Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What size machine to buy?

Silverado ยท 2007-01-29 01:07

Howdy folks! I'm looking to buy an excavator for the upcoming season. I'm a developer/builder, and the biggest problem I have seems to be getting my basements dug. What size of machine would you recommend as a minimum to excavate basements for houses and related utilities? About the max digging depth I'd encounter is 10'. Here's the kicker... I'd like the smallest machine that's feasible so I could use it for other residential type work which often entails tight working conditions. TIA for your input. :Cowboy

Replies19
  1. #1Countryboy2007-01-29 01:16

    Welcome to HEF, Silverado. :thumbsup I'm sure somone can chime in with some options as I just run the bigger stuff. Feel free to post some pics of what your working on though. :yup

  2. #2Ford LT-90002007-01-29 01:24

    If you are from Fort Mc Money :laugh Finnings is probaby the most closest dealer to you that is Cat, oh god I can't beleive I'am promoting Cat :bouncegri I also looked it up so Brandt Tractor has a dealer in Ford Mc Murray too so you can look at Deere as well. As for the size that will be problem it depends on how fast you want to dig the basement. A very common size Deere machine for residential construction is a 160LC which is a 16 ton machine. A 12,000lb size machine will dig basements but it will be awfully slow. A 18,000lb machine prolly your best bet a Zaxis 80 sized machine its large enough to dig a basement and relativly small enough to go into tighter spaces. Welcome to the site :thumbsup

  3. #3tylermckee2007-01-29 03:14

    sounds like you could be digging some pretty big basements. I personally wouldnt want to dig a basement with anything smaller than a 120. I worked doing the digging and backfilling in a development with all the houses ~10' apart small front and backyards. We used a 120 for all basement digs, backfilling, grading, everything up untill the landscapers came in to spread top soil. We eventually got a mini towards the end of the line which made some things a little easier. I suppose you could buy a big machine and rent a smaller one if/when needed, or buy a smaller machine and rent a big one if you have a big job. Just depends which gets you the most bang for your buck

  4. #4rino14942007-01-29 07:21

    IMO, the smallest machine to buy would be a 120.

  5. #5Nac2007-01-29 07:37

    Why dont you look into a Cat 314 (Zero Swing) Deere 135 (Zero Swing) Komarsu 128 or 158 (Zero Swing)

  6. #6Silverado2007-01-29 10:11

    Some call it Fort McMoney, others.... Fort McMisery :Banghead As far as in town, there are dealers for Cat, Bobcat, Case, JCB and Deere, so brand selection probably isn't an issue. We actually have a good relationship with Leavitt in Calgary as well; we just bought a Cat 262 and a Skytrak 10054 from them :thumbsup One of my subcontractors runs Deere equipment, and tells me that their excavators are basically Hitachi machines... I guess this is a good thing? What I hear you guys saying is that I need to go a little bigger than I thought. I can haul anything up to 15000lb with the trailer I have now; over that, and I'm looking at subbing out the trucking or picking up a different hauler to move the unit around... $$$$$$$$$

  7. #7CM19952007-01-29 13:33

    Hey Silverado- Being a small builder/developer myself, I started out with a 315CL (which I thought was huge at the time) and now I have a 321CLR zero-swing cat and a 325DL. Of course I started out digging my own basements and eventually got into putting my own streets/lots in. If you think you want to go deeper into the infrastructure development then my suggestion would be a 315CL. Although this is not a zero-swing it is a very good size machine for residential type work. It think it weighs 36K pounds +/-? The 312CL is also a good size machine for this type work. I hope this helps out - just my 2cts.

  8. #8Ford LT-90002007-01-29 13:51

    I heard that some of the long time Fort Mc Murray residents didn't like the big change it went from a small Northern community to a oil town. If you have good relations with Cat rentals try rent a 16 ton excavator and see how well it works for your needs. I wouldn't let the means of moving the machine around limit your choices. A 16 ton machine is easy to get moved because all you need is a tag trailer behind a gravel truck. Start getting into the 200 sized machines (20 ton) then your going to have a lowbed moving you around. Many contractors on the West Coast have a independant lowbed company move their 200 sized machine to the different sites the customer pays for move in. Quicker you get the basements dug quicker you guys can get the houses built I imagine the shortage of houses in Fort Mc Murray must be in the hundreds.

  9. #9Silverado2007-01-29 15:33

    The boom's been going on here for years, but there are still some residents in the community with a serious case of NIMBY LOL Now that you mention a dumper/tag setup, I'm not so concerned as I believe a DT is in the cards sooner than later. You can only scramble so many times to find someone to truck you drain rock at the last minute before you learn your lesson... :Banghead

  10. #10biggixxerjim2007-01-29 17:19

    A 120 to 160 sized machine is the best bet.... if mostly you are concerned about getting a basement dug, then err to the larger side. And Id stay away fro mthe ZTR machines; unless you really need the clearence in the rear (95% of the time in residential, you don't) you pay for it in over the side tipping rates. A big bucket of wet soil way of the side of any low clearence machine will have it tipping.

  11. #11CM19952007-01-29 18:49

    You not only pay for performance in the side tipping but you also pay more $$$ for the same size machine. Parts are also more $$$ for a non-standard machine. Parts for my 321CLCR are at least 30-40% more than a 32O and you have to wait forever to get them. By the way hire out your lowboy moves. Much cheaper than owning a lowboy. We move up to D6N and 953 with our tag trailer and dump truck. Everything else is moved by others. It costs about $250-$300 per move around town (30 miles MOL)for a 325. I would definetly recommend a dump truck. It is the most profitable piece of equipment I own.:thumbsup If you go with a heavy tag trailer I would suggest air/hyd. operated ramps. Those heavy duty ramps can be a bugger to lift by hand.:Banghead

  12. #12TRACKHOE712007-01-29 20:15

    I would agree with everybody else on here the deeres are a very good machine, the cats are too. both well balanced, very powerful machines i ve ran a couple of 160s deeres and a couple of 315 and 320 cats, i liked them both. but its all about how the salesman treats you i guess and who can get the parts faster, if need be , imo there both outstanding machines!

  13. #13Gmads2007-01-29 23:28

    Check out the Takeuchi TB1140. I bought two of these to dig against walls, but have found them to be extremely capable all around machines. They spec out at least as well as a CAT 312CL (a little less in dig depth but still practical to 15'+). They use the same Isuzu motor that's in the Hitachi, come standard with a blade, and have a slewing boom that pretty much allows you to do what a zero tail swing does without losing over the side lift capacity. They are also much cheaper than a CAT or Deere. So far we've been really happy with them.

  14. #14Osborne ent.2007-02-01 01:38

    me 2 Silverado I understand your situation, Im also in the same situation. I have a 580k backhoe which is great this year im getting more aggresive so I really need an excavator. All I have to pull one with is a 2 ton dump. Ive been looking at the 75uu Komatsu and the 307 cat. A new machine is out of the question and are some good deals on used machines of the mentioned size. Im hoping to sub out my bigger machines or rent for know. Have you looked at these machines Im curious what hours would be best to buy at in this size. I like the cab on the Komatsu better. The machines look quiet similar in size and ratings. The komatsu 128 would be great to have. But if ive have to pay someone to move it might as well move a bigger machine like a 312, 315

  15. #15CM19952007-02-01 10:48

    Just a thought- One thing to consider about buying used small excavators is the "gray market" machines that are out there. Like the blue Kobelcos, purple Komatsu's or the Cats that have Rega on them. Some of these gray market machines are not up to US requirements for emissions and safety issues, also parts can be hard to come by. Probably everybody knows this - just my $.02. Later

  16. #16Silverado2007-02-12 11:00

    Thanks to all so far... some really good information here for a dumb carpenter to digest LOL I'm definitely leaning toward subbing out the trucking of the machine, and buying a dump truck and pup. Everyone I talk to up here says that the DT is the money maker for sure. Thanks again, and I'll stay tuned to HEF for more good info! :Cowboy

  17. #17ctkiteboarding2007-02-18 22:51

    heres my littler machine case 9010b,,, i was working w a 580 for years until i grabbed this case , i love the blade and thumb, both are must haves if you have one machine for most of your work, good luck 26k or larger i say

  18. #18sleded7002007-02-22 09:56

    If you are in FT Mcmurray, you should should definitley be looking at teh CAT 315, Finning is the largest CAT dealer in the world , they have 3 locations up there and they have excellent parts and service capabilities. The 315 also has a larger engine and better pump set up than the Deere or Komatsu so if you decide to diverse later on there are more things you can do. Finning also offers a 3yr / 5ooo hr warranty with their machines so you have a long period of time basically worry free, Most 315's I have seen tend to go to the 15000 hr mark without a whole lot of major work or component exchange. And then you have to look at the resale value in 3-5 years vs the other 2 majors and you will see that the CAT is also an investment rather than just an aquisition Good luck

  19. #19CM19952007-02-22 11:24

    Right on:exactly