Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator bogging down

marshy ยท 2013-01-16 04:43

hello i have a komatsu pc220-5 and its bogging down with every movement of the bucket, could it be a solenoid any one please help

Replies23
  1. #1Per Eriksson2013-01-16 05:16

    Does the engine smoke when it bogs down?

  2. #2marshy2013-01-16 05:33

    no the motor has just been rebuilt it was bogging down before the rebuild aswell but when we rebuilt it it was ok then it has gone back to bogging down again ??

  3. #3marshy2013-01-16 05:36

    the engine has about 10 hours use since rebuild the engine free revs good we have checked fuel system and replaced fuel filter ect

  4. #4DM222013-01-16 09:08

    Have a JD 160C that did teh excat same thing. Simply drained watew separator and had no more problems!!!

  5. #5Scrapper2013-01-16 09:52

    Sounds like fuel starvation to me. Did you check the pickup in the tank for blockage when you checked the fuel system? Try blowing the line back with compressed air and see if that fixes your problem. If that fixes your problem it will only be a temporary fix until the pickup plugs up again. If that's the case you will need to remove the tank and try and clean out the rust and crude. Your machine might also have screens in the banjo fittings that could be plugged. Maybe someone more familiar with Komatsu can verify if your machine has them or not. Hose collapse? Weak transfer pump? You could try teeing a gauge in the line after the transfer pump and see if you are loosing fuel pressure.

  6. #6marshy2013-01-17 04:39

    we put a external tank and electric pump onto the excavator and its still doing the same thing

  7. #7Haddy2013-01-17 13:59

    Might be the hydraulic's . When it is bogging down , without operating any controls and if you run it at full throttle , does it build up pressure into any lines it shouldn't ? :my2c Haddy

  8. #8JDFG19742013-01-17 16:58

    Sounds like bad fuel or filters or collapsed fuel line . GOOD LUCK

  9. #9VENT MOBILE2013-01-19 18:58

    Is this electronic flow control for the regulators on the pump because it could be a an issue with a proportional valve or in the regulator itself or inputs for the computer like rpm sensor let me know

  10. #10joeblow2013-01-20 17:45

    Sounds like a fuel supply problem but it could be the hydraulic pump stuck in full swash.How many hours on the machine?

  11. #11Ryanrb252013-01-20 18:10

    ^ what he said Could be a stroke limiting valve....Basically the pump is pulling the motor down.

  12. #12joeblow2013-01-20 23:08

    Could be the swash /valve plate sticking from contamination or a stuck load piston.If it is not fuel than it is probably that.I am not a komatsu guy but if the machine has a lot of hours on it and the Hyd oil is old then. I would look there.pull the Hyd filter and cut it open.

  13. #13marshy2013-01-21 06:17

    Hello thank you guys for replying,the hydraulic oil is not very old, seems to be nice and clean,can u please explain were the valve is and how to check it.there is a electronic solenoid on top of the main pump which is bolted to the engine, not sure if the wires have been disconnected or not, could that be the solenoid you are talking about.

  14. #14whfh992013-10-28 20:11

    Did you ever figure out what this was? Working on a friends PC220LC-3 exhibiting similar problems. Been sitting for a few months, got it started then it died. I think it ran out of fuel so put more fuel in, bled the injectors and it's running and sounding normal. But the moment I hit any controls, it will practically kill the engine. I mean just trying to lift the boom almost stalls the engine from mid throttle. It seems more like a hydraulic problem to me than fuel as the engine sounds fine when no load is on it.

  15. #15joeblow2013-10-28 22:27

    If you ran it out of fuel and then bled it to get it started,it sounds like you sucked all the water and crap off the bottom of the fuel tank.Before you can diagnose the power problem you should change the fuel filter.It is your cheapest option.Are the pumps controlled by a solenoid?If so then check the wiring to them and the pump angle sensor.Check the fuses as well.If that is ok then it sounds like a stuck swash plate in the hydraulic pump.If the oil is old and it has sat for a while then the water and acidic crap has ruined the hydrodynamic suspension between the swash plate and the valve body which means the pump has to come apart.Machines are like old dogs and old wives;if you ignore them they will turn around bite you!

  16. #16whfh992013-11-03 06:54

    I noticed that someone has put an aftermarket electric fuel pump on this machine, thus bypassing the original priming fuel pump. It looks like a little diaphragm pump with no pressure regulator. Could this pump be going south and not providing enough fuel volume for the engine to operate under load? If this is a fuel delivery issue, it's going to be easier for us to service than the hydraulics which I have zero experience with (so far anyway!)

  17. #17joispoi2013-11-03 07:02

    Put a pressure gauge on the fuel line right before the injector pump. That will tell you right away if it's a fuel delivery problem. A gauge should cost less than $15 at Napa.

  18. #18whfh992013-11-03 07:40

    How much fuel pressure should I see at that point? I assume pressure (PSI) will be a good measure of fuel volume as well, correct?

  19. #19Richardjw~2013-11-04 07:38

    out of interest how do you set a machine up if this is out of adjustment?

  20. #20jadcalmech2013-12-15 00:21

    Hey guys it could be a couple of things there is screens in the banjo fittings and they are a little white colored screen they are very fine and plug easy. Komatsu uses three control valves they are NC/CO valve which is neutral control/cut out control on each pump and they both share a TVC valve torque variablr control these valves all have to be set with gages on unit and is quite the project. there should be a computer bypass switch on these hoes and that throws it into a mid mode and you can see what you have after you try that. Good luck

  21. #21paradise pete2013-12-15 05:39

    Hello everyone and seasons greetings, Im new to the site, I came here to try and get some knowledge myself but I couldnt pass this question by..I agree with jadcalmech.. I owned a pc200-5 that would completely bog down absolutely no power but the engine would idle and rev out like a charm..the problem was the TVC valve, as you open the pump compartment door its mounted on the pump starring right at you..I would check the electrical connection first, due to the age and all the heat these wires have seen they get brittle,(internal wire breakage right behind connector) plastic comes off or some genius dealer mechanic who should know better pokes a hole with a test probe in both wires directly across from each other which causes current to arc. When it comes to the tvc valve you have to get the dealer or someone with gauges or correct flow equipment to set TVC on the machine... I sold that machine a decision I still regret..Komatsu was trying to prove a point when they made the -5s...Yes I know it cant multi-task as well as the newer machines or as fast...but it was one of the best cliff-side machines i have owned when it comes to balance and reliability in which it inspired confidence to go further down the slope...If i could find one in more or less excellent condition id probably buy it even though the -3 parts line has been discontinued by komatsu and I guess the -5 is next in line.......Question..Is your muffler in good shape?

  22. #22paradise pete2013-12-15 06:06

    I asked about the muffler because I have a pc220-6 that would bog down a little bit and threw a good amount of black smoke....the problem was the electronic motor that moves the injection pump arm..The muffler was dead and dumping all the exhaust heat into engine compartment (everyone with a bad muffler change it now!!..you'll thank me later) the electronic motor may have a metal case but its just about all plastic gears inside.........So to my amazement the problem went away when I changed the unit!!..At the time I just could not see that unit being my problem, Maybe a bad turbo, clogged filters, bad fuel or fuel delivery, something on the injection pump, but not that unit....I went as far as to buy a rebuilt fuel pump and injectors for that machine that I never used and is sitting on the shelf to this date.. But first check your wiring to the unit, like I said before due to the age and heat the wiring has seen they have a tendency to be brittle so treat them with care! do not rough them up or pull on them like a mad man..Hope what I have said helps you..

  23. #23dozr2013-12-15 09:26

    CHECK turbo my 200 dash 5 has done this 2 times in its life