Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator steering issue

highlander 2 · 2018-10-23 08:34

Hello everyone. I am in need of some assistance. I have an old john deere 70D. I have noticed the right track has seemed a little weaker for a little while and had been assuming that I would be doing some final drive repairs in the near future. Instead of the right track just not working now, it is working in sync with the left track so that it cannot be steered. When the final fails on these things does it fail in an open position so that the flow is bypassed and both tracks work off the only working unit? Any ideas as to what to look for? Is this a final issue? Any help would be great. Thanks Also does anyone have a parts manual download for this machine?

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612018-10-23 12:09

    If you swing machine 90 degrees and raise the right track off the ground and operate the left propel does the right track move? Same test opposite side, raise left, operate right, does left move?

  2. #2highlander 22018-10-24 08:23

    I am not sure. I have the drive motor removed. I removed the final cover yesterday apparently it has been run dry for some time. Pretty much every gear and part was rusty and broken. The snap ring had come off of the spline shaft that connects the motor to the final. Pretty much a catastrophic failure if I have ever seen one. I am still not sure how the final went dry as I have never seen a leak. Any rough estimates on how much the replacement parts are going to cost me? Any recommendations on a reasonable supplier for the parts? New or used?

  3. #3mg23612018-10-25 04:52

    Sounds like you found your problem. Unfortunately you won't be getting any new parts. Parts for a 70D final are listed as obsolete. You can try Vintage Parts, H&R CE Equip Parts, Construction Equipment parts.com or some other used equipment parts supplier. https://www.vpartsinc.com/ https://www.hrparts.com/ http://www.ceparts.com/

  4. #4Vetech632018-10-25 08:19

    ^ What MG said...……...and get the part number for the complete final drive assembly and try www.flinthyd.com also.

  5. #5highlander 22018-10-25 08:54

    thanks guys