Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine and Hydraulic Oil Analysis & Test Samples

TerryD999 · 2023-07-04 14:22

Advice Please - at 72 yo, I just couldn't retire. Brand new to the forum and brand new to heavy equipment. Recently bought 1951 (same age as me) CAT D8 Dozer 2003 Gehl RS8-42 Telehandler - bought at auction with no service records I've studied past threads and I believe learned a lot. Particularly "In need of an education" posted by Tyler d4c In need of a education Never having done any oil samples before I decided to send on in on my 5100 hour 279c hydraulic system. How does one determine if there is reason for concern or not ive done some reading on it but its still abit over my head. Thanks as always HeavyEquipmentForums I have a tentative plan for the Gehl and thought to run it by you all for comment. 1) get sample kits from NAPA, Ford, CAT, or almost anyone it seems? 2) take and submit engine oil and hydraulic oil samples prior to servicing or operating the machine - a benchmark. 3) submit samples of brand new oils right out of the container? 4) be sure to get - particle count by ISO code - silicone values _??? 5) post the results here for your valued interpretation. I'm not confident I understand much - please feel free to comment and educate me. Thank you! Terry

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2023-07-04 14:59

    1. I like Cat SOS, ten bottle kit very easy to send in and get results, cost competitive with any I've seen. 2. Take the samples from the warmed up oil sucked out while operating. Engine oil can be taken mid way through draining, but not as good as sucking it out. The engine oil will be so dirty it might not matter. 3. why? 4. particle count won't tell you much with these machines, silicon and all the metals will be on the cat sos results. 5. sure, we can guess. If there's something terrible, the results will shout it at you. The sampling is really good at telling you how much life is left on the oil, and what ratios of different metals are present, hinting at possible issues. A lifetime of samples for a high hour machine will often predict failures before they happen, but it doesn't sound like that's either of these machines. I would not change the hydraulic oil on either without a reason.

  2. #2Nige2023-07-04 16:57

    This Video might give you a few useful tips.

  3. #3TerryD9992023-07-05 18:19

    Thanks Delmer - I'll stop at my dealer for a 10 bottle kit tomorrow. Do you just order online? From who? 3. why? because in Tyler d4c's post Nige responded "Don’t forget to take a sample of new oil at the same time. The results of the ISO on “new clean” oil might amaze you." Nige did I misunderstand? Nige - the video was helpful - I never would have thought sample contamination was so fussy.

  4. #4Delmer2023-07-05 19:06

    Nige works in a different world than you and I. He manages fleets that buy their trucks in pieces and burn fuel by the barge load. When you're rebuilding stuff every three years of round the clock operation, you need to know how clean your fluids are. With a 1951 dozer, there's not likely anything you're going to do about the dirty new fluid out of a bucket, and it probably won't matter to the life of that dozer. The 2003 Gehl might benefit slightly over it's life from cleaner fluid, but again, what are you realistically going to do about the particle counts in new oil buckets? Personally, I'd take the samples. Drain the engine oil if it looks like it needs it, open all the filters and inspect, save some pics of anything questionable, wait until you get the results to see if you'll change the hydraulic fluids. Probably flush and refill the stuff like axles and final drives. Your local dealer will have the kit.

  5. #5Cmark2023-07-05 19:52

    On the subject of how to obtain the sample, consistency is key. It's less important whether you suck it through the dipstick tube or catch it from the drain, more important that you use the same technique every time. Condition monitoring is all about establishing trends.

  6. #6TerryD9992023-07-05 20:07

    Delmer the laughing face was your description of Nige's world! Delmer and Cmark - thanks a bunch!

  7. #7Delmer2023-07-06 01:54

    On the Road Again let's see if I remember the Gettysburg address and do the math right I'm 3 score and 10 and closing in on six months! It makes you my age Nige. Live for every day. There's a bunch of old guys on here :) Just turned 3 score ans 10 myself on July 3. Collected my 1st Social Security check, still... HeavyEquipmentForums I don't remember where the truck pics were, but here's some other pretty pics.

  8. #8Nige2023-07-08 07:15

    Terry, as per the above you don't need new oil sampled, but you DO need to make sure you practice good cleanliness when checking/adding oils. It will pay you in the long run.