to get them there. A few guys sent some to Seattle and ended up losing money on the frieght. Doesnt make sense to send them out and end up writing a check to do so!
Saunders # 63 -1973 KW 850 (One of Several Currently for Sale) GM 12V71T engine, Allison 6061 air shift automatic transmission, 16' bunk on turntable, spring suspension, Clark #121,000 rear planetary axles, Dayton wheels, new Michelin 14:00X25 tires. Unit is equipped with a Hayes 60 ton T/A log trailer c/w: 16' bunk, walking beam suspension, KB axles, Dayton wheels, 14:00X25 tires. Anyone shopping KW850's might look at this fleet of 5 for sale today. Potential anyway. Serious investment would be necessary as they will need some work.
Vigilant I guess I was misunderstood--Yea most of the 850s and 849s up here came with the V12s as did the Hayes WHDs and HDXs as well as the Pacifics it was those exWeyco trucks pictured there that were in question as to a 12V71 would fit in . Yes the 8V71 and 8V92 would no doubt slip right in But i doubt the V12 would. Never know I been wrong before
I too doubt that a C5 would accept a V12. I personally think the 3406B series, the last of the Cat mechanicals, was the pinnacle of highway truck engine technology, and would very likely work well in many off highway applications as well.
The KW C500 (Custom 500) will accept a V12 and even a V16 Detroit. I have seen them and they do exist (Also seen them with V8 Cats and V8 Cummins). The deal is that when ordered the frame was usually a 40" (a C540 is a Custom 500 with 40" frame) and the cab is set way way back from the rad. The cowling just ahead of the windshield is 16 or 18 inches, then the standard butterfly section, then the hardnose (radiator assembly, etc). Obviously the radiator assembly can be internal, external, or whatever depending on the cooling and air intake requirements of the engine. Kenworth offered 6 or 7 different radiator assemblies for the hardnose trucks in the 70's. (hardnose is butterfly access and without a tilt/fiberglass hood). I'll find some pics. The C500 if customer-ordered could come out the doors an 850 or even 953 if you chose the right components. A C500 was any custom-order KW, I've even seen them with aluminum frame and KW 8-bag air-ride. AND an 850 hood assembly will bolt right onto a C500 or 540 easily. Sorry for all the confusion. Don't blame me, KW made it this way. Here's a 953 for sale somwhere.
That 953 looks to me like it may have come from the oil fields at some point. Now that is one beautiful truck.
Can't find my C500 brochures but I just scanned the KW849 brochure. This I would consider the lighter-duty of the off-road Kenworths, and the 12V Detroits are right there in the options list. I'm kind of surprised myself but there it is!
The KW 850 Brochure shows the 12V71 as the standard-equipment engine option!
Now I'm curious: Could you get a Jake with a 12V71? I see engine brakes listed in general as options, but it does not specify the types available. I would think a Jake and an Ox would work pretty well. Such a shame EPA killed the 1693 series Cat engines. The old "Fawna Quatta" was a legend in its day. With an NHC250, or even more so, a 6-71, that truck must have been a slug. Even geared low, low, low, I suspect it would have trouble even pulling an empty trailer. But alas, I have a lot to learn about off-highway KWs. I know just enough to be a pain in the butt.
I'm not sure on the Jake. And I cannot think of one single reason to underpower a truck like you mention either. Even as a lube-truck or a line-truck or a fire-truck it would be a nightmare to drive. Many concrete mixers had the 6-71's in them and I could never figure that out. Often I have considered buying C500's at auction but backed out just thinking about the repower. I mean backed out at $ 5,000.00 for great looking C500's! Still dont regret walking away. A good friend of mine went to Fairbanks a few years back and bought 10 nice C500's at an RB Auction for $1,500.00 apiece. 5 Cummins 350 and 5 8V92. All had 5x4's. He repowered every one of them to a 3406B/18 speeds and they're awesome trucks today.
I like a 5X4 a lot, especially configured to a double over. On the highway, they're a dream to drive once you get it down pat, plus learn the secrets of dropping gears with two sticks. I would think that in an off-highway application in the PNW, even with plenty of torque, those two sticks would work a man hard. Thinking back on the old days about fighting the hills with two sticks and 250 HP at the most, I have even more respect for those drivers back in the day. These days, I doubt that there are many New Age Steering Wheel Holders out there who could ever master two sticks, especially if they break a nail. Nowadays, I think the 18 speed is the king. Or 13 on the highway. I suspect that a Jake was probably an option on the 12V, since it's basically just an 8V with 2 more cylinders on each side. Even with all the oil leaks, the old 53 and 71 Series Detroits had their merits. And it was so easy to bolt on a little more power.
KW Hauling a 4600 Manitowoc on Alaska's North Slope
Rear view View attachment 73773
Pictures of KW 849 and 850
More pictures of KW 849 and 850
Jake on v-12. Yes sir you could get a jake with the 12-71. One of the first post in this thread shows a yellow and green 849 KW.The one with the headlight missing. I drove that truck for a couple of years for Clyak Contracting out of Campbell River. The truck was setup with 90,000 planetary diffs. 12v71 with a 15 speed fuller trans behind it. Lots of shifting with that truck but it was actually a good truck with the exception of the light suspension. Eventually it got heavier rear springs and an upgraded 12v71 making it a better all around truck. It saw lots and lots of Big loads! The jake was pretty weak but without it you would never have been able to hold it back on some of the steeper hauls the coast has to offer! I actually drove a HDX in another camp nearby that was rigged with both Jake and a retarder. This was a pretty popular setup with v12 and allison trans. Now that was the ticket for that steep Bute Inlet country. Lots of high ground and steep hills there.
The Self-loader in Sayward was sold to Tom Brown a few years back. He took all the rigging off and converted it into a gravel truck.
I can't imagine someone buying such a big truck with a 6-71! Nevertheless, in the early 50's lots of the biggest off highway trucks had relatively small engines. The chain drive 584 often had a 220 Cummins, with 5x2's. The 888 was as big as the 849S, and they often used the 220, as well. Most were upgraded to 275's or 290's. Even the big HDX often had a 6-110 Jimmy. All of them trucks pulled logs, indeed, many pulled some of the biggest logs, ever. Here is a 888, with some Sitka Spruce sticks.
Wow,three load log on an off highway is bragging rights undeniabley,three load log on a highway truck today is few and far between,great photo!!!
Hey, Skadill, good to see you're finally on here! My friend Archie has a pic with one of those 888's, carrying one log. They had to notch the log to fit around the stakes!
They sure did pull the logs, and plenty of 'em. But I suspect the drivers earned their pay in those days. Between a weak engine and a compound transmission, with all the hills and curves, that would make for an almost constant fight with the gearboxes. Combined with no power steering, primitive brakes, and a rigid seat with just a few springs in the cushion, I would say it would make a man out of someone. I have never driven one, but I have played around with a few as a kid, that were converted to fire trucks. One of my favorite pastimes back then was to ride around with the Fire Warden, Mr. Ken Jones, and crank the old fire trucks on the settings once a week or so, to keep 'em limber. If ONLY I had the sense to take some photos. Hindsight is 20/20, eh?
Them drivers did earn their pay, for sure. At least all of the 1950's KW's I've seen in BC had power steering, but they were still pretty crude.
More Old KW's 888 and 848S chain drives.
Some from today in Campbell River
KW 849 preloaders ex-McKay for sale ca. 2007/2008
Nice pics tyler. I have not seen Sproat Lake's logging trucks since 2005, and at that time my camera had some kind of malfunction
Looks to me those are 850 as they have the rigid frame.
This is what happens after you jack knife the trailer hard backing it into the shop the day before
Rest of pictures
Tyyota; You might be right. When they were for sale they were offered as 849 models. Here are some different KW 850
More KW pics - that blue KW dump truck is a bit odd
Kim - Post #59 Pic #4 - To me that view clearly shows the tapered C channel flex frame of the 849.
Yes, specifically, a 849S. Like in the 848 model, there was the standard 848, which was narrower and generally lighter all around, than the off-highway model, the 848S. "S" stood for "Special". Here is a 849S, ex J. Borer Trucking.
Thanks for the extra info trakloader. My observations have been: 848: 10-3/4" Deep C Channel Flex Frame - 34" Width 849: Variable Web Flex Frame - 40" Width 850: Rigid Frame - 40" Width (Similar to HDX, WHDX & P16's) Maybe you have more info to add?
1975 Kenworth 849 Moves houses now,so it still sorta hauls wood,just not the round ones.Took these a few days ago.Got a full video walk around on my skadill youtube channel,if any ones would like to see more of it,and it #'s
It would appear that it is one of the rare offset cab trucks. ??
Kw 850
Tyler; you are rigth. It's 848 or 849. Somebody told me 849 was offered/rebuild with rigid frame but I am not sure if that's correctBorn2clearcut;
KW 848 or 849 at KW Burnaby summer 1982 - owner Duncan Logging?
A new KW 848 or 849 at KW Burnaby summer 1982
( More KW pics - that blue KW dump truck is a bit odd ) Hayesno1, That blue Kenworth in your photo is the dump truck that we modified in order to haul as much bark/wood waste that would accumulate after sorting the logs on the paved dryland deck. When I dig up my old photos, I'll post them to show you. It is the WFP Quatsino Dryland Sort located in Port Alice BC. The waste pile would get very large and one guy would drive the truck all day up and down the hill hauling the debree into the "pit". The "pit" was created when they built the dryland sort by blasting rock and dumping into the water to build out the 10 or so acres of flat land in the late seventies. I spent twelve years there and when I started, they hauled debree down into the pit and when I left the pit area was higher than it's original height. Every summer there would be fires in the pit as a result of the compositing action. The truck was bought used to replace an old Ford 9000 that was worn out and stop using an oversized slip-on bucket for the Cat 980 loaders as it was slow and cumbersome. This KW was solid and with the logs pulled out of the salt water the corrosion would eat away very quickly any any thinner metals. This KW held up well as I remember. The welder spent some time doing the mods on this KW and I remember after he cut the sides and notched the I beams, we used a Cat 980 front-end loader to bend the box side out. This truck could carry a huge load of debree. It looks to me like they retired the old girl. Must be parked at Port McNeil? Mike
Can not get the logging out of your blood can you Mike. Still wish you were driving off highway?
MikeKb remember this truck?
Once a logger always a logger. I just didn't like the constant "layoffs" everytime the market slowed down. Yah I do miss driving those old girls Now I drive a different vehicle. That truck looks familiar, is it one of the trucks used by the contractors in Port Alice? By the way 075, who am I speaking to? Send me an email at cbeekman(at)telus(dot)net Mike
MikeKB, Welcome aboard this great site. Thanks for sharing history of old blue KW dump truck. You are right; it was parked at Port McNeil in 2007 when I shot pictures. Sadly I did not see her in 2010. Maybe somebody know her present status?
075; More pics of same truck. Pics were shot at Holberg 2005. It was parked at Saratoga (CR) in 2006. I guess she was parted out?
Hayesno1, Thanks for the welcome. This is a great site. I enjoy the photos, it brings back alot of memories. I left WFP in 1999 and went to work at Madill in Nanaimo. I returned to visit WFP in 2006 and alot had changed in the North Island. I stayed at Madill until 2003 and built alot of 2200 feller bunchers, 2800, 3800 and 4800 log loaders, but got tired of the lengthy "lay offs" and the mismanagement of Madill. It was a sad demise of the Madill product, alot of good mechanics and fabricators lost their jobs. Rumour has it that a former owner has bought up the rights and may start building the 3800's LL again in Victoria. Only time will tell
Don Stone bought the truck new in 1980 .He bought the first truck from western when they started to sell them to the drivers in 1979 in Mahatta River.He first had 04 a 849 Kenworth with an allison, made good money hauling for western during the week and interfore on weekends.Had to sell out when he threatened to shot the manager and they cancelled his contract .The truck then went to Holberg had two different owners there, until the last owner passed away.Had that truck hanging from the front bumper when Don put it over the bank in Mahatta 7220's can lift.
"Don Stone" now there is a name I hadn't heard in a very long time....Now I remember the truck....Wasn't it unit #2104? Mike
Underslung springs only have seen them on Kenworths, never on a Hayes, or Pacific. Rayonier bought a pile of them in the 60s Not much ground clearance U bolts aways draging on green Roads
Easier to change out a broken leaf:thumbsup
Another KW with underslung springs
Couple of Kip Browns rehaul trucks and trailers in Powell River . used to rehaul wood out of the lake under the hiway and dumped into the strait
Three of Sprit lakes trucks for sale
Got Hayes and Kenworth mixed up
Kw Took this a year ago,Fraser Valley,B.C., could be a Dorman truck.Appears to have the ex Canfor look to it.
Another old rock truck, didn't have time for more pics, or I'd have missed the ferry.
My favorite thread, those 850's were and still are a great truck.
Kw A sister truck to post #84.Ex-Canfor I believe.took last year,truck is gone now.Trailer certainly appears to be one size too big for the truck
Certaintly 1 size to big. Good pictures again skadill.
WFP KW 850 in Gold River
Combined sander - fire truck - WFP Gold River Div.
Love those Smith sandbox's They were without a doubt the BEST sanders in the BC forest industry The drop-in fire tanks were just a bonus
That's a versatile truck, probly can't go over 40kmh but never the less useful for sanding or water truck standby.
849S, missing a few parts....
Actually that truck would probably do about 50 MILES PER HOUR We dont use kmh here All these trucks on here were PRE-METRIC Think inches and feet It will put you in the right era
I figured, I use standard anyways, just not for speed. But that's faster than I thought, what year is it?
WFP KW850 Holberg Div.
I am Pretty sure all Western Kenworths up to 2128 are all 849Rf'S we still have 2114 and it is the same as 12 except it has a fifth wheel and a Clark 8 speed auto trans .I think 12 now has a 18 speed.Did you get a picture of the Buckley Valley Kenworth preload when you were there its the last of the 5 or 6 they bought back in the 70's they came with Allison trans v12 cummins engines and I believe 100,000,rears .121 planataries 90,000 diffs
100,000 rears, holy man, what's the difference between an 849RF, and an 849? And you mean a normal eaton 18 speed?
I was told the 849RF's frames were taken over to Dominion Bridge, and put in thier big oven and heat treated in some way ,I can't rememeber any of them having cracks in the frames. I am not dead ceartain on the diffs. I have drove the truck lots over the years and always thought they were 121's but was told they are not. It does have 121 planitaries
Ah ok, but thats a lot more than 46,000 highway truck rears. And isn't heat treated or tempered steel more brittle?
HDX; Yes they look great. Look at this sander/fire combo truck(same spot). It says KW but look at bumber, rad. guard lights and front axle is somehowe misplaced compare to fenders I wonder if this truck was rebuild of different truck makes
You are right - they are 849RF not 850 . Sorry I have never seen Buckley Valley Kenworth preload. I saw these 2 KW preloders - these are 850 I think, but I might be wrong
2143 is the Buckley Valley truck 2151 is just a regular 850 it came out of Mahatta River when we amalgamated with Juene Landing,Juene Landing had all contract trucks and 51 was a company truck so it went to Holberg.2143 is much longer truck because of the V12 cummins it had in it and is bit of a pig to turn around. Nice driving truck though .Nice pictures, way better than mine of the same trucks. Did you count the tires on the lowbed its self? Inside flat takes on a whole new meaning with it.
075; thanks for information. More pics of #2143 - well 16 tires on the lowbed
Boy you sure do not miss much .I love your enthusiasm to come all they way over here to look at trucks.Had many rides in them.Lemare has the sister to that lowbed.Have funny story about that lowbed if I ever see you.
You should try to find the fuel tank on that thing its in a place you do not see very often.
075; Thanks. Well I am planning to go to BC in 2012. You know 90th Hayes aniversary. I guess attached pics from LLL is the sister. See goose neck it says "Domans"
First Page in 848 Parts Book Anyone remember "Burns & Cess Ford Logging"?
Old magazine ad.
I was told this is the last 850 Kenworth built. Built for Boar logging in 1988 it was their lowbed truck in Doc Creek
075, I believe that Olympic's H-41 and H-42 were the last two to be built in Burnaby. Anyone have any idea how many were built after they moved East? And the year they closed the Burnaby plant?
Questions for CONTRACT LOGGER. I have not finished looking at this thread yet. Some much stuff on all these threads to check out. So, my questions. Do you see our off highway Peterbilts at Camp Baker, in any of your 'after' St. Helen pics? We had 2. My dad owned them and leased them to his brother, Rex Ross. They came from Aloha Lumber Co. I think they were the only off highway Petes working there. My uncle Norman's Kenworth Brute that I mentioned in the Hayes thread was also there. Dad got paid off on the Petes by the insurance company. Norman had just recently sold the Brute to one of our contract truckers. He was nearly done getting it ready for work again, when he keeled over of a heart attack. I don't know where the Brute went after that. I also wondered if you had any pics of our equipment, either before, or after. We were rigged up below Hanaford Lake. 110 feet of Tillman steel tube and Skagit BU 80 drums. 500 horse cat. All 6 1 3/8 guylines out. She was waiting on the landing for me to pull old growth fir, but when we got there after the blast, she was laid down and broke in peices. The 108 Link Belt rolled 2 1/2 times. The 2300 Mantowoc stayed upright, taking the worst with the counter weight. Blew all the sheet metal off the front and dropped the boom. Moved both dozers. TD 24 and a brand new TD 20. The 24 was later brought to life long enough to help salvage the other equipment for scrap. The TD 20 ended up being rebuilt. One side looked 100 years old. The other looked like new with Ross & Sons in black on the yellow paint, still proud. Only found peices of our fire truck and the cutters pickup, but that didn't happen till August when the parts showed up as orange rust in the gray ash. The cutters truck was blown 1/2 mile. I found some bones at the tail end of the debris. Only the stuff above the ash. Everything under the ash was completely eaten away and gone. What I found looked like finger and wrist bones, and a few feet away, ankle and foot bones. Not enough to do anything with. In your travels, were you familiar with our outfit? Ross & Sons Logging. My dad started out with his dad in the 1930's. Falling with a misery whip. Logging with a single drum donkey. My dad was the haulback! In those days it was James Ross & Sons out of Carrols Wa. The outfit was moved to the Olympic Peninsula when I was 4 years old. 1957. Moved a right of way side back to the So. Fork of the Toutle in 1974. The 108 Link Belt, we got from Evans Bros at auction. Used it for loading the R.O. W. It had a Clark undercarriage. We picked up the operater for it also. Don Anderson. The control knobs on that machine were worn all goose egg shaped from his fingers. He ran the machine since new. He could cast that grapple clear to the end of the cable and grab a log. Many times I climbed up to stick the knob back in the drum so he could drag them in. The machine standing on 2 outriggers. O.K. so looking at all this stuff brings back memories. Just had to post.
O.K, 1 more post and I'll blow the quitting whistle for the day. My younger brother, Paul, and I had sneaked away from the house to go fishing. I may have been 12, Paul 10. we were 1 mile west of Aloha, and fishing in Joe Creek. A railroad trestle crossed above the logging road where we were doing our sneak fishing. We had not been there long. A few log trucks had gone by. We were just downstream from a log bridge over Joe Creek, near the trestle. Comes another truck. We hear the jakes come on. We both turned and looked. It was our uncle Norman in his blue and silver off highway KW. We thought we had been spotted. In big trouble. No, uncle Norman stopped just shy of the railroad trestle. he got out and had himself a look. The load was too high to go under the trestle which was 30' above the road. We watched him pull the wrappers off the load, and then retrieve a peevee from the brush next to the road. He climbed up on the load and levered the top log off the load. Now he could clear. Don't remember if he threw wrappers again. It was only a mile to the log dump. A couple times a year, Aloha Lumber would send a machine and a truck to the trestle area to load out the logs dropped there that were too high to go under. Caught a couple of nice trout that day. Told mom we got them out of the log pond closer to home. Now everyone knows.
Great story, really interesting, awesome to read, anymore?
One more. On the water brakes. When I was a kid, in the 1960's, we hunted on the upper Coweeman. My grandpa and dad's stomping grounds. The old railroad grades were still used for logging roads. At some of the streams there were old riveted rail cars on timbers. The off highway trucks stopped there to fill their tanks with water for the brakes. They left nice, wet trails on the road. We filled our drinking water containers there also. Even into the 70's those off highway trucks were still running water cooled brakes. I drank gallons of water from the same source. We had one show on the south Toutle with a 26% grade. My uncle had a truck get away from him just below the steepest part. We went up on the weekend and replaced the rods in the engine. All bent from over revving. He used the ditch on the high side to get her whoa'ed down. A common practice before run away ramps. We were logging blow down from the Columbus Day Hurricane. Dangerous work bucking logs blown over with root wads still attached. Dad & I lived in a camper at a gravel pit on the S. fork of the Toutle 6 days a week from Jan. thru Aug. I quit to take a job in a shake mill closer to home and my family at the coast. We logged high lead at the Beach for a couple more years, and then moved it all to St. Helens. The rest is history.
Great stories thanks for sharing, I sure enjoyed them.
The Columbus Day Storm. You must be about my age. I'm a '56 model. Born in Aberdeen. I recall the Columbus Day storm, and the mess of blowdown it left. My dad started with Weyco as a surveyor at Twin Harbors in about 1954. He came there from Potlatch in the Idaho Panhandle, where he worked with the legend himself, Red McCollister. They lived next door to each other in Headquarters. IIRC, when the Columbus Day Storm hit, my father didn't hit a lick surveying for some time. He stayed in the logging end of the business until the blowdown was gone. I recall him bragging about the stellar safety record they maintained, even working in that mess. To this day, his name is still on a lot of the original Weyco surveys at Twin Harbors. Didn't Aloha Lumber Company sell out to Weyco in about 1966 or so? Weyco bought somebody out in Aloha at about that time, and I'm thinking it was Aloha Lumber. One of my fondest memories of my father dates back to that time. One summer day, in the early afternoon, he came home in his company pickup (we lived in Central Park, just outside of Aberdeen), and said to me, "I have to run up to a place called Aloha, to look at an outfit we just bought out, and I came home early to ask you to ride with me". I said, in so many words, "Naw, Dad, I'm way too busy doing stupid kid stuff to spend time with my Dad". Long story short, I rode with him, and I'll never forget that day. We went to Aloha, and drove out to the side. I still recall seeing a brand new KW log truck backed up to the shovel. I recall my dad saying that was a good outfit, and they treated their people well. Ever been skating at the Harborena in Hoquiam? I went back out there in 2002, and couldn't believe that place was still there.
Aloha Lumber sold out to Evans Products about the time frame your referenced. Mayr Bros took over in the 70's. Sure remember the Harborena. Yes, skated there, but my favorite was the bands that played there on weekends. Met lots of kids from town there. When the Columbus Day storm hit, we had just left Aloha headed to Carrolls outside of Kelso to go deer hunting that weekend. The winds got worse as we traveled. Dad had to stop and cut trees from the Oakland cutoff. No hunting that weekend. couldn't get into the woods. Was just talking on the phone with my Dad today about how large some of those cedars on the Reservation were. Many times we had wood to large to fit between the bunks on those off highway trucks. We would pack the hollow butt with dynamite and split them that way. Often would score the sides with a chainsaw, notch one end for a strap and hold the log up with the butt rigging so it would split the lower half off. Had some logs that measured 17 foot diameter on the butt. Have home movies of topping a Spruce for a Spar tree. The number that is stuck in my head is that we topped it at 235 feet. That Spar was broke several times on that setting, and was much shorter by the time we finished logging there. I never saw a Spar tree break, but it had to be extremely dangerous for every involved. Did see a tower go down in Morton once. It fell across a turn I was pulling from the tower down to the shovel with a TD 25. We were logging tree length. Don't remember the name of the outfit I was working for. It was after St. Helens blew. I hadn't yet made the move to Alaska. Must have been 81. Worked for **** Gwinn from Vernonia on some jobs out of Castle Rock and another outfit I can't recall outside of Ryderwood. I liked Gwinn, but logging just wasn't the same, working for another outfit other than our own.
O.K. trying to put up a pic of my current ride set up for winter use. Been hauling snow and ice for an ice road to access a drill site. Here goes.
Well, I'm glad that worked. Vigilant, did you spend time at the drive in theater there in Central Park? I took a girl from the Beach there in 72 and watched 'Sometimes a Great Notion', now called Never give an Inch. Instead of trying to kiss her, I yapped all through the movie about how that was what we did all day at work. Our outfit and Jim House were the only ones logging for the mill at Aloha at the time. The woods crew had gone on strike, but the mill didn't walk with them. Were some hard feelings around town then, just like in the movie. Went to school at Moclips. Graduated in 71. We probably ran into each other somewhere in our travels.
Biggest log my Dad had cut at Vail was a 14' diameter Sitka spruce. They loaded the butt log on an off-highway truck with the tower. Loaded it whole, without blasting it. When I was a kid in Aberdeen, you could still see the spar tree left behind on just about every hill in those parts, and I suspect that a lot of 'em were topped and rigged by the late Finley Hays. There were still a lot of spars left standing at Vail back then too. I heard that Simpson still used a few spar trees at Grisdale up until they closed it down. I suspect they moved a few spars around from setting to setting and stood them up.
We moved from Central Park to Olympia in 1972 when my dad replaced Carl Weiks at Vail when Weiks retired. Carl's father is the one whom Weikswood was named after. His family was a major owner in Yard Birds/Sea Mart. Sea Mart in Oly was my home away from home. That, and the Herter's store in Lacey. I had been to the drive-in at Central Part a few times, but did not even hear about "Sometimes a Great Notion" until years later. There has been a lot of discussion about that movie here, and also in the Forestry forum at Arboristsite.com. Best movie I have ever seen. I used to swim at Lake Aberdeen and Lake Sylvia in Monte. I still have a photo of me with the first fish I ever caught at Lake Sylvia. My father built the original Bay City Dock at the Weyco sort yard in Cosi. Along with Friend & Rikalo. Don Friend and Sam Rikalo were personal friends of the family. We used to live right behind Ira Blackwell, whose father Cy Blackwell was a logging legend in those parts. Both their names are mentioned in the book "They Tried to Cut it All". You just don't know how much I miss Aberdeen.
We used local guys for our tree topping. One who's name I can recall was Pulcifer. Sometimes it was my uncle Norman Ross. My uncle fell once from 50 feet up. He was riding in a pass chain. The landing was fresh, so no logs yet. He knew there was a stump from a small tree next to the Spar and so pushed himself out away from the tree as he fell. Landed in the 'soft' stuff. doubt it felt very soft. He drove his Kenworth to the log dump at Aloha, but by the time he got there was not even able to remove himself from the cab. He swelled up badly, but was back to work in a week. I was waiting at the office in Aloha one spring day as the crummies were coming back in. My Dad was driving Norman's Travelall, and Norman was in the back, badly hurt. He had been hit by a log when the turn was pulled out. Several broken ribs. More than 1 time as a kid I saw a company guy stop at a house and give a woman a lunchbox and other belongings while informing her that she was now a widow. It always greatly upset me when in school if I saw my Dad's truck go by. Hoping it was a break down, and not an injury or fatality. I read that book you mentioned, plus several others. I watch for them on Ebay. We had giant reminders of the old trees in the second growth around the house we built 1 mile west of Aloha. Huge old cedar stumps with the spring board notches. Most were hollow inside and up to 12 feet tall. Many would have an opening where we could walk right inside. They made great forts.
Oh yeah. We had our forts, and our battles with kids from other neighborhoods. I could tell you stories. We had a lot of tall stumps left in Central Park, and many still had the notches from spring boards. And lots of huckleberry bushes, salmonberry bushes, and blackberries. Last time I was at Lake Sylvia in 2002, there were still a few small stumps left with springboard notches. I'm sure you remember J. P. Patches. He's still around, and has his own website: www.jppatches.com , of course. I even swapped a few emails with him several years ago. I still have a brand new 6 foot misery whip that my dad bought new for a dollar when Schafer Bros. sold out, plus 3 handles. He let me pull it with him one time when we were at Central Park. Schafer's shops and roundhouse are still standing in Brady, outside of Elma. The property has belonged to Vaughan Manufactoring since about the early Sixties, I believe. I heard that when a man died on a Schafer side, they hauled his body up to the landing, propped it against a tree, and left him there until they finished the day. Then, they threw him on a loaded log car, and hauled him out with the day's production. Talk about highball. That's too much IMO. I spent a couple nights at the Schafer family's old cabin when I was in the Boy Scouts. That's another memory that I'm grateful for. Remember a guy in Aberdeen named Randy Ronglin, of Ronglin Bros.? I believe they eventually bought out Friend & Rikalo. Randy and I used to go to school together in Central Park, and we hung around a lot outside of school. His dad built our house. I hear he lives high on the hog these days. I wish him well. I have been thinking seriously about moving back to Aberdeen after my parents are gone. There's a nice little prison out that way called Stafford Creek Correctional, and unfortunately, job security abounds these days.
We had two Ross sisters at Central Park School when I was there. One was named Laurie, and I believe the other was named Cathy IIRC. Kids can be somewhat cruel at that age. There was a commercial on TV back then for Doctor Ross Dog Food. So, some of us felt that it was our calling in life to sing a few bars from the song on the ad every time we saw one of them. They didn't seem to keen on us gleefully singing: "Doctor Ross Dog Food is Doggone Good. WOOF!" I also went to school with a gal named Cheryl Jo Peterson, who I believe was F. G. Peterson's daughter.
That jingle was a favorite around our house. A good book about logging at Aloha is 'Aloha Lumber Co.' by Richard Sterling. Very informative. Covers from 1906 to 2006.
I'll check it out. Thanks. I'm sure you've read The Cinderella Tree, about Mayr Bros. Or perhaps Timber Country and Timber Country Revisited, by Earl Roberge. Both are great books, and both have a section on Potlatch Forest's last log drive on the Clearwater River in Idaho, including several shots of Red McCollister. He was a logging legend. Handloggers is a classic, but sells for a fortune now. Finley Hays put out a great book on Saginaw Timber. Mostly old photos of steam donks and their crews, with some good stories. Mr. Hays was a legend himself. Ever hear of Margaret Elley Felt? Go to Amazon.com and do a search for "books by Margaret Elley Felt". She put out several really nice books on logging, including one which I believe is the story of the man who founded Murray Pacific. Her book titled 'Gyppo Logger' is a must. I read a couple chapters before I gave it to my dad, and I can tell you, Horace Felt was one crazy, one-eyed logging fool. He LOVED to play with dynamite. She did a book on Russ Ellison, who owned Ellison Pontiac in Hoquiam, and was an expert at log burling. Then there's the book titled 'Grisdale' about Camp Grisdale. There is a photo of Ira Blackwell, aka Hippo, in that book, pretty much as he looked when I knew him. he had spent so much time pulling a misery whip, that he was almost a hunchback. He was a beast of a logger. And I thought the world of him. If you've never been to the Brooklyn Tavern down below Cosi, I would strongly recommend it, if you're ever back down that way. They have mellowed out a lot, but even so, if you're not a logger and from those parts, you will probably leave feet first with a few lumps. I stopped by back in 2002 while Ray Damitio still had the place. I haven't logged in years, and did my logging in the deep South. I have a deep Southern accent as well, so I knew it would be an interesting time. Things were going pretty well until we had a difference of opinion as to whether the character Crazy Donkey was on the kids' show J. P. Patches many years ago when we were kids, or on Brakeman Bill. An old faller sitting beside me started winding up pretty tight, and I thought that might be a good time to buy a round of beer. So I rang the old bell off a steam lokie, and bought a round. They all settled down, and started thinking I was alright after all. I thought that was a good time to leave. They thanked me as I left, and I thanked them, and as I walked out the door I turned and said, "Y'awl gave a good day". One of the best times I've ever had, but it was touch and go. One more little twist about the Dr. Ross commercial: We had been warned to cease and desist, because the girls' parents had called and complained. so we did.... and then one day in a history lesson, the teacher started talking about a historic explorer named Rolfe. I couldn't resist. I just couldn't. I replied in my best tenor voice, "Doctor Ross dog food is dog gone good. Rolfe!" I was introduced to the Board of Education shortly thereafter, and it was not pleasant. The Board of Education was a huge paddle about 17 feet long, 8 feet wide and 2 feet thick. As Clint Eastwood would say, it would take a man's butt cheeks clean off. It only took once for most kids to learn the lesson. It took two sessions in my case, the first being a little incident in the First Grade when I told all the kids at school that there was no such thing as Santa Claus. But again I digress. Carry on.
By the way, AK, I hope you don't mind. I did a cut and paste on those two posts of yours in the St. Helens thread, where you talked about the aftermath of the eruption, including when they told your dad he had lost everything. I trimmed it up a bit, and saved it to disc. I can't tell you how those two posts affected me. I was in North Carolina when she blew, and never really thought about all the lives that eruption devastated. I hate it for you.
I have most of the books you mentioned. When St. Helens first started acting up, we were logging off the Toledo cutoff on Cedar Creek. I was running yarder at the time. I had a perfect view of those early steam and ash eruptions. We couldn't wait to get to the high country to see it from up close. It stopped erupting and started swelling just before we made the move. No one expected what was to come. Sure changed a lot of lives in our family. I probably would have kept right on logging. My older brother Dan, built a custom sawmill in Toutle and still saws old growth when he can get the wood. That's all he runs through his saw. Youngest brother, Robert still falling timber. Was falling for Fudge. Not sure if he is still with them. Rest of us are doing 'something else'. Had quite a few family members on our crews. Brothers, uncles, cousins. Funny thing, when Robert first joined me on the landing on the Reservation, he was completely amazed that I could pick up one of our McCulloch saws and tell him whether it needed gassed up. Hey, an empty saw weighs less. I handled those saws a lot. Wore out dozens of them. Wonder what CL would call our Tillman tower, Skagit yarder combo. Tillgat? Skagman? We snapped the mainline sheave off the top on a hang up in 1973. The whole thing shot down onto the gantry of the American shovel we were using at the time. Mainline was of course cut with 100 feet coming down on the yarder, rest out towards the rigging crew. (never liked breaking cables, especially the mainline, too dangerous) The boom on the shovel came down and broke when it hit the ground. Part of the counterweight came off. Larry Zimba was inside doing some adjustments or greasing. Really shook him up. The landing looked like a charge had gone off. The saws (3) and gas can were gone over the edge of the landing. Tools were scattered. The sheave ended up about 80 feet from the landing after bouncing off the shovel. If I had been where I normally was, WELL!!! I had run down the road to the crummie to get a tool for my Dad. I jumped on the step of a log truck that was backing towards the landing when it happened. Just one of many close ones I had in the woods.
The saw I loved the most back in the day... was the 870 Homelite. With about a 34" roller nose bar....... if I was female, I'd be wet right now.... Such a shame Homelite went down the toilet. I still have an 051 in near mint condition. I mostly ran 070s in the woods. I was a crazy man with a chain saw. They called me the Wood Butcher.
Check out my post in the chainsaw thread. I have the mate to your 051 and MANY more. Have a 1130 G Super listed on craigslist in kenai.
O.K. since this is a KENWORTH thread, I better say something about TRUCKS. My youngest son works for PACCAR, running an IT department supervising 40 employess. I asked him to see what kind of advertisement or brochures he can dig up for us. He said he would talk to some old timers there who are into that stuff and get some things to post. I had more pics of my truck on my older computer that crashed on me. No backup, so only a couple recent ones. I plan to get a scanner so I can get some of my old timey pics into the digital age. Have a FEW logging pics to scan. We were all to busy logging to take many pics, but some that I have are pretty cool. Huge trees, big trucks, big saws. We loaded a 3 log load of Doug fir on Mac McNews Peterbilt for him to run in the parade at Amboy one year. A little over height, but only had to remember to get in the left lane on I-5 going under Brinion St in Kelso. Mac was tooling down the road thinking about how good he was going to look on Saturday and forgetting it was Friday. He remembered just before Brinyon (sp) St to get over, but too late. Car to the left and no time to get her whoaed up. Yup, hit the bridge. Moved it. The log was dragged back a ways and scrapped enough bark off it and the ones under it to let him blow on through. Busted a rearend. Got cited. Wasn't in the parade. He did M.C. the playday though. I took home ribbons in 3 chainsaw events and ax throwing. My brother Robert took 1st in ax throwing, I was 2nd. a 1st 2nd and 4th in the chainsaw events. 4th was in obstacle pole bucking. The pole was lashed to a flatbed truck and put out over the log rolling pond. I was the first one to cut a piece off without swimming. After I went, several others got out there and eventually shortened the pole quite a bit, making it much stiffer. They cut off WAY more than they were allowed to. The pole had stripes painted on it. One guy cut off about 3 FEET. I wanted a chance to go again after that, but had to settle for the 4th place ribbon. KENWORTH. There, I said it again.
Lots of these stories you guys are posting should be on the St. Helens thread, I have to keep jumping over to it to see the stuff you're talking about. Maybe copy and paste it into that thread?
I kind of like these threads where people ramble on about their experiences in the industry. God knows, I do it! It breaks up the pictures and gives the whole forum a bit of a flow. Keep them coming....
I am loving the storys, keep them coming I will find them where ever you post them. Got to get my morning fix before heading off to work. Makes for very enjoyable reading.
Mars Industries KW 850 #A12
Always have liked the look of Kenworths but found they all ride like Buckboards ,compared to Hayes and Pacifics even Macks!
Wow, Mars still load their trailers the proper way! You hardly see that anymore. The reaches on our trailers are all beat to Hell from bouncing up and down, with the goofy way they have of loading trailers now.
Trakloader; I dont think Mars Industries is around anymore. HDX or hayeslogtruck should know. Here is Mars KW 849 or 850 with lowbed. Truck got old paint scheme. Cameron Div. summer 2005
O.K. this one is no longer a log truck, but it pulled double chip trailers, logs, and lowboys in B.C. for Doyle Transport/Western Seaboard. I bought the Nahanni box brand new at the same RB auction where I got the truck in 01. I just pulled the snow boards off yesterday and started hauling gravel. Took the pics then. Got to get my floats back on the front axle next. She's dirty, not ready for the show when I took these pics. Sorry, she's a working truck. N14 Celect Plus 525, 18 speed, 46 rears w/ full lockers, high lift gate, body vibrator. Just replaced the exhaust from the blower back. She's decked out nice inside with leather, chrome, wood grain, and even a rosewood shift knob. I did haul 9 loads of logs in it last fall from a clearing job, and took them back to my gravel pit. Now I take my big Stihls to that log pile and make firewood and lots of wood chips. FUN!!!
NICE looking T800. As an owner/operator truck, it ought to last longer than its current owner. With a 525 and an 18, you're loaded for bear. Seems a bit heavy for a tandem, but IIRC, y'awl don't have weight laws up there, do you? Looks like you don't have a tarp law either, which is good. I enjoyed my time in tandem dumps, but you can have the lift axles. Takes all the fun out of it IMO.
That's right, no tarp law, YET. I can haul 55,000 with the floats on the steer axle. She tares at 24,000 and change depending on how much fuel in the tanks and how many tools I'm packing. I have a tarp I put on it when I'm hauling asphalt. Some of our trips get long when paving. 90 miles one way. They don't give anything for a drop axle here, so one less thing to deal with. This truck works real well on grubbing jobs, or hauling topsoil. The box measures out at 18.9 yards to the water line. Had an International that I could get under 20,000 tare, but the power plant was miserable small. A DT 466 with a whopping 210 horse. Was a nice truck for getting around on tight job sites though. When I get some of my old photos scanned, I'll post some pics hauling decorative rock the size of small cars. Hate hauling that stuff. Too easy to dent the box, even after bedding and setting them in with a hoe.
For a lightweight tandem, I think the Kenworth T300, or whatever they call it now, is the way to go. If you got that International down to 20,000, I'm very confident that the KW would go at least as low.
More KW 849s
More 849RFs
849rf Just been doing some research and the literature says the "RF" stands for "Rigid Frame". So I guess the 849RF could be considered the missing link between the 849 and 850?
KW's Some KW pics from old slides. One is MAR, another J.A. McKay, not sure about the others. That blue highway truck was getting on in years even when the picture was taken. The loader on the lowbed looks like a Bucyrus Erie. Anyone have any ideas on where these were taken? I'd guess these were taken around 1977.
One more..........
Thats what I figured too trakloader. Does your literature indicate what the difference was between a 849RF and an 850?
No, but it seems as though the 849RF was the latest thing in 1964. And I'm not clear on when the 849RF was discontinued. I know that the 849S was being built at the same time as the 850, but I'm not sure if the 849RF was also made alongside the 850.
Domion Bridge went out of business about 68 or 69 they also made the Domion Loader. Rayonier bought all the machines they had sitting there plus all the parts for them who can forget the tagomatic tag.When they shut down is when I think they quit making the RF's as they could no longer treat the frames . I will talk to one the guys here who might know about it.
Aha, so the '69 RF over here might be one of the last ones built. Interesting!
Okay, Wikipedia says that Dominion Bridge closed their Burnaby plant in the mid 70's. ???
The red and white truck is H48 from Kelsey Bay Division. August of 1984 should be written above the drivers door if memory serves me correct. Steve Katovic got her new, she was the lowbed truck along with H275 for many years. I will post a picture of her in better days at Kelsey Bay on M+B page.
Well there you go. Maybe it was just the loaders they quit making in the late sixtys, 40 years fog the memories some what. Will ask Jerry more about it .He has owned two 849's sense 1980 and pulled wrenches on them long berofe that
An 849Rf with an oops. Still can smell the urine!!!
Some day I must scan my pics of the P-16 that had the same thing happen. Trailer straddled the guardrail on the bridge, trailer and load went right to the bottom. Damn near took the truck and driver with it! Got lots of pics of old Freddy Rioux on the 7230 cleaning up the mess.
Used to have those useless priemier hitchs on the trucks here, they would come open at the most unopertune times. Seen 2114 loaded and unloaded and loaded again 4 times in 200 feet of road the last time the loader operator had to unload him he just put the trailer back on the truck and sent him in to the shop .Next day the truck had scoop on it problem solved.
I was to believe that the 849RF was the under slung rear spring version of the 850. I know that they were still produced in 72 as Andy Byrne got some new trucks then. When Roy Saunders bought all those Kenworths for the Kemano haul in 75-76, they were 850's with the above spring suspension.
That makes sense all the trucks up to 2119 have underslungs 2128 is the first one I know of with regular springs.
Went and checked today with my Guru of all things Kenworth.All 849&850's are Rigid Frames 848's are flex frames. In the begining when they made the first ones they used a new steel alloy,and they thought the frame had to be "seasoned" after welding so hence the time in the oven,turned out that was not needed.The differance between a 848&849 is the length of the frame,849 is about 32' give or take inches , and 849 is29' give or take inches. Here two pictures of a 849 and a 850 note the different bumpers an indication of different frame lengths, the 849 is straight and the 850 is curved. Not allways acurate, will show why in different post.
Thanks 075,but I gotta tell 'ya, KW stuff can be bloody well confusing! I've been doing some research into the big KW loggers, and I'll share what I've found; Right after the war, KW brought out the big chain drive Model 588. It was equipped with the Knuckey bogey like the ones on the big tank retrievers. Power was a Hall-Scott gas engine, Hercules diesel, or Cummins 180. 14.00-24 rubber was standard, but you could get optional 16.00-24's on the rear. Bunks were up to 14ft. and the trucks pulled Columbia 35 ton trailers. Also available was the 584, which was similar to the 588, with some features of the later 888. It was almost identical to the 588, but used standard Timken axles instead of the Knuckey Bogey. Next came the big model 888, which was similar to the 588 in most respects, but the frame was wider and heavier, and power was the 275 supercharged Cummins. Bunks, trailers, tires, etc. were the same as the 588. The 888 is easily identifiable by the four large holes in the front bumper. Many of them were sold with special kits, which enabled the owner to quickly convert the truck from a logger, to a 25yd. dump truck, and back again. The last chain drive, I believe, was the model 848S, on which chain drive was an option right into the early 60's. I have been unable to uncover any reference to an 849S with chain drive, but I wouldn't be surprised if some were built. The original reason for going with the chain drive, as stated by KW, was to allow enough gear reduction to turn the huge 16.00-24's. I believe that another reason was the huge supply of Knuckey bogies that Pacific Car & Foundry had left over after the war.... No chain drives were built in Seattle after 1956, but it seems that Canadian KW was building them later than that. Now, the 848 was sometimes called the "narrow base" 848. It was really more of a heavy duty highway truck. The 848S had a wider stance, and larger tires. It was overall a heavier duty truck than the standard 848. The 849 was available in 849, 849S, and 849RF models. Again, the standard 849 was more of a highway truck. The "S" means "special", but I don't think I've seen to 849S's that were the same. Perhaps each "S" model was custom built? The 849RF, the first reference to it that I have uncovered was an article about a mine written in 1964, which referred to the new rock trucks as "KW's new rigid frame Model 849RF" So, that is what I have uncovered to date. I'm learning more every day, though!
You can not judge 849&850's by bumpers . Here is one 849 with different bumper .Had to change it when he put N14 in it and had to move the rad forward. It also has the fifth wheel with a bunk.
Some KW pictures - 4th pic is from Port Alice - 075; you might know those trucks. By the way 075, is the Pacific P500S dump truck with 3 axle dump trailer still going strong around in your neighbourhood? I only saw it once - South of Port Alice. Sadly I never got a picture of her.
Another KW truck from Port Alice. Same truck 075 posted pics of recently
Hayesno1 the pictures you just posted ! The top picture of the 850--It was owned by Butch Wright from Lake Cowichan and he converted her to a tandem steer unit and she went to the oilfields (Alberta I believe)
HDX, Thanks for info. Here are few more pics of KW from log dump at Ker Point.
very tough trucks
Boy Hayesno1 you sure get around for some one who lives on the other side of the planet.And yes the little pacfic is still here I just seen it dump 3 hours ago. And the log dump where you took those pictures is our Thurban dump The 850 with the water tank on it is our lowbed truck and 2114 with the lowbed on it in your pictures is just a tanker truck now.Curently in Port McNeill with a broken trans. You must have taken those pictures about four years ago as one of Koprino logging trucks was parked there.The lowbed that is on 2114 has Had seven feet cut out of the middle of it and the ramps removed and beavertails added,So we can lowbed up our narrow spurs.
075, I don't think all 849's were rigid frame - just the 849RF.
You are absolutly right that is a flex frame. We are learning something new here every day ,Thank you for the information. It even looks different than the RF's.
Yes, 075, like I said, the KW off highway trucks are a COMPLICATED subject! Looking at the frames on an old 848S, and an 849RF, they are TOTALLY different. Yet, the frame on a nearby 849S looks almost identical to the old 848S. So exactly what options made a standard 849 into an 849S? And the 849RF is so different, it just seems to be larger all around. Longer, wider, and taller.
075; Thanks for interesting info as usual. You are right pics were taken in 2005. Great to Pacific dump truck is still going strong. Here are a few more pics from Thurban dump - I like that old selfloader converted to some kind of line horse.
Just found some measurements I took of a 196? 848S. Serial # 81392 Series DS6. From rear of frame to the front bumper is 27ft. 10in. Frame is 34 1/2" wide behind the cab. Frame rail above the bogey is 9in. Tires are 12.00-24. I will track down a 849S and do the same measurements.
Kenworth sure built alot of different trucks I was suprised to just how many variations there of thesame model. it is quite interesting,hope more people can contribute more on this.
More huge KW from Port McNeill
That tandam steering truck is now this one. Jerry converted back to single axle should start hauling next week with it. That self loader with what looks like a line horse winch on it can from Gold River,It is my brother inlaws uncles old truck. We were going to convert it to a line horse but Zeballos's line horse came avalable so they sold it.
Why would they need tandem steering on a truck? I've seen the same size without tandem steering. Is it on highway or different roads?
They were going to use it as ramp truck for hauling grade hoes,just better weigth carrying with extra wheels.
075 The trailer reach I just gotta ask!!!! LOL I did notice the new lift strap Dont you guys have juicers to scissor them. Even with the babbit knobs they get cut up The old 7220s with 2--3--and 4 point grapples were far more forgiving
Few pic's of Powell Daniels container truck and fuel truck
O.K I drive a Kenworth, but I'm gonna say something about an off Highway Pete. My Dad owned 2 that we bought from Aloha Lumber when they sold out. He leased them to my Uncle Rex who drove one of them, my cousin Mark driving the other. Well, Mark got hurt bad riding dirt bikes on one of our crazy outings. Couldn't drive his Pete for 6 months. Our shovel operator, Larry Zimba drove Mark's truck to the landing every morning. We would load out Rex, then the rest of the string. Mark's truck was parked in a turnout down the road. I would ride down there and drive her to the landing. Back in, hook up the trailer, and on went a load of old growth fir. After getting the load on, I pulled up the spur and down the road and parked her in the turnout again. Rex came back and swapped trucks. I would get his and go through the same routine. Well, one load was extra large. I crammed her in deep-under, throttled up and eased out the clutch and started up the steep grade from the landing. Up comes the steer axle, but I'm going ahead on her! Get to the slight bend in the spur. Truck goes straight, road NOT straight. I whoa her up. Ease back a ways, Try again. Steer axle 3 feet above the road. I can't make that little corner. Tried several times. Rex gets back and is mad as hell at me cause the routine is all messed up. I tell him we have to take a log or 2 off to make the hill since it won't steer around the corner. I've seen this before, and know that often times an experienced driver can pull away from the landing with the steer tires only touching occasionally. Rex gets in. Let's out the clutch and same as me has the steer tires 3 feet off the gravel. Ahead he goes. Cranks in some extra angle and lets off the throttle just enough to get the steer tires to touch a couple of times and point the Pete up the road. Experience in action!
That thing in the middle of the reach?Its for our split loads, you drop and hook up the trailer then you place a pipe down on the thing you see there.You then load a double load of either small pulp or small sawlogs ,put two sets of wires around both loads do them up then pull the pipe out and drive away after you put on the load wrappers. When the load get dumped you have two 40 ton loads in the water, that go straight to the pulp mill here or on the barge for APD, saves big bucks on dryland costs.The lifting straps last about a week around the juicers, its just old dump mainline, have miles of it, I run a Johnson grapple 11/2" wide and rarely tear up the line its all in how you set it down.
Wow Thats a great idea for splitting loads--always been a problem down here also! Do you have any probs with it on a switchback or is it mostly second growth and low country??? Thanks for explaining it
Once you put the wires around the load you have to pull it out can't even make a small corner with it in ,if you have a least half of a load on you can pull it up a little bit out of the holder on the reach. Next time I use it will take some pictures. Holberg came up with this about two years ago.
That would be GREAT Thats the Comp pin your talking about isnt it!!!!
No its the pipe we put on the reach, when it is in the holder on the reach and you have some wood on on it will not let the bunks turn, its like having both bunk pins in. The drivers do not like it all that much because of the wires .We use old line that they buy somewhere with an eye in one end 5/8" to3/4" ,and you but four of them on.You drop a pass chain down though hole in the middle of the load that the pipe makes and pull the wires over two at a time one for each side.After you have all four wires over you catspaw the ends of the wires into the eyes.After the wires are done you pull the pipe out. It has a trailer lifting strap on the top of it, and comes out really easy.We use it for small and large pulp and small sawlogs, this way we do not need to use the highway trucks all the time,all they do is burn up all your bunk logs and make it hard to get rid of the chunks. I am going over there tomorow for fire wood will take a picture of the pipe.
It all becomes clear Very interesting idea And it WORKS
Some old 1972 preload 849RF from Powell River area
That one truck looks like maybe a buckskin slid off the load at one time. Big dent in the top rad tank.
Looks that way, but its the grill guard that has the ding in it. These trucks were all up-dated later with turbo 12-71s and had the underslung spring changed out to top/regular type. Also rewired, removed the 100 wire factory harness and run 5 wires to do it all. was always a sore point in Kenworth cabs.
Funny how the tires kind of date the pictures
The 4th pic, that must be a pretty old truck. It has the old style cab. I swear them cabs were designed for guys that were five feet tall.
Remember going from bias ply to radials and all the fussing!!!!!
Yeah that's a 1964, small windows, hand lever for the retarder, Bostrum T bar seat and a one speed heater, life was good. HDX,075, the Michelin years, every one had the "happy face" tread back then.
Wait a minute, what do you mean that a 64 is really old? I can remember stepping up from a 1958 B cab mule train to a 1964 long logger thinking I had died and gone to heaven. Of course that was in 1972...
Pictures of load splitter and wires
Greatwestcam I have two MINT 14:00X25 Happy face Michelin tires stashed away in a safe dry place just waitin for a certain truck to come home!!! They were the BEST tire we had but they kept changing the compounds in them Talked the the Michelin Rep at Truckspo in Vancouver one year and we got into it about them and he said that they were an awful tire--So I said well why dont you give Goodyear the moulds and see what happens This seemed to visably bother him so I left! OH and by the way I still have a Bostrom T bar seat in H17 This is the third in 36 years in this truck and they all have been the manual ones NOT the air assist ones. Only problem now is the one in there now has no grease fittings on it! BEST SEAT EVER I have seen some of the newer ones that cost more that we should talk about go for a crap because one of the plastic bushings breaks and then you got a seat flopping around and that was why the seat was replaced in the first place to say nothing of the mods made to get it to fit in there in the first place You all probably Been There Done That!!!!!
HDX, I bet those are the last two in the country! Was it the Goodyear or Firestone the tire guys hated, could never get them off the rim, remember seeing them use the 980 to break the bead. Good on the seat, your right the newer ones we are fixing all the time, all ways the back rest, as the air ride part never see air in it. Still don't no why most drivers want to sit on the floor?
I was laughing last year, they put "new" front tires on Dad's grader. One had the happy face tread, and the other was a Goodyear "Logging and Rock Service" tire with the decorative diamonds around the outside! I was just talking to one of our old drivers, he remembered the two 849RF's used at QCD. H-203 and 204. They had the underslung springs, and evidently, they were a disaster, kept breaking, leaving the truck sitting on its springs, blocking the road. He said after about 15 times they rebuilt them with conventional suspension. That experience soured them on KW's, so the next truck to arrive was the first HDX at QCD, H-162.
Heres an odd old one
I believe that "KW" at Marine Link is just a KW Cab on an international 4x4 chassis. It has dragged many many trailers a very short distance.
Old M&B KW 849 0r 850 now a WFP fire truck
Heres another ex M&B fire tanker I found today
Which division ran them highway KW's? I have some pics of them.
Northwest Bay and Shawnigan
Here is another odd / rebuilt KW - I think a 850 model - but look at fenders very simulary to HDX fenders Gold River 2007
Coulsson KW850 unit #H24. Notice Sikorsky S61 logo. Truck had just left the shop with a new coat of paint and was waiting for barge to arrive.
Okaaay.... I just did some measurements on a 849S today. From rear of frame to front bumper is 27ft. which is SHORTER than the 848S! Frame width behind the cab seems to be the same, about 38" from outside to outside, but I think when we measured the 848S we did from inside to inside, so about the same. Front track width is also the same, at 100". Rear track is 9ft. This whole KW thing just get more confusing all the time.
that green 850 looks sweet
Still working everyday, name on the other truck, said Dorman Timber. Location on the truck was Port Alberni
You up the Harrison today Simon?
Yeah, trying out my buddies 700 Raptor, We rode way way up silver river. took the shot with my phone. Surprisingly his 700, is JUST faster then my 400ex. I say with him until mid way third gear and then he's only maybe gaining a length or so per gear, he also has slighter more top speed. Once I get a pipe, and jet and filter/outwear should be the same or a little faster. The honda held it's own. Where you at these days?
pee gee
How long are you stuck there for?
SPMiller ; KW truck is ex McKay, Port Alberni
We have a KW Model 888 DUMP chain drive truck (S/N 56455) here at the museum in Wasilla, AK. It has a 6 cylinder Hercules Diesel and a winch boom setup on the rear. Does anyone know what year this truck was built and what model of Hercules Diesel this is? Is anyone familiar with the starting button system on the dash? It appears both buttons are wired into the starter system, possibly switching the starter circuit to 24V. Not sure what wiring is standard and what has been modified over the years. What is the shutdown method for this Hercules Engine? I can't find any fuel shutdown lever on the injection pump or other system. The museum is having our annual " Blast From The Past" event this weekend, Sat, June 4th. If you are in AK, come out for a parade of antique vehicles and fun! Thanks, John
Contact your nearest KW dealer, they have the records and can send you everything you want to know. The 888 was built from about 1948-9 to 1956 or so, and they were available as a quick change logger to dump. I'd guess it is an early one, with Hercules power. Most had Cummins, the Hercules was more common on the earlier model 588. The 588 was very similar, but had a somewhat lighter frame. Does the truck have 14.00-24's, or 16.00's? I'll try to find out about the Hercules engine, I know an old timer who had one. Get back to you tomorrow. Oh, and... WHERE are the PICS????
Thanks for the info. As a new member, I do not have permission to post attachments yet. Sorry. My best guess on the engine type is a DXFE Hercules. I determined this from a few pictures I found on the web. My closest guess at this time. The tires are the 14.00-24's. The front bumper is about 5 feet high and has 4 big holes in it, about 4" diameter each. Thanks - John
Okay, I was talking to an old engine guy yesterday, and he said it was a lonnnnngggg time since he'd seen one, but he was pretty sure that the Hercules had a shutdown solenoid in the pump itself, similar to a Cat 1693. That big bumper with the holes makes them trucks look classy, I think. I have the parts book for the Knuckey bogie here somewhere....
Kw 888 Thanks. I was checking the injector pump yesterday with a guy who was somewhat familiar with some of the old stuff. He pointed out a knurled knob on the pump itself that is pulled out to stop the engine. This means that the operator did not have the ability to shut the truck down from the cab. He would have to open the hood and pull the knob the shut this brute down. I'm surprised to find that this may be how they did it. Pretty inconvenient for an operator and a bit dangerous sticking your arm down along the running engine. I suppose it's quite a ways from the big fan though. We couldn't find any control in the cab that would have shut down the fuel. I have been told the previous guys just stalled the motor with the brakes. Hmmmm.
Kw 888 Here are some photos of the KW 888. Does anyone recognize this model of the Hercules Diesel engine? My best guess is a DXFE. Appreciate any info on operation of this brute. John
That kw has a very cool look. with some modern running gear and a basket case of that style it would be a pretty sweet toy.
You wouldn't want to change anything on that truck. There is only one other surviving 888 that I know of, and it's nowhere near as good as that one.
Oh my, what a fine truck. It must be preserved at all costs and certainly not 'street-rodded' with new parts. Until this example showed up i was unaware of any 888 in existence. I second your comment trakloader - don't change anything on that truck. Its too special to mess with and if that Hercules is still running or is able to made running - Wow, that would be awesome. Great job keeping her around. Was she in the parade last weekend?
The truck museum in Reynolds, Alberta has one, but it's pretty beat up looking.
My Grandson helped me clean up my Kenworth last weekend
Sweet!
Thanks for the kind comments about the KW888 at the AK Museum. We will be keeping it original of course. We have many treasures here in AK and our mission is to preserve them. The Hercules Diesel does still run I am told, but I am having trouble with the starter solenoid. I hope to get it going this month. Perhaps I'll post a youtube video if I am successful. The local KW dealer located the original build order from 1947. This truck was reportedly used to haul debris out of Valdez in the aftermath of the 1964 quake in AK.
1979 kw Believe its an 849.Has a detroit 8V.taken the other day.
That's an awesome looking truck ^
LLL unit #T314 with flat tire. I guess she has been retired since I took pics way back in 2005
Goldriver Picture from my motorbike site from the Goldriver area in 2010.
Head Bay Camp Shot taken by fellow rider in 2008 at the Head Bay Camp. Any details on this company out there? Company called Kwatna Timber.
Kwatna Timber Dont know much about them,but I did work for them a a couple camps years ago.The office was at the Chilliwack,B.C. airport,they were a sister company to G & F Logging both owned by the Bowens.They logged for Interfor.Had a camp at Kwatna bay near Bella Coola.They used to put full page ads in the Truck Loggers Magazines years ago,promoting the 'cause' of logging.I'm pretty sure they've completely wrapped up,and listed gear with Forestech Equipment.Murk 100 would know,He worked for them . I have a couple slide shows of their stuff I was around on my early Youtube stuff a year ago.Todd
jackd; Sorry I am pretty sure this is a Pacific P16 from WFP Golden River Div.
A few pics of KW from WFP unit #2216 from Gold River Div, (not Golden River - sorry)
You could be right. I was scratching my head on this one - I first thought it was a Challenger.
Duke Point - Nanaimo A fellow rider took a shot of this Kenworth out near Duke Point - near the ferry terminal. One of several For Sale, according to this individual.
One of A.Byrnes lowbed truck
Came across this poor fella in the ditch with a full load of gravel, he wanted me to pull him out
Squamish Mills Shop I rode up to Squamish today and took some shots of this old 848 parked at the Squamish Mills Shop. The mechanic inside smiled and said it was for sale. There's lots of log hauling going on from what I can see down by the dry land sort. Busy times for some, it would seem, though there were several highway trucks parked at this shop - no work for them.
Hope Slips Away A sad sight for what looks like a truck with some fight still left in her.Taken a month ago
Hi new member here HDX put me on to this site. worked for inland kenworth for 20+ years and have lots of info about canadian built kenworths. The first 848 kenworth was sold to JW Robson sn was 80019 and was 1956 with SFD4640 rear diffs and the last one built was serial number 85842 and was 1970 sold to Bolster Transport in FT st John. The model before the 848 was a 524 which had SW456 worms in it . Was a little smaller. Hope this helps. Larry
Hi Larry welcome to the site some great pictures and info, Tony
Hi Larry - Welcome aboard! I'll have to check up the last built 848 when I visit FSJ next summer.
An old 848 - I guess - with that special cab. I got pic from a magazine many years ago. I like that load and dust....
Kenworth 848 Dump Truck Ex Interfor -Hope division.Taken at rb sale a few months ago.Truck went to work in a gravel operation 5 hours away I found out,and is a good truck.Youtube channel at youtube.com/user/skadill
in post 243 i was wondering, is that just a headache rack or is it a tank/storage space? love the way those trucks look. saw a set of those rearends in festus missouri years back and thought " i want to see what those go to". no idea why they were in missouri. tom
It's a water tank for cooling the brake drums when loaded.
I am looking for advice\help on a set of planetary axles ( Clark BD-91 ) that came out of a 850 Kenworth that was used to haul sugar cane.The axles came with wheels but no rim spacers (5-1\8 wide) or the double hole wedges.The width is 10.5' hub to hub.My problem is finding these parts,is a Goodyear #SB5124M the correct part and where can I find wedges new or used? Are there any of these trucks for sale,that could be used in the oilfield,and worth rebuilding to help move drilling rigs? I really enjoy everyone's posts on these trucks,very cool! Thanks Mike
MIKEMT PM 1931 kenworth See his posting just above He has the "Skinny" on all the KW stuff
Thanks for the help HDX,however,I cannot PM yet.Hopefully,1931 kenworth will see my post and offer some advice.
HDX,what tire size ( I am guessing 14.00x24 ) and what brand did the 850's run?
MIKEMT 14:00X25 Bridgestone, GoodYear Michelin. any of those tires BUT It only fair to warn you that right now in Canada we are paying about 2600.00 per tire for Bridgestone/Michelin However there is a couple chinese tires now available and they are Triangle and Hilo They are about 1000.00 per tire cheaper but I know for a fact that they dont last at least in our enviroment Sidewalls have a habit of blowing out This could be very well caused by the heavy loads being carried and of coarse the heat buildup. I think you have access to 14:00X24 tires through US Military surplus but they wont last due to the age of them now If you were going to use the truck as a truck show/parade truck then I wouldn't think twice about using the 14X24s on it The Dayton Rims will fit on the hubs only difference is the 14:00X25 is a stepped Rim as opposed to the 14X24 standard rim Hope this helps
Hi Mike I havent been on for a bit but HDX is rite look for 1400-25 rims and tires the 24 rims are hard to get everybody up here went to 1400-25s as for the rim clamps i will reply this week with all the part numbers for the studs and the nuts and the single clamps u dont need the double clamps they were just a option in the day. As for the wheel spacers you can use 51/8 or 5 1/2 we went to 51/2 as the hubs got worn out and the inside wheel had to go on a little further. Do u have the serial number of the 850 or any pictures. I will get the part numbers for u this week. Thanks
The axles came with 14.00 x 24 and I have 3 new tires so I might as well buy 5 more to match. I located a company that has spacers ( 1\2" thick ) and wedges but they are expensive. There is no way to find a VIN#\info except from the axle part#. How were the 850's set up? What type of spacer\wedges did they use? How heavy were the loads? Thanks Again for your help!
Hi Mike Here are the part numbers that u need they are made by Euclid industries nothing to do with euclid trucks just the same name they are a huge jobber company reproducing parts The wheel clamp is E5885 the nut is E4963 and the stud is E4956a I have lots of stock but u should be able to get them at any truck shop if they dont stock euclid they can cross them over to what ever. These are the part numbers that they use up here common. Did u get 1400-24 rims with the boogies or are u going to have to get rims too. Larry
Hi Larry, I did get 14.00x24 rims.The parts #s you gave me worked! Now if I can only determine which spacers are correct,the Goodyear spacers are only .156 thick.With loads up to 150,000 lbs will they be strong enough or should I buy the 1\2" spacers? Thanks Larry
Hi Mike No you dont need 1/2 in spacers you can use 3/8 all they do is space the 1400-24 wheels apart they dont pack any of the load the hub and rim do all the work like i said we used to go to wider spacers when the hub got worn over all the years. You could tell when the hubs got worn and your nuts on your clamps started bottoming out before they were tight it was time to get a wider spacer i used to weld a bead on the spacer and grind it off the best i could to tighten everything up but that was what u called a gypo up here and we made it work till payday hope this helps let me know Larry
Thanks Larry, I can find 1\2" or 5\32"(.156) thick,nothing in between.Any ideas where to look? Mike
Zdebiak Trucking Ltd. Kenworth 850 Someone was giving these laser copy pictures out a dozen years ago or so at a table at the Truck Loggers Convention in Vancouver,B.C.(of course I kept mine) http://youtube.com/user/skadill
lot of great history here
Great pics of the fat trucks these trucks are great I have a c540 with 91000 clarks in it the truck will haul a monster load
Post some pics of your girl in action for us!
Why do you refer to them as "FAT TRUCKS"? It is very degrading!!! Why would they be a FAT TRUCK? Sounds like something that needs to go to jenny craig or is somehow by choice become deformed
Jenny craig thats a good one lol. Fat truck is not meant to be degrading i said that because they are huge compared to the hwy trucks. I am still trying to figure out how to add pics of her
OH OK As a matter of fact I have been censored on more than one occasion and corrected for calling the "LITTLE" trucks what I usually do By the way what size bunks do you have on your "Classic" do you have the 50Ton trailer behind her??? 14:00X 24 or 14:00X25 tires??? Cant wait to see pics Thanks a Lot and by the way WELCOME TO THE SITE!
Thanks this is a great site. She has 12' bunks,14:00 x 24 tires,400 bc2 cummins with a 15 speed main and 4 speed brownie and yes a 50 ton trailer. I havnt hauled muchwith it in the last few years the new spur roads are pretty narrow up here and there hasn't been that much hauling going on. I wish i could use it more its sad seeing it just sit there
Aklogging is this the old SBL #3 truck at Deer Bay by chance? If you can tell me which truck you wound up with I'm sure I probably have pics of it I can post for you-
I dont think so it said tl3 on the door before i painted it. I bought it from hv on pow in early 2006 he said he got it from alaska pulp co. I do have a few pics of it i will try to post soon i also am not real good with computers
OK, That's a different truck. The old SBL #3 is back up and running today as well. It's good to hear you saved one in working order- there are still a few around Southeast!
Pics of my truck
Hey that looks great! Late-model Cat boom there- were you hauling for Brower or Pacific? I see HV's ex-Rabey truck there too!
Yes I was haulin for brauer on tonka i got the rabey truck from hv also i seen a pic of it in another thread back in the day looked better then haha. I got some before pics of the big girl when i got it was pretty ruff Iwill take some of it now sitting at my shop when it warms up
I have a friend in psg that has a construction company he has 4 of them 2 of them he got from brauer that have set back front axles and 2 he got from sbl. He has went thru 3 of them did a real good job he uses them for lowboy and hauling big bridges
some pics of dennis dystant trucking 850's at work last summer
Great framed pictures Trux !!!!!!
Looks as though DD believes in keeping his trucks in top notch shape. Two thumbs up.
Some shared pics of DDT KW850 unit #10. I think that DDTs and Steelrocks trucks are some of the most well maintained migthy queen trucks you can find on The Island.
ok KW fans here something for you how about making a new 850 we start from old school to new school would that be the future for canada off road logging truck drives let me no
i think that would be cool
bill mahoney's 848's and 849's i believe.nass camp b.c. late 60's early 70's. my father in the 3rd pic
blue dystant truck is unit #1 before a refit and pic#5 is also dystant truck #32
Last post was in reference to post #9
dieselfreak; thank you for interesting information. Are both unit #1 and #32 still going strong DDT?
Taken recently at Holberg
A few pics of KW850 that DDT(unit #32) has aquirred since pics were taken back in 2005
ddt 1 is still going strong,that is her in post 278 pictures 2,3 and 5,unfortunately 32 lost her motor in november so she's resting right now Hayesno1
Not a problem hayesno1 I am in fairly close contact with the DDT trucks. 32 has an N14 with a hole in the block right now but another one is on order, might even get a bigger set of diffs at the same time. DY-1 is running a set of bd121,000 clark diffs, 18 speed transmission, and a computerized 565HP cummins ISX engine.
good to have u on here freak
Good to hear dieselfreak, that she(#32) will return to duty. Welcome aboard this great site . It seems to me that the big off highway trucks are having a 2nd. renaissance on Vancouver Island and Coastal Mountains in BC. Great for occupation etc. and great for a guy like me to see those big trucks are still going strong after 30-40 years of hard labour. That's amazing:canada
some more ddt trucks working
850 WFP Port McNeill rebuilt for WFP Menzies bay .Was a tanker truck with a bent frame
Out for a test load or two before being sent down Island. Was an M&B truck did not get its M&B unit number
Kelsey Bay 075. The unit number of that truck was H-05, it was originally a Kelsey Bay truck. It has spent many years as a water truck but will be going back to Kelsey to haul logs. Look great.
It did have H05 on the fuel card but was not sure if it was the right number.
That 60 Series sure looks small in a hole made for a V-12. I bet it runs better though. Anyone with experience driving them that can compare the two?
Stepping on the throttle of a V12 is like stepping on a grape, sounds cool though. Stepping on the throttle of Series 60 is like stepping on the tail of a cat, hang on its going to be a ride. Seriously, two different power bands V12 starts to die off after 1900 RPM and the Series 60 pulls hard down to 1400 RPM or lower
In today's logging industry cost savings takes over riding priority, yes the series 60 is different in the sense that the torque is gained on the bottom end of the RPM ratio. More importantly fuel savings is huge. When a company is taking on a trucker, whether it be fuel provided or fuel supplied, the cost can make or break the deal. I have dealt with one series 60 and numerous Cummins ISX's and can say that the difference between mechanical and electronic engines is what gives truckers the leading edge in today's market. Gone are the days of naming your price. Competitive is the tomorrow we work in. Furthermore, to drive a 4 stroke engine opposed to a classic 2 stroke is like taking a stock vehicle and adding nitrous.
ddt 850's at work
some more from snug cove
A note on H-05, it is in Port McNeill again. Made a short stint back in service and was in an accident. Also, trux I'm still amazed that DY-17 is still in service with that turbo 12V houred out grapple yarder engine. A red cummins would look better under the hood of that beast.
there is no doubt in my mind
Hayes Fan Send me a PM and I will hook you up with pictures of that truck
This last bunch of pictures are great. Thanks for posting them.
Took a cruise up to the Menzies Bay shop today, the 2258 (H-05) was in the yard. Looks really good. The guys up in McNiel did a nice job.:notworthy Did many a reline on that old girl, looks better now then it did then
I didn't have time to stop but but it was parked at the tire slab when i drove through. Check it out tomorrow.
believe i saw this queen in one of 72hdx's videos. any history on her?
Looks to me like old H-35 from Kelsey Bay. Should be able to see on top left of water tank.
was hard to tell,but there was an h and part of a 3 on er i think
Kenworth on soft ground
^^^ I'd love to have that old F-250 pickup. Looks like a '65 or '66 from here, maybe a year or two earlier at most.
Not bad, the pic was taken in 1967
Holberg or Port mcNeill ?
Wouldn't it be easier to load the truck with the shovel instead of laying it on its side and pushing the logs into the bunks ?
Might be easier, but no where near as much fun. Great pictures, been there waaaaayyyyy to many times. One thing about those old girls, pick them up, wipe em off and send them back to work. Try that with a hiway truck
Had my skidder like that more than once and got'er back on all fours unassisted.....talk about bounce!
Trux; Great pics. Keep them coming! The old M&B truck I have seen several times, but I have only been able to read "H3?" at top of left tank. See pictres taken in 2005 and 2006. Maybe 72HDX can add some information.
More KW's pics from Campbell River. 2 preloaders and old M&B unit H79.
Seems the KW's like to have a rest while they're being loaded:sleeping
I would say that shovel in post #313 has got to be a Washington, correct? TL6, perhaps?
H-35 The truck is H-35. I believe it is currently owned by the Olson Group, or at least it was. Looks like their lowbed. Don't remember any trucks from H-30-H-34. H-36 is still at Mid Island as a water truck. H-37 was an HDX at Eve River, H-38 was a Pacific that went to Franklin in 1999 along with H-39. HDX should know if they are still operating down there along with H-58. I don't know about the pre-loaders but H-79 was also from Kelsey Bay, known around here as the Road Warrior. You should remember that truck Wrench and the character who drove her!!!!!
Sorry but did you ask me? and to you Vigilant, yes as far as i know its a TL6 or Trakloader as we called it
Yes it sure looks like Port McNeill or Holberg. You wouldn't happen to know the truck number or the TL6s number do you. The truck will be 21-- some thing and the loader would start with 11-- some thing.
Oh man my mind is going, really had to think. Was it Slim Jim?
H-79 Slim Jim You betcha, H-79 originally Ted France and then the Bulldog (Don Brier) drove it for a while. Jim Menke was the last at Kelsey Bay to drive it prior to the highway trucks coming.
Its from Port McNeill but i cant remember the numbers, have some more photos Ill have a look at these
H-34 was the second to last Hayes HDX and was at M&B QCD.
Does anyone know what make this is, its from Port Hardy and the operator is McMillan Bloedel, year 1968
Hayes HDX..... When HDX sees it he can tell us more about it.
Thank you trakloader, i made a post at the Hayes thread after you identified the truck
Queen Charlottes 1970's Shared photo,my wife re-colored for someone years ago that had faded. http://youtube.com/user/skadill
skadill those are sweet photos!:notworthy
IMG_2512 by FortressPacific , on Flickr IMG_2515 by FortressPacific , on Flickr
KW ex-Brock 32 here is one in the bushes, (lot easier finding in the spring before the bush greens up) another logger turn to water truck. has s/n 83100.
ddt #10 coming down a 26% switchback at silverside
ddt #17 at work in silverside
Dystant Trucking Unit DY-37 with a fresh rebuild. A lot of blood, sweat, and gears.
Dystant #37 is the same truck as post #83, just rebuilt after it had a salt water swim.
Kenworth and TL 6 in snowy weather
dieselfreak We heard something about Henderson last week!!! Did everything work out all right???
Our water truck at heli-logging service landing.
Yes HDX all is good, could have been a lot worse. Key thing is no one was hurt.
dieselfreak Jeez That is really great news, I will pass it on cause the guys were worried. Happy ending thanks
2 different KW 850. I am not sure of owner of preloader that got a paint and tires. Very good looking truck and all most ready to go back to work . The blue and white is a WFP KW at dump south of Gold River.
The one with fresh paint and tires looks like it would fit right in with DD's fleet.
PHP: Vigilant; You might be right. T thought DD trucks were red with few white stripes. Here are 2 older KW. The red fire truck is Canadian built KW. Summer 2012.
KW 850 near Port Alice summer 2012
Sorry Hayesno1 thats 2128 an 849 ex WFP truck.
075; Thanks for correction. Are you referring to the blue KW? Here 2 more KW 849/850 near Port Alice.
Fantastic photos, very helpful for model making. Does anyone have a spec sheet with a drawing & dimensions for the 848 & 853? I believe the truck that Jim Dobbas has restored is a 848, with the rounded fenders. The 853 was a Saudi desert tractor where the radiator was huge & flat, built in the 50's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Ap40rocktruck
Ap40rocktruck; Welcome aboard - you should check out Hanks truck website. There are several that have posted spec sheets. Drawings are no good but dimensions are okay!
KW preloader at Jeunne Landing. WFP #2222. Maybe "075" can ad some information, she looks to be a 849 or 850 model.
OK, will look again. Many thanks Ap40rocktruck
I will try to find some links!
This is the 848 I need dimensions for: http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/aths/pleasanton/05-27/20100527_dsc_3622.jpg Ap40
Sorry I have not seen any specs for that model. I would like to build that as well. Here link for KW 953 spec: http://yassineroy.webs.com/kenworth953specifiaction.htm
Another link to KW http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/hank_rabe_misc_kw.htm
I have those in original form, but none are of the 853. Thanks for the effort just the same. I am not as well versed in Kenworth as i am in Mack, Currently working on another M series scratch build. Ap40
Thanks as well, I am a member there & have those printed for modeling, but still not the current need. It would be easier if i lived on the west coast to go & measure one. Ap40rocktruck
Hi Could any of you give some spec of these Kenworths for me, model-engine-trans etc., maybe you 075 have some info? Thanks Sigurd
Old Canadian built KW with flatbed trailer. I think this a Beban truck. Maybe someone can ad further info.
Nice old 548, another truck to model in scale.... Ap40
Kw l524 Got to like those old classics, hope this one see's some lovin...
I came across these 4 Saunders & Sons Kenworth's and an unnamed Kenworth at Duke Point yesterday. Anybody know what's happening to these? They looked like they've been there awhile. This one was buried in the corner, looks like a recent restoration:
I have a photo collection of these trucks from a couple years ago here: http://youtu.be/Tg3nGZH2x2c And another video of one hauling here: http://youtu.be/P2vkiK3LNBM
Hi this truck 80011RB was bought by crown zellerbach probably in a accident then sent to canadian kenworth for a rebuilt in may of 56 as the RB in the serial number i do have the bill of material on this unit the paint is actually is original and no marker lights and the main trans was a White truck model H.C so they must have been using up parts they had. Motor was a cummins NHB with single disc pump and the exhaust went rite thru the hood no muffler they also installed water lines on the out side of the frame and 1100x22 rubber it also had a 8031 aux kind of different but crown zee liked to pinch pennys. Larry
HI do u have the serial number maybe i can help Larry
These trucks were on the forestech equipment website and were for sale, they aren't on it now though.
I know a couple of guys who looked at buy some of them,He wants more than they are worth today!
Thanks for the info, guys. I guess they'll just sit there and continue to rot away. Too bad as the restored one looks as good as new. Another question: is Saunders & Sons still around? I got pics of a few of their highway trucks a couple of years ago but haven't seen any since.
LLL KW 849/850 unit #T332. In background one of LLL's Pacific P16 unit #T311. Summer 2012, Vancouver Island
Cool pictures,is LLL still in business?A lot of great outfits appear on Ax Men for one season and then just disappear.
Yes, they are still in business. They operate in northern parts of Vancouver Island. I think they have 20-25 off highway logging trucks in operation. Maybe "075" can ad some information.
Yes that's Juene Landings lowbed truck, it is an 850 that we bought from Palmer Bay Logging when they sold out.
Hi guys, I've been lurking here for quite a while but finally signed up. I have been building radio controlled 1/10 scale construction and logging models for the last year and a half and would like to build an 850 to haul a lowbed and some logs. Does anyone have any accurite measurements of these trucks? I have saved just about every picture that I can find but I haven't came up with much info on the dimensions and there isn't any nearby to look at. Thanks Reg
075; thanks for info. Here another WFP KW unit #17. This truck was parked at Menzies shop. I have seen it in Port McNeill several times.
Reg, I got a few dimensions from this truck(I think it is an 849 model). PM me if you are interested. If you live on the Island you should be able to find some big off highway logging trucks.
I am interested for sure... I just don't how to send(or if I'm even allowed to yet) a PM to you.lol I live in Sooke so there isn't much in the way of off highway trucks here anymore. My sister inlaws boyfriend works for WFP in Port Mcneil but I haven't made the trip up there to visit them yet. When I do I can grab some measurements but I would like to get the chassis on the go soon so I thought I would ask here. Any help is greatly appreciated! Reg
Reg; I just tried to PM you. But you have to post 3 or 5 times before you can PM or attache pictures. Anyway welcome on board!
I figured as much... Well this is post # three...
PM sent... Thanks
Maybe some help. Hi, there is a fellow on this site that may be of some help. Modeltruckbuilder, i think is his name here. He knows a fellow by the name of Cliff Burrows, he worked for Kenworth and was also part of the team that built those Butler Brothers trucks. Thanks Doug.
OK Thanks, It would be awesome to get some drawings/blueprints to build off of but anything would help for now. Reg
Hayesno1 Post #379 Unit #17 Looks like that old girl just had the back end of one of Kelsey Bay's old trucks welded onto her. Wonder if she had 91,000 rears because she now has the 121's Also the red paint is kind of a giveaway This was a very common practice to upgrade the units
HDX; Yes you are right I think. I did not see it before now. Here a few shots of #17 back in summer 2007 in Port McNeill, when strike just started
WFP KW849 or 850 model. Pics were taken in summer 2005 in Holberg
H-36-17 HDX, that's exactly what they did. They took the old H-36 water truck and parted it out onto 17.
I guess unit#17 would have had under slung rear leaf springs and that would be why they didn't just roll the old axles out and put the 121's under?
2117 was a Port McNeill truck 91,00 rears, Clark Trans and under slung springs 12V 71 nat. They upgraded her about 8 years ago with series 60 and 18 speed trans. When they joined up with the old M&B operation her in McNeill she was surplus and was used a spare. Menzies Bay decided that the Highway trucks were not hauling enough wood cheap enough so they transferred her down there. Looks like they got rid of the under slung springs and upgraded the diffs good eye HDX.
When I was about four or five I got to ride in one of the Kenworth's from Port McNeill when the lowbed moved my Dad's cat to a location. The driver let me shift the clunky old Clark. I remember lots of noise and him laughing as we climbed a hill and half the time I would miss the downshift and would have to keep downshifting to a lower gear.
That was in the 70's just after they built the new shop at the top of the hill.
From a Master Mechanic's point it is far faster and easier to slash the frames and butt them together as a unit rather than all the diddling around trying to cut this and that out and then start changing the torque arms and all the other things that will go wrong. Two days in the shop welding and she is out in the line up again OH and set the brakes up LOL She looks really good Nice job!
Great to have others here who go about it the efficient way. When you butted the 2 frames together, did you plate the inside & or outside of the joint? We had done a few off highway Mack's down here in New York, after the splice, we added a liner to the inside of the frame & used a combination of full pem weld & huck bolts. Ap40
Tech questions on the re-fitting of the 850's. When you guys add the CAC to accommodate the intake requirements of the modern motors, where all of the bits used custom fabricated? The same would apply to the exhaust connections as the modern motors run a hotter exhaust temp. Does anyone have any detail photos of these upgrades? Also with the new motors, did the remote mount Allison power-shift tranny's stay or were they replaced? if so with what & are they direct mount or remote? Thanks for all the great photos & tech. Ap40
H36 with #17 rears Here picture of old M&B unit #H36. Look closely you can see #17 rear frame with rears. You can see some yellow paint at rims and bunks and a big fishplate has been welded to connect the frames. Pic was taken same day I took pics of #17 so it makes sence.
I worked at Port McNeill for Weyerhaueser for six months after they had repowered two trucks. The transmission doesn't need to move, there is a torque elastic coupling on the flywheel that a short driveshaft bolts to that transmits power to the torque converter housing on the transmission. You do have to weld in new engine mounts especially because we were going from a Cat 3408 to a 60 series Detroit. The shutterstat was removed and aftercooler mounted in front of the radiator, the piping to the aftercooler was all fabricated in the shop as well as piping to the air filter housing. The same muffler was used although we fabricated between the outlet on the turbo and the bottom of the muffler. Not to bad when you are using flex-pipe and two or three elbows. This is all 5"piping for the exhaust. When I was at Eve River we repowered a Madill 044 with a 60 series as well, the old 12V71TT was so worn out that we paid for the engine swap in fuel and oil savings in about six months.
Y-12?? Was that Eve River rebuild on the Y-12?
If memory serves me, it was Y247. I think we might have got it from Menzies? I will have to check my old work books to see if I wrote it down when I have some time..
If it wasn't Y-12 It could have been Y-247 which was from Menzies to Eve. It may have also been the Pat Carson yarder which was I believe they called Y-16??? Not sure on that. If memory serves correct it needed a new engine about two weeks after it came to Eve River.
HD Mech The driveshaft was torque elastic and the thing on the flywheel was called a Vulcan Drive Usually only one or the other was used because they both did the same thing When we went to the 3408's from the V12's the torque elastic driveshaft was used and when new they worked VERY WELL but as time went by they would start to get out of phase There was an outfit in Vancouver that rebuilt them but I never saw one that worked very well Not like the new one would anyway They were unbelievable expensive so the thought of cost saving was always there and if a rebuilt one could be got for half price Hmmmmm
THat's right, sorry it's been almost ten years since I worked on those trucks. When I was writing it something didn't seem correct but could not figure it out. Nothing like them where I work now.
The engine in Y247 was pretty tired, when we got it but they ran it another two or three years? At the end it burned a barrel of oil in a week and they had to refuel the yarder on the fourth day or it would run out the next day, at least that's what I was told.
When I transferred to Eve from the Charlottes they had a old yellow 044 that was powered by a tired 12V71. I thought they had rented it from Dyer logging but maybe it was the Pat Carson yarder?
Any idea what ever happened to Borer Logging and their Kenworth trucks? Mike
They sold out to Olympic I believe Mike, and sold the trucks. Donny McCloud bought their lowbed truck when 2109 burned up in the shop fire.
That is correct, OFP got a bunch of their stuff, and Edwards got some stuff too.
KW 848 owner Downey & Sons Logging, Clearwater in 1982
NIce, so a question on the 848, & 849's. Did these trucks sit on straight frame rails front to back? or a taper rail at the front, or drop front similar to a W series frame? Also, what is / was the most popular rear axle & suspension combination? I would guess it as the KW big 6, spring over axle & 6 radius rods, attached to Timkin / Rockwell top load axles... Thanks Ap40
HI They had drop rails that were bolted on the the main frames and the most popular rear axles were SFD 4640's timken with timken suspension with trunion rubbers and kenworth springs.
1931 Kenworth.....do have a 31 Kenworth.??? A long time (decades) family friend sold his early 30's Kenwoth to someone on the Island years ago and I am wondering if its the same truck..I rode in it many times and have a few photo's of it here.....Cory
hi cory yes i do have a 1931 kenworth i got it out of alberta about 15 years ago it is not yet restored will be starting on it in about a year doing hot rod now. Who owned the kenworth u rode in i know of someone who bought one about that time. Larry
Hi...I am pretty sure it was a 1931.It was Green with a single axel.It was a good sized truck with air brakes.Truck was owned for decades by Dennis Montgomery.Dennis also owned the sister truck to my Diamond T it was a 1935.It is also over on the Island....Cory
Yes that is the Kenworth that Fred Miers owns I had a chance to buy it from dennis years ago but couldnt come up with the money had 4 small kids and no money dennis gave me first chance it was nice of him he told me he was going to sell it to fred if i couldnt do it so that was nice cause i get to see the truck all the time. Do you know where abouts the 1935 diamond went to over here. Larry
Hi...glad to here the Kenworth is still up here...I dont know where the 1935 Diamond T is exactly.Dennis also owned a unrestored 1929 Diamond T and I believe it went to the Island as well.Dennis and my Dad were life long friends...His Chrysler Airflow used to belong to my Dad and they were both involved it the defunct BC transportation Museum.....Cory
Well we should try to find the diamond T. Any body know anything about this truck? I know Jim Winters talked to him at the drags at mission this summer he was the curator at the museum may be he might know or have some idea? Larry
848: 10-3/4" Deep C Channel Flex Frame - 34" Outside Width 849: Variable Web Flex Frame - 40" Outside Width 849RF: Rigid Frame - 40" Width - Early version of 850 but with underslung suspension 850: Rigid Frame - 40" Width (Similar to HDX, WHDX & P16's)
Super, Thank you Ap40
I was looking at a couple of KW's at Westerns yard in Port McNeil last weekend and the leafs were over the axles so does that mean that they are 850's? Thanks Reg
The two K/W in McNeills yard 2119 & 2129 are 849's, but there are two preloaders that are 850's 2148 & 2149
So this one is an 850? Thanks for the info! Reg
Yes that is an 850 that has been repowered as per the air to air infront of the rad trailer looks like a columbia but i could be wrong.
Thanks! Does anyone know what year this truck is? I would like to build a 1/10 scale RC of this sometime in the near future so I want to gather as much info as possible before I start. I also took pictures of the truck with the 12v71 because I would like my model to have that under the hood rather than one of the modern engines. Thanks again!
I believe it is an 73-75.There were three that came up here at the same time 2148, 2147 came to Port McNeill and 2151 went to Mahatta it now is in Holberg. They all came with an 12V71 and a 8 speed Clark Trans .48 now has a series 60 and an 18 speed .51 has an series 60 and a Allison.47 is a tanker truck now and still has the 12V71 and Clark in it.
Yup u are rite 075 as i was working for inland kenworth in port mcneill at that time and used to sell lots of clark parts to pioneer timber. Shortly after this model all the 850's went away from the slope hood to a straight one. Any idea where all the clark autos went.
I'M bird doggin you guys here with this Clark stuff!!!! Gotta Love em Also 075 finally found the yellow paint LOL
Western parted the ones they had out, we still have four trucks up here with them 2114 2119 2129 2147. The other trucks that had them were switched over to 18 speeds or allisons. The other trucks and take outs were sold off to contractors. They kept several for parts .The Wagner stackers use them also. HDX glad you found the paint make it look like new
Here is a great source for all sorts of factory paint, rattle can & bulk http://www.industrialtouchup.com/ Ap40
Thanks for the info 075. I took some pictures and video of your super snorkel last weekend too! Just a little steep there hey? Reg
ap40rocktruck Thanks for the heads up That is good info 075 Ever Vigilant!!!!
They have a automotive side for touch up colors for just about every car maker. Ap40rocktruck
Kw 850 Another retired logger goes to the oil patch. the old girl is getting a total make over to be a heavy duty winch tractor, came from the island with trailer and extra parts. will try to get pics when it's finished
That is amazing! YES please keep the photos coming as the build continues! Really like the look of the newer B cab. Thank you for sharing Ap40
Greatwestcam Do you know any of her prior history?? Was she from the island A number of them vanished from the Campbell River area as well as the mid coast area Thanks Cam
Keep the pictures coming! Do you have any of it stripped down before the cab was put on?
I haven't got much info on past history yet, only got to talk to the rig up shop owner, said it came from the island and the owner was retiring, came with trailer and diff housings. the new owner here has lots of crane trucks that are all mint, even had a Pacific P500 in the fleet a few years back. the data tag says it had 12v-71, 6061 trans, 91000 clarks. now has a N-14 power in it. the s/n is 908160 if this can help us trace it back. sorry I didn't get any pics before the refit, just found out about it last week. later Cam
Hi i will trace out the serial number 908160 and let u know.
Hi serial number 908160 was brought into inland kenworth in nanaimo will try to figure out who bought it. Larry
dy32 rebuild. 81 cab with 2000 doors,n14 engine,6 speed allison tranny,121's rear ends.
looks like it's just about ready to become some ones pride and joy again. Awesome
That looks great! I think we need more pics! I would love to see that one in person(with my camera and tape measure in hand ) before it gets all dirty and greasy again! Thanks for posting the pictures!...please take more Reg
beautiful!! i love to see stuff refurbed. i must say those daylight doors are a nice touch. BUT those a model cabs are so small!!! should have been updated to a b model cab at a minimum, best of all would have been best with an aero cab in daycab configuration. but where would you stop. excellent work i second the request for more pics..........theironoracle
dy27 chasing pot o gold
Pot of Gold sitting in the bundle racks
Does any one know where I could buy or get a look at a parts book for an 850? I would like to get a look at some of the technical drawings before I start my model. Thanks Reg
Call me crazy but it dosent look natural with them daylight doors.
Does anyone know why some of the cabs are square edged at the top and some are round? Are the trucks with the square edged cabs newer? If so what year did they start doing this? Thanks, Reg
850's with the square edged cabs are older models. Always known them as an LW style and they are made of checker plate steel. The round topped cabs are on the newer models and are fibreglass. Not exactly sure what year they changed, our 1977 has a square edged cab and we have a 1979 with the round topped, so somewhere around there.
It's not natural with the daylight doors Dualie. If you were to drive one of these things you would be able to appreciate the improved visibility. Might not be what they came with but it's a significant upgrade in the comfort department. It's a minor thing but makes a huge difference.
DY32 finished in the yard
DY32 sitting with DY38 C-500B, DY34 fresh out of the shop, DY37 lowbedding an 044 grapple yarder with a 16 wheel lowbed.
awesome rebuilds man, top stuff
KW 850 preloader at Hayes Annversary Truck show last year
I've finally started to build my 1/10 scale RC model of an 850 so I was looking for some more info. I have the cab, front bumper, and fenders ruffed in and I've started to build the frame rails. Does anyone know what the standard wheelbase was and the distance between the rear axles? I was also wondering if anyone had any decent pictures of the rear suspension. Thanks in advance, Reg
[video=youtube;tJ-7OQlcHIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ-7OQlcHIc[/video] Quick video of one running, pre surgery
Does anyone know if the Saunders trucks are still at Duke point?
Nice old beast, would you by chance have a close up with out shadows of the door artwork? Ap40
Still there as of noon today Jan. 25. 5 of them sitting there. Don't think they will be moving anywhere soon as they are mostly blocked in by a compound full of wind generator parts. PM me an email address if you want some pics. Haven't figured out how to resize pics yet. Regards d.d.
Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to know if they were still there before I took the drive to Naniamo. Going to try and get up there next week. Thanks again, Reg
Glad to help. The 2 compounds full of windmiill components are worth a look too. Was told there were parts there for 60+ windmills for somewhere on the north island. I keep watching for some of the stuff on the road but haven't seen any yet. Could be they are going to barge them up I suppose. There are some pretty big parts sitting there. Guess someone has a good contract to move them. Regards d.d.
Do you need permission to enter the area that the trucks are in? Thanks
No problem getting to the trucks. They are right beside the road, no fence, no people. The windmill components are fenced in and there are people working on them. Trucks are behind the tank farm, turn right off the road to the harbor commision barge ramp. Regards d.d.
Sounds easy enough. We'll stop by and have a look next week. On a totally different note, Does anyone know what ever happened to this truck #115? This is a picture my Dad took of it (brand new)the day it arrived to Muir Creek in 1972. He said it went to the Nitnat division after Muir Creek but I was just wondering if any body knew what happened after that? Is it still around? Thanks, Reg
I've got more than a few photos of the truck, I'll look when I'm on my laptop and not my phone later.
Nice, & thank you, the more the better. What other trucks do they run? Rick
Down at the Nitnat lake camp after the road was opened up and Roseander Mainline was punched through, She hauled through to BCFP's Caycuse Dryland Sort. Ron Long drove her. She was hauling with Lea Fortin and Bill Spiller and Ike Issacson. 143 145 and I just dont remember the other number. 115 had the 12V71 whereas the 850's had 3408 Cats. She was last down at Messachie Lake in about 2000-2001. There was a very dark story behind this truck prior to Ron getting her. Another time
Thanks for the info. So this truck was an 849 you figure? I can see that it has overslung springs but I don't really know how to tell the difference between an 849-850. I know the dark story, very sad... I have a very good clear photo that my Dad took of the original driver standing in front of the truck with it's very first load but I didn't know if I should post it. Very cool picture though! Reg
Does anyone know anything about this one? This picture was taken at the All Sooke Day parade back in 1982. I believe it would have been working at Muir Creek at that time. It looks very similar if not the same as this truck in a picture posted by Skadill a while back Thanks, Reg
RCP57 I think it would be a real tribute to him if you posted the picture. He was a part of their history. There should be a thread started about this outfit as well as countless others. M&M sure loved their KW's I think the only survivor now is Gordie Issacson's restored LW Kenworth. I think Kershaw got it new Not sure but I will ask Gordie. At lest he went all the way to put her back to original so everybody could see what they were like The door decals sure are a nice example of how the company's were back then VERY CLASSY
Hi Reg The kenworth in the parade is a 1972 kenworth 850 malloch unit 115 it had a 12v71 5960 allison and 90,000 clarks i have the build sheet on this unit and that is the original color i have all of mallochs truck sheets and plenty more. The truck below is bill zdbiak 850 he used to contract for domans up on nootka island let me know what info u need Larry
I'm pretty sure that the truck in the parade is different from 115. We thought it was the same truck too until we looked at both pictures my parents took closely. If it is the same then at some point it must have had a major overhaul as even the clearence lights are different. I am most interested in any info pictures or whatever you may have on 115 though! I have a couple more pictures of it that I will post up. This is why I am looking for the information on it....I would love to get some more pictures of it! Thanks,Reg
Well here's a couple more pictures of #115 at Muir Creek 1972. The first picture is of the truck's very first load with driver Ed Pears posing in front. Reg
Hi Reg Yes you are rite the truck in the parade is a newer version as it has the double bumpers. What a beautiful model you are doing would love to see it one day.1972 is the first year they put the outside door handles down below. As for 849 versus 850 i believe it went like this 848 had small windsheilds and a channel frame truck with just about all 4640 top mount rear ends i think in 1966 they came out with the 849RF which was the forunner of the 850 it had a rigid frame[RF] that was the same as the 850 today only kenworth made their own underslung rear spring suspension for the 849RF it was terrible too top heavy falling over all the time so in 1968 they came out with the over top like every one else now i have the 115 build sheet which shows all the components and some dimensions of the truck i can copy them for u if u like as long as i dont see them on ebay which i can tell you aren't that type of guy it is from my personal collection,another person did this. Any how enough of that are u building a trailer i have some info on columbia trailers that is all kenworth used for off highway mostly i think i have the build sheets for mallochs 60 ton just let me know. I sure like that model. Larry
Thanks very much! The plan is to build the model as close as I can to 115 but of course it won't be exact. I want to build a logging trailer as well as an over the bunk style lowbed so that I can haul my other scale equipment around. I would love to have any info that you could provide for the project and I promiss it will enter my own collection and go no further. I've tried to keep the model as close to scale I could but without solid specs a lot of it is just done by eye from pictures. Having said that there are some things that are very difficult to reproduce in a small scale and have them still function anyway. I hope to have it finished and operating by this years Duncan Antique truck show. Thanks again for everyone's help on this! Reg
Hi Reg; great pictures and for sure your model is taking shape. I have to build a KW as well(in scale 1/87 - you know me), but I have to do the blue prints first. I have a few Hayes HDX to finish and the Mack CL350 before I will start the KW project(next winter I guess) In your post #474 - where is pic 2 taken?
Hey Kim, Thanks, You could have done some blue prints for me too! To late now though.lol With out all your help it wouldn't be this far along! That picture is also from Muir Creek. Reg
Thanx Reg. Sorry about the blue prints.. LOL.. When I make them you can get a copy if you like... Here some pics of a WFP KW850. I passed Muir Creek a few times but nothing left. Well I think - I did not see anything in 2007, 2010 and 2012.
Haha, you can send them to me so that I can see how much I've done wrong.lol Nothing much left at Muir Creek. Just an old winch that was used in the booming ground. I don't remember what year they tore the shop down. Probably around 15-20 years ago but even then it had been a long time since any work had been done there. Too bad we hadn't spoken before last summer, appearently you've driven past my home at least 3 times... Next time you're stopping by I hope... Reg
Hi Reg yes i think it is 225 wb but will confirm and steve is right 15ft would be correct do u have a email address and i will see what i got for you. Larry
OK thanks! PM sent
found this website with nice drawinf of the kenworth big 6 for who may be interested in the assembly of it http://dendoffsprings.tripod.com/big6.jpg
found this website with nice drawings of the kenworth big 6 for who may be interested in the assembly of it http://dendoffsprings.tripod.com/big6.jpg
Yes they are windmills going to cape scott area it is a quiet project with the gov and private company. They are 85 feet long i am told and overweight with the trailers they are using in bc as per our laws so they are moving them only at night passed a couple the other night a company from alberta is moving them some project with the government. Correct me if i am wrong. It is what it is.
Here's a couple of video updates for my 850/RC. I finally finished the drivetrain and got to take it for a test drive! The diffs don't look completely scale but you do what you have to in order to make them work... Thanks for looking http://youtu.be/zWWd4uyGTT0 http://youtu.be/CzEctlPR0o0
nice job on the build very cool its close enough its going to be a nice truck building model trucks to exact scale can be hard to again great job
Here's a couple pictures of it with the body on. I still have a lot of work to do though.... Thanks for looking!
If that had a different background I would have thought it was the real thing, good job, it must take a lot of patience to do this.
Thanks! Yes it does take some patience but mostly just a lot of time lol!
KW T850 update Well I got some pics of this fine old girl, looks better then new now. found that she came from Port Albernie area from a guy named Glen, was the last of 5 trucks he had. I was lucky to see it before she goes out to work, sure looks good!
a few more ex-logger to new winch tractor.
That is awesome! Thanks for sharing, nice to see the old truck being given a new life. Ap40
I second that! Thanks for posting those pictures. Is it just me or do the trucks kinda look funny with "street" tires on them? Either way it's great to see another one of these trucks in use and not scrapped!
How about this one again. Clearly there is a lot of parts missing and the driver didn't check the pressure in the rear tires....lol I just need a little more info on the trailer and I will be able to finish all the big parts!
nice kw wow all restored thanks for sharing pretty cool
Greatwestcam Good to see you back in the system again That was Glen Jacobsons truck after he bought her from MARS Contracting here in Port Alberni. Mars bought her new and used her for many years and then with the big cutbacks and shut downs in the industry out here they chose to get out and that truck was one of the victims. However after seeing her now she looks fantastic. The new style doors sure change the whole look -- kind of brings it into the 21st century. If you get a chance could you take a couple pics of how the rear frame was feathered down to make the lowbed ramps. Just side shots when she is outside sometime. Your welder /fabricators are sure top drawer Man they sure do nice work!!!!
I agree, that is some beautiful work. It is also the first T850 I have ever seen. Didn't even know they existed.
That 850 looks GOOD I have been involved in a few rebuilds, but they never came out looking like that.:notworthy Nice Job. The 850's were my favorite, but then that is what I grew up with. Thanks for saving this one from the scrappers.:canada
U asked 4 it Thanks for the info HDX you always come throught with their history. The snow is finally starting to go so that means it's time to get out and about..lol. Decca Industries did all the work on her, check their web site, cool stuff. She is at a good home now, all their trucks are kept mint. Hope these pics work for you
So what is the tire size on the old girl now and what kind of rims are they running. Sure looks different without the big ole 1400 25's that she ran for years
Greatwestcam; great pics as usual. Great work they did with that truck even though the small wheels looks a bit odd. All most like a lowrider.. LOL.. Here a few shots of her when she ran for Mars. Last pic shows another of Mars KW850. This is unit #18. I wonder what happend to her?
Sad day for me. Cut up an 848 so it would fit in that scrap bin. Old girl sat for 3-4 years. Hooked up one set of jumper cables and she fired up real easy. Pushed it with the 988 and got it going, unhooked the 16 wheel lowbed (which is why we bought it) and drove her in the shop for the torch. I have been told she is a 1957 L848. Originaly came from California. Company tag on inside of door reads "Champion Timberlands McCloud California" Serial # 117704. If i was rich I would have liked to rebuild her with a few upgrades. Sad for me anyways. Cheers LB
Feel better today. grin. Sold the rear ends out of it so hopefully they live on helping another truck drive down the road. Kind of like donating organs, sad at first but then you realize somebody else is being helped. LOL Cheers to all. LB
Interesting find near Darrington WA And an ol' bullnose KW cab.
That bullnose should be worth some money in that kind of shape. Perhaps especially to a KW dealership.
Georgia Pacific Off Highway Kenworth This Kenworth hauled logs for GP in northern Ca. on their off highway road system, they hauled logs from the woods to reloads either at Big Lagoon or Crannell. The logs were reloaded onto highway trucks at Big Lagoon or onto train cars at Crannell for the trip to the big mill at Samoa. I'm not positive of the model number....549? Perhaps HDX or Hayes no1 can help. I don't believe it is a chain drive model. I love the tall stakes.... The second pic has a load headed to Big Lagoon reload, it has cheeseblocks instead of stakes. Most trucks around here were set up with cheeseblocks instead of stakes. Stake trucks were rare in these parts. They were used to haul peck....poles, and you couldn't make any money on poles, so everyone ran cheeseblocks. Things have sure changed, I haven't even seen a cheeseblock in a boneyard in years.
Bare had 1 or 2 trains set up with cheese blocks inside the stakes but Wayne Bare trucking is just a memory now.
What brand of shovel is that behind the first truck?
Nice truck!!!!
Almost Looks Big as the Canadian Trucks! Here is a big Kenworth I'm thinking 888? It belonged to the Joe J. Rossi Co. out of Fort Bragg, Ca. No date was given. From the Palmquist/Yale collection. The front bumper doesn't look like the other 888's in this thread with the four big holes, but the rest of the truck looks true. Correct me if I am in error please. Nice looking truck. Not the biggest logs for that time period. Can someone fill us in on the stubby stakes? They look like they are on a hinge pin of some sort?
Not Highway Legal I have seen this poster numerous times over the years, but never got a copy of it. It was on Union Lumber Co ground out of Fort Bragg, Ca. I don't know what year, but Georgia Pacific bought out Union Lumber Co some time after this photo. No date given. I can't tell the make of truck. The rounded fenders look similar the the 888 in the previous post so we'll put her here I suppose. Nice sticks......even if you were to haul only one of the logs in this load it would still be a major overload ticket! This is the equivalent of 7 highway loads.
Kenworth 524's Well it seems I am correct about 2% of the times when it comes to heavy equipment and trucks, now I get to correct myself this time. I found an article about Joe J Rossi's operation, (see post 511).The big Kenworths he purchased are 524's, not 888's. I'm not sure of the difference, they look similar to a novice. They are cool anyway. Rossi purchased five 524's around 1949. Union Lumber Company later bought Rossi's 5 big Kenworth's and started hauling their own off highway loads. Rossi had a partner for a few years by the name of Chris Nichols. After they dissolved their partnership, Nichols moved north to Humboldt County and established what would be the largest log trucking company in this part of the state. Redwood Construction ran over 300 log trucks at one point. During the 60's and 70's two out of every three trucks you saw on the road were Redwood Construction trucks.....it seemed that way anyway...
An Unusual Off Highway Log Truck....Found!! When I was a kid in the 1960's, my Dad would take me hunting on Simpson ground out of Korbel, Cal. They had these HUGE off highway log trucks that looked so different from any trucks I had ever seen. They had long sections of their off highway road system that was left hand drive. In order to keep these heavy trucks on the inside of the road next to the cut bank, they would have signs left hand drive or right hand drive. On this forum and other places I have seen pictures of Euclid log trucks, and they looked very similar but not quite as my memory had them. Well I finally found a picture of one and WALA!!! There it is! And it even has a sticker on the door that says....... SIMPSON......!!! According to a book Kenworth: The First 75 Years it is a Kenworth Model 802-B. It was developed in 1955 for the mining industry. Cool! Cool! Cool! I love this forum.... it brings so many things and memories to mind. It inspires one to find and dig out the answer to questions.....what was that?.....I wonder if?.....when did....? Anyway, here she is....being loaded with giant logs with a rigged tree and triple drum with a spreader bar setup. The logs are too big for tongs, so they use straps. Enjoy! By the way, please do correct this info if any of it is incorrect.
L924 rb Old one looking in good shape still.
Sure looks like one of Joe's shake block trucks from you know where! Very nice shape!!!!
Interesting Thread, after seeing picks of the 850 rebuilt into a winch tractor it reminded me of a truck a company out of Manning,AB used to have. The company was called Pentastar (out of business) and they had a "large tire high ground clearance truck" they used it as a Crown Truck they called it. Last I seen it it was in about 1999-2000ish. Painted Red & White. I cant recall what make it was to be honest, but it sure dwarft all the normal trucks.
Hi Everyone Well it looks like the 5 850 Kenworths out at duke point in nanaimo of RW Saunders have been sold i seen them leaving on a barge going north i heard that Olsen group bought them i hope to see them working again somewhere out of campbell river. Maybe someone up island could keep us informed.
Some of these KWs are pretty impressive. Forgive my farm background, but every time I see something like this, I want to know how big of manure tanker could you put on it. So, how much weight was the truck chassis capable of bearing? Any ratings on these trucks?
Thanks for the update! Good thing my Dad and I went there and looked at them when we did. At least now I have a ton of pictures in case I never see them again.
Saunders trucks at Duke point Jan. 25/2013. Got a few more pics if anyone wants to see them. d.d.
Love to see them DD
A friend of mine drove the #54 truck, it had the wet kit for the lowbed. These trucks were built for the Kemano haul to replace the Hayes, the top of the stakes had the tips flared out to help at the reload where they hauled out of the lake and over to the salt chuck. He had a ton of photos of all sorts of mishaps that went on that he showed me, sadly he passed away it the 90's. Hope the trucks all see action again.
Saunders trucks. d.d.
Wonder who loaded the trailer on the freshly painted one?Or no air in the trailer when it stopped suddenly and it rolled over the bunk.
Water Truck Water or Fuel truck.still around,must be pretty old.Most likely ex BCFP truck.
That looks like the one Olympic had at Sandspit.
Was it '65 or '66 when KW went to the more modern cab design? Chances are pretty good that truck is a good 50 years old.
If I were to guess, I'd say that one was about a 62. I think the new cab came out in '66?
I'm almost positive the '66 models had the new cab, but not quite sure when the first year of the new cab was. Now, if Rusty Grapple will just come along and comment.....
The Loggers' Handbooks I have are packed away somewhere, but if anyone has a few from about '64 to '66, we could solve this mystery easily.
lowbed driver posted this message a few months back and I just read this thread; "Sad day for me. Cut up an 848 so it would fit in that scrap bin. Old girl sat for 3-4 years. Hooked up one set of jumper cables and she fired up real easy. Pushed it with the 988 and got it going, unhooked the 16 wheel lowbed (which is why we bought it) and drove her in the shop for the torch. I have been told she is a 1957 L848. Originaly came from California. Company tag on inside of door reads "Champion Timberlands McCloud California" Serial # 117704." My Dad logged for McCloud River Lumber Co (Northern Calif on the SE side of Mt Shasta) and various successors which included Champion International. Most of what he logged for them was hauled by highway trucks, but at least one or two areas nearer to the mill on the North side of Hwy 89 were logged with off highway trucks. I can't recall now if they used company trucks, or contracted haulers and he is gone, so can't ask about it. I have a poor photo of one off highway load and truck somewhere, have to find and post it.
My fire truck is a '64 with the newer style cab. Years ago I loaded logs on a '63 Kenworth and it had the old style cab. It might be different in Canada, I had a '73 Canadian built Kenworth that had the older style door handles, while the '72 Kenworths here had the new door handles.
Just doing a bit of research, some of the trucks had the newer cab in '64, and others may have had the old cab much later, possibly as late as 1968. That is for Canadian KW, anyway. No idea about the US made trucks.
\hi Guys I think this unit is a 1960-61 848 Kenworth. The cab is anyways because of the small windshields and the two bars down the door. I think it is a made up front end as the brush guard is too small for the radiator. The hood sides don't look right but the bumper is original. It has a small frame might even be a 548 I have a few older build records so I will look for BCFP as there is orange paint there. Kenworth went to the big windshields in 1966 with door handles up above until 1972 then door handle went down. What is this old girls fate? What is the serial number I might have it on record.
Didnt look for any serial #'s.It is still a proud part of a local logging Co's tools though,and will probably run until some goofy eco or environmental regs would shut it down one day.
Newer tanker Fairly recent photo.
yup u are probably rite what engine was in it?
Old 115 is back doing it's thing...well sorta...mostly smaller scale jobs... http://youtu.be/ca9-QhF1yuA Reg
Simply OUTSTANDING!!!! What a fantastic model you have created & R/C to boot! Ap40
Thanks Ap40! The video should be up soon. Still some details to add but this will be the way she goes to the antique truck show in Duncan BC next month. Hope everyone likes it! Reg
Reg You sure got everybody's attention now !!!! I almost fell down THAT IS FANTASTIC !! Time to take her on a road trip to the Duncan Truck Show in a couple weeks. WOW you sure nailed it.
with a little imagination the electric motor almost sounds like a v12 detroit too. Great stuff
WOW! I had to look twice at the picture to tell it wasn't the real thing. Great job!
HD mech I totally agree! I thought it was a rebuild because of all the new paint. maybe after he gets a million miles on it and the Detroit starts leaving oil all over the underside of the truck we won't even be able to tell at all................lol............TIO
Hi Reg. That looks amazing. Might have to go up to Duncan just to see it. Thanks Doug.
Thanks a lot guys. Big thanks to those of you that helped me gather info and pictures of the 850 KW's back when I started the model. I hope to see some of you in Duncan! HDX, Let me know when you need a 1/10 scale Hayes built....
Very nice work RCP57:notworthy
Great thread! Those trucks are really awesome! I wish I could have one of those great trucks. I'm looking forward to see lots of Kenworth trucks!
Hi Reg, what a great model. It's fantastic and outstanding! Sorry I can't make to The Duncan show this year but hopefully next year. Keep up your great work!
I thank you very much for your help along the way. Without your pictures early on, it would have taken longer to build the frame and suspension. Too bad you won't be out here this time but I hope to have even more stuff built for next years show!
Hi RCP57....Are you interested in building one of these trucks to sell.....Yes I know the time and cost involved.....Thanks.... Cory
You bet! I need a winter project that puts me on the +$ not -$.lol Reg
Cool.....You can e-mail me direct using (diamondtguy at g-mail dot com)....Thanks......Cory
RCP57 Handiwork... It was good meeting you today at the Duncan Antique Truck Show, Reg. You and your friends have been busy boys building these scale models. Thanks for letting me pick your brain on some of the finer details of what went into them. Maybe I will finally get off my duff and start getting serious of what I planned on building all these years - a Madill 044.
It was a pleasure meeting you as well Jack. I hope you get started on that Madill soon! If I can help let me know. Here's a couple more with Gord's truck... Reg
Another one. I might even pop by again this morning to see what else has shown up. I would have hung around longer, but I was getting stinking hot in my motorbike riding suit.... I'll be getting in touch with you.
Duncan Truck Show And the last two.....
H-183 H-183 KW with load of spruce in Juskatla QCI
Greatwestcam There is sure not very many of those old chain drives left anymore. Back in the mid 90's Vic Laughlin and I managed to save the H173 from M&B Kelsey Bay Division. Shop foreman Terry Boulet and Rick Telford were the guys that saved it for us. We borrowed Jamie Bracht's low bed and went up and got her. She was VERY overwidth and sure looked wide on that lowbed.She stayed in Port Alberni for several years then the AV Museum traded it to the Duncan Forest Museum for a steam tractor. She remains down at their facility in Duncan on display
I remember that old girl. We had an old tank on it and would pump our used oil into then oil the roads in the summer to keep the dust down. Can you imagine what they would do to you now if you did that That truck would sit there all year and come the summer we would flip the night switch, hit the starter and away it would go. Old Cummins in it, 265 I think, but that was long ago. Thanks for saving the beast
KELSEY BAY PAVING CREW was on the tank if memory serves me ,We didn't get the tank just cab and chassis BUT at least she was saved
I'm not sure if its the same truck ,but Ron Long had a power steering hose burst on a KW he was driving on the Gordon R. M/L at the Gordon R. summit the truck caught fire . The insurance fix it but I heard it got sold as it was around the time M&M were having problems. Lea Fortin Mike Fortin and Bill Spiller drove the three KW with Cat's in them the one Lea drove was also sold . When it became Forest Land Industries Ron and Lea were driving P16 Pacific's.
Yes, I was told the truck caught fire, was rebuilt and sold. I'm not sure who bought it and nobody seems to know what happened to the truck over the years. I would like to find out though... Reg
Since we're back on the subject of 115, I added a noise maker to my model today. I think it sounds somewhat green... http://youtu.be/7d_I_muGUpg
Fantastic !!!!
Thats amazing well done ,I hate to get picky but your faller buckers should buck the logs alittle longer ,and I never see Ron Long with a load that small on the 115 But I have seen him with loads the DLS crew was scared to unload lol All kidding a side you do really good work.
Caycuse early 1980`s Malloch&Moseley`s empty trucks. A load that could have been Ron Long`s at Honeymoon Bay DLS
Yeah I think I need to take a tape with me the next time I buck some logs for it. I always think that they're going to be too long until I put them on the truck and they end up too short! I really want to put a huge load on it and I know the truck would carry it but I don't think the driveline will stand up. Truck, trailer and current load are over 100 lbs combined so that's enough for a toy. Thanks for the compliments! Reg
Great pictures! Did you have a camera glued to you at all times? If that's the case I'm glad you did! Looks like 115 may be hiding, fourth truck back in that line up. All the other trucks have their stakes facing the opposite way...Just a guess.
RCP57 I use to have a little 126 instamatic that use to travel with me ,but I didn't always have on my person .When I started Home Guarding at Renfrew I did have it with me all the time . When it went south I go one of those little Disc camera's. then my wife bought me a 35mm trueshot or something like that . When BCFP was take over by the Vulter's from down under I quite taking pictures . When Timber west was created I was opimizistic about their approch so I started to take pictures again . When they showed their true colours the picture taking slowed down.
RCP57 Just a thought if you use dry cedar or balsam its about the lightest wood you could use.
For sure. I would love to get my hands on some balsam just to have something other than cedar on the truck. I cut some spruce in the Yukon back in August that would have looked very to scale because of it's super tight grain but it's just too dense and heavy so I didn't drag it home. I guess I will have to split a few on the bandsaw, remove some material from the center and glue them back together. It would be nice to put a "show load" on it without busting something. I'm glad you had a camera with you as much as you did. You have some great photos/memories. I may have to call on you for some pictures for a model build someday in the future. Reg
RCP57 Anytime you can use any of my picture just get in touch your more than welcome. Just a thought could you drill out the center of logs on a lathe, then plug ends.
Thanks very much, I appreciate that! I may attempt to build a log loader or stacker in the near future so I will be looking for some help. I'm not sure if you could put these in a lathe as they're fairly big but my buddies up island used cardboard tube, wrapped cedar bark around it and capped the ends with real wood. That worked out pretty good and is very light. I may have to scalp a couple of cedars come spring!
BCFP Renfrew Div. Early 1980's Bill Neil's Kenworth
BCFP Renfrew Div. A Malloch % Moseley 850 Kenworth I think its Mike Fortin with the #143 on Gordon R. M/L
BCFP Caycuse Div. Here you go RCP57 A picture of the Malloch & Moseley #115 at the Caycuse DLS waiting in line to get dumped with Ham Bone breaking every rule in the book . lol
Early KW With A-Frame Set Up at Bonners Ferry, Idaho
BCFP Renfrew Div. Malloch & Moseley 850 Kenworth on Gordon River M/L
311 is my dads truck is still drives it today and just had a rebuild on the motor as it blow up after he told them it needed it they didn't listen so he got stuck with a old run down p16 till his was finished I have more photos of the trucks he drove and of 311
my dads old 1980 849 kw for beaver cove truck #207 for chesslekes logging any info on the where abouts of this truck please pm me with info or photos thanks
dy-39 kw850 ex mars A-12
Dy-37 kw850
Dy-32 kw850
RB Auction at Chemainus 2008 849 or 850 Kenworth
Do, Do you (or anyone else) have more photos of this unit? Ap40
I was only able to get this shot of the truck, it was a weekend and yard was fenced in. They also had a Hayes HD400 and a couple of older Euclid dozers in various degrees of neglect that were impossible to photograph from outside the yard. I have a shot of an ex military NO Mack with a similar setup on it also tsken in Idaho, but can't find the photo.
My mini 850 (#115) got some lights today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro-MjhSbQpQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
Looks so realistic you can't tell the difference
Looks like you getting ready for next years IOEA's Christmas Lights Truck Parade , maybe you could team up with Gordy I and display it at Ogden point and Western Speedway Big M and Little M all lite up
Haha, I was thinking the same thing! I sent him some pictures of it today so we'll see what he thinks.lol
I just wanted to let everyone know that there will be a model train and RC construction/logging equipment show going on at the museum in Campbell River this Saturday 12-5pm and Sunday 12-4pm. I will be there on Saturday with my Kenworth and some other stuff but the local guys will be there both days. I hope to see some of you there! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqOOWUyQLyw&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A&feature=c4-overview Reg
Thanks for the heads up Reg. I'm hoping to make my way up to this meet - I think you mentioned it here a few months ago. Where exactly is this museum - near the waterfront?
I have never been there before but it looks like it is on the waterfront along the old highway.
Question. Hi, sounds interesting. Trains and RC stuff. Any chance there may be some static models on display?? Might be fun to take some of my models up. Thanks Doug.
I'm not really to sure what to expect. I do know that all of it is setup on tables and that my KW is just going to be a static display. It's too large to drive on a table.... I don't see anyone getting mad if you showed up with a couple things....
I just did a search online and this seems to be more of a model railroad show - that's what they are promoting it as.
Yes that's right. 4 of us are going with our construction and logging stuff to join the "train" crowd. It's all setup on tables so it is nothing like the outdoor shows we do in the summer....only a little dirt...
I did the train thing many years ago with my young son. He was a young enthusiast - I used to haul him to the Royal Hudson maintenance shops in North Van where he would play/pretend in the cab of the old girl. They finally got so tired of us, we were banned... I didn't blame them because they had open pits that we could have fallen into. The model train lay-out I built with him was abandoned in Burnaby, when I moved 2 years ago. My attic has boxes of engines/rolling stock from this era - I'm trying to figure what to do with them. I probably won't be heading up today - I'm getting over this rotten cold that has been affecting everyone.
Ah yes, the rotten cold. We have 'em here as well. I'm still getting over mine.
The only time I drink any more is if I have a cold along with a sore throat. I was fortunate enough to have a sore throat as part of the deal. Gotta love that peach brandy.
I don't think you got it from me.
lost dump truck Kenworth 849.video at http://youtu.be/vETu5wRH8FY
KW off HW preloader - 849 model I think
Another off HW KW
How hard is it to get one of thous big kW ?
Im not sure it fits in this thread, but when I was 14 or so i drove a big OLD kw watering private roads. It was in orange paint with Crown Zellerbach marking on the doors, Approximate vintage was 1947 or so, it had a 220 cummins dated 1961 on the block with a 4x3 trans setup. 24 inch rubber with Timken worm rears. Sound familiar to anybody? Truck is still existing as an "A" frame boom truck on a farm. Il try to get some pics soon. Oh, BTW the cab serial number is 0001, Really.
Bob J.
That is serious logging.
What a nice load Now were are logging!!! Perfect Jag. Bet there was very few leans on that road LOL
Camptramp, can i share some of the pics you are posting,like in post nr. 614? I enjoy all the photos and stories here.....
Kenworth in Port McNeill -67, wonder what engine in these? Second photo- anybody recon these young fellas, sunday trip to Sointula... Sigurd
My guess would be a 335 Cummins back then. Partly for the Jake, vs. Cat.
I may be able to get some info. My uncle Doug Rogers was running the dump machine back then. Was this WFI back then?
Just came to me. I remember that Rayonier was logging in McNeil back in 60s
When I worked at Port McNeil in the summer of 1968 it was the Pioneer Timber Co. a wholly owned subsidiary of Rayonier Canada . I recall some old company logging trucks possibly 848 Kenworths there at the time supplemented by some contract logging trucks, forget the name of contractor. While I was there some new Kenworth's started to arrive I think they were 849's. The lodging for the bunk houseing was contracted out to the owners of the DaleWood Inn there were trailerl's set up on the bank above the Dalewood Inn our Cafeteria dinning room was in the basement of the Dalewood Inn under the Beer Parlor , after work there were two lineup's one heading down stairs for dinner and one heading upstairs to the Pub. I recall one yarding engineer who's only ambition in life was to be a drunk and be able to afford it.
According to my records they bought 3 new KW,s in 1966 with v12,s and 90,000 clarks with 15 foot bunks but these trucks are pre 66 as they have small windshields I will look deeper
Those Kenworths in the picture may have belonged to the contractor , as I remember them to be a sort of beige colour . I may have missed seeing the 1966 Kenworths but I know they bought some new Kenworths in 1968 . They were having trouble getting drivers even Ross Smith the Personal Guy who had previously been a truck driver was out driving one. And they were Yellow with green hoods.
The engines in Post 618 appear to be in-line 6 cylinders.
1931 kenworth, I think one of the three new Kenworths are this one, pic taken 1967
I agree with you Vigilant
Well the 3 new Kenworths they bought in 1966 had Allison automatics and this one on its side has a clark automatic hanging out the bottom so I will get some more info but that is for sure a clark.
Mind you the truck has big windshields so it is after 1966
Port McNeill still has 2 849's 2119 with under slung springs and a Clark, and 2129 with reg springs also with a Clark. They are both 60's vintage. I think 29 is an 69. Both have TT V12 71's in them with Jake heads.
Blk prince Kemano Roy Saunders
Blk prince Kemano Roy Saunders
i might buy a KW 850 off road logging truck dicast on ebay should i go for it
Yesterday I attempted to load my Kenworth with my Volvo excavator using the bucket and thumb. I have never tried to load the truck before so it didn't go all that smooth but eventually got it done without crushing or damaging either model. The first video is a bit long in the tooth, especially toward the end when struggle to load a big chunk of wood.lol I need some more practice before the show in Duncan! Maybe i need to rig up a haywire grapple using the hydraulics from the thumb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO83Xs9Cz80&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er3WVjpFX6M&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A Thanks for looking. Reg
When they dump those loads of peckerpoles, do they keep them bundled? If they were dumped loose, I would think they would be a nightmare to boom up.
Vigilant,those loads are dumped as bundles. The second picture in Post 623 shows loads coming out of the water loaded onto trailers then hauled to Kemano and unloaded as in the third picture. This wood was all for the pulp mill in Kitimat
Looks Like they have Megan wires on them (megan wire is a reusable bundle wire we use here on the coast) . Also I think that A frame is the one Western bought, and we have in Jeune Landing.
RCP57,just great to watch all aspects of your video. Your talent is awesome. I see you have some spare time tocollect firewood as well.
I am sure all this equipment is gone from up there now. I would liketo send you a brief PM.
RCP57 I just love the sound effects on the log truck. Sounds just like a 12V71T to me.
I must have missed that. Thanks. In these parts, trees that size would most likely go to the stud mill first, with the leftovers going to pulp. I assume those loads came from a thinning operation, and not a clearcut....
Thanks very much. Haha, yes i like to cut firewood every now and then. It keeps me from getting any fatter and I also enjoy being in the woods. Thanks! I want to install a sound unit in the Hayes too but space is so much more limited with it being 40% smaller. I will have to come up with something eventually. Reg
I read and hear about this Kemano haul from time to time. Can someone give us the particulars on this Kemano haul business? Where was this haul occurring? I know Kemano is connected to Alcan and Kitimat but that is the extent of my knowledge. Who was the work being done for? How long did this business go on for? How was the the wood yarded, loaded and hauled to the waterbody? I presume this wood was logged somewhere in the interior of northern BC judging by its size. How was it towed, particulars on the towing company, etc.? Who operated the dump and reload machinery? Where was it hauled to be dumped again? How did Saunders get involved? Did they just haul or did they have a wider scope of activity? And perhaps as a bigger question what was the history of R. W. Saunders Hauling? I believe they were quite a big outfit at one time. How did the company get started, how big did it become, how long were they in business, their scope of operations and fleet size and the cause of their demise? Its probably worth a thread of its own judging by how regularly the company is mentioned. Thank you to whoever can fill us in on the particulars.
Saunders came to Kitimat in the late 60's when Enzo forest products (later West Fraser) started logging here in the late 60's. The logging in Kemano was a combination of clear cut logging as well as hauling logs from West Tahtsa lake, so the logs may seem to have an interior look to them. The A frame is at the mouth of the Kemano River where Alcan has their wharf. About 10km up the road to Kemano you would turn and the logging road would head up Wachwas creek and climb up into and over the mountains and down past Sandifer lake and to west Tahtsa. Alcan flooded Ootsa and Tahtsa lakes to basically make one lake. There was also an A-frame at the lake. My Uncle worked on the tug boats both in the ocean and up at the lake and on days off he would volunteer to drive loaded trucks from the lake to the ocean. Said he hauled about 30-40 loads that way so he did do some driving there. Saunders had a shop in Kitimat up until the mid 80's when they moved to Terrace. They had off highways here until about 84 and then went to highway trucks and Terrace since the mill was in Terrace. They did maintain an off highway KW lowbed here until the mid 90's but their only customer could not keep it busy enough so it left. I have some old photos of their operation and maybe one day I will learn how to get them on here for all to look at. Cheers for now Lowbed Driver
Saunders Couple of their trucks,the off highway is kemano.
Lowbed driver,thanks for info. I thought I had started something I could not finish. One of my friends was working on this haul and gave me pictures and notes but he has since come down with ALS. He is in a home,has been for over10 years and only 57yrs old. Not able to speak so It would not be easy for him to tell me all about Kemano. As for Saunders Hauling, there was a big order of Hayes trucks and trailers for this haul. I am sure HDX can fill in all the missing info on this portion.
I have a parts manual for a Canadian Kenworth 1959 848, Serial # 80311, Customer Columbia Cellulose in nice condition, any interest, you pay postage its yours, I am in Squamish, thx Ken
Hi Ken I would love it do u want me to mail u the postage just let me know thanks larry
Chris H ,Hearsey Transport Duncan B.C. I don't know the whole story but Hearsey Transport of Duncan B.C. , must have had a subsidiary or partnership with someone in Hinton Alberta as these pictures are from the early 1970's and were with other pictures of Hearsey Transport trucks,and are painted a simlar paint scheme and colour
I was in Gold River first week of May and talked to the driver of a 850 that just came out of the shop 1 week before after a major rebuild and paint. Have several pictures of it with a large load of Cedar, Just have figure out how to post pictures. Might Cory (diamondTguy) to do it for me. Hank R
This 850 just came out of WFP shop end of April was repowered with a Detroit 60 series at 600hp. I was told by the driver that it uses 150 litres less fuel a day than the old motor.
In 1975 when I was working in Sparwood for Fred Sowchuck he got this new KW 850 this was his first KW. Pictures are beside the shop at the tire bay out side of course.
We had those Michelin tires for steering axle tires. Actually H17 came from the factory with them on her in 75. We didn't have all that much success with them and when the "Happy Face" tires came along we all ended up with them. Probably the BEST TIRES we ever had on off highway trucks! I asked the Michelin rep at a trade show if they would ever make them again and he said NO WAY They were a directional tire and therefore no good! So being in the right mood I said well why don't you give the moulds to GOODYEAR or FIRESTONE and see what happens. He was not impressed Too bad because they were so far ahead of anything out there today.
The biggest problem I remember is that they had to much grip. If the spacer was not 100% clean and the rest of the rim, one could not stop the hub from taking out the valve stem on the tubes ended up welding 5/8 nuts to the rim so if the rim slipped you did not get a flat right away.
These pictures are of Norm Simmons he bought this 848 6x6 and built a logging arch on it in the late 1950's he logged near Prince George at the time Norm told me that you learned to park near a stump when you wanted to get out of the truck as the first step was big getting in.
Not all loads are picture perfect, safety was not like it is now a days.
WOW just a little bit of stake bind going on there.
Was in Powell River and seen these gems, I think one might have a bit of life left in her.
This Kenworth was in they same yard as the Alpine P-12, and was going into the shop soon to get serviced as going to work north of Campbell on a Island.
I am not sure as to the Model but am thinking 848 KW. My friend Brain Blank went to the island, Port Alice in 1978, for a year .
My friend Dave McIntosh drove this 1982, 848 Kenworth near Kwatna Bay in 1986. Dave found a soft spot on the road.
Hank R that third picture was Bill Neil's Kenworth new at Sooke hauling for Butler Brothers . Not sure if its an 849 or 850.
You may be 100% correct. Dave gave me these pictures about 4 years ago and I an just going by what he told me and you know where and whose trucks they are. Heck I do not even know where these locations are. I have to work this week but I will see if I can get hold of Dave on the weekend.
Hank R Bill Neil was pushed out of BCFP Renfrew Div in 1985 , as BCFP started to switch from all off highway trucks to some off highway trucks and some highway trucks . in 1984 Renfrew Div. was running 13 company off highway trucks ,supplemented by 4 contract off highway trucks , In 1986 Renfrew Div. had 7 off highway company trucks , 5 highway company trucks supplemented by at least 9 sometimes 12 contract highway trucks . Ron Peters who had 1 of the contract off highway trucks , traded his P16 Pacific in on 2 P510 Pacific highway trucks. Bill Neil who was nearing if not passed the age of retirement took his 2 trucks to the mid coast area possibly not far from Bellacoola.
848 Kenworth Dave was driving for Kwatna Timber 1991.
The place I grew up and used to work at bought 2or3 old KW's atleast I think they were that looked just like a lot of these. I was about twelve when they had them. They came from the sugar Kane fields in Hawaii. If I had to guess the were 850's the tires were 4-5 feet tall iirc. I wish I had pictures of them. I remember they were orange, one got sold to a company that moved very large trees.
848 Kenworth near Kwatna Bay, G & F logging. driver Barry Schpfield. 1993
Hi I always say correct me if I am wrong I am not always correct. The red kenworth leaning over is a 849S has big windshields all 848s had small windshields and the bumper on all 849s were a box bumper. The front axle is a 18,000 shuler with budd wheels. The yellow Bill Neil truck #16 is a 849RF which was the pre 850 1966 67 era you know by the tube not box bumper I remember this truck at kenworth when I worked there we converted the rear suspension from under slung springs to over like the HDX's Bill was there I was talking to him and he said this KW susp was the SH**** he had enough too tippy breaking u bolts Herman Bittman was the mech working with him he liked Herman no bull type of guy tell the truth when kenworth had problems customers liked him. The yellow truck after Bills with no markings on it I think is a 849RF but it could be a early 850 with the sloped hood because of the front axle which is a FU900 not a shuler like the 849's. Just a note all 848 and 849S had fenders that dropped down on the back end by the cab and air cleaners and 850S were straight thru like the Hayes but kenworth would do custom things like all the dealers anything to get the orders. The picture of the fellow on the front bumper I am pretty sure is a 849S has the steel roof and u can see the flex frame by the battery box start to get thicker under the cab plus a box bumper and budd wheels on front leads me to 849S. Hey if u have company names or serial numbers I might have the line tickets for these units let me know. Hope this helps correct me if I am wrong.
I think I might have a picture somewhere of some orange sugar kane kenworths I will have a look.
Dave drove this KW 848 for G & F logging 1983.
A bit interesting information.
the hearsey K W,s in hinton ab when was work out there a company name bootan owned the trucks the story was hearsey whent broke they worked for northwest pulp n power before weldwood take over
I'd be curious if that was them. I know a picture exist of me standing by it for a size comparison when the guy bought it. But I don't think we had a copy anymore.
Posts 671 and 672 remind me of when Kenworth could make real trucks and did. I'm not sure if the new stamped aluminum cab wonders they are making now are from the same DNA. Such is progress I guess.
1931 Kenworth,from your past,do you recall the 2 big KWs one built for Orville "Rusty" Wardriff and one for Bob Forester? I posted pictures of Bob's on the "Accident" thread.
Hi Hank Do u have the serial number of this truck by chance. I think it might be a 849 with a flex frame FU900 front axle and 91,000 clarks most all of the 850's had mirror posts and 849's had extended mirror brackets like that. Looks like a channel frame not a I beam I will have a look to see if I have this chassis record but it might be too new for my old records they went to micofilm in 1973 will have a look just for fun. Larry
I do not have the serial # of the truck, at the time I did not even take a picture of the inside. Just one more truck, and I never drove this truck. But it did have a channel frame.
Hi Yes I do remember both of thesetrucks I bought bob forresters who was my uncle in 1978 and took it to Campbell river got on a barge and went into Thompson sound to work for Richard krenz but that is a whole other story I got lots of pictures of it.
A couple KW pictures that I posted in the wrong topic earlier this week.
A KW 848 or 849 model. Owner Olympic Forest Products unit #42
KW 849 or 50 model. Owner; Funey Ventures. Summer 2014
Hi the truck is an 850 kenworth late 80,s I think by the hood design.
1931 kenworth Is that truck not one of Saunders 850's that went up that way??? I mean the one pictured in the last post
HDX you may be correct on that one, the way it is rigged out and paint. But I would not want to bet on this one have not seen as many trucks as many other forum members have.
6x6 KW dump truck. Owner is a logging contractor in Campbell River. Summer 2014
KW 848 logging truck. Owner is a logging contractor in Campbell River. Summer 2014
Hugh frechette put that truck together when we were at inland kenworth in Nanaimo I think the name was stone hill excavating it went north to Campbell river I think.
Post 681 when I was at Nitinat Lake for Malloch one of the KWs had the same sticker on the bush guard,I think it was the 143 with Bill Spiller at the wheel. Can anyone remember?
KW 849 or 850 model. Owner Olympic Forest Products unit #39. Summer 2014
Unit in last post also has same decal on brush guard. Were either of these owned by Malloch?
Blk prince I think you are right .Bill Spiller ended up getting a new Kenworth (850) and so did Lea Fortin this truck was driven by Gordies dad Ike Somewhere I have pictures of it when Ike drove it.
It seemed to me that this decal was only on 1-2 Malloch trucks. Ink did not see it anywhere else
Yes u can see the light yellow on the stakes and the 121's are a given. Saunders and MB kelsey bay bought all 121's in the end.
KW 850 WFP #2258; Kelsey Bay summer 2014
KW 850 WFP unit #2176 and KW C500 WFP unit #2250 with load. Kelsey Bay summer 2014.
Some KW at WFP shop at Menzies Bay. Summer 2014. I dont know what happend with the C-500....
That's where 2117 went I thought they cut here up .Good to see is still around
Wow this thread was 3 pages back! This is model related but some of you may find it entertaining.... http://youtu.be/V1fXVBCRw0U?list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
RCP57,very well done Reg. KW still paying her way. Merry Xmas to you and all your family
In 4 or so weeks we need to see how you reload the lights. Well done Reg.
Reg, Looks like you have found another use for your lowboy, liked the motor noise great job.. Where you able to do all that on one battery? Thanks for sharing you have a Merry Christmas, also!
Fantastic model, think i add one on my wish list so i can show my grandchildren some real stuff! By the way, looks like youve got a flat tire on the rear axle right side outer on trailer. Have a happy Christmas all of you! Sigurd
#32 Eve River
Yep gotta bring her our and knock the dust off every now and then! Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Ian! Unfortunately I haven't figured that one out yet Hank. I think the plan there will be to do it on a day when my wife is home to help me! It's only fair that she do some of the work right?lol Merry Christmas to you! Yes, one battery Jim. This truck is hard on batteries though if the ground isn't flat. I would guess that the GVW was easily over 100 pounds at the start so it takes a lot of juice! I hope you have a Merry Xmas and an Island tour in the New Year! Thanks Sigurd! I will be sure to have the mechanic check the tire....Hired help these days... Merry Xmas to you!
RCP57, good morning. We are waiting for a ride to ferry then we fly to PG this afternoon. Cannot wait to play video for my Granson. All the best
Unit 1 Orford River
I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thanks to those of you that have taken the time to come and find me at a show and introduce yourselves. I hope to see all of you in 2015! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql6XTik2clw&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A Reg
The best of the season to you and all our fellow members. Hopefor lots of pictures and stories in 2015. I will PM you in the spring and come for a visit Reg. All the best Ian
Merry Christmas to all my new friends in the northwest, and to everyone else the very best wishes. Enjoy some family time, and the good food that seems to always appear on the holidays.
Greatwestcam do you work at Decca? OK guys here are some action shots of A22. I quite admire Capstan kept the original Mars unit numbers. Hope you guys enjoy these shots
BC-12valve, nice shots of the old girl working, I was talking to someone from Capstan and they said they didn't use the truck as much as they hope for due to the wide wheel track that is 100", said a 90" track would allow easier highway permitting, or something of that sort. I recently left the Kenworth dealership after 14 years for different work.
You are correct, A22 is primarily used to pull their 96 wheel lowboy, but like you said with permitting they usually just use their planetary drive Kenworth C550 and a push truck. A22 does work on the bush roads when needed though.
Ferney picked that truck up some years back. It's pictured sitting down at the old Timber West shop at Middle point. It is an ex-Saunders truck. We picked up the 5 that were at Duke point in June of 2013, the day after we barged them to Campbell, WFP sent some guys down to go over the trucks as they were going to make an offer on them. But the trucks were already parked in T-Mars yard as they were about to leave town. I'll post some pictures of the 2 we have hauling right now.
I think the number for this was K63. It was 63 anyways. We call it LT63. This was the other day in McGowan Bay. Here's 64
I tried to do some miniature logging yesterday. It wasn't very successful... The lowbed driver parked the truck in the way, then left and the skidder operator forgot to fuel up his machine before loading it up.... Truck driver showed up again once the skidder was done for the day though so that was good. At least it all made it back to the shop... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RTjqzbaBQQ&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Y6g9NBbRk&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A
Always enjoy your video's great job
Reg, looking and sounds great. You forgot to chain the skidder on the trailer. Sure is neat to see, thanks for sharing.
Klukwan Forest Products KW I'm late to the party,but here is my contribution. I took this photo summer of 1990 at Hobart Bay, Ak . She is parked on the ready line prepared to go to work. I had just performed a service on her and fixed a few things. At that time, Klukwan Forest Products was in full production. I believe this was an 850, but they also had a number of C500's. Tell me what you think it is.
Great pictures I do not know a lot about KW's , but your never to late to join HEF , welcome aboard . Looking foreword to seeing more of your pictures .
My guess is that it is a heavy duty C-500 do not know the exact model #.
Mine as well.
Yes it is a C-500 will scan information after supper.
My scan did not work out as good as I wanted, sorry.
Thanks Hank R. and Vigilant, Thanks for identifying that beast. I see some of the differences now. Just looked at the Kenworth website and noticed that the C500B is still in production. Here is another one set up as a logger. This one was at Hobart Bay summer of 1990 and is painted in Long Island Development colors. Klukwan Forest Products purchased Long Island Development IIRC and still had some of their old equipment. Funny thing, working in the rain forest had caused the plywood cab floors to soften and rot on all these trucks. I remember replacing a few of them with new plywood. The C500 brochure is very cool..... Thanks for posting that Hank R. Coaldust
Looks more like an LW9.
Definately a C5
I've been trying to build myself a more realistic play area for the mini stuff so I got my Dad to help me move some dirt in behind my shop. He loaded the truck and I hauled it. Now I have a fairly big pile to make some scale sized logging road.... The first one is not KW related so forgive me but it will make more sense in the second video and so on.... [video=youtube;JJf9z0OUQhY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJf9z0OUQhY&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A[/video]
[video=youtube;0k5xtXQXtTo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k5xtXQXtTo&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A[/video]
The steering servo was giving me some grief here and I couldn't make the turns... [video=youtube;4m2SPzoQbZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2SPzoQbZI&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A[/video]
[video=youtube;1PQxs48HY-s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PQxs48HY-s&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A[/video]
Last one of the KW [video=youtube;GbBweEdrJFY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBweEdrJFY&list=UUrzqEOj31tJ-DusnO8Onw7A[/video]
Not sure if I should comment on your cool new play ground.. the great camera angles.. the need for traction control in the KW... or....Holy crap do you ever have a lot of firewood. So I will say nothing......Good work Oh ya...no drinking and driving
Looks great Reg, know you just need a log loader!
Where are the trees? or at least the stumps Looks great, though you may have to have a talk with the catskinner about making the turns wider so you can get around. Really though, that is a super playground for some really great trucks. :drinkup
Reg, What a bunch of real neat videos, like the new mountains with roads. Does make the scale of things look even more realistic. Great job!
Thanks Cory. You can never have too much firewood.... Yes I sure do! Just need to decide what to build and then find 6 months of free time!lol I will be working on the stump thing. Hopefully, I can find some small ones somewhere and plant them in the ground. The size of the KW(1/10) makes it tough to play in a confined area. The Hayes is a much better scale(1/14) for playing like this although I really like the bigger scale better for looks and details. I need to change the servo that operates the steering in the KW and that will help. It doesn't always turn when I want it to and in a corner that tight it makes a huge difference. I also get screwed up when I start watching through the camera screen and not looking where I'm going. I guess I can't multitask very well.... Thanks Jim. When are you coming out to play?
Reg, Kind of depends on a few things happening around here. Would like to meet up with you, if there is a truck show at Duncan or Alberni see that, also. Then hope I can get Steve to give me another ride, and see the guys I met last year. So many really good people there that I would like to see again.
What's her name Jim?lol Duncan show is on July 18-19 I believe. Not sure about the Port Alberni show but I'm guessing labor day weekend.
I will be coming back over for one of the shows..Maybe I can arrange a tour for "The field of Dreams".......
YAAAY! Finally remembered my password!!!!
Clint Your Back about time LOL
No kidding, I never used my password, just depended on password manager, which seems to have forgotten EVERYTHING.... Every so often I come here and try another password.
Welcome back Trakloader!
It's been excessively quiet around here so here is a toy video to break up the silence... I've been working on making a series of scale sized logging roads for my model equipment. It is coming along nicely so far. [video=youtube;pHr5HY7Snb4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHr5HY7Snb4[/video] Reg
Reg, You have quite a nice place to work your equipment now. So realistic, guess after seeing your models I should of known the road would be right down to the last detail. Very neat my friend, thanks for sharing, with us.
Well done Reg. Weather is such a bonus right now.
Well done....(as usual)......
Some of you guys may enjoy this. A little side project I am working on for myself using some 1/14 Tamiya semi truck chassis parts and a hand made aluminum body. Not sure what model truck this would be but I am building it to resemble some of the old M&M trucks from the early 60's. Not sure if it will be a logger or another gravel truck. I guess I'll see how it feels when the cab is finished. [video=youtube;9w2C7EG1iRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w2C7EG1iRY[/video] Reg
I really like the curved lines of the roof..That would take a bit of work....
Thanks Cory. Yeah the roof took a little fiddling around but it wasn't too bad. I'm either getting better at this or my standards are lower. Some tasks just don't seem that stressful anymore.lol
truck was partially parted out. I have the meat of it sitting in my yard. waiting for an opening to rekindle it.
Dose it still have the clark in it ?
A mini KW update. [video=youtube;ri5SAp7TBb8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri5SAp7TBb8[/video]
Reg,looks great and good commentary. Carry on
075 Good thinking.
Looks like an old-style cab. Pre '65 or so.
Reg, very great looking build you sure have the eye fro details, thanks for sharing!
Looks spectacular as always Reg
Thanks guys. Going for the late 50's to mid 60's look on this one. I haven't decided what to do about the wheels. I was planning to make some Bud wheels for it but I kinda like the shiny look too. I might have to buy or make some nice looking modern style wheels for it later on.
I want to know where you found the 12" X 120" planks for the bridge decking? Must have been quite the mill. Quite nice, good photography!
Haha, yeah those were some huge trees! I was thinking they looked a bit like concrete slabs. It would be nice to have a bridge made with scale size timbers and planks but I was in a hurry to get both of them built and dropped into the road so that I could get hauling. Time is money you know!lol Thanks for the compliment! Reg
Axe Men Season 8 truck 1967 KW 849 from Triack Resources,sold for $8500 here on may 27/2015.video at- https://youtu.be/YT9z0nD1mTk
I think the truck looks great.....well done
Seeing HDX and the other fellows hauling wood yesterday made me jealous. Now obviously I don't have my own full size off-highway truck so I pulled out mini 115 for some experimenting. I have spent a number of hours over the last couple of months working on a "scale sized" play area for my RC equipment. I have ran pretty much every model on it already but had yet to haul any logs. I wasn't sure how it would go as the truck, trailer and load exceed 120lbs but everything went pretty good. I just need to learn how to drive! I even have a berry for on top.lol Videos are coming.
Looks fricken awesome....Altho I am currently up to my eyeballs building vintage Mustangs for people I will put my brain back into mode to figure out how to build a scale (authentic looking) aluminum I beam frame..The P-16 will happen...would have to do a HDX as well..... Nice camera work..
Thanks twice Cory. I hope to have a complete set one day myself. If making the rear axles weren't such a pain I would already be on it! [video=youtube_share;vBLDQ_PyfrI]http://youtu.be/vBLDQ_PyfrI[/video]
I short a few of these short videos... [video=youtube_share;hAbzrzXLSR0]http://youtu.be/hAbzrzXLSR0[/video]
[video=youtube_share;Zou39Hi0ino]http://youtu.be/Zou39Hi0ino[/video] I'll bore you guys with the others in the morning. Thanks for looking! Reg
The head engineer(part owner at work)(I am currently on lay off) is a out of the box thinker like I am and enjoys my projects.I also enjoy building his creations...He will help me figure out the frame as Its a very important detail... I have a water jet at work as well as a cnc boring mill that may come into play... A few years ago we built a 6x6 hyd driven full suspension(independent) hunting buggy...He engineered it and I built it...Currently has a wood dash that really sucks but I will make a aluminum one for it..Main power is a V twin honda How hard can a frame be (har har) Nice videos
Hey that's a cool rig! Building the frame is the easy part of a scale truck build. Lots of flat pieces at right angles isn't a problem. Shaping a metal body and manually machining working axles from a block of aluminum is the challenge. Obviously it isn't impossible as I was able to do it and I'm no expert. You have access to tools and knowledge that I don't so it should be a breeze! I wish you would hurry up and get on with it though as I need another modeler to play with...
I, along with many others just sit back in awe. You guys are a true inspiration!!!
Good Morning.....my plan is to machine each frame rail into shape(water jet basic shape) out of solid aluminum or machine to correct size then split the ends and weld like the originals.... I'll have to dig up a I-beam frame drawing..
A drawing would be sweet! For me not having any CNC equipment, it would be much easier to make the frame out of plate and weld it together like I did on the KW. The machined rails you are planning would be awesome though and very strong. One day I hope to have a CNC mill and of course learn how to use it! For now I just crank handles and eyeball stuff.lol
I should be able to come up with a P-16 frame drawing...one pc I-beam rails would be nice.......I'll figure it out
Back on topic... Well not really but at least it's a pretend KW... A bit of a mini update. I've never worked with copper sheet before but it seems to be fairly easy when compared to TIG welding thin aluminum. I am hoping to make the shutters function but we'll see how that goes when the time comes.
Nice work! Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with copper to build the finer details on the model? I am considering building a model ship in brass but maybe copper is easier an easier medium to model with... I've also sent you a PM...
Thanks very much! No real reason other than it was available hidden in a corner of my parents shop. I believe it was/is actually copper sheet used for making commercial fishing lures. I don't know if that makes it any different grade wise than other copper sheet? Brass is certainly the normal go to for most model builders that use metal. Most of the guys I see in the model truck world use styrene but I'm not a plastic kinda guy and using aluminum makes what I do a bit unique. Normally I use aluminum for everything but I knew I would really struggle trying to weld this stuff together so that's why I tried the copper. It really is much easier to work with for this type of thing and brass would be the same I'm sure. I will PM tonight. Need to down lunch and get back in the shop. Lots of things on the go!lol Reg
Can anyone help me out? Post 36 on page 3 has picture of KW with loaded pup . I need a large picture of this and a description of where it is. My neighbor,Michael Dean is wanting to do a painting of this unit for the next truck show. Can anyone help? Thanks
You probably already know, Contract Logger now goes by the handle 'Rusty Grapple'. He is on Facebook with that same handle. You can also contact him through his website, Rustygrapple.com. If anyone can help, it would probably be him.
I shall give it a try,thanks
Contract logger your PM box is full and I need to send you a message.
I believe his email address is [email protected] . You can also send him a message through his website.
Blk Prince That was a Menzies Bay Division (M&B) truck Her unit number was H179 Had a V12 Cummins engine Kenworth "DART" rear diffs in her. She was put under the lowbed for a while She was eventually converted over to a V12 GM engine, Was eventually sold to Irvin Olsen and taken into a camp. Maybe 1931 Kenworth can step in and give some more details as to specs. I will see what else we can come up with about her I am sure BTC has some stuff on her also. I will phone Danny Brown and confirm OK
HDX,I knew you and the others would come through. Michael will be pleased. Thanks
OK I talked to Dan Brown from Menzies Bay, He gave me the skinny on H179. She went new to Menzies Bay in 1971. Driver was Vern Clements. Came with a 16V71 GM engine BD121 rear diffs 60-61 Allison Went into Iron River to haul new Her nick name was "BIG SMOKE" Was thinking of another truck up in that area with the DART Diffs but there it is and what she was Blk Prince PM me and I will give you a number for Michael where he might get a few pics to use for his project
Could not let this one go!!!! Got some people involved and here is the last final true story of "OLD SMOKIE" This came right from 1931 KW archives He finally found it H179 new June 1969 Model 849 RFD Rigid Frame DART S/N 84843 FU 900 steering axle REAR AXLES were DART model 301-120,000 rated 1520-1 ratio 113 inch track 20X9 brake shoes 14:00X25 tires Allison DP8961 Transmission V12 Cummins Truck was painted Red and White with the top of the hood green Came with no engine hood side panels Cab&Chassis weight was 60,860 lbs. So that is that!!! It was her
Talked to Ray Melissa and he said there was a picture of her taken a while back in the M&B red and white thread Posting #133 still has H179 on the door
I'm a looking! The steer tires look as they can still haul wood,drive tires are well worn. Looks like they still holding air.
I took pictures at Irvin Olson's boneyard back in 2006. H179 was among the trucks there. http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/edwin_robbins/2006/july/100_3271.jpg
Who would ever think a nice guy down in Cannon County would come up with pictures of our rare trucks. Thanks Ed for posting them. We have a few guys right now on the case and are going to try and get current pics. Wonder if she still has the "Happy Face Michelins" on her There was a complete set on in your pictures. Hi to Brenda and sunshine
I've fallen off the beaten path with this project a bit. I have decided that I won't be painting this truck in order to show that the body is all hand crafted metal. Since this is the route I am taking it will be a "custom" truck instead of a tribute like I would normally build. I haven't decided if it is a mistake to do this or not but I guess it could always be painted later on down the road.
RCP57,well Reg awesome! Very well done. Is there a difference in weight of this unit compared to your other beauties?
Thanks Ian! It will be much the same as my HD. Both trucks share the same type of "kit" chassis and have metal bodies. I just wanted to show off the fact that all of my hand built trucks have been made using metal instead of styrene like most guys use.
Beautiful work, Reg! The different metals used makes a nice accent. (Loved the vid and pics you posted of your "haul road") DB
Reg Your truck looks great, and Though it would look good painted, I understand why you are leaving it, for now. It really jumps out at you with the different metals. You certainly do first rate work. I hope one day I can catch one of the logging shows and see them firsthand.
I like the no paint idea and seeing how much work you put into your models. You are a true craftsman, extraordinaire!
HDX,the engine in the H-179,what colour would that be. Saw the painting Michael has started. He asked about engine,I said it would be Tan. Can you answer on that?
Cummins "Old Gold" was an off yellow. The tan came in later.
Thanks for all of the compliments on my toy KW. Here's another update from the last week or so. Hopefully all of the fab work will be finished by the ATHS show. It won't have all of the electronic goodies for a while yet but I might be able to drive it around! The sky is filled with smoke here today so it is very strange looking outside. Oddly enough it makes the trucks photograph really well. [video=youtube_share;KHGMGn7MGfU]http://youtu.be/KHGMGn7MGfU[/video]
Reg, The only way that truck would not look good would be a picture at night with no flash. I think you have out done yourself this time. What a beauty!
Since it's pretty quiet around here... Trying to work some kinks out of the hitch. It didn't have enough travel so I lengthened it out a bit and then it would get stuck! I took it all apart and welded the extension on(was bolted). Once welded I machined it smooth. I think it will work now but I have to wait for the paint to dry before trying it again. [video=youtube;RbBnTXciZfQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbBnTXciZfQ[/video]
Haha, Thanks Jumbo. I'm sure somewhere, someone has a mini grease gun that actually works. I think that is a little beyond my skill set though. I was also working on this yesterday. I ended up installing a water tank for now because it's so dry. We used it to water our road at the Duncan show and it worked ok but didn't really pump enough water out. I managed to find a different pump and with a few modifications got it installed and working. It wets the road down well now and doesn't take very long to pump out it's capacity of nearly 6 liters. [video=youtube;-KpqLVIUVUc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KpqLVIUVUc[/video]
another one.... [video=youtube;UK7J_bEkwdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK7J_bEkwdM[/video]
Both trucks look spectacular Reg! Do you have to put oil or grease on the compensator?
I have grease on it. Originally I had a light spring on the backside that helped keep it pulled in. When I added the extra length, I changed to a shorter spring which wasn't really helping any. Last night after I welded the extension on I was able to change things a little so that I could use the longer spring again and I also beveled the end slightly. I am hopeful that it will be just enough to help the compensator slide back in when straightening the truck out. I am just about to reinstall it for testing. Fingers crossed that it works properly and doesn't hang up .
Seems to be working now. [video=youtube;DqqHnM7A4Xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqqHnM7A4Xs[/video]
That's spectacular!
A couple for all you Kenworth fans.
Holy crap, for a carcass that's awfully clean looking, what a shame.
Close up of stripped Kenworth frame. Credit to PacificEd for sharing Pictures. Pics were taken near Campbell River 2006.
More close up of stripped Kenworth frame
More close up of stripped Kenworth frame
Last close up pics of stripped Kenworth frame
Some KW off highway trucks on Vancouver Island, Summer 2014
The recent info about the last P16's built and where they went has got me wondering if anyone knows when the last 850 was built? I thought I read somewhere that it was around the same time as the last Pacific(89ish) but I could be wrong?
OK - dumb question. Why does an apparently good truck get stripped down to cab and frame and maybe frame only. Obviously could be a blown engine, or tranny and too much cost -vs- value of truck. Or maybe not enough logs to justify using an off road truck, or the haul will only utilize highway trucks and so on. But, is there essentially no market for these trucks, or just too old, cracked frames and so on??
Has anyone EVER seen a contraption like this tacked on to the side of a truck cab? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...352.1073741828.100006455537678&type=3&theater Tried to insert it as an image, but could not.
hope this works... Is this the truck?
Well, I am sure that there could be many reasons, but I suspect that the stripped ones are organ donors to keep the runners running. The older they get the harder it is to source parts, so cannibalism becomes the order of the day. I have a yard full of stripped Volvo A-35's that keep those with life left in them running. In a good economy, parts are bought, but when times are tough, like the 7 years following 2008, if a truck parked for long, it was soon missing parts to keep others going. Then they pass the point of no return where it would be too much money in parts all at one time to rebuild it, so it gets picked to a bare frame and then cut for scrap.
That's it. Thanks. Anyone seen a truck set up like this, or know anything about this contraption?
I'm not sure I see what you're asking about? Are you referring to the water tank?
Contraption Behind Cab. I am certainly not an expert on heavy trucks, but many of the old off highway trucks had a hydraulic (water) retarder. They needed a large water tank for the retarder so they put a large tank behind the cab. If you look closely you can see the tank goes to the other side of the cab....got to hold several hundred gallons. By the way that is a beautiful load of Redwood logs. That's got to be at least 20' high. The loader operator is a real artist. I don't see any wrappers....there has to be. On a load like that with stubby (Seattle?) stakes you'd want at least two maybe three gut wrappers.....Man do I miss the old growth....that 1st truck is a Pete......second a Mack? The feller there getting a crick in his neck is that a scale stick in his hand? Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Hi if you look really hard there are 4 wrappers on it, 2 for each top log. Thanks Doug.
First truck is a KW. Follow the Facebook link above and grab a magnifying glass.
You are close with the water tank but .The water from the tank runs onto the brake drums to cool them not into a retarder. Never have heard of a water cooled retarder on any off the trucks that I have driven
075,just heard of Jim's passing.Pretty sad
It was quite a shock to all of us no one expected it. He will be missed, quite the character and very entertaining
Boulder Bill , Mars Logging , Franklin River Div. 1st picture 850-Kenworth on Kildonan M/L . 2nd picture 1974 850 Kenworth on Franklin River M/L.
Boulder Bill , R.G.Daines 848 Kenworth at Kitimat B.C. 4th picture is an 849 K/W .
Boulder Bill
Thanks, Boulder Bill and Camptramp.
They are both Kenworth's ! happy spring
Hi Well I was reading this post and worked at kenworth for 26 years and I heard of some trial like this. I have a friend who worked in a old camp here on Vancouver island who is 85 and remembers this set up in the 50's it was a water retarder on the driveline that was tried by kenworth and also Hayes I believe for about 1 year maybe it was before 1956 as that is when Canadian kenworth started in BC and I have no records of any water retarders so far. But I think kenworth tried it for a year maybe before 1956 and it didn't work too well got too hot but they kept increasing the size of tank. I contacted my kenworth buddy Jim Falconer and he had an article on the water retarder so I will post it shortly.If I can get it on the site not too good at it. Just remember all truck manufacturers where trying to be the first but this one didn't fly. Will look thru my info and see if I can find this water tank on any kenworth in 1956.
Jeet Sangara , Roy Saunder & Sons , Kenworths that were parked at Duke Point .
Water Retarder These trucks were part of a fleet that Joe J. Rossi Co had for off highway log hauling out of Fort Bragg, Ca. They were a contractor for Georgia Pacific which had a large mill and oodles of acres of timberland. GP ended up buying the off hwy trucks from Rossi and they became company trucks. They had a water retarder.....hence the large tank. If you Google Joe J. Rossi you should get the same story I found. Interesting reading.
Jeet Sangara .
This pic has been floating around on facebook. I think it's a Kenworth, all kinds of speculation, but the headlights tell me. My question: Is this pic real? It sure looks legit, although I don't know how you would turn a corner without tipping over.
That's a legit picture all right, the truck was owned by Rayonier and it looks like the picture might have been taken on Cluxewe main near Port McNeill BC. 075 would know more I suspect.
Hi, just signed up after reading this entire thread. It started out as a post on FB, in which I found a pic of an old twinsteer, advertised for sale as a 71 C500b, with a 5 digit s/n... Good lookin old bed truck --sorta. A couple of comments from some friends got me curious. I'm on holidays, so, asked a co-worker to look up the serial, tell me what it started as. It was 85751c, Vancouver built unit, Consolidated Bathurst, apparently. It started life as an LW848, 12v71n65, FL901, Clark 71's, KWC susp, 1263/9411c. Still has the 12v71 and that is nearly about it, as far as original goes. It does still have an A model cab, does not appear to be original 1971 style doors, they had the turndown handles. Looks as though it now has BD91, still a 6 & 4 (probably a 1241 instead of a 9411), and it appears to have at least one drive steer axle in it now I like puzzle trucks like this one, it is amazing how much work people have done to some of these old girls, especially when they want to build a bed truck out of one. I know of lots of various components that came from the Island and Wash to build bed trucks with around here. I've shipped some of them overseas, old 4640's, Clark's as well. Thought you may find it interesting as to what happens to some of these units in their old age.
And for some ID help on some of them, there are drawings available, not free, but the facepages will help as well. Have a look at this site, there are other makes there as well; https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/trucks/kenworth/
oldie Here is an old KW, not sure what model it is, never seen one like it before, looks to be fairly heavy duty for it's time. And welcome to the site Dave. by any chance do you work at Kenworth in Calgary?
We got a tiny bit of snow early this morning and I missed playing in it a week ago so I was outside at daylight making tracks. Merry Christmas everybody! [video=youtube;iTYNIZbl-Pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYNIZbl-Pw[/video]
Well Reg. First of all I am jealous. Next you are having fun and you deserve it. Merry Xmas,Bp
Merry Christmas, Reg! You have a set of chains so you can run all winter Guess you can just clear with the crawler.... Thanks for the vid. DB
Quite realistic with even a pot hole or two. Guess the blade man missed them the night before. You sure do a great job building them, Reg!
Merry Christmas Ian! No need to be jealous, come on down and grab a remote! I have a few and can only use one at a time. Merry Christmas to you too DB! Maybe we'll see you in Duncan again next year? No need to clear snow here today. Need to build a scale Pioneer water pump instead.lol I watched the video back and realized that I drove right over a big rock! It makes sense as it was the only one sticking up on the ENTIRE driveway.lol I see you're currently warming your buns in sunny Florida so that's good Jim. Maybe you'll make it out this way in 17? Seems like the numbers might line up... Reg
Boulder Bill .
Someone told me recently that "Boar Logging" had the last KW 850 ever built and that it was actually put together back east after the Burnaby plant shut. Anyone know if there is truth to that?
Looking for Info on this truck The company I work for acquired this Kenworth that had been converted to a watertruck. We are all curious to know any history on this truck. We think it came from the Cowichan Lake area, but are not sure. It has been kept the BCFP colours. The truck's number were under old paint --found this picture through the number of the truck, but don't know any history. I think the number is 6-276 - maybe. TIA ~mistx
The last new or other wise "Off Highway" logging truck purchased at BCFP Renfrew or Caycuse Division's , was the #6-264 a P 16 Pacific Preloader in May or June 1980 for Renfrew Div.. The next new logging trucks purchased for Renfrew Div. were the #6-280 , #6-281 , #6-282 , #6-283 , #6-284 P510s Pacific highway logging trucks in 1986 . The #6-253 HDX Hayes and #6-257 a P 16 Pacific was moved from Silver River to Renfrew Div. in fall 1982 . Around the same time the #6-258 a P 16 Pacific was moved to Caycuse Div . from Silver River , also the #6-245 and #6-246 HDX Hayes were moved from Malibu to Caycuse Div. . That's the first 849 or 850 Kenworth I've seen painted BCFP colors , I don't know for sure , but I suspect the Elk River Timber Division of BCFP ( which was purchased by BCFP in the late 1970's or early 1980's ) had Kenworth Off Highway logging trucks .
Boulder Bill , WFP North Island Forest Operation . A couple of Off Highway Kenworth' s not sure who owns them .
The chunk trucks belong to Vic Lamontane . He has sold one, not sure if he got rid of the other one or not when he retired last year. And the Kenworth looks like Western one. 2119 or 2129 depending on how long ago this picture was taken
Boulder Bill , WFP North Island , I'm not sure if these 2 pictures are of the same 849 Kenworth pulling a Lowbed or not !
Boulder Bill Lemare Lake Logging North Island , #322 850 Kenworth pulling Lowbed on Beaver Cove Rd.
Boulder Bill WFP North Island 850 Kenworth with Lowbed hooked to it in Port McNeill yard .
Boulder Bill , WFP North Island . 850 Kenworths in Port McNeill Yard .
Boulder Bill , WFP , North Island 1st picture loaded 850 K/W in Port McNeill yard 2nd & 3rd Picture empty 850 K/W on Rupert Arm M/L . 4th picture loaded 850 K/W on Rupert Arm M/L . I can get to Image , but I don't know what computer want's at IRL to post pictures ? I liked old format .
I'll try to post pictures to go with post 859
I think you will find that this truck is 6-278 which was ERT #28 purchased in 1977 or 78 It had a 12v-71 n and a 6061 Allison with 91000 100 inch clarks. It was driven by a fine gentleman named Jake Derksen until his retirement
6-110,looks like new post. Welcome. Are you like your handle,very rare?
WFP , North Island , 850 K/W Water Truck
This truck and ERT #27 which was driven by Tom Masters until retirement were purchased without trailers.They got trailers that were 50 ton sprung trailers which were part of the hayes pup trailers bought in the late 60s and used to pull pups up to 64 miles from the Ucona to the dump into the early 70sThe trailer on ERT#26 or 6-276 was also one half of a pup trailer.The remaining half of the pup trailers was put behind ERT#20 an 849RF The old trailer off of #20 was then put behind #21 which then got a funnel and could accept the reach on the old #20 reach.Previously #21 had been Tom Masters truck since 1965 and as he was our forman he did not pull pups and #21 had no funnel on end of the reach and had a pintle hitch on the truck
Blk I drove at ERT from 73 -80 and found it a wounderful place to work I drove one the HDs with a 110er and loved it. I talked to Steve a lot and found I was enjoying hearing about the past and present
Thanks guys. I was pretty sure I'd get some info on this site. Here she is in her 'retirement'. As I said before, the company colours were kept even though she is now a water truck. I am fairly new to the forum, but am enjoying it all.
Boulder Bill , Ex M&B 850 Kenworth at Campbell River Industrial Park .
Ex M+B Kelsey Bay Division truck H-35, Now owned by Tsibass Contracting and still hauling logs if I'm not mistaken
I work with a guy, runs our tool crib, who drove for Borers. Remembers when they got rid of 849s and went to 850, 4 I believe, and started work at Doc creek on the coast. I have A couple other friends who worked for them also. Ill do some digging. Let ya know
Boulder Bill , 850 Kenworth parked at Kenworth's old Nanaimo Lot .
Boulder Bill .
Wrong scale but...
Looks great..A nice little winter time Kenworth photo shoot...
What a great build you did looks first class.
Looks like the grader got out there early enough so tire chains were not needed. Otherwise you would have been madly working in the fab getting a set made…. Looks good!
Thanks very much guys. We haven't really had much snow here since I got into building this stuff so yesterday I had almost everything out on test runs.lol
Boulder Bill , Not sure , but I think its a Kenworth in what apears to Lemare Lake colours .
Boulder Bill , North Island .
Boulder Bill , Not sure when or where this picture was taken .
It was surprisingly sunny here yesterday and I needed to get out of the shop for a bit so I did a little "load" testing with the mini 850.
Here's a little more. I need to add more weight to the front. She's pulling so hard that it wants to wheelie and then it won't steer properly. All together this is over 150lbs with truck, trailer and logs. Not bad for a toy.
Looks so realistic though the black pusher looks like a puppy. Funny to watch the puppy bark at the truck on the clear span bridge.
Yeah he's a character for sure Jim. I think we should send him down to the Baja 1000 since he was really enjoying digging booby traps into the road surface. I'd rake it flat and he'd dig a hole.lol He became a little too cocky after a while and started trying to bite the exhaust on my smaller KW so that was the end of the fun. Can't really blame the pup though as I was charging him up by blowing the horn at him.lol Good times!
looks like a mars 850
post #877 It is an ex - Mars Contracting Kenworth that was owned by Glen Jacobsen when these pictures were taken.
Boulder Bill . Lemare Lake Logging .
Boulder Bill . Lemare Lake Logging .
The HDX looks like an ex QCI truck.
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
That's pretty cool! Do you build those from scratch? I've seen the RC truck kits from Tamiya but they are no where near as cool as that. I want to try and build an RC version of my W900A.
Boulder Bill .
Thanks! Yes, this one is all scratch built from aluminum except for the tires and gears in the axles. This truck is also fairly large in 1/10 scale. The Tamiya trucks are 1/14 so they are much smaller. Tamiya makes a great generic truck though and they can be modified into almost anything you want with some work. I have built a few trucks now using some Tamiya chassis components and hand made aluminum bodies. If you are interested in building a W900A but don't want to tackle it completely from scratch check out Shapeways. They are a 3D printing outfit that people upload and share files to. Their prints are not cheap but I know of a few guys that have used the cabs to create trucks that weren't previously available(various KW, Mack, ect) prior to 3D printing. The KW with the water tank and the two Hayes HD's use Tamiya or Tamiya scale running gear. The HD on the workbench only uses Tamiya axles. The rest of the chassis, suspension and body is all hand made.
So is the aluminum just glued together? or is it welded/brazed?
Minor details may be glued but only if they are purely cosmetic. The rest is TIG welded together then ground, sanded or filed for the desired look.
Nice! I would have to draw the line at welding. Apartment living sucks lol.
Oh, well that's probably a good idea.
Boulder Bill .
Boulder Bill .
First two pictures are Jim Falconers Kenworth Dump truck He gave it to Ron Roth and Ron replaced the engine and now uses truck around his property. Third picture is an Ex M&B Kelsey Bay Division truck. Was made into a ramp truck there, Then transferred to M&B Northwest Bay Division. Mostly sat there till it was sent to first R/B Auction in Chemainus. Sold to these guys, then resold again Finally went to Campbell River where it was sitting last time I saw her. Funny thing was at one time she was sold for as little as 11 thousand dollars, Might have been at the R/B auction
Boulder Bill , Pacific Logging , Sooke Div.
Boulder Bill . 1st picture Alltruck Campbell River . 2nd picture Jack Mckay Trucking Port Albernie .
Boulder Bill (Gordy Isacson) Malloch Collection . Malloch & Moseley Muir Cr.
Boulder Bill (Gordy Isacson) Malloch Collection . Malloch & Moseley , Muir Cr.
This last photo, the truck with the "M" on the rad shutters, was in an add for Kenworth years ago, as a kid I had cut it out of the truck logger magazine and put it in my scrap book, would have been around 1966-67. Always wondered if I would see it again.
I have a question about the 848's. Does the frame width change with trucks running planetary axles? I read earlier in this thread that the frames were 34" wide. Also what pound front axle did they run with planetary rear axles? I found an 848 out on the desert and was curious about it. This one has a small cam Cummins and whats left of a coal dump bed I guess. The kids got to the windows and the gauges. Other than that it is in decent shape. Sorry about the picture quality. It was my old phone and the camera was poor.
I'm looking for one of these somewhere close as I would like to make a road change and lay out truck out of one.
second this post thanks
Hauled ballast with that old blue gal, at Mooyah 14 years ago. Had a mouse living in the headliner!
Brought the old girl out of retirement to makes some moves while the 850 had some work done. 1969 849 V12 Natural ,Clark trans , under slung springs and 91000 diffs
075,is this your original machine or the one that you got from Gold River? Last year was it not?
075 You sure do know how to start a long weekend for us
Wow! Mooyah haven't heard that name in years. We lived in Mooyah bay in the mid to late 60s . Our dog was named Mooyah. I remember getting in trouble for playing on the flat booms. My sister has some super8 films of the log barges loading up in the bay . Thanks for jogging my memory Hoeguy .
Its the one from Gold River I have had Four different once since 1988
It was a lawn ornament near my road heading for months before you got it!
Hey, that's the old truck that my dad and I used to own ! We had that truck in 83 at Camp A in Nimpkish hauling for Canfor ! John Foster bought it and still owns and it is still working today. I passed it on the Nimpkish main last year when I was working for HDLogging, it was pretty cool to see it again and to have a BS with the driver. Thank you for posting camptramp And yes it is the same truck
AL lundgren A picture of Tod Palisor's V8 Cummins powered 848 Kenworth with Hillcrest Lumbers Lowbed in Lake Cowichan's 1867 - 1967 Centennial Parade .
There is one by my house that I want to check out, I will see what I can do...
Thanks Pac!
Thompson Sound, Dystant Trucking, unit 37, February 2019
WANT!!
Other than all of that white stuff, nice photos
I don’t want to arm wrestle The feller that threw those wrappers !!!
I was taught let the machine do the work when possible
Seen this one this winter, still surviving
KW850 just went a total update - 330.000 Can dollars
Kim, is this an ex Dennis Dystant truck?
Its good to see a fat truck still hauling logs . Brings back old memories of keeping them going from a shop guy.
Ain't that the truth
Hi Ed, I am not sure. It belongs to Alpine Logging now. Picture was taken in Campbell River. I went to see Dennis Dystant shop but sadly it seems it was shut down. I went one night to Port McNeill to find the Autocar but did not found it. So I have to go back and find my old pictures of her when I get back to Denmark. At present time I am in Sechelt. In a day or 2 I will go to Stillwater to look for the Big OFF highway trucks.
I pretty sure that truck is an ex WD.Moore truck out of Winter Harbour
These remind me of when I was a kid and saw all the big Kenworths hauling down into the Saint Regis and Murray Pacific sort yards. What a time was to be a kid.
2 dump trucks in Port Alberni
Those look like ex A.S.A trucks from Sayward.
Yes I think you are right. The Hayes was missing.
Coulson truck for sale
848 I think - pics taken in Sechelt
An old KW used as water truck - short wb - truck is from early 60s I guess as it Got the old cab
849 or 850 with lowbed
Another KW with lowbed
#14 and its sister #12 are 1970 849 RF, have been refitted over the years, silver 71, top mount rear springs, only trucks that Andy bought new except for a 850 glider years later as far as big trucks. #18 is an old Bulkley valley truck.
Thanks for great information. Does Andy run a fleet of offhighway logging trucks at present time? I did not see any except for #14 and #18. There is not much left of #12.
Unit #12
Last I heard was Andy is all done, there maybe someone else that has come in and picked up the pieces that were left.
Sad to hear. You Can properly regonize where I took pictures of the KW with lowbed. I did not enter that place and I could not see anything cause of heavy vegetation. Gate to Kip Browns place was closed so I have visit that site next time.
Another Olympic Forrest truck
Let me know when you are planning to coming back over and I'll meet up with you and show you some spots (as long as the scrappers haven't been in there)
Greatwestcam, thank you for your nice offer and I will make use of it next time I come to Powell River
Infinity west bought that truck. Around 2011 went to Queen charlotte islands. Pulled the loader off turned it into a conventional. It’s now sitting back on van island. Forrest tech yard I believe
Great thread btw. Enjoying it. Here’s a kenworth 850 serial number 85777 wondering if kenworth 1931 has any info in it. Truck has the rigged frame and 4640 rear ends. 1200r24 tires
Here it is
Hi there was Wondering what you could tell me about a kenworth 850 serial #85777 Thanks a lot !
Hi I will have a look and see if I can find it Larry
Yes it is still parked at Forestech as I saw(at Forestec website) it behind a 1983 Madill 044 swing yarder. Yarder is for sale and it is an old M&B unit #Y17. I took some pictures of the Kenworth - I will them post later.
What would it cost me to buy a nice 8:49 or 8:50 truck? When I say nice I mean something with solid underpinnings but needs it cosmetic makeover possibly as I want to build one up as a lowbed tractor to pull our yarders around. We have to get oversize permits for them anyway so might as well use the biggest truck I can to move them.
Kenworth at ForesTech near Campbell River Summer 2019
This is on forestech website for sale
Hallback Just remembered that in the Pacific trucks page 80, topic 1596, is a Pacific 512. Wondering if this could work for you I had more pictures just trying t find. Might go great with your company name... Pacific logging???
Nice finds guys!!
I'm sure this truck is probably in here somewhere, but Heavy Haulage Co from Kelso WA : 1974 850 with 12v71 and Allison, tractor weight is 65,000lb and will do 35mph. Has been relatively trouble free for them. Log trailer (Pacific?) is still in the yard. Axles are 12' wide. Truck did come off the Island according to John (grandson of company founder?) - he shot the crap with me for like 2 hours, great guy. They have another 850 but lost the motor in it recently - looking for a C18. They had a 848 as well but sold it to a customer. Amazing to see these things in person, absolutely HUGE! And these guys are still using it regularly; was hauling 12' diameter 1" wall bridge pier piling most recently. Still moves yarders with this truck as well for local loggers too.
I'm sneaking some C500 pictures in and other KWs since I made my 850 contribution Heavy Haulage Co again with this 1991 C500, 18 speed, C15 Cat, will do 25 mph and currently hooked up to their 200 ton lowboy. Chilton Logging of Woodland WA, beautiful C500 with an ISX Cummins in it. Newer truck, really sharp. B&M Logging of Chehalis WA with their C500 and 9 axle lowboy set up McPaul Cat and Crane of Chehalis also had a black and yellow 1980 Kenworth C500 that they sold about a year ago to someone in Oregon. Sad I missed it but I know that truck is on this forum somewhere - came out of Alaska with a sister truck and was converted to a road tractor (other truck is black and orange)
A-1 Timber of Chehalis, C500 tractor Dahlgren Logging, Forks WA C500A rock truck with 8v71
Former Prairie Wood Products (Prairie City OR) W923 or W924 chip truck with a 1693 Cat in it, some humorous steps and a short driver? Seems like midnight shop special but fits the bill for an abandoned mill.
Chip truck steps
Dahlgren Logging ex Weyerhaeuser W923 fire truck Hermann Brother, Port Angeles WA, all wheel drive T800 chip trucks - cool set up. They had a AWD Peterbilt as well and a nice T800W That's all I've got without diving too far into the conventional highway trucks … definitely need to get over to the Island when the border opens up again to really see the 848 - 849 - 850, etc off highway rigs. They really are next level.
The McPaul truck is now owned by Wayne Stone of Sandy Oregon. It will be in top-notch shape again in no time. Thanks for sharing all the photos, it's good to see all the trucks from my local area featured.
Sweet! Glad to hear she's getting a little TLC, hope to see it sometime! I also got to see a C500 from Mason Trucking of Aberdeen while fueling up, the baby blue ones, but no photo. Still on the list to stop by.
Mason moves us,when I can't move everything quick enough. They moved one of our shovels Friday
Hi Guys New member here. I was at a farm here in northern Ontario, Canada looking at an old Kenworth K100 with a log loader. I found what I believe to be a Kenworth 849. Which I was surprised to see it here on a farm. I hate to see it languish in a field waiting for the scrappers. It's not complete and the owner(in his 80's) doesn't remember where he got it. It's a rolling frame and cab. The front tires are like new looking BF Goodrich Silverstones. No engine or tranny, fenders are there but sadly someone cut out the headlight buckets. Hood, grill, front bumper are all gone. Is it worth dragging home? Can the missing parts be found anymore? The hood maybe on the property but MIA for now. I'm a sucker for old iron.
The cab and doors did seem pretty good.
Photos are worth a thousand words.
Just didn't have time to post them earlier.
A few more including the K100 and an old White cabover.
More pics.
.
Still makes me mad someone torched the fenders. Is the cab early 60's?
So from what I've read. It's likely and early 60's HD cab 849. Looking at the pics, I see the shifter is still there so it may still have a transmission. I think the hood is gone. Repowering it wouldn't be the issue. Finding replacements for the missing parts is my concern. Especially being in the middle of Canada. If it was the West coast, I'd likely find the pieces needed. The fenders could probaly be saved. But how hard would the hood, rad, etc be to locate and prices?
No opinions or advice???
If you have enough passion and ambition Anything is Possible. Personally I would keep walking past it unless you were going to use it for yard art.
The problem with yard art is the wife, it just won't look right setting among her gladiolas.
just remove the Gladiolas then she wouldn't have that problem!
looks to be a 848 Kenworth
Ehhhhh tough call. Some meat left on it, but its definitely a project. Hope you can weld, turn a wrench, and be a sheet metal god. My only thought would be trying to find an old C500 with a butterfly hood as a donor truck and if you're lucky the the engine / trans goes in easy, butterfly hood gets widened (forget the covers) / blended into the new truck. Recycle the radiator, etc. Torch the headlights off the 5 and weld em in or whatever is easiest. Might find a decent deal on a vintage bed / winch / rig truck closer than BC Old truck, lots of steel to weld and modify - just like the Hayes, Pacifics, Macks, etc. Just depends what you're after in terms of authenticity or aesthetics. As far as finding genuine 848/49/50 replacements, I would say rare unless you head to the Coast and hunt around with a pocket full of cash, even then....
Lol. I have a great wife and I have a continually growing collection of yard art. I actuallly just bought three Mack B series tandems to save them from the scrapper. Two diesels and a gasser. One is suppose to be a rare B87. Also picked up 4 International R210(Red Diamonds) tandems(one with a real nice dump box and hoist) and a R190 single axle. I might grab the Kenworth K100 with the log loader in the pics. The 1960ish White cabover in the pics has a Cummins 250 and a Road Ranger RT- 910 tranny. I have a line on a free KW924 with a 8V71 that is missing the rear diffs I could use for the engine and maybe tranny for the 848/849. If I got the 848/849, it likely would be for free of very close to that. The farm is literally a 10 minute country road drive so I likely wouldn't even have to pay to haul it. Just use a loader or rig and the cost of fuel. The big question for me is whether the missing body parts can be found?? My other concern is what the truck would weigh in it's current state? We'd have to cross a single lane country bridge and I'm concerned about the weight of the truck and a loader towing it. Lastly, what would distinguish it as being an 848 and not a 849?
All the pics I find show it has 849 fenders, not 848. Again, I'm a newbie to these trucks. But I thought the 848's had the headlights in the front bumper?? I was talking with a diesel mechanic buddy of mine today and he said there is another one locally further north, used for snow plowing highways that is a 6x6.
I figured it was an early 60's 849 based on the small window cab and the fenders. I'm going back in a few days to clean the data plate on the dash and find out for sure. I get some more pics. Anyone want pics of anything specific? What do you guys estimate current weight at if it does still have the tranny? 20-25tons?
Are these parts trucks and do they still exist? thanks.
I'm not an expert on Kenworth's , but it looks to have a "Spring Steel Frame" 849 / 850 would have an "I Beam Frame" . The engine bonnet is not off set to the cab . And the rear hubs are not " Planatarie's " .
Thanks Camptramp. The only issue I have is that most of the 848's I've seen have different fenders with the headlights on the bumper. I've also seen many pics labelled as 849's with non planatery diffs and rims like this one. I tried cleaning the data tag with my hand when I took the pics but it had a film I couldn't get off in the time I had. I'm going to try and go back, clean it off and get the model and serial number. I'm also going to try and measure the frame. It definately was C channel and not I beam style. Reading through the thread the last few days, I remember someone had the ability to look the serial numbers up. Are they still here. Any guesses on weight as it sits?
Well, I guess I've come to terms with the fact it's destine for the scrappers. I checked on the single lane bridge and it's rated for 10 tons. I'd have to get it towed the long way to avoid that bridge and it would get too expensive for a truck that can't be made to run again. I would have loved to bring it home for yard art. But thanks to everyone for there opinions and advice. Especially, Skadill.
Thinking this is an 848? Looks like a runner Found on Facebook for sale in Harrington WA, 3406B , $6500 Not sure if the link is visible to all or if you need an account, images attached below. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/216821602946011
I have two 849 for parts and a running 850. The way you tell them apart is from what I found out is the frame rail width on the 848 is 34” looks like that’s what yours is. And the 849 has 40” wide rails flex frame the 850 is a 15” deep rigid Manufactured C frame 40” wide and has the offset cab. I’m not sure if I’m 100% right but that’s what I noticed. I parted with a fender to a fellow here. but the One truck still has them on And the hood. I’m on the west coast bc.
Measure the frame rail outside width. The 848 is 34” 849,850 is 40 wide. Judging by your pics your looking at a 848.
Been a while but still at it, I read a post earlier that our shop was closed, we just moved, busier than ever, this is D hauling with unit 32
Beautiful truck, wrong kind of load for it look good wearing though
Art Nickerson Collection A picture of a Kenworth on a post card from Oregon .
Some good 850 footage, with some interesting commentary on West coast logging.
Great video John, thank you.
BCFP Renfrew Div. Honeymoon Bay DLS A Malloch & Mosley 850 Kenworth waiting to be unloaded .
merry christmas al.
Merry Christmas Al, wishing you & Donna the best.
Thanks for the good wishes C.C. and Darin , a Merry Christmas to you and your family's .
Malloch & Mosley empty Kenworth 850's parked at Caycuse Camp for weekend .
Gosh I want one of those to restore!
I took the picture between early 1981- mid 82 trucks have changed hands . I don't have any idea where they got to . They were really nice trucks , 3408 Cat powered in three of them .
Bill Neil driving his last Kenworth (I'm not sure if it was a 849 or 850) . This picture was taken on the Gordon River M/L , he was hauling for BCFP Renfrew Div. ( 1983-85 ) I don't know how old Bill was , but I know he was collecting his "Old Age Pension" . It wasn't long after this picture was taken that management suggested that the company drivers retired when they turned 65 , that he should put a driver on his truck . We were at the fuel pump not long after he got the word . To say he was upset would be an understatement . Bill was a very knowledgeable hard working Trucker , if he had a weak spot , it was ability to negotiate a decent rate when he contracted for Butler Brothers . R I P old friend .
Good men, miss em more & more by the day.
Old 848 from early 60s waiting for tires or?
SOW001 with load
KW 850
KW 850
Maybe an old A & Son dump truck. Canadian built KW truck
1974 848 KW bedtruck, owner Chris Dods
Old KW Mars unit #A14 with Cummins 12 cyl. I have not seen her since 2005. Nice truck with the KW steel cab.
Some facts of #A14 - I Love the old KW steel cab
I need that in my life
It says K19 on the hood now-six banger.
Old Saunders KW
Another KW Saunders truck
Another KW Saunders truck
Getting ready to get a new load - cheking oil water etc.
2 KW dump trucks I found close to Campbell River
Not logging related but a few years back there was some vintage KW stuff going on and I believe we have a member her name 31Kenworth...I had a pic of Dennis Montgomerys (32) but could not find it till tonight.It was buried away in my Diamond T stuff...This was at a truck rodeo many years ago.Dont know when Dennis bought the truck..I remember being there..I can only assume that is me as why would I have a 8x10 of this pic...Glad i found it..
Some 850’s and a C500/Brute
Just another KW dump truck - owner John Foster - I wonder what ever happend to his Hayes HD dump trucks? Original owner was Alex Falconer - very nice trucks
How about this old girl still going strong
Wahkash 8x4 KW
I've talked to one of their office guys about that Sow. It's one cool truck. If we were on the tree farm year round I would definitely have one.
Wahkash SOW with load at Beaver Cove 2022
KW Sander truck
KW850 for sale. Pics were taken Summer 2022
Are those sanders mounted just in front of the drive axles?
Hi Scott, I don’t know - they don’t look like sanders in old times. A few more of SOW
KW 850 I found again in 2022. Last time I saw her was at Hayes 90th Anniversary show in Port Alberni 2012
KW850 with lowbed
Could they be hydraulic oil tanks?
KW849 or 850
Did not know KW made a pre loader..
Looks like fuel to me on the Sow.
KW848/849 with lowbed Summer 2022
Another KW preloader
KW850
Old KW adds
Old KW logger
KW bedtruck Munns Lumber in 2005 and then in Campbell River Summer 2022
I want that bed truck! Did they mothball it?
This is a nice photo of a early L924. Hayes#1 got a photo of one that still looks in fare condition.
KW848 dump truck owner Kwatna #GT10
Short logger!
Logging trucks that were rigged up with "Preloader " rigging shortened the distance between the front bunk and trailer bunk empty at DLS before trailer could be self loaded on to the truck . That trailer is a Preload trailer shortened up to haul short logs . Look at the truck bunk , on the rear side of truck bunk is a mount for preload legs to mount on . The truck can no longer leave the trailer standing alone empty or loaded . I can't see the rest of the trailer , so I don't know if it can be "stretched out" to haul longer logs or if it is only used to haul short logs .
Pat MacMillen Photo
It could be stretched. Somewhere I have pics of her with stretched trailer.
KW850 Before and after. I wonder where Moore truck went?
Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more Transform your operations with our heavy equipment auctions! Browse through farm equipment, construction equipment, and more. ✓ Check online today! www.purplewave.com There's a 853 selling on purple wave tomorrow. It's got a beefy looking trailer with it. I think the trailer is a Pointer- Willamette, made in edmonds washington.
Truck is cat power, with I think a allison, and a 4 speed spicer box. KW was built in canada.
Used Construction, Agricultural Equip., Trucks, Trailers & more Transform your operations with our heavy equipment auctions! Browse through farm equipment, construction equipment, and more. ✓ Check online today! www.purplewave.com I think this trailer was set up for behind the big KW also. Its got 4 axles, 8 wide. And another 4 axle eight wide extension to put on it. SO - if my math is right, thats 64 tires on the trailer. They were set up to haul a load.
Not my Picture
Anybody know what that one went for at Purple Wave?
$30,800 truck and trailer. Only a bill of sale for both, no titles.
Pew--old, 1693TA, looks as though it was readied by a special effects crew for a new sequel to Duel, rough as a cob.
This truck is pulling the same trailer that in 76 was in the Pacific thread, I took pictures in Oct 2005 do not know what year the truck is.
Took this Picture in 76 or 77 Elkford BC Foarding Coal, Thought I had more.
I know this is an old post but here’s the truck as of today. Brought it in the shop and gave it a fresh coat last year.
Here’s some current day pictures of some Of the John foster trucks.
A few more.
It's nice to see these " Old Treasures " have been maintained and are still working hard . I don't know John Foster , but I take my hat off to him !
John “retired” about 14-15 years ago. He sold the company and trucks to Ivan Hall who had worked for John for some time. I’ve been here for 13 years. John still comes around every once in awhile and still lends advice on the trucks when needed!
I wouldn't mind having a big dump truck like that. How many dumps trucks does Ivan have? I see there's a Mack too.
My best wish's to Ivan Hall and crew . I hope the venture is profitable and you guy's are making a good living . Those "Old Bone Shaker's" were simple and Tough , like the times they were at their best .
Great to see one of the old Hayes HD. Does Ivan still has the other one?
A few pics I took of John Fosters trucks in 2022.
Yes we still have both.
We’ve got 4 kenworths, 2 Hayes, 1 pacific, and 8 Mack’s.
You can move a lot of material!
Any of them has Clark 121 axles , I’m interested to buy