Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine Oil leak on Case 480B

Keithw ยท 2012-12-09 12:43

Been running my old Case 480b a bit and noticed what appears to be engine oil squirting out from somewhere on my motor. It doesn't happen all the time so I don't where it is coming from. It looks like it may be the head gasket...if the head gasket had a leak, would it squirt out like this? Anyone have something similar happen or have any suggestions? Thanks

Replies22
  1. #1arduece2012-12-09 13:24

    not familiar with this style engine but shouldnt be a head gasket issue. any engine that i have ever dealt with only had oil to pass thru the head gasket as a drain back to the oil pan. there shouldnt be any pressurized oil at the head gasket. i would pressure wash the area and try to make it squirt again to pin point it. does it seem to do it more when hot or cold,low or high rpms?

  2. #2Goose2012-12-09 13:59

    From the bottom picture it looks like it is coming out of the exhaust were the muffler slides over the manifold pipe. Sometimes when the nozzles get weak they will cause the engine to slobber the unburned fuel out the exhaust and it will come out were ever it can find a place to leak out.

  3. #3willie592012-12-09 15:12

    I agree with Goose, that looks like unburned fuel. As it comes out the exhaust ports it washes away the carbon soot inside the manifold, leaks out black liquid from joints in exhaust.

  4. #4melben2012-12-09 15:54

    I agree with the other two, Does it have a thermostat? Is it coming up to operating temp? Is the timing correct? Has there been a compression check taken? The injector tips could be shooting a bad pattern or injector opening pressure could be down. The engine needs a good going over to ensure all adjustments are correct including valve adjustment. Does it start easily? Does it have a lot of blowby? All these are possibilities to consider. Mel

  5. #5Keithw2012-12-09 16:15

    Thanks for the replies, it is an old motor, unknown hours...It starts easy but does have blowby. Other than a rebuild, should I just tighten the exhaust joints? The muffler is kind of wobbly.

  6. #6willie592012-12-09 16:19

    If it were me, I would take the exhaust manifold off, see if it's just one cylinder causing the problem, or all 4. You'll be able to tell because a faulty cylinder will have a wet exhaust port, good cylinder the port will be dry and black. It could be you just have one injector failing. If you do have a bad injector doing this, it needs to be fixed. That raw fuel coming out the exhaust is the least of your problems, it's also leaking by the piston rings into engine oil which is compromising the lubrication.

  7. #7Keithw2012-12-09 21:20

    Thanks Willy, excellent advice

  8. #8Keithw2012-12-23 14:45

    Pulled the exhaust manifold and found that all ports are basically wet with fuel with a couple worse than the others. Is there an online source for new or rebuilt injectors? On an old engine I assume the injectors are going to be hard to get out I have read others have not had good luck with the case injector tool is it worth buying one? Thanks

  9. #9Tinkerer2012-12-23 16:57

    If it is case # A140829 it is available at Coleman Equipment online (a Case Dealer) for $ 178.88 for a new one or a re-manufactured one for $ 141.00. OUCH !! A feller on ebay has more than 10 new ones available for $ 53.95 each. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Fuel-I...217?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ea8579ee9 Also at all State Ag Parts for $ 55.00. I don't know if it is a new one or a rebuilt one. I have bought from them with good results. Here is there link. https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Fuel_Injector_for_Case_p/115243.htm . I am sure there are others on the web offering them. I do know I had horrible results (failures) form one vendor that was selling them on the internet. I thought I was buying new ones. and as soon as I got them I could see they were rebuilt. They didn't even last for 200 hours and they all failed.

  10. #10Keithw2012-12-23 17:23

    Thanks Tinkerer, ordered the ebay ones...have to take a chance when they are that much cheaper than coleman

  11. #11Tinkerer2012-12-23 17:55

    Glad to help Kieth. I purchased 4 fuel injectors on ebay in 2010 for $ 45.00 each. They were in the original Case sealed packages.

  12. #12Keithw2012-12-23 20:57

    Good link Tinkerer, I guess I can just pry them out now since I will be putting in brand new ones?

  13. #13Tinkerer2012-12-23 22:23

    I cut a slot in a 1/2 inch deep wall so I could twist them back forth. I used a ladies foot pry bar to put upward force on them. Also it takes a lot of penetrating oil. I am posting a picture of the bar for anyone that does not know what it is.

  14. #14Keithw2012-12-24 08:20

    Thanks Tinkerer, I will have to buy one

  15. #15jake9802012-12-24 17:05

    are you sure the valve guides arent so worn that they are leaking oil? I have seen that before. If the machine does not have a bad miss, or smoke like crazy when you fire it up. then i wouldnt condem the nozzles so much. Did you run it with the exhaust manifold off? I would try that and watch the guides. You will have to plug the oil feed and return lines to the turbo if it has one.

  16. #16Keithw2012-12-24 21:27

    Jake, after willy suggested it was probably unburned fuel, I looked at it closer and it does seem to be fuel mixed with the carbon in the exhaust. It does smoke quite a bit when pulling a load. The injectors are on the way so I will try those first. Thanks for your suggestions, I'm sure everything on the engine is worn out ;

  17. #17Tinkerer2012-12-25 07:03

    Worn valve guides would cause the engine crankcase vent to blow combustion gases along with engine oil out the vent pipe.

  18. #18Keithw2013-01-04 18:35

    I soaked the injectors for about a week in WD40 while waiting for the new injectors. They all came out pretty easy with a small cats claw pry bar. Put the new injectors in and ran it for about 20 minutes. Was disappointed to see some more black liquid spots had been blown out. Not as bad as before so it may just be the remnants of the old fuel blowing out and not new unburnt fuel. I will run it some more and see if it keeps blowing out black liquid. If it keeps doing it, it sounds like Jake may be correct. Jake, I am trying to avoid spending much money on this old case so what would you recommend as the bare minimum to replace to keep it from blowing oil?

  19. #19Keithw2013-01-05 20:18

    Ran it some more today and it is definitely blowing engine oil out of the exhaust. Can anyone give me some advice on the most likely cause.? Jake suggested the valve guides are worn and I am taking his word for it. How hard is it to replace the guides and can I get by with just putting in new guides? Other than seeing the oil, it has good oil pressure and seems to run Ok. Is it okay to keep running it? Thanks

  20. #20jake9802013-01-05 20:38

    hey keith... there is no real easy fix, you will have to take the head off and send it to a machine shop to get re-done. What I would do before pulling the head is verify for sure the guides are leaking. Pull the ehaust manifold and run machine. You will see oil leaking down the valves. Maybe you can find a remaufacted head (may be a better root) already to go. Yes you can keep running it, just keep an eye on your oil level. If you only use this machine once in a blue moon then it may be cheaper just to keep adding oil then to fix the problem.

  21. #21Keithw2013-01-05 20:48

    Jake, thanks for the reply, I don't use it too much so may keep using it while keeping an eye out for a rebuilt head. I can just keep the oil topped off and see how fast it spits it out. This old tractor is starting to worry me, every time I run it I wonder what else will break or leak ... Lol

  22. #22Keithw2013-01-05 20:53

    So, it sounds like a rebuild kit won't help me, it is the head itself that also is worn