I'm sure this is too simple of a question, but I just need to know... I have 3 Donkey forklifts with Kubota 3 cylinder. I guess I don't know much about crankcase oil, nor diesel engines. I've only changed the oil a couple times or so, and have used Rotella 15w-40 (or 20??), whatever the most common is. I just stumbled on the Donkey parts list, and for oil it says "SAE 10w-30 Above CD Grade". That sounds like "plain ole motor oil" to me? What should I be using?
Sort of weird that it states "above CD grade", sort of ambiguous for an oil spec. As for CD, that's an obsolete spec, it was originally introduced in 1955 for naturally aspirated diesel engines. Of course a lot has changed since 1955. Unless you wish to source an obsolete oil spec for diesel engines from a local oil supplier, I'd say you'll do just fine using any current spec 15W/40 diesel engine oil.
Thanks Willie, That's what I was thinking also. I've been running Rotella in them for about 5 years... no issues yet. Will rinse and repeat.