Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Skid steer pulling trailer

LanceNE ยท 2011-07-09 09:37

Wondering if anyone has ever pulled a trailer with a skid steer? I've heard that the older ASV were made for that. Have a 297C Cat and was going to weld a receiver hitch on. Looking at pulling a trailer full of logs or chips back in some remote country.

Replies8
  1. #1T GRIMM2011-07-09 14:36

    have not done it yet but i was going to put a hitch on my 297c and pull a small disk with it in the wetlands that we work in. its the only machine i got thatll float in those arias and the NRCS wants em disked! let me no how it works. ive pulled lots of things with the loader by just drillin a hole in the bucket and putting a ball in it, but that only works goodwith short disances.

  2. #2LanceNE2011-07-10 12:58

    Built like little tanks, ought to be able to pull a little bit with them. I was going to find an old manure spreader with hydraulic push out, take off the beaters and use it for getting logs out of some tough spots. Sounds a little bit hillbilliesh but cheaper than a forwarder.

  3. #3Digdeep2011-07-10 14:42

    My ASV RC50 came standard witha 2" receiver. I think all of them do.

  4. #4cartzblown94z2011-07-11 10:33

    my rc-30 has a reciever on back too although i havent used it for anything yet

  5. #5BIGcatT8702011-07-12 11:35

    I can't think of any reason pulling a trailer should be a problem. I would however, consider loading the front of the machine with a bucket of dirt or some sort of counter weight to keep the front end down.

  6. #6brushmaster902011-07-15 15:37

    I havent done or scene it but I got a buddy who works for the power company. I rember him saying they have a special trailer for the skid steer meant to pull telphone pulls to the middle of the fields. As BIGcatT870 mentioned some weight in the front might help. Or at least I would imigane some sort of ballast.

  7. #7LanceNE2011-07-15 16:02

    Thanks for the input..... thought I might be able to load up the grapple rake with logs to off set the trailer alittle

  8. #8tool_king2011-07-15 22:48

    We had a two inch hitch welded on a Scat trak for towing a compressor for air drill attachment two drills for drilling in parking lot job.It worked great customer loved it.