Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ex60.

Brown343 ยท 2013-07-14 21:53

I have a grey market ex 60. Don't know anything else as far as whether its a -1,-2... But here's my problem. The hydraulics where whining while Runnin the machine. I changed the filters and went back to work. Then the swing brake wouldn't release, a few minutes later the left track quit working. Then the swing quit all together. Then all controls quit except for the right track. It works perfect. When you do any other control there's no load up or anything. It's as if its shut down. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Replies16
  1. #1mikebramel2013-07-15 19:15

    Check your pilot pressure

  2. #2Brown3432013-07-15 19:35

    Let me go a little further. Understand that I'm a farmer not a heavy equipment mechanic. I took the plate off the end of the pilot pump and the , what I think is the ends of the shafts, and they were not turning. I took the pressure side line loose and there is nothing coming out. Fluid is full. Is it possible that the shaft has broken? Thanks for te reply.

  3. #3mikebramel2013-07-15 22:43

    It is possible. If you have it that far apart can you pull the pump off and check the driven end of the input shaft

  4. #4Brown3432013-07-15 22:55

    If I'm understanding what the pilot pump is correctly. It's the outer most pump off the end of the main pump??? I've got to rig up something to catch the oil. If I take the lower line off it'll drain the reservoir. Thanks for your replies. I'm new to any kind of forum. Am I correct on this being the pilot pump?

  5. #5mikebramel2013-07-16 07:05

    Possibly. Can you take a picture? Do the lines off this pump run to your joysticks in rhe cab?

  6. #6Brown3432013-07-16 07:14

    It has two lines. A feed line out of the reservoir and a pressure line that runs through a small filter and then to a valve body under the cab which has lines from the sticks.

  7. #7Brown3432014-04-05 23:21

    I took the pilot pump off of the main pump and the shaft out of the main pump isn't turning. However I still have right track functions only. This all started when I changed the filters on the machine. I'm thinking it has some sort of clutch in the main pump to activate the pilot pump. Any help is appreciated.

  8. #8cutting edge2014-04-05 23:35

    no matter what vintage ex 60 it is, it will be a stacked pump. From the sounds of it, the coupling between pump one and two is failed. Might as well start draining the tank.

  9. #9Brown3432014-04-05 23:58

    Do you mean the coupling 'tween the main pump and the pilot pump? It good. Is here another coupling deeper in te main pump?

  10. #10Deeretracks2014-04-06 00:28

    Yes, you have 3 pumps. 2 mains and 1 small pilot pump. It is possible that one main pump isn't working properly.

  11. #11Brown3432014-04-06 00:33

    So I'm assuming that there is a coupler between the two main pumps?

  12. #12mikebramel2014-04-06 11:57

    Typically a pump this size would be a through solid shaft but a splined coupling say 2" long does happen

  13. #13colin walde2014-04-11 01:56

    I also have same machine 1987 EX60. it has a oil leak from behind the final drive sprocket. I removed the power head and found the seal (floating seal I think?) was damaged. Question is: is it likely that it just wore out (4500 hours on machine) or another problem with leaking from the power head.

  14. #14Brown3432014-04-11 08:11

    I have no idea Colin. I've never been in one. However I would say that it just wore out. I've seen seals go out on 700hr equipment. I've seen them last 10,000 hrs. You just never know.

  15. #15finaldrive2014-04-11 16:38

    The travel motor is most likely the problem. It is a chronic problem on this machine. You can search through old threads here for EX60 travel motor or final drive.

  16. #16Mike59vette2014-04-15 20:39

    Colin, I have a gray market ex60urg same leak behind sprocket. I removed the unit, dissembled the drive the large seal was shot, after some help from this forum got the correct seals. The unit lost all fluid 20+ gallons. Now my problem is air in the system. Have you got this far yet?