Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Hydraulic Oil Overfill

MarineBoy ยท 2025-08-04 10:39

I have a 1993 Hitachi EX-120. I did some hose work and noticed I couldn't see any hydraulic fluid in the glass afterward. I thought I lost close to 5 or 10 gallons and it was already low before I started the work. After I put 10 gallons in I checked and I it was full beyond the top of the glass. Is there a big danger running the machine with the fluid being that high?

Replies5
  1. #1SLK0012025-08-04 10:47

    Did you properly configure the machine to check the oil (bucket full curl, dipper fully extended and boom down as far as it will go)?

  2. #2MarineBoy2025-08-04 10:52

    Everything was about half way extended before I filled it.

  3. #3excavator2025-08-04 12:08

    It would have to be seriously overfilled for it to be a problem. 5 gallons over shouldn't be a problem.

  4. #4MarineBoy2025-08-04 12:54

    I put 10 gallons in. I read that worst case it comes out of the cap?

  5. #5ps66x42025-08-05 09:17

    If you're worried pump some out or could you disconnect a small hose and let it drain in a bucket? On mine I have a petcock on the bottom for draining.