I thought I would share some pictures of the Hitachi we are putting a factory Hitachi 2 piece demolition boom on. When completed it will have a working height of 44’ with a breaker. I found the boom in California, brand new, all cylinders and plumbing for $14,500.00. Unfortunately it’s going to cost a little more than that to pay for the conversion process. We are adding 2000 lbs of counter weight, plumbing it for a rotating grapple, 1†lexan sun roof for greater visibility and had to line bore the main boom pins due to wear. I will keep you posted on the progress.
Wow, that's quite the conversion! Is this for a specific job, or something you find you need on many? Either way, keep the pics coming.
We have one job that this was based on performing, 500 LF X 42' high 8" CMU block wall to demo selectivly.
Sounds like youre doing pretty good with all the new equipment. If i ever feel the need to move down south i would have to give you a ring, I really like doing demo work, although everything ive ever done was just res. houses. would love to take on the big stuff someday.
The first picture looks deceiving the hitachi looks like a EX-150 I guess when you need a custom machine you need it built. Thats got to be expensive :bouncegri Make sure you post pictures of the completed machine :yup
Out of the Shop Here is the first look at the completed machine. We will be putting it to work Monday and I will post some action shots.
looks great now for the action shots
Where the rubber meets the road! We put the re-born EX 200 to the test today. A very cool piece of equipment to run to say the least. Hitachi did a good job on the design as the dipper cylinder is about 20% bigger than the standard boom but is valved for smooth operation and it has an incredible amount of power to push the breaker and hold it against the wall. I could get a pretty sharp side angle and keep the point against and penatrate instead of skipping.
So how does your neck feel after a day in that machine?
I was thinking the same thing. Time for a cab lift/tilt system. Either way, that's excellent reach for a 200. I watched a Hitachi 450 fitted with a high reach and just a bucket tear through a building. It seems to me that he had quite a bit of reach, but I don't think it was a whole lot more than you're getting with this setup which is awesome.
Hey, WaWrecker: Great action shots. Nice high reach, powerful demo tool. But I was wondering, why are the lights still on inside when you are knocking down the building? Just curious.
I saw that machine yesterday on my way to seattle from the lsland,it is south of the everett mall and close to I-5 right!. looked good :thumbsup minimax
We are only removing this exterior wall and gutting the interior. Its kinda goofy because the owner is only paying to have the exterior work done and to have half the first floor gutted, leaving the rest of the demo to the future tenants. I havent noticed any neck strain yet, that could be due to the fact I havent been in a piece of equipment for a year or two. With this new machine I wanted to evalute the operating stability and just get a feel before its released to the other operators for safety purposes. Hey Minimax, do you run Brokks or work in demo?
Ooops wrong building LOL...
Wawrecker, no I don't do demo( other than demoing little stuff with a mini-x) or run Brokks but saw your machine going down the freeway. minimax
I'm headed north in a couple days, will look out for your machine.
EX200 boom conversion Looks like a nice job on a good older machine.I'm wondering, how would a log loader boom work for something like this? I see the boom to arm pin mount is offset so you can bring the arm in for transport, but that would not be to difficult to do to the log loader arm. The reach would be real close to the same. I guess the reason I ask is, I have forsale a Young boom off of a Deere 790E and also a PSM boom off of a Hitachi EX300. They are both complete with cylinders ect. Any ideas?
We keep finding more uses for this thing.On this job we gutted a 120,000 sf store to the shell and had to remove these exterior stucco columns for a new facade. The face of these "columns" only stuck out past the wall about 2", just enough to get a tooth into. It works so well I almost hate to share it. I had 4 manhours a column in the bid with a 60' boom lift. We did 4 an hour with the Hitachi and no boom lift and no clean up or detail labor. I cant believe this boom sat in California at a dealer for almost a year and no one wanted it. Best $15k I ever spent! We are going to build a "Stinger" or "poker" for it with just a set of hooks on the end giving it a total of 60' to manipulate or pull items down.
Cool machine and great photos. It looks like you are really making hay with it!