first photo vögele 1900S second vögele 1800S with vögele MT-1000-1 feeder
Good pics , cool pavers!
I want one of them orange suits. :yup
BAM, the Netherlands New Roadstar Shuttle-Buggy with Demag DF 115 C paver
I agree, the suits look good. I'm a little surprised that no one is wearing a hardhat. :beatsme
I agree with grader4me,no one wear a hardhat.
nobody on a paving crew around here that i've seen , even on the big road crews like the ones pictured were hard hats, just reflective vests.:beatsme i see it as whats working over head why is it needed. and most of the time on road jobs like that there every one is on the paver or on a roller
This is taken out of the N.B. OHSA so we are supposed to wear hardhats. But different places have different rules and guidelines. When I was in Calgary last summer the paving crew that I worked with never wore hardhats, vests or work boots. 40(1) On a project site, an employee shall use Class E, Type 1 headwear that conforms to ANSI standard ANSI Z89.1-1997, "American National Standard for Industrial Head Protection" or a standard offering equivalent or better protection. 40(2) At a place of employment, other than a project site, where an employee is exposed to a hazard that may injure the employee's head, the employee shall use protective equipment that is appropriate to the hazard and that conforms to ANSI standard ANSI Z89.1-1997, "American National Standard for Industrial Head Protection" or a standard offering equivalent or better protection.
They kinda look like a bass plug.
i kinda like the new bright green refletive vest more than the older orange ones. after lookin at the pictures again , i hope it was kinda cool out when those picture taken cause they have a lot of clothes on to be paving in warm weather
paving in the netherlands a 73 near venlo
paving in the netherlands A 73 near Venlo
paving in the netherlands A 9 near amsterdam
paving in the netherlands two colours
Great pics stevinmonteur. :drinkup Now what would the different color asphalt represent?
Good pics!:thumbsup Thanks for sharing. European construction equipment is always interesting. Couple of questions- The dump trucks have metal covers over them. Are these used primarily to haul asphalt or is it the norm for dump trucks to have these covers. I have seen this type of metal covers on dump trucks in mainland China. Ditto on CB's question about the colors of the asphalt. That looks pretty neat. What is the wheeled excavator used for? So you guys don't like Vogele?
Hey guy's: - The colour is for bicycles or walkers. We have the same in Norway, red asfalt on the sides on the carroads for bicycles. In Netherland the becycles is the major ones(most bicycles, not walkers), so the narrow stripe can be for walkers.... - Normaly we have 2 sets of dumper bodys for the trucks that drive asphalt. One squere one for stones/gravel and such and a rounded isolated one for asphalt. The asphalt dumper has another type of tailgate and a metall or tarpoulin roof over it. It is very strict rules on the minimum temperature on the asphalt when it is delivered in the paver. Some drive asphalt in the squere on, then they have a detachable roof. Some lige vogele, others don't. German's and their products is not always popular. U know adolf's world tour some years ago.
paving in the netherlands It is for the bicycles on roads with a speed limit ( 50/60 km/h ) The metal covers on the trucks is for isolating the asphalt I got a link from a roadtec shuttle-buggy also working on the A 73 in the netherlands ( bad quality ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rivXnMF1Iw marco
paving in the netherlands http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA_8HZzwJUo paving on the A9
paving in the netherlands wide transport
paving in the netherlands von trapp with demag on the A9 ( KWS )
After conversing with lowboy about pavers I came back and looked this thread up. Now I'm wondering what the purpose of the shuttle buggy is? Any paving jobs I've been around that they have used end dumps on they just dumped into the paver. Why dump it into a hopper that conveys it to another hopper that conveys it to the hopper on the paver? Looks like an expensive machine and at least one extra man on the crew to use it.:idontgetit
the reason i've been told was you have the buggie feeding the paver instead of the trucks so you don't have to stop. with the paver full than the buggie full theres time to shuffle one truck out and line the next up, you dont want to stop because the screed on the paver will settle leaving a dip in the road suface. so no stopping, no dips hope that helps
heres a couple videos i found this is the way it gets done in these parts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW6gW24vlIE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGgZEOqOmQ and this feeder is used with the bottom dumps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tPwloIeNtM enjoy
Thanks Jimmyjack. I've always made it a point to stay as far away from the paving crew as I could. I was always afraid I'd get stuck on a roller.
I heard that! Me and hot asphalt just don't jive to well. I have the utmost respect for the guys that work on a paving crew. All I need to renew my respect for hot mix is patch a few holes every few years or so. My fear is the shovel!
I buy your explanation for the buggie. But u wount find one of those here around. Then i see the need for one when u pave like shown in the video's. In Norway the paving trucks normaly are the same gang year after year. So they got a second dumpster for the truck. This asphalt dumpster is rounded and insulated with a tarpoulin roof. This way u get a homogenious asphalt with the same temperatur all through. This way u dont need to mix it before putting it in the paver. Before theese came around u could look at the road and see on the surface where a new load was getting in the paver. Then all the trucks have radio controlled hydraulics on the truck. The paving crew got the controll. The trucker stops in front of the paver and the paver contacts with it and then the paver guys controll the tipping of the dumpster on the truck.(a switch in the trucks turn the radiosystem on when u are ready in front of the paver) The teams are so drilled on this, that there is no stop on the paver when laying it out. Have posted a couple of pictures of the equipment used. This pupp and the truck is a normal combination here around. Max total weight here is 110 000Lbs for the combination.(max legal) U dump the pupp first, another guy dumps his load while u park the pupp and then u dump the truck.
MKTEF - good pictures as usual. That is pretty interesting about the paver having radio remote of the dump truck. I bet those guys go through alot of training and work quite well together as a team. What kind of insulation do those asphalt dumps have? From the pictures it looks like an aluminum skin on the outside with the insulation between it and the steel body - similar to what I have seen. Those cabovers still look strange to me especially on a dump truck. I don't believe we have a new cabover Class 8 truck for sale in the states. Are these cabovers used in Europe for the increased visability/maneuverability? Now if I could just get one of those remote controll systems on the trucks we use dumping fill - the only difference I would want the ability to drive the truck when it gets on the pad. That way I could get the load where I needed it - instead of the wrong place the drivers usually want to put it.
Hey CM1995. I don't do asphalt work on a daily basis. So im not realy an expert on it. When we need some, we just get it in our ordinary dumper trucks. I know that there is 50mm/1,9inch insulation between the steel and the alu sheeting. And theese dumpsters is realy light. I should also point out that the round shape reduces separation of the asphalt too. The cabovers is a must, because of the length regulations in the whole europe. There is a max lenght on every type of vehicle and truck/trailer combination. A nose on the truck makes u loose 3-6 feet of loading area. The only guy's that can use a truck like yours, is those transporting goods that are heavy and have a low volume. There is a easier way than R/C controlled trucks. Show that u are the boss, and have some punishment "things" at hand. Works very well in the countries i visit; Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait... Seriously : Meet them at the gate and give them good instructions, and i bet they do as u want. Here is a story around that: On a truck stop her in Norway some Finnish truckers rolled in. They parked and they didn't lock their doors. Went inside and had a meal. They watched their trucks trough the window. Another driver climbes inside one of their trucks and snoops around...Ooppps This is not the guy's u want to fuss with. Guy's from Finland are known to have a short fuse. Four big Finnish guy's rushed out, grabbed the smart ass. Two guys holding his fingers on top of the front bumper. Third guy with a hammer. Ten blue ones before the let him go. I bet he dosen't do that anymore. We had a controll guy in the DOT some years ago. U know a pain in the.. yeah, i bet u know the type. He made everybody very angry and got a lot of complaints. Got moved from one district to another. He was beaten real bad by some Finnish guy's, they didn't axept his behavour. So he didn't stop any Finnish trucks after that. But treat them as any other, and they are real nice guy's.
chipspreader on demag-paver chipspreader on demag-paver from kirchner germany http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKXJmdkrCaA
Kompaktasphalt ( double layer ) two layers of asphalt in one, surface course on binder course with double screeds ( promotion video kichner germany ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EBsByuWquk
insert insert vögele 2100
How do you feed that hopper? It looks too high for a dump to work, or even a conveyor trailer.
insert they feed the paver with a roadtec shuttle-buggy
A couple of the bigger paving contractors around here use a similar setup. Joe
vögele 800 and 1800-1 vögele 800 and vögele 1800-1
A9 vögele 2100 and vögele 1900
paving in a tunnel tunnel paving in the roertunnel, roermond, netherlands
Realy nice pictures Stevin. U deserve a lot of credit for taking and posting all these nice pictures. :drinkup :drinkup :drinkup :drinkup :drinkup :drinkup Sorry that it's not so many pawers around here commenting your nice pictures.:cool2
paving in a tunnel navitronic sonar for width and direction ( vögele )
red/black/red red/black/red in anna paulowna, netherlands
vögele 1800 DE elektric driven paver with a removable generator on his back. this picture was taken about 10 years ago vögele 1800 D (iesel) E (lektric)
Beautiful work and excellent photos Stevin:thumbsup :thumbsup Thanks.
Hey Stevin. Realy nice pictures today too.:drinkup :drinkup A simple question: I see u use a roadtech buggie when laying. How is the temp loss when using the buggie? It makes u handle the asphalt one extra turn. I see u use tarpoulins on the trucks, but i bet u got to be real quick and get it into the buggie not to loose temp. On todays pics u use a small dumper to move the red asphalt. He is dumping real big piles in front of the iron. Ain't there a problem to keep the thicknes when doing piles like that in front of the iron? Again real nice pics! We apreciate them very much!:notworthy
Hey MKTEF The first two or three loads dumped into the shuttle-buggy must warmer as normal, wenn the shuttle-buggy is warmed up there is nearly no temp loss. The shuttle-buggy is mixing the asphalt so the temp. is equal and the mixture is equal of composition ( in the trucks you get temp difference and mixture is unmixed ) for a beter quality. We got no problem with the big piles of red with the thickness because the red is almost liquid, the black asphalt stipulates the thickness. Marco
With the two different colored asphalts being of different viscosity as you've stated, how are you able to roll them to the same thickness?
It gives no problem with rolling and it is just a thin layer ( 3 cm ) marco
Thanks for the answer Stewin. By the way, do you have any heating device in the buggie? I understand why you use the buggie. Around here we use special dumpsters on the trucks to cope with the differrence in the asphalt.(temp and separation) The us red river trailers is also growing in popularity.(transport band in the bottom) Very nice to keep temp, and they are superb in tunnels and under powerlines. And u get the asphalt directly into the middle of the feeder in the pawer. And as u say when the red asphalt is softer than the black its no problem with the piles. Todays pawers also got the stampede in front of the iron so it gets pretty well compressed even if its thinner than the black one. But only 3 cm, is it common to lay so thin layers by u? Bet it has to be old asphalt beneath.
looks comfortable nice machines
ZOAB ( very open asphalt ) is normaly 3 to 4 cm. There is a bindercourse below. doublelayer paver ( BAM ) in lelystad
That is nice equipment. The country side sure looks nice also. Are your rollers AC'd, do they have an air filtration system to keep out the fumes? Sometimes the steam off the material makes me want to vomit. I wish pavers had an AC'd cab. Are the orange suits rain gear? Telescooper
the rollers are not equiped with AC or cab air filtration, the orange suits are for safety. vögele 2100 at 9 meter
paving ect rotterdam paving containertermininal ect, maasvlakte, rotterdam
red met black shoulders kanaaldijk utrecht, vögele 1800-2
Very nice pics as always stevin. I realy appreciate the nice pictures u post here for us. Sorry that it's not so many others posting this type of pics.
red and black auger divider bucket with ahlmann as 150
Thanks for posting ! Always interesting to watch a paving operation.
Demag DF115C 2 new demag pavers
Nice pictures, Marco / Stevinmonteur! I spent a summer in Gemente Horst, Limburg, back in 91 or so, so the scenes from the Dutch countryside are refreshing. I seem to remember taking the train to Venlo via Venrey and then heading off on the intercity to Utrecht... I might have spied the asphalt you show from the iron road. I do remember that most of your roads are in an excellent state of repair, probably due to the number of bicycles (a/k/a taxpayers on slow inspection tours)! Anyway, they are "upgrading" the nearby US highway to near-Interstate standards (thanks to our Congresscritter's years on the transportation committee), so I hope to take and post some paving pictures for you. They just started this summer-long project and I got to see some shuttlebuggies in use for the first time -- this thread was great for info, so I knew what the advantages were! The last section that was done, they extended the shoulders and added two or three courses of asphalt over the new, wider road... can't remember if the old road surface was left intact underneath or not. Anyway, I hope to provide some pics from Wisconsin, where we have two seasons, winter and road construction!
Hello BB64 some paving pictures from the USA would be perfect ! just finished the 2100 today, added two 75 cm extentions and the red insert. marco
heymans some pics I got from Heymans, NL there are some parts they don't want to be published
Marco, fantastic pictures as always.:notworthy
I know a few answered parts of the question already, but as I understand it shuttle buggies remix asphalt in addition to keeping a constant stream of movement. The remixing eliminates the cool parts of the truckload and gets a more consistent load into the paver. Having a hot, consistent mix ensures greater compaction and eliminates dead spots were cool asphalt went down and didn't adhere to the base or other asphalt. Shuttle buggies are on a lot of DOT jobs where there are strict specifications on compaction and temperature. Terex/Cedarapids has a paver that mixes in the hopper, but does not seem as popular as a Roadtec shuttle buggy around here.
Nice pics, Stevin. Since you seem to be our resident expert on European pavers, can you tell us some of the differences between European pavers and their American counterparts? It seems that some of the machines across the pond are a lot bigger. The biggest ABG can go wider than 50 ft while most American machines go 25-30 ft max. Are there any other major differences between machines?
Ya, me too. We mos dump straight into the paver. We don't know what shuttle buggies are.
Most of our equipment is pretty old, but still works fine. But seeing that red 'mack, makes me remember that they used a similar thing to prepare this country for the 2010 Soccer World Cup. Down in Durban, they made a lane for buses, and other public transport vehicles. it sounds as though it is working, but not sure for how long though. As for the Gautrain... lots of cat equipment though. Would like to get a slice of that pie!
I was wondering how does your paving mat last in europe especially in northern climates. What mix is used and type of quality control. Here our paving is not lasting that long and I was wondering was it the superpave or the shallow lifts.
nice pictures guys
I know alot has commented on the red asphalt but i didnt see an question or answer on how they make the asphalt red? Pj
Let's see any pictures of Distributor trucks from Europe.
Paving two colors black and red, and then the change yellow and red. YouTube - ATN Asfalttechniek
Great video, keep them coming!
Fantastic video's good to see how you guys pave and mill cheers Leroy
It's really neat to see but man does that seam like a lot of cost and wasted material changing from color to color.
Just to add to that, the Shuttle buggies remix with a special three angle auger at the bottom of the hopper. It gives a more consistant remixing of material and temperatures than the hopper inserts. It also keeps the paver moving, because you never have to stop to wait for a truck to back up to the paver and it takes away that "bump" that someone else mentioned. I think they say it reduces the number of trucks required too, but I'm not sure about how cause it seems like it only holds about a truck load worth. There are many DOT jobs where I think the contract requires using the shuttlebuggies. I believe Blaw-knox used to have the hopper mixers as well. Cool photos btw. Never seen anyone around here make such a wide pass with just one paver though. Don't you have to worry about the material at the edges not being as uniform?
hot in hot paving dynapac hot in hot paver
hot in hot paving top view hoppers, front screed is electrical heated, second screed is gas heated
hot in hot paving mobile feeder
slope paving strabach paving in belgium
vogele 3000 vogele 3000 with 16 ? mtr screed
paving in germany paving the A1 near hamburg for bunte with vögele inline and dynapac hot in hot
paving in germany some more
Sb250 testing the vögele SB250 screed ( 10,5 - 12 meters) after we mounted extra heating vögele 2100-2 ( groeten aan cees h ) with AB300TV
mobile feeder vögele MT 3000-2 feeder
thanks for the fotos. i am not a blacktop guy but enjoy seeing how you guys do it in europe. i was in alsace/lorraine last winter and enjoyed seeing the differnet excavation and trucking techniques. regards, cd
Great pics. I don't understand the 2 spreaders, one behinde the other? What is the advantage to that? muzy
Dude, these pics are amazing. I like that they grill on the side of the road. Europeans know how to do it! That machine is a beast.
very cool pic. why do you have to have insulated dumps? how far in the plant from most jobs?
Is there any thin lifts done or fibermat micro done in Europe