Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu 830E

Hank R · 2022-03-30 11:37

In April 2010 new equipment began to arrive for the mine here Copper Mountain. I got some pictures hope it is okay for newer mine Haul truck build pictures.

Replies38
  1. #1Hank R2022-03-30 13:21

    The about pictures all was going good until a mine boss came by and I was told I was not to climb up on truck and I needed safety stuff. So no inside cab stuff, the set up crew did not bother me. About a week later I hear from build guys that at end of day they were going to start truck a few checks then drive behind fence where box was. So we went up this time with a old white hard had safety vest boots etc got some more pictures Mine wheels were looking out office windows and shop but left me alone this time. Truck warmed up and moving for the first time under its own power.

  2. #2Hank R2022-03-31 11:12

    November 12, 2010 I was retired from bus when I was asked if i would take a school bus of kids to the mine to see the new big shovel as the mine bosses had kids in grade 6 and 7 so of course I said yes....

  3. #3Hank R2022-03-31 11:13
  4. #4Hank R2022-03-31 11:16

    I droped kids off in front of truck shop for hot dogs and hot chocolate , then wnt and park bus beside haul that just arrived.

  5. #5Hank R2022-04-04 19:44

    Looks like Komatsu box?

  6. #6DDoug2022-04-05 07:00

    Somewhere we had a pix, when my dad took a tour of the brand new Big Muskie, they parked the (2) tour busses in the bucket.

  7. #7Hank R2022-04-05 13:02

    A bit of a story here, as I was retired and asked to take kids on this trip I jumped yes . Got to mine and unloaded kids Mine bosses had loader all ribboned off and was tell kids all about the loader and shovel. When done the boss guys said hot dogs and hot chocolate at shop kids and teachers thanked the mine guys. So Like I thought I have one chance of a life time here so I yelled out everyone get in shovel bucket There was cheers and kids jumped on in. Mine bosses were not happy with me and said they would let school know what I did say and it was not safe. So I said go ahead you want the phone ## and get in if you want your picture taken. So here it is.

  8. #8Hank R2022-04-05 13:36
  9. #9Hank R2022-04-06 16:04

    A friend stopped by this morning and said Copper Mountain mine here started testin the Trolley Assist truck that SMS dealer did the work on last night should have pictures by tonight or morning.

  10. #10Hank R2022-04-07 08:27

    April 5, I believe was the first day running this truck, with electric assist.

  11. #11Hank R2022-04-16 18:22

    A few winters ago new truck going to Copper Mt mine here.

  12. #12Hank R2022-04-17 10:53

    Every year in June the mine has a miner day event in town and have a display and PR stuff free burgers and hot dogs etc. different suppliers have displays. 2 years ago they had this power unit for a mine haul truck there.

  13. #13DDoug2022-04-18 07:10

    That pix immediately brought to mind the Pink Floyd line in one of their songs...: "Got to keep the Looooonies on the Paaath"....

  14. #14John C.2022-04-18 10:51

    There were four 830 Haulpaks in this territory some years ago. They came with 149 Detroit engines that were pulling way to high of horsepower. Cylinder packs started burning out at a round 5,000 hours. The customer put the big Cummins engines in those in short order.

  15. #15Hank R2022-04-18 13:01

    I was surprise at the 22,000 hrs expected life.

  16. #16John C.2022-04-18 13:17

    I don't recall any of those machines' engine making much more than twelve or fifteen and far less after being rebuilt.

  17. #17Nige2022-04-19 11:18

    Should easily go that long. They have a (relatively) easy life running what is effectively a generator set. With trolley assist the engines should go even longer than that. Is it just me or does Hank's photo above appear to show that the pantograph of the truck isn't even touching the trolley wires.?

  18. #18DDoug2022-04-19 11:32

    It does appear the pantograph is down. Enlarging the pix, looks like their is a smaller wire that is in contact. The large wires appear to be too high for the pantograph to reach, even if they extend the pantograph some more. BTW what is the large red digit display facing the camera, opposite the operators cab ? it appears to be reading "210"

  19. #19Nige2022-04-19 11:39

    The "scoreboard". It displays the payload in tonnes or US tons depending on how the system is set up.

  20. #20Hank R2022-04-20 11:37

    I did check it out on the copper Mt stack stuff and there is a video there showing this truck passing another haul truck at twice the speed. The big wire we see in the picture is the big supply line not the trolley wires. this trolley system has cut 3 minutes off the trip coming out of the pit and fuel saving is huge.. Hope to figure out how to post the video.

  21. #21John C.2022-04-20 11:42

    You can just post a link to it.

  22. #22Hank R2022-04-20 11:46

    I hope this works, I am as dumb as a box of rocks with this stuff https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...ning-of-trolley-assist-project-301516319.html Sure hope Some one can figure this out for me.

  23. #23John C.2022-04-20 11:54

    Worked perfectly for me. Thanks for posting!

  24. #24DDoug2022-04-20 12:12

    Are they also using it for going downhill ?

  25. #25Nige2022-04-20 13:09

    Only installed on the uphill run according to ABB's promo video. See @ 0:29. Interestingly they have a right-side traffic system which is unusual. Most mines haul truck systems drive on the left. IIRC there are major engineering challenges in backfeeding power into a trolley system, even for trucks equipped with AC drives.

  26. #26DDoug2022-04-20 13:56

    You-would-tink .... that with the inverter A.C. drives that regen back into the catenary would be "Easy Peasy". FWIU, regen just goes to the grid resistors, but I don't know if it's A.C. or D.C. And if it's A.C. it's not going to be anywhere close to the grid frequency. So I think regen would involve another set of rectifiers to make D.C. from the drive's regen circuit, and then a set of "grid tie inverters". However, I just noticed the over head wires are qty (2). Is the catenary D.C. to begin with ?

  27. #27Nige2022-04-20 14:09

    Could it have to do with cost.? I posted some figures in another thread that I think would mean a second line would cost around $10m/km for equipment, plus installation costs on top of that. There may even be more required in the form of equipment for a trolley system to feed power back into the grid that would further increase the cost. TBH you'd think that if it was even remotely beneficial economically over the long term that the mine would be doing it. I have never seen a trolley assist system other than on an uphill loaded haul sector.

  28. #28John C.2022-04-20 15:34

    The 830 trucks that were in this area back in the nineties were AC.

  29. #29muzy2022-04-20 21:40

    The diesel is carrying a few more ton by the looks of it.

  30. #30Nige2022-04-20 22:25

    It's DC on the Cat trucks (I assume everyone else's as well) and I guess that's where the technical challenge of returning power to the overhead line comes in. From the Data sheet. The AC Electric Drive in Propel. The diesel engine drives the rear-mounted generator through an isolation coupler. The AC power is rectified to a nominal 2,600 volts to form the DC link. The DC link supplies power to the inverter where IGBT’s convert the DC signal to 3-phase AC to drive the traction motors. The AC Electric Drive in Retard. During retarding the wheel motors become generators. Motor power is fed back through the DC link. The power is fed to the contactor and chopper circuits and then exhausted through the radial grid. An AC fan blows air across the grid to dissipate the power and control retarding speed.

  31. #31DDoug2022-04-21 07:03

    So the IGBT's are running backwards...interesting. any notes on what the catenary is ?

  32. #32Nige2022-04-21 11:12

    2600V DC according to what I can see on the Siemens web site. Therein could lie the problem...........

  33. #33Hank R2022-05-31 17:41

    Komatsu with a water tank on the move.

  34. #34Hank R2022-06-25 07:39

    My friend in Ontario sent to me a Joy (Komatsu) underground Haul truck from the mine he works at.

  35. #35Hank R2022-06-26 07:31

    DT 3504. It's either 35 or 40 ton. Detroit Series 60 400 h.p. I think. They have ventilation to run 7 trucks now. Used to be 5.

  36. #36BigWrench552022-06-26 09:43

    I seen this coming home from work the other day.

  37. #37BigWrench552022-06-26 09:51

    It was coming from a direction that you don't normally see this size machine. My best guess is that it came in by rail. It was headed south. There is a Komatsu dealer in that direction. Not sure where it is headed. 20 miles south is a highway that goes east or west. Or it could have been going to the port. I always wish I knew those answers. And I want to put it together wherever it is headed.

  38. #38Ndubuisi Ubendu2024-01-28 11:11

    Why would this be a problem please?