Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine stalls after heating up

Dadof6 ยท 2014-09-06 21:56

Looking to get some advice on this Ford 550 again, engine runs fine for about an hour then starts weakening until it finally stalks out, then it won't start back up for a while. I've checked all the obvious stuff I know to check and had a mechanic tell me today that it sounded like the governor in the injection pump, he states that the only fix is to replace it with a new one. My issue is that's a $700 stab at the problem and I want to make sure I've tried everything else first. Thoughts?

Replies11
  1. #1jimg9842014-09-06 23:00

    check fuel flow return by taking fuel tank cap off,,,could be the plastic line is shutting off when it gets warm/hot. I had a problem with plastic line because the hood was sitting on it GL

  2. #2mitch5042014-09-07 00:29

    Like jim said, check fuel return, and fuel cap vent.

  3. #3Delmer2014-09-07 00:30

    It could be either blocking the return or starving for fuel. Like GL says, check the return flow to the tank. Have you checked the transfer pump pressure when it dies? Or tee into the line and use a gauge in the cab. If it has decent pressure, then pull off the return fitting on the injection pump and have a look?

  4. #4Delmer2014-09-07 10:02

    The mechanic that said it sounded like the governor might have meant the same thing as the return plugging. On some pumps a flexible governor part falls apart and plugs up the fuel return fitting. Pumpguy will straighten you out if you report what you find.

  5. #5Dadof62014-09-07 16:05

    Two questions from the feedback: So I should just work the backhoe without the gas cap on and see if it has an affect? Also, is there an actual return hose that goes back to the fuel tank?

  6. #6jimg9842014-09-07 16:45

    with fuel cap off and engine running [not working] you should be able to seen fuel returning to tank thru a small opening below where fuel cap sits,,,if not probably a brock age in fuel line or fittings

  7. #7Dadof62014-09-07 20:57

    I ran it tonight for about 45 mins and it kept a pretty steady flow of fuel back in the tank. Should I work it and when it starts dying out try and check the flow at that point?

  8. #8jimg9842014-09-07 21:30

    yes

  9. #9Dadof62014-09-08 20:16

    Tonight I ran it while digging for 1 1/2 hours and twice it started sputtering and sure enough the fuel flow started sputtering and then it would shoot a strong flow of fuel then back to sputtering and dripping out. The first time it recovered itself and kept running but the second time it quit all together. Is there a fix or am I going to have to replace the pump?

  10. #10jimg9842014-09-08 20:39

    would be a shame to replace pump and still have same problem have you examined the return line inch by inch? and the fitting at the pump.. if your machine has a theromstart on the intake manifold there may be a tee feeding it. you haven't said anything about servicing the fuel filter,, sometimes air will suck in, with no noticeable leaks in the fuel line to manual pump. you need to do some testing

  11. #11Dadof62014-09-09 15:09

    I agree (as far as replacing something that ain't broke), and that's what makes me a little apprehensive about what the mechanic said. I will inspect the fuel lines tonight as well as the fitting at the pump, the one to the intake has been capped off. I have inspected the fuel filter but havent changed it yet, the machine is new to me so I'm not sure how old it is but it looks pretty new.....couldn't hurt to change it though. I do think air intake is the main contributing factor but not totally sure; I should mention that it's difficult to start anyway due (I'm told) to a sticking injector, I have to give it a shot of ether in order to start it even on a good day. Will check the lines out and report back.