i have an old 3 cylinder gas engine that was ran without oil for a few minutes and now it is locked up. anyone think it would work to try to get it free and running again? or would a teardown be in order? or just a used replacement?
I seriously doubt just freeing it up will help the bearings are probably seized to the crank might as well ter it down so as not to cause any more damage.
I have had a couple that I've freed up,that ran good, you never know till you try.
you maybe able to free it only to throw a rod threw the block in the next hour of running. I would suggest tearing into so you done have a window after!
hmmm, well i got her going again. runs good. ah, i was always a bit of a risk taker, so i imagine i will just run it. i think it will be fine.
Is this a Ford? If so, I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think a more abuse tolerant engine was ever made. They never perform great, but they don't get worse when you torture them. I had a 3-cyl. diesel in a 3400 loader, it had an oil leak, and, my father borrowed it one sunday. He kept putting off adding oil, and when the oil light came on, he figured he'd check it when he finished that load. Needless to say, he locked it up tight. Monday morning I put 5.5 qts in a 6 qt oil pan. I had to hook my service truck and a pickup to the battery to turn it over. It started, but had a terrible knock. I knew I was out of business, cause I didn't have the money to rebuild it. I was so (insert vulgar word for being unhappy here) that I just sat down and watched it idle, waiting for a rod to come out. After 10-15 minutes I realized it was quieter, then after another half hour, no knock! That was 1992 and I used it yesterday, never have opened it up. My brother and his son have both run my brother's gas 2000 hot till it locked up, and it still runs.