Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator stick length

D6c10K ยท 2022-05-02 18:00

I've been looking for a 130-160 size excavator. Some have 10' stick and some approx. 8 1/2' stick. Does it make much difference? Why would you choose one over the other? I can see if it has a quick coupler that would change the stick length a little bit and the lifting capacities are a little different. This would be for farm use clearing trees and would have a thumb, as well as general dirt work.

Replies8
  1. #1Acoals2022-05-02 22:19

    The shorter the stick the more digging power you will have, a longer stick gives better reach. Honestly either stick will work. I never really have had a choice ....

  2. #2skyking12022-05-02 22:29

    What he said. I picked short on the new mini, but in those midsize machines they came with what they had. The only real shorty I had was a series 6 Komatsu 400 thumb machine that spent most of it's hours on river levees with big ugly rocks.

  3. #3ecnorton20012022-05-02 22:47

    If you have a got a specific manufacturer and model in mind you can check out constructionequipmentguide.com, ritchiespecs or similar to check out the model configurations and the reach, digging depth, cutting height, etc.

  4. #4uffex2022-05-03 05:34

    Good day An increase in stick length will not be proportional to reach as the stick-arm is at an angle to ground level, if fuel consumption is of interest the longer arm requires more boom hoist to clear the dump. More boom hoist will require more fluid movement which costs fuel. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5skyking12022-05-03 09:55

    ^ well put. I do notice that in production loading. If it is a thumb machine and you are stumping or moving big rock, the long ones are weaker and awkward in tighter confines.

  6. #6KSSS2022-05-03 19:15

    I like the long stick 160's because the extra length is a big benefit digging foundations. That doesn't sound like something you do, so the 8'6" stick would be fine. The shorter sticks if you have a thumb and coupler are better balanced. As with most things there are trade offs.

  7. #7DGODGR2022-05-04 21:30

    My Cat 315CLC (the "LC" meaning long undercarriage) came with the 10' stick and a quick coupler (both add length, and reduce breakout forces). It has pretty good reach and I don't see it suffering for digging power. It is likely that any machine equipped with the long stick will also be equipped with the long undercarriage. Even so, be sure that it does because, as KSSS says the longer length stick will have an impact on how "tippy" the machine will be. The longer U/C will help with that, at least when you are reaching over the idlers or drive motors. It will not help when reaching over the side.

  8. #8Acoals2022-05-04 22:28

    I have the same machine, except my bucket is pinned on. Mine has the 48" bucket as well, 1.15 yards . . . A big load of wet clay and she'll want to take you for a ride . . . I have never had a complaint with the digging power, except that I always want more . . . but I do a lot of foundation digging and truck loading off a pile and demolition, so any shorter on the reach is going to be a pain.