Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ESCO hydraulic pin catcher pics!

fArMeRkNoWsBeSt ยท 2008-09-03 19:42

Hello. Well it finally came in! Going to be installed and running hopefully tomorrow. Can't wait to get the machine home again and use it. Switching buckets in a minute instead of 10-15 will be SO nice. Anyways, I'm excited, so I figured you could all be excited with me. HAHA. Thanks for looking. Warren

Replies14
  1. #1JCBgm2008-09-04 19:44

    Nice buy!! Esco gets their couplers from Miller in the UK. They are great couplers. I just visited a customer (rental house) who has about 20 them on their larger excavators. They love them. What machine are you putting it on?

  2. #2fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2008-09-06 21:07

    Thanks for the comment. I've heard they are good couplers and was advised to get this particular one by several people. We are putting it on our CX210. To see some pics of it check out this thread. Warren

  3. #3ben46a2008-09-07 09:08

    I think Cat works tools pin grabber are the same by the looks of it. Darn good units.

  4. #4AtlasRob2008-09-07 13:51

    If that is true, then you do indeed have a very good purchase. Only a few comments. It is a pain to get the pipes onto the ram, you may have to drop that end of the ram out, if so make sure that once a month you move the pin that holds the ram else in 2 years time when a hose bursts you will have a nightmare removing that pin again. ( it has no reason to move during normal operation and will sieze) Make sure the pipes to the ram are around 3' long so you only but 3' of pipe when you replace them and get them wire bound for extra protection. DO NOT OPERATE WITHOUT THE SAFETY PIN INSERTED. You will love it :drinkup You are aware it is going to alter the operation of the thumb you have fitted ?

  5. #5CM19952008-09-07 14:55

    Good advice AtlasRob. That coupler does look very similiar to the Cat style I had on a 321. Yes the hoses for the ram in the coupler can be a PITA to change out and sometimes you have to knock the pin out of one end and drop the ram from the coupler. Not that it is anything major but it can be aggravating. Never the less, I prefer that type of coupler and would purchase another. Definetely get the HD wire wrapped hydraulic hoses for the coupler ram.

  6. #6fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2008-09-07 15:06

    Thanks for the tips Rob. I'll make sure to turn the pins on the cylinder like you said. That is a good idea. The coupler came with a set of spare 3' hoses and I had another set made up already. The farmer in me absolutely hates downtime and so I like having spare parts on hand at all times. The coupler also comes with removable wire rapping for the hoses to help protect them. As for the thumb, you are right, and it is being modified and should be done hopefully Monday. I'll get pics when the machine is back and working again. Thanks again for the tips, I really appreciate it. Warren

  7. #7fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2008-09-12 20:22

    Went and checked on the progress and the job is nearly done. The quick attach works great and the rake fits perfectly. The thumb is nearly fully modified to work with the new attachments and should be done Monday. A week late, but oh well. Warren

  8. #8greywynd2008-09-12 22:17

    Looks good!! Sent you a PM a while back asking a couple specific questions, maybe you didn't get it? I like the look of the rake, what steel did they use to make it, any idea? I think you'll like the coupler, and the rake, along with the thumb it will be a great combination!

  9. #9stock2008-09-13 18:54

    The Quick hitch as we call them are the best thing since sliced pan my opinion BUT and its a big but always always always 1 check your attachment is correctly locked 2 ALWAYS USE THE SAFETY PIN Last year in the first three months a person died, by a bucket falling off . On a lesser note I saw a bucket hit the front of a cab as it wasnt locked properly A GREAT TOOL WHEN USED PROPERLY the Q HITCH THAT IS

  10. #10fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2008-09-14 20:06

    I replied, sorry it took so long, I've been pretty busy. Steel. Don't know the exact classification. All I know is it is extremely strong and imported from Scandinavia somewhere. I can find out. I certainly hope I like the rake, coupler and thumb, certainly have invested enough money in them I'd better. HAHA. Now if it ever stops raining I might be able to use them. Warren

  11. #11fArMeRkNoWsBeSt2008-09-14 20:08

    Yes, I've been given the lecture many times, but with life on the line, you can't hear it enough times I suppose. I'm surprised no one has commented on the fact the safety pin is not installed in the pics. Of course neither of the 4 pins are bolted on either. Warren

  12. #12humboldt deere2008-09-14 22:28

    I'snt that the pin in the first set of pics in place?

  13. #13stock2008-09-15 00:14

    On a site here it is nearly automatic dismissal to be caught without the pin in place, the very least is a three day stand down for a first offence .Most of the new hitches here now dont use a safety pin but have a double highly visible second lock that can be clearly seen from the seat.Will see if I can get some pics.

  14. #14stock2008-09-15 00:23

    something like this from Irish manufacturer GEITH Check out geith.com