Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ex120-3 beeping with key off

magnonc ยท 2018-04-11 07:35

I inherented this machine from my old boss from ten years ago that now subs work out to me. I have done lots of work to this machine over the last ten years, I was telling him I no longer wanted to deal with it so he told me it was mine to keep. As soon as you try to start it looks normal on the dash and led button lights. Then when you turn the key to off, everything remains on except for dash lights ie oil pressure, glow plug light area then a constant beep until you disconnect the battery. I'm sure it's probably wires shorting in the harness but I really don't want to spend several thousand on a harness and still have the electronics nightmare these machines are. I'm inclined to convert this machine over to manual hydraulics. Does anyone have a clue if it is just one circuit causing the problem or if anyone has a wiring schematic for the engine.

Replies7
  1. #1mikebramel2018-04-11 09:10

    If everything else works... turning the battery disconnect is your cheapest option

  2. #2magnonc2018-04-11 09:17

    I'm sorry I didn't say that it will not crank over.

  3. #3Ronsii2018-04-11 09:39

    I'm sure he meant install a battery disconnect switch, it will be the cheapest simplest option....

  4. #4magnonc2018-04-11 09:48

    It will not crank at all through the ignition switch, I was hoping for a schematic. I found one for a 200-3 which I hope is pretty close and I'm going to start diagnosing the starter circuit. My only concern is once the start issue is addressed is the constant beep while running.

  5. #5ATCme2018-04-11 18:32

    I had that happen on my 60-3. Dash lights stayed on and a low faint buzzing noise along with my electric lift pump. From time to time i would have a no crank situation but if i rapidly turned the key from start to run it would catch and start. Turns out solenoids left out in the cold wet environment for a long time without use can get stuck or not work properly. Once replaced and protected from the elements mine worked fine. I have also seen bad alternators back feed and cause dash lights and such to stay on.

  6. #6Ronsii2018-04-11 19:24

    The schematic on here for the 200 is virtually the same, a couple of things it could be... bad diodes(behind seat boom side) there are a few of them, bad master solenoid( most likely not but can't hurt to check), bad load dump relay/system(this circuit keeps voltage to the computer even with the key OFF, it's to protect against surges and other issues that could cause computer failure... the beeping you are hearing is the warning for low oil/coolant going off!! it does this because it still think the engine is on and seeing no oil pressure it starts warning you lots of things can keep power on it's just a matter of eliminating the ones that ear not causing it a bad key switch(or the harness going to it((it gets stretched))) is also high on the probability list. EDIT: did I just read it will NOT crank? most likely issue is bad alternator if wiring is still stock as it uses the alternator to provide a ground for the starter solenoid as a safety so you can't crank while the engine is already running. could also be key switch,starter,starter solenoid,etc... EDIT2: the more I reread your symptoms check the alternator first if someone hotwired it to start because the alternator interlock failed then there is a good chance that is causing the voltage hold on to set off the alarms.

  7. #7John C.2018-04-15 14:48

    There is a metal strip that connects all your glow plugs. See if they shows signs of being burned. If so disconnect it from the plugs and check each plug with an ohm meter. They usually fail be shorting through and the current draw will heat up that bar. A bad plug will usually show as no resistance when checking with an ohm meter. There is a fusible link by the batteries that feeds that circuit. If a plug shorts through it usually smokes that link. There is also a diode in a wiring harness behind the operator seat. You have to remove the plastic covers to get to it. The last one I found was on the operator's left side when sitting in the seat.