Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EX120 Lights

Matty ยท 2011-10-05 15:38

Hey Folks, I have an EX120 with 4 mounts on top of the cab that look like they are made for lights... this would be great as up here in the north we get very little sunlight this time of year and the single light on the machine just isn't enough especially when you want to see what is behind you. I know the system is 24v, but can't find any lights for this thing out there... also, where would these wire into for the console switch or should I just go off the boom light? Any thoughts / ideas would be helpful. Thanks, M@

Replies5
  1. #1danc2011-10-05 17:22

    if you find 12v lights that physically fit go get them, and replace the bulbs with 24v items. just don't go over the recommended wattage for the lights you choose don't touch the glass of the bulbs when changing, esp if they are halogen I'd imagine the boom and toolbox light are on the one circuit, so I'd run seperate cabling into the cab. does the existing switch have 2 on postions?, if so I'd wire it as follows from OFF: pos 1 boom/toolbox light, pos 2 ALL lights on use the switch to run a relay if one isn't there already

  2. #2Matty2011-10-05 21:55

    Thanks for the info.

  3. #3kenworth2011-10-05 21:56

    Hi Matty, The tabs on the top of the cab are actually used for lifting the cab off of the machine but they make a perfect place to mount lights like you want to do. I would recommend using these HOBBS Brand Lights they are 24 Volt for your machine. These lamps are bright, very tough and only draw 2.5 Amps each. I have used this brand of light for many years on lots of machines with no problems. John Deere and Case Equipment Dealers usually sell these or you can order them from translectricinc.com. I would not wire them into the machines console electrical system to eliminate having any problems with the factory wiring or computer. I would get a heavy duty toggle switch, sealed in-line blade type fuse holder, and a sealed relay with a mounting tab to wire up your lights. Waytek has all the stuff you will need http://order.waytekwire.com/CGI-BIN/LANSAWEB?WEBEVENT+L05691F382BC162016651001+M50+ENG Tap off of the battery solinoid in the battery compartment on the keyed side of it for you wiring circuit, this way the extra lighting circuit will only work when the key is on and you won't risk dead batteries if the switch is left on accidentilly or by vandals. I hope the links I have put in work for you, if they don't let me know. It was my 1st time putting them in a reply. I hope my info helps you with your project and if you need more info contact me. Gary

  4. #4Matty2011-10-12 14:14

    Gary, Thanks for the response. I was able to follow the lights link, but not the switch link. Can you give me the item number(s) you were referring to on that site. Couldn't find them hunting around. Matt

  5. #5kenworth2011-10-12 19:35

    Hi Matt Got your message today about the parts. I will get you some part #"s. Gary