Hi there, I am going to be looking at some A30ds (there are 4 with hrs ranging from 12,000-21,000) that are coming up at auction. Is there a way to know if the transmission has been changed by visually looking at it? I know there are obvious things like paint etc but I was wondering if there was something more specific in the dataplate/tagging that I could check for? Also if anyone has any specific problem area things to look out for, I would appreciate the tips.
Part numbers on data plates are the key. As the transmission and dropbox are improved through Volvo's reman program, the part number changes. Getting to the trans part number might be a challenge. Belly pans are in the way. If I can find my notes. I will post what I have. It may be a day or 2
Took a look at the engine serial models. The 2004 was D9AACE2, the 2005 is D9AADE2 and the 2006 is D9BADE3. I assume the differences really only relate to emissions but does anyone know if one model is more desirable than the others? For rebuild is one of the engine models cheaper and or easier to get rebuild kit for? Also is their any quality difference between the trucks made in Sweden and the ones made in Brazil?
IIRC E2 is a nice simple engine. Parts are becoming scarce this is a tier III engine E3 is still a tier III, but it has I-EGR which is a goofy 3 piece rocker arm which is prone to failure. Those are engine model numbers, not serial.
Thanks, yes typo on my part with model/serial. Would the serial tell a further story of the engine that would be of any benefit?
No, model is enough. Neither one is a dud in my eyes. Are they allowing you to function test the equipment? I would, for sure, want to check play in the hitch. Beyond that the dropbox and trans were the weak links. Not so much in the 30 but the 40s. More abuse, usually overloaded beyond capacity. Does the bed have a tailgate, how about sideboards? Are the coolers packed with material or were they cleaned properly?
I will be able to do some function tests - unfortunately they won't let you drive them all around but just a simple back/forth. Link to the 5 below that are in the sale. https://www.rbauction.com/edmonton-...ONTON, AB - Feb 23, 2021&category=21908266152
As FWF says the E3 engines have a very expensive and slightly more prone to failure Iegr rocker arm. If you can see the data plates on any of the major components the usual rule is if the part number is prefixed 90 then its a Volvo reman part, so a trans would normally be something like 22648 but reman it is 9000022648 also the data plate normally has "Factory remanufactured component" on it. If you want even simpler and more reliable engines look for the earlier D10 engined ones serial number 10001-11999 or 60001-60093 or 70001-72999 not that many about as they were only made for a couple of years.