Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator question

Kev1481 · 2023-05-23 21:04

How many of you think that the excavator should be parked a little offset so you can easily get into the cab? Or Should you keep it straight so you can access around the machine?

Replies16
  1. #1mekon2023-05-23 21:26

    I'm getting old or older.Having parallel with the tracks makes easier for 3 point contact.

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-05-23 22:21

    What ever makes it easier to get in and out. A certain position may make it easier to grab a hand rail to help pull yourself up or there's a step on the track frame.

  3. #3Zewnten2023-05-23 22:25

    Operator I watched today used a bucket of dirt to make a ramp up to the top of the tracks.

  4. #4Kev14812023-05-23 23:22

    If your tracks aren’t wide enough for a step, don’t you have to turn the machine to the right a bit to have a step?

  5. #5Welder Dave2023-05-23 23:58

    It depends on what machine it is. Do you have an excavator or just wondering?

  6. #6Kev14812023-05-24 00:30

    I have a 120 Hitachi I’ve been on Other excavators Just wondering if it’s a good habit to put bucket slightly off to the right to climb in and out?

  7. #7Kev14812023-05-24 00:41

    Hi welder dave I have a 120 hitachi but been on other hoes and wondering if it’s a good habit to park slightly to the right for easy access?

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-05-24 01:40

    Why not if it makes it easier to get in and out. I turn the moldboard on my grader so I can step on the bracket for the blade extension when I can. There's no right or wrong way just whatevers the most convenient.

  9. #9Jimothy2023-05-25 05:17

    depending on size of the machine I would want to be able to grab at least one handle above me. And try to think about the next guy I’m tall and skinny some things are easy for me. We had one guy who was 400 ish pounds and often times he would just park beside a pile of stone or dirt so when he fell out he didn’t have to fall as far. In the words of Metallica …sad but true

  10. #10Syleng12023-05-25 16:37

    I've got a 120-2 and it is easier for me (50's with bad knees) to turn the cab slightly to the right to expose a bit more track for entering and exiting. But when the tracks are "Bon Jovi" I park it straight on. SN: "Bon Jovi" means Slippery when wet. Showing my age there.

  11. #11CM19952023-05-25 19:20

    Smart thinking.

  12. #12uptight excavating2023-05-25 19:26

    Not trying to stir the pot but why is this a debate? Just do what works for you and that's all that matters.

  13. #13heymccall2023-05-25 20:52

    The real question here is why do all my excavators, except Cat, require chrome in to verify hydraulic oil level?

  14. #14Steve Frazier2023-05-26 22:07

    I try to park at a bit of an angle to the tracks for ease of disembarking. Can't really do that on the trailer though.

  15. #15cuttin edge2023-05-28 19:14

    Any machine small enough to step on the track, I'll cant to the side, but larger machines, even then I'll leave enough of the track out to step on. If I get out of the grader with it running, I step on the moldboard and use it as an elevator to get out and in.

  16. #16skyking12023-05-28 20:17

    pretty much straight on with most machines, as the track is just another step and I go up and down facing the machine. Kicking it one way makes fueling it and checking the oil a bit precarious on the other side.