Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

engine not running right after powerwash

sadegs ยท 2017-07-19 14:07

I recently picked up a skat trak 1350, with the kubuta engine. runs great, but hadn't been touched in years. the bottom was caked with leaves and oil. I powerwashed it out, along with a few other areas that needed to worked on. it started right up after spray down, but after a minute or so, I could hear it running rough, like not all cylinders were firing. I shut it off, and it is sitting in the sun to dry out. I was careful not to spray near the intake, but I did notice a small hole in the exhaust, very close to where the 4 manifold pipes become 1 pipe. I hadn't sprayed directly into the hole, but some water may have gotten in there. any suggestions how to clear the water?

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2017-07-19 14:48

    I don't know if this engine is new enough to have electronic garbage controlling the engine or not? My guess is no. I'd check the fuel filter, fuel level, air filter/intake. I don't think enough water would get in a small hole to cause any trouble, if it had, the damage was done in the first second and the water is long gone by now.

  2. #2mikebramel2017-07-19 14:54

    How's the fuel supply

  3. #3sadegs2017-07-19 14:55

    zero electronics, which is one of the reasons why I decided to get it. easier to work on. In fact, the key doesn't shut the engine off. I have to pull the throttle all the way back to shut it off. I have to do a full fluids/filters change anyways, so, maybe I'll do that first and see where it gets me. One odd thing - there is no temp gauge, just a red light that says "Engine Caution". After the spray down, that light is always on. I'd like to add a temp gauge, and not rely on just a small red light.

  4. #4sadegs2017-07-20 17:50

    I left it in the hot sun all day yesterday. Must have dried it out because last night it started up and ran perfect. The temp gauge light is also working correctly again.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2017-07-20 18:54

    WATER.. ya cant live with it & you cant live without it.. lol Glad you got it straightened out..

  6. #6old-iron-habit2017-07-21 12:46

    I wonder if that engine light stuck it in some sort of a limp mode if the temp wire was giving it an erratic hot signal.

  7. #7check2017-07-21 13:25

    I had to pressure ash my Cat skid steer so I did it when I had time to let it sit for a week afterwards before trying to start it.