I have never seen one of these. This tractor was just outside Flagstaff AZ about 50 miles. They have welded a homemade ripper on the front. For fear of getting shot, I didn't look under the hood but I'm suspecting a Detroit engine. Anyone know anything about these??? Thanks Joe :usa
Eimco Dozer I know nothing about these, as I only saw one other one that was setting in the woods in PA. I tried to find the owner of that one so I could buy it. I ran out of time and when I got back to Pa. the next time, the area was built to houses. I thought it was a neat looking ,machine. Also I thought the design was ahead of it's self. Look at the new track loaders and were the cab is?
By the size of the stack i would say it had something besides Detroit.Most of the Detroits that old didn't have a turbo.The machines that did have turbos usually had a large exhaust stack. At least it is still running by the shine on the tracks.It still moves on it's own.I would think if it was mine i would be saving it for an antique instead of betting it over the back. I would also think with the dozer in the front and engine on the rear that the dozer wouldn't go in the ground as good.Reason for the ripper,but sure it is has something to do with working in that rocky hard dry ground the looks of things. Nice find,thanks for sharing.:cool2:notworthy:usa
looks like a older asv skid steer
Thanks for posting those pictures. I've heard some about them but never seen a modern photo of one.
Eimco built mining equipment as I understand it.That dozer was used for a while by the military,I am meaning to say that style of dozer.There were 3 or 4 different sizes and I am pretty sure they all used Cummins engines.There are websites that give better info if you are interested.Mr Google will smarten us all up.Ron G
I found this off google!
I don't think it would push very well, big dozers need weight up front to keep the traction even.
Eimco This thread was on Ibdozing.... interesting read. http://discuss.ibdozing.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi Go to "Equipment Specifications / Characteristics", and then "Crawler with front operating position" to get to the thread. The link just takes you to the general forum.
Not sure about the model designation on this one. It looks to be about the size of a model 118, that's about a D7 size machine. I ran 118's extensively in Vietnam. They were equipped with Detroit 6V71 engines and were very loud. However, they were a well balanced and very maneuverable machine. We had some with rippers and some with winches. Never ran one that didn't have one setup or the other. Oh, some were equipped with angle dozers, others with straight blades. I preferred the straight blades myself. Visibility over the front was excellent, never really had much issue with down pressure. Operation was straight forward and simple. Two sticks between knees -- use left hand to push sticks ahead, machine moved ahead. Pull back for reverse. To turn, move stick on that side into neutral and use individual foot brake, or pull one stick into reverse to counter-rotate tracks. Right hand controlled blade or ripper/winch, right foot controlled de-accelerator. High center of gravity, did not like to work on side hills much with them. Also did not like clearing operations on steep slopes. This machine has a nice ROPS, ours did not. Late in 1968, Eimco's started showing up with Caterpillar undercarriage components. Word was that Eimco had gone belly up and the government, still being short on contract fulfillment, had commissioned someone to use Cat hardware to finish up those machines at the factory lacking undercarriages. The full story of that would make a fascinating tale I'm sure. Eimco made a smaller machine that used a Detroit 471 engine. I only ever saw one and that was at the dump in Davisville, RI. The one shown here may be what I believe was called a model 104 and it's maybe been re-powered with something other than a Detroit, or maybe a turbo has been added. I could be wrong on the models, it's been a long time. I've looked for years for more info on Eimco and the short-lived dozer contract. Never found a thing.
Surfer Joe, there's a picture and description of the "Unidrive" transmission used in the Eimco crawler in the "Moving the Earth" book (Second Edition), pages 15-18,19. On page 16-32 there's a picture of the model 105 "RockerShovel". They seem to be an pretty interesting machine. I notice the top rollers are mounted with one inboard (Cat style) and one outboard (IH style).
The one I saw in Pa. had a Detroit in it. It looked like it was factory and not something some one added. I think it was an 6v71 with the old Detroit blower on it.
Discussions about them come up occasionally on RP, I think they were generally regarded as a good machine but unorthodox. Heres a thread http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12633&hl=
I wonder if it would be light in the front end.
Hello everyone. I will be more than happy to answer all you're questions about this eimco dozer, as I work for the person who owns it. It's a model 103c. It was built in Salt Lake City, Ut in 1969. It is 100% stock with the exception of the exhaust stack. This was fabricated by the owner to hide the unsightly muffler. It came from the factory with a 4-71 detroit with a blower, not a turbo. There are no cat parts on it nor are any interchangeable to my knowledge. Transmission is a 4 speed automatic, not sure if it's a unidrive or quadratorque. It runs and works well. It does work on a regular basis and pushes about the same as a d-7 even though it is smaller. There is absolutely no problem with traction. In fact, it gets to much! It's a very well balanced machine and a pure joy to operate! If anyone has information on this machine or anything else eimco please contact me, it would be appreciated. And please send questions, all will be answered. The owner of this dozer has done exstensive research and is a wealth of information but more is always better, right!
eimco dozer I have a couple of 103mc m64 eimco dozers my grandad had one years ago when he passed it was sold. I surched for a long time to find one and finaly I did. A man who lived near us sold equipment and had 18 at one time they were military surplus the "mc's" were built for the U.S. Marines. I love to run them they are good pushing dozers they are a little rougher riding that other dozers but are easy to run. I located another machine and I am trying to get it bought so I can have one just for parts. I don't know about the "c" but most of the "mc" undercarriage will interchange with a "d6c". The "mc" has some unique features like the fan can be loosened from the drive belts with a lever at the back of the machine for fording through deep water. They came from the factory withe 6v-71's and had a shipping weight of 20.5 ton. I have a copy of the shop manual which tells everything you would ever want to know.
I also have a MC 106 (M64) SN 1033372 MFG 1966 Have had it for 8 or 9 years and it's great for the work here on the ranch. I have been looking for a manual off and during all this time but now I'm starting to have a problem. The right track won't hold tension. I fill it with grease but in about 10 minuets I have to stop and do it again. I'm sure the grease seal is leaking but ... need the procedure for doing the repair. I would love a copy of your manual and happily pay copying fees. Certainly the section on repairing the tensioning cylinders would be most appreciated.
Seabees had tons of them when I was in the service. 66 through 69. The ones we had were all Detroits. If I remember right you could reverse each track individually just by pulling back on the sticks. They were an operaters nightmare though. All the enemy had to do was aim between the lights. Fortunately I didn't run dozers in Vietnam. I drove truck mostly. Somewhere I even have an Eimco watch fob.
Here are few Eimcos in a yard in Moab, Utah. They had mutiple units resting there. A couple still had military paint. I've come across quite a few Eimco dozers in my travels through the western desert states.
I know of two Eimco tractors sitting outside a barn near Safford, AZ. Came across them this summer on my delivery route. Not much left of either one other than main frame, roller frames, tracks, and I believe one blade. Engines and transmissions are gone. I always meant to stop and take pictures, but was always in too much of a hurry. There are many other machines along that run that need to have pictures taken. Maybe later this year or next spring I will gather up the ole lady and drive up there for a day and burn a bunch of photos.
it would be balanced just fine the only difference i se is you sit in front of the engine instead of behind it
vfw hal if you break the track dowmn at the master link the n teh front idler will come out and the packing id in he back of the polish rod not to hard to repair the only trouble is the c-frame migh thave to be took loose at the trunion ball
old Marine Corps Eimco to be auction off I was doing a RBauction equipment hunt today,and came across a really nice looking Eimco dozer that to be auctioned off. It looks like it belongs to a collector in Europe.
Hi sure would like to hear from you regarding the Eimco dozer. I have one and have been using it on our ranch in Fallbrook, CA for over 10 years. Specifically looking for repair info on the track tensioners. Harold [email protected]
Thanks Ronnie. Have it out now it's leaking at the shaft seal. Taking it to a hydraulic shop as it's a welded cylender an needs to be cut open,seals replaced and re welded.Darn thing weighs a ton and the coil spring is scary. 22" long coiled 2" material in a 10" diameter circle. The spring must weigh over a hundred #. I'd post a picture but don't have priveleges yet. What a bear to remove it. Thanks Hal
i havent seen Eimeco dozers but i have seen other minig equipment made by them here in Kalgoorlie Western Australia in a few of the older underground opertions arround the area most are rail boggers (loaders) and rail truck locos one bogger and a few trucks can be seen in front of the Sanvik Mining Kalgoorlie office in west kal.
Hi All, as a retired contractor having owned and operated no less than 6 Eimcos over a long career nl 102 Cat D2 based rocker shovel, three 105 Detroit 371 powered rocker shovels and two 105 Dozers w / 6v71 Detroit . The earlier 105s had the same undercarriage as the 105 rocker shovels (later fitted with 471s) but the 6v71 was too powerful for the dozer undercarriage and this was later upgraded with Cat (D8H) undercarriage. Three of these machines are still operational with a possible rebuild of a 105 Dozer. Br Zach Bloemfontein S. Africa.
Welcome Zach A pleasure to have you here,would there be any chance of a few pictures of this modification?
my boss owns this verry eimco whatever any one wants to know about this or any other Eimco stuff hit me up that pic was taken in Ash Fork Az
I recently finished repairing a 106C, gearbox, hydraulics and left final drive was overhauled. Took a wile to do because parts are a bit of a problem. Luckely I had a workshop manual. Will upload pics as soon as my account is activated.
My machinery book says Eimco built A dozer and A loader from 52 to 65 and their "thing" was independent torque converters and powershift trans to ea track. It served well for the track loader which was primarily designed for slag removal. The 103(dozer) was introduced in 58 was rated @158hp w Cummins engine and weighed 27800lbs. The loader:136RO(rear operator) was there largest(3yd) std bucket tallied in at 57800lbs and was truly an awkward looking machine. The company was involved w air operated mining equipment according to Kieth Haddock author of the Earthmover Encyclopedia.
Some what belated, but I have an eimco with the 6 but need a left drive axle. 90% plus undrcarriage. Will sell or buy axle parts 530-356-6101 357-2626
Hello, old thread new Eimco owner. Or I could be if I can get it fixed. The owner said I can have it if I can get it fix. If not it's off to the scrap yard, or will sell for parts. The left drive axle seemed to be a weak point I have read several posts/ads looking for that drive axle. Here are a few pictures. It ran great before the axle broke. It was bought nearly new as military surplus. Very few hour on it. It sits where it broke down 20+ years ago.
eimco parts I have lots of parts for 103 mc if u need anything or have a question ill try and help (812 239-3962. Michael
Depending on where u are I may be interested in it also. U can contact me at the mobile # and or sent pics and info if looking to sell.
We're in northern California, near Redding. I would be very interested in getting the axle we're looking for. I'll talk to the ranch owner tomorrow and see which way he wants to go. I do know he would love to get it up and running. He loved that dozer when it ran.
eimco parts Just let me know im starting to tear another one down. Pretty sure i have 2 of everything almost anyway. Also be sure its in the final and not a broken pinion. Which i have some complet pinions and shims.Thanks, michael
Hello Mackman, I tried PMing you but I guess I haven't been a member long enough. The ranch owner wants several parts if he can get them. He gave me the old bearing with the broken shaft end, and told me he would like to get the shaft, and that whole end of that assembly. He also gave me some papers to scan, although I not real sure what I'm looking at, maybe you can make it out. I have also attached some pictures of the bearing with broken shaft. We would also like the hydraulic pump that runs the transmission, and he ask if you had any swing arms that have not been welded. He believes that it was a bad weld job on a swing arm that put things out of alignment and caused the shaft to break. My email is [email protected] We can give you a call but I wanted to try and have things figured out as much as possible first. Bill knows much more than me as I haven't worked on that dozer at all "yet".
eimco parts Have a few questions? Are u needing the charge pump on the converter for the transmission? I need a pic to see what u are meaning by the swing arms? I have a pair of complete finals with thin sprockets and all the bearing end parts. It would probably be easier to swap a better sprocket on the drive i have rather than swapping axles only. U may have more damage inside than u relize. [email protected] (812) 239-3962 thanks, michael
That's a cool machine. It looks awesome! It looks like a scorpion.
Just purchased Eimco 103MC / M64 - detroit diesel engine - runs and operates as the previous owner had completely rebuilt it decades ago and kept it in great condition. Looking for any operator info / manuals / etc. - photo is from a few years ago - will share other photos soon Thanks in advance - 704-942-7711 is my cell - [email protected] if you have info - please email, text or call thanks
Looks sexy as all get out!
That's one hell of a ripper with 7 shanks! Dozer looks mint!
Welcome to the Forums David! Glad to have you. Congrats on the machine. On a side note I would advise against putting your cell and email address on the open forum. There are all sorts of net spiders and bots that comb the forums looking for data and phone or email addresses are gold to them. Think SPAM. If you would like to edit your first post PM me. Thanks