Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator Model Numbers

hiluxman ยท 2011-11-14 19:17

Why do some manufacers label there machine not in the regular North America standerd like the old link belt 2800s etc and case 9030 and Evan before they where worse like a case 1088 is a 200 class excavator and O&k is also weird when the rh400 came out I thogth it was a 40 ton machine snice it is labeld a "400" and Liebherr is also weird and Kato was the worst they are strange like HD1220iv wicht means nothing I think for a company to sell a excavator in the USA and Canada it must be relabeled a 200,300,400 LIke deere and hitachi

Replies1
  1. #1JimBruce422011-11-14 19:42

    While I'm not sure about the older linkbelt/case numbering. Remember Deere's used to use the x90/x92 (such as the 992's), which I believe was their weight class in pounds instead of metric tons. O&K first two numbers were the yard capacity of the bucket, for example the rh400 was a 40 yard bucket (average), it weighs 980-1050 tons. Course now it's the cat 6090... where the 90 is the capacity of the bucket in tons. Liebherr is in the process of updating their numbers I believe.