Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine start rpm

ak_snowbear ยท 2019-06-29 05:36

Why do these machines start at high rpms and then slow to normal idle? Is it something that can be adjusted?

Replies5
  1. #1DEMLONE702019-06-29 07:03

    Witch one ?

  2. #2mg23612019-06-29 18:37

    If your talking about your CT332 it is normal. When you turn your key on and you here the clack of the shut off solenoid your engine is now at full fuel so when it starts it revs above idle until the flyweights in the governor bring it back to idle. There are no adjustments. That's just the way that fuel system is.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2019-06-30 14:03

    Kinda like an automatic choke.. Some are higher than others.. Older JD's used a magnet in the cap on the front of the inj. pump.. u wanna talk about HI rpms until it released..!!?? I had 1 customer complain about it so much, I took the magnet out.. THEN he complained about hard starts. I ended up replacing the cap w/ a new magnet & telling him to just live w/ it.. or buy a new tractor.. preferably something not from the 1970's..

  4. #4John C.2019-07-02 19:28

    Thanks for that explanation pumpguy. I always wondered why those old Deere engines started up looking like a tire fire was raging. Lots of diesels over time started at full throttle but those I think were the worst for the soot and noise at startup.

  5. #5ak_snowbear2019-07-04 05:37

    must be a tractor thing. My JD dozer and hoe are 70s models and don't do that. I've only seen it on these newish skid steers. Mines an 08. It is pretty irritating. Everything I was taught was that the most wear occurs in the first few seconds after starting... appreciate the explanation mg.