Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

engine rebuild

rudy753 · 2022-12-02 01:03

have to rebuild the v2203 engine in my 753 bobcat. having trouble deciding if genuine parts are worth the extra money. anyone here tried the rebuild kits from amazon?

Replies24
  1. #1Birken Vogt2022-12-02 01:25

    Have you also priced a complete new engine with a warranty?

  2. #2Coaldust2022-12-02 02:05

    Like Mr. Vogt said. A v2203 is typically a very economical engine to purchase new/reman. I have purchased some crazy stuff from Jeff Bezos, but would have serious second thoughts purchasing rotating engine parts from him.

  3. #3Vetech632022-12-02 08:13

    I believe the new liners will have to be finish honed regardless.

  4. #4Tyler d4c2022-12-02 08:36

    I once bought a cheap rebuild kit off ebay and till it was right I got to buy all the parts a second time oem. Wasn't a kubota but was a small diesel engine never the less

  5. #5Vetech632022-12-02 08:41

    The only aftermarket kits I ever used were Sealed Power or Perfet Circle brands. I never had issues with either. I hav used some FP but not enough to have a good opinion.........they are still running so that must mean something

  6. #6John C.2022-12-02 11:31

    I purchased Sealed Power and Perfect Circle stuff for a D8H engine years ago. Three weeks after the engine was back in the machine and running, it came up with a dead cylinder. Found broken first and second ring and ruined liner. Machine shop where I got the stuff supplied a replacement and then sent us a bill. We refused to pay. That shop went out of business a couple of months later and I never bought another after market part that would end up inside the unit.

  7. #7Arny L2022-12-02 16:15

    The state of aftermarket parts worldwide is dismal, in my opinion, terrible in in every industry. If your older like me, 66, you remember, when you could buy quality aftermarket. Now, you really have to pick n choose. I like to try and use OEM, when ever I can. If you trust your engine building skills and your not in a rush., buy factory parts and save the labor. Re-builds are not without quality issues, as was stated.

  8. #892U 34062022-12-02 17:12

    Last place I was at it was actually more economical to buy a new skid steer engine than to rebuild it.

  9. #9Welder Dave2022-12-02 17:36

    Does V2203 use liners? I thought most Kubota's were parent bore.

  10. #10Truck Shop2022-12-02 19:51

    Carrier refer units use the Kubota V2203. Do some looking around at truck/trailer salvage yards. Same basic head, block and possibly pan, can move rear structure and intake manifold. Plus the IP can be moved, would come with glow plugs. Refer engines can have hours but those don't work too hard spinning a compressor. just a thought.

  11. #1192U 34062022-12-02 20:13

    Those Kubota engines will run dang near forever too. Those light plants on jobsites will easily get over 20k hours with nothing more than oil changes usually.

  12. #12Truck Shop2022-12-02 20:56

    Well over 275 trailers since I've been there {20 years} lost one injector pump, never lost a engine and many with 20K run hours.

  13. #1392U 34062022-12-02 21:02

    Seen the odd front crank seal now and then and one that got a new head at just north of 20k hours. Other than that they just keep running.

  14. #14Welder Dave2022-12-02 22:01

    I have a V1902B in my skid steer. The same engine was used in thousands of Red-D-Arc welders. Heard of some going over 13,000 hours and never had anything but regular maintainence and a lot were rentals.

  15. #15Tyler d4c2022-12-02 22:04

    I've seen some kubotas with more hours then anything else around and atm I have one torn down getting a head bored to oversize pistons and the rest the fixings of a rebuild. Has 368 hours on it. It was over heated bad.

  16. #16Welder Dave2022-12-03 02:38

    Apparently they have very tight tolerances and ether at any time is a big no no.

  17. #17Tyler d4c2022-12-03 07:02

    Thats more of a glow plug problem moment it hits it it lights will throw rods out of them

  18. #18colson042022-12-03 09:55

    I've got a v2203 in a 753 Bobcat as well. Mine has around 3200 hours. It needs to be pulled and resealed soon as it leaks oil out the front. It does start very well, even in the coldest of days, just using the glow plugs and giving it medium to high throttle during cranking. I also have a Bobcat 743 with a Kubota v1702. That engine always had good power, but was always a horrible starting engine made worse in the cold. I've read about guys putting a v2203 in their place, swapping manifolds and oil pans and then they bolt up. I haven't looked into it too closely yet.

  19. #19Birken Vogt2022-12-03 10:26

    I've used ether on plenty of them in reasonable (tiny) amounts and it does not hurt them.

  20. #20Welder Dave2022-12-03 15:17

    I'd bet the V2203 is a newer direct injection engine and the V1702 is indirect injection. I have an indirect V1902B which is basically the same as a 1702. It can be a pain to start when it's -25C even plugged in. Even needs glow plugs when 30C for initial start. Great engine otherwise. Direct injection came around 1995 and only need glow plugs when it's below freezing.

  21. #21OzDozer2022-12-03 19:39

    In my neck of the woods, it's not economic to try and rebuild a Kubota with genuine parts, because of the parts cost. Aftermarket parts from China are hit and miss quality, parts from ROC (Taiwan) are normally satisfactory. A good condition low-hour used Kubota may be the cheapest solution. YMMV.

  22. #22Tyler d4c2022-12-03 21:44

    Thats what alot of people claim the ones I've don't parts are normally 1000 buck or so then 3 or 4 hundred at the machine shop. I've yet to have fuel system troubles on a kubota engine so in my experience 0 cost there and probably 12 or so hours of my time. Say I was charging 100 a hour to do the job have it done for under 3000. These where 3 cylinder engines

  23. #23thepumpguysc2022-12-04 03:09

    That’s where I stand too.. & we were Kubota Dealers.. If an engine came in with anything more than a head gasket or fuel injection problem, a NEW engine was the way to go..

  24. #24MyMRO2022-12-07 22:11

    You can try the OEM parts, hope it can help you. Some brands have aftermarket parts that are as good as the manufacturer. You can google it to find the parts you want