Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ex120-2 Greaseable Pin

JDCrow · 2023-04-22 08:38

On my EX120-2, there is a thumb installed by PO. The stick/bucket pin is therefore longer, and there is no way to grease it. Any recommendations on where it get a pin with a greaseable end zert? Looking over the interweb, most sites are kinda vague, so if someone has a real person they’ve worked with that would be awesome. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1skyking12023-04-22 10:14

    My thumb install has a drilled pin, that is odd you don't have that. I bet it is a replacement that somebody just cut. Does it have a flange welded on at one end, and a plate to retain the other? EDIT: My Deere dealer cut a plain pin for the tops of the cylinders for me. Have you asked the Deere dealer near you?

  2. #2excavator2023-04-22 11:19

    Are there no grease zerks on the stick? A drilled pin is significantly weaker and especially on a bucket/thumb pin it causes the pin to break. I would look more at installing zerks in the stick and thumb if they are not already there.

  3. #3skyking12023-04-22 11:31

    I've never broken a pin, and I am far from gentle when there is work to be done. Wear them out, yes.

  4. #4JDCrow2023-04-22 12:21

    Yeah no zert in the stick. The pin is just a cut pin, it’s actually a bit to long. Has a welded 1/2 round stock one end and a hole with a bolt on the other end.

  5. #5JDCrow2023-04-22 12:22

    The thumb has grease fittings, so the ends of this pin get grease, just nothing in the stick.

  6. #692U 34062023-04-22 12:43

    If your pin is not worn too bad a machine shop could drill your pin. Probably have it done quicker than ordering one.

  7. #7JDCrow2023-04-22 12:48

    So drill down the center then drill hole on the outside of the pin into the center? The pins I see online have bigger “slots” on the sides.

  8. #892U 34062023-04-22 12:54

    They could probably machine a groove in there with a milling machine. Bet they could do the work in an afternoon.

  9. #9Shimmy12023-04-22 12:57

    I'm guessing he should just send them the measurements he wants, pick it up when done and swap it out. Probably get a set of stick bushings on order too.......

  10. #1092U 34062023-04-22 13:05

    That's another option. Last place I worked the local machine shop built us pins and bushings all the time. They were flat out busy all the time so it usually took a week before they could get to our order. Once they started on it they'd have a set of pins done in an afternoon.

  11. #11skyking12023-04-22 13:15

    Those pins are induction hardened after machining. They are no fun to try and machine post-hardening.

  12. #12excavator2023-04-22 16:30

    It's probably not that common but in 30 years of equipment repair I've replaced quite a few broken pins caused by this.