Got a ex120 with possible fuel problem. Runs good for bit then stubbles and will barely idle. It did have collapsed fuel line. Put inline pump on as well and it's pushing fuel. Seems to be worse in winter. Also runs outa fuel at half tank even tho it's half full. I'm lost.... Looks like simple engine. I disconnected the roll over shut off or what ever that other cable is. Please help!
Inside the end of the fuel line there is a plastic strainer insert that becomes clogged with dirt/rust from inside the tank, you need to unscrew the fitting from the fuel filter and remove/clean the insert... this is the most likely cause, there could also be something inside the tank clogging the output to the fuel line not to mention the filters themselves.
I hear lots about this filter... I believe it is removed... Is it on intake to filter banjo? Is it visible? Because I don't see anything.... Is there one at injector pump?
Do the old EX series use the same electric lift pump as the ZX series? Looks like a metal tube about 4-6" long IIRC. Inside the bottom is a mesh strainer I have seen become plugged solid because it gets neglected. Also some of the Isuzu diesels have a strainer attached to the banjo bolt on the injection pump inlet (or outlet, been a while lol) that I've seen get some junk on it.
I am interested in the "runs outa fuel at 1/2 a tank even tho its half full" I have a fuel issue on mine. I am about 1/2 full now and it will run for a bit then start acting like yours, even get to the point where it does not want to start back up after a stall out. Let it sit for a few minutes and it will restart. Where is the fuel pickup located and how does it route out of the tank.
The strainer Ronsii mentioned is on the inlet side of the primer/lift pump inside the banjo bolt. If every thing else is good then replace the plastic valves in the lift/primer pump. They get pitted and won't seal.
I have what appears to be an EX 120 (that is, no "1" or "2" after it). Similar fuel problem. After fuel cap was stolen and water got in, I drained the tank, mopped the floor, replaced with 25 gal clean fuel, it ran for 2-3 hours normally under medium load then quickly lost power, stalled a couple times and now won't start. I can't see the lift (low pressure) pump anywhere, and no fuel is coming out of the hose where ithe line enters the sediment cup (earliest location I can find to open after it leaves the tank), and I don't know what or where is the "banjo bolt." I need a manual but there are numerous versions on line in all prices and some seem bogus. Can somebody advise me how to clear the line the entire way, or where is lift pump and what's the banjo bolt? Thanks very much.
The feed pump is bolted to the side of the injection pump.. Follow the lines FROM the injection pump BACK to the lift pump.. The banjo bolt is located BELOW the hand primer.. it has a filter screen inside of it. To clean, unscrew it from the banjo bolt.. blow off & reinstall.
A banjo bolt is a hose connector like you find on brake hoses at the caliper if you do auto work. It's a round end that a hollow bolt goes through, the round end looks like a banjo. The banjo bolt on the intake is pointing straight down, and underneath the injection pump (actually on the bottom of the priming pump if you can find the priming pump). The priming pump is mounted low on the side of the injection pump and has a 1' knurled round handle that unscrews, pops up and you pump it to prime. Follow the line from the sediment cup, it should go to the banjo bolt on the priming pump, then to the filter, then to the injection pump.
That's extremely helpful as well as fast. I know the hand primer and have used it. Anything below it will be tough to reach but I'm heading out to the site now and will try to follow your roadmap. Will let you know. Thanks so much.
Any of you guy know if the manual hydraulic kit works to by pass hydraulic computer on ex120~2
Update: I followed your advice and found a badly (totally) clogged screen inside the banjo bolt at the intake to the sediment cup/water separator, cleaned it thoroughly, then removed the banjo bolt at intake to fuel filter (no screen), and then the banjo bolt beneath the priming pump (no screen - not designed to take one). Closed everything up, pumped the primer a couple hundred times with first injector cracked, turned it over and fuel squirted out, closed that up and she started right up. Worked it for 45 min at moderate load, everything worked. Thank you, thepumpguysc and tool_king for all your help. I couldn't/wouldn't have done it without you.
That's GREAT NEWS.. Its always nice to hear a success story.. Now you know alittle bit more about your machine.. its a good feeling.. Happy digging.. TPG
I'm a little suspicious of the screen on the intake to the sediment bowl/water separator. That doesn't make any sense to me, I wonder if somebody thought they knew better and swapped the bolts between the priming pump and the sediment bowl? or just did it accidentally at some point? If the bolt is the same size, I'd switch them back, so the junk goes into the sediment bowl where it belongs and won't plug up, and the tiny screen goes before the transfer pump just in case.
I understand. I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable. But if that kind and amount of gunk is (or was) in the tank and it goes thru the sediment bowl, I assume it'll keep going (at least the stuff that looked like fiberglass insulation!) and end up wherever the screen is. Would it really be any better for it to travel further? I'm also wondering it if would be better to try to find another (threaded) banjo bolt that accepts the screen and have two of them, as people say it should have had? If so, where would I look for another screened banjo bolt?
Alternatively, could I put an in-line filter between the tank and the sediment cup (and swap the banjo bolts as you advise)? I just need to find out what kind of filter I can install there. I'd prefer one that you can see inside and clean out, and thus monitor its condition.
Use can use a BF7863 filter has 1/4 / 5/16 in lets and out lets which is larger than the banjo bolt screen or wix 33972 which has 5/16 inlets and out lets .Now this is the longer version BF7850 8 1/8 long has 5/16 and 3/8 inlets and out lets
What kind of sediment cup/water separator do you have? Being able to see inside and clean out fall under the job of a water separator to me. Is there any screen in there?
Most of this Hitachi's like that only had a water bowl with no screen in them.I asked myself that question many times why not .I have even seen in a JD135D and 225D machines which yellow painted Hitachi's .Parts book does not even show a screen for it .
Thanks. Is that the usual location for the banjo bolt screen too? in the inlet to the water bowl?
The first one is in the water bowl inlet banjo bolt .I have see them on the lift pump inlet like on the 225D machines .And you might find it on the inlet to the secondary fuel filter inlet banjo bolt .
I agree with tool_king. I've seen them in all those places. One thing you have to keep in mind on gray market machines is that they were built for places with pretty rough conditions and some pretty rough personnel to run and keep them running. I'd be careful about the in line filters you get from an auto parts house. The ones made for gas are just paper and any water in them at all makes paper swell and choke off the fuel flow. Ran across this on Dresser dozers. They had what looked like an in line filter that was actually a brass screen inside. You could blow backwards through it and go back to work. The paper filters would just kill the engine and leave people scratching their head because they just replaced the filter.
Yes I have seen that may times to .Gas filter in diesel applications. I have seen the rung out like a towel inside the can or vacuum will pull the media up plugging off outlet .That is why said these filters do to them have nylon screen and you can see flow .I have used many of them .