Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo EC160D?

jca57jd · 2019-04-07 21:35

Hey guys! Looking at buying me a 15 or 16 ton class machine. Was looking for a cat 315c with under 4000 hours but that’s been near impossible to find. The Volvo excavators seem to be good machines and keep a lot of people happy. I know the EC160C is a solid proven machine but I havnt heard much about the pros and cons of the d series. I own a small clearing and grading company and I’m wanting to add a excavator to my fleet to accompany my cat 953b on clearing and grading jobs. It’s hard for me to find a Volvo c series with low hours as well. Found a 2013 EC160D that has 2400 hours on it and it seems to be in pretty good shape but I know it has the dpf and regeneration system on it. This same seller also has a 2015 ec140e with 2100 hours for nearly the same price. - Are these models know to have any specific problems? - is this a good reliable machine that I can do basic repairs on in house and work on? Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-04-08 08:18

    Aside from regen problems, they are as solid as ever. Smooth , efficient and comfortable. That has the little Deutz engine. Very reliable. The burner and temp sensors for regen are the biggest issue. I know you mentioned not being able to find a "C" . That is what I would look for if given the time. The C & D are almost identical hydraulically, the difference is one has regen. Other than that, same animal. Good luck in your search and selection.

  2. #2jca57jd2019-04-09 15:51

    Thanks for the knowledge funwithfuel! Are you a Volvo mechanic? After doing some research I found out about a company called AKZO that offers a regen by pass module that makes the computer think it’s there and working but actually deletes it. What are your thoughts on this?

  3. #3funwithfuel2019-04-09 16:39

    You dont need that, it will cost you a fortune in the long run. The Gov't is reaching further and further day by day. You are too far away from Canada or Mexico to try n use that stuff.