Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Excavator track pins homemade press (pics)

cheddarbob56 ยท 2015-03-30 16:10

Hey guys - just thought I'd share a few pictures of my home made track pin press and installing a couple of new links in our old Cat 235 excavator. We torched the old ones out and put these new ones in yesterday with the home made press. Turned out great, the press worked flawlessly, at full capacity should be pushing about 60 tons which was plenty enough it seemed for pushing the new pins in. Enjoy.

Replies9
  1. #1nowing752015-03-30 19:05

    Looks good what size cylinder is in there

  2. #2cheddarbob562015-03-30 21:34

    It's an 8" bore x 9" stroke. I made it to have a replaceable end so I can push different diameter or length pins if the case ever arises. It runs off of a 12VDC elec hydraulic unit that puts out 2500 PSI max. It was plenty of push for the new pins we put in. I didn't try to push the old ones out just torched them before we had the press made.

  3. #3curb guy2015-03-30 22:13

    That's awesome! If I may ask, where did you get or, how did you make the tie rod bolts? How about a few close-up shots of the cylinder and brackets....Again, great idea!

  4. #4cheddarbob562015-03-30 22:42

    I had them machined at a local machine shop that has done a little work for me in the past. I'm a mechanical engineer for a large specialized semi trailer manufacturer by day so I have a little bit of an "in" with a few places and also access to being able to have some thick steel cut on a plasma table. The tie rods are 1-3/4" round 41L50 bar with 1-3/4" course threads. The base plate and plate opposite the cylinder that gets the pushing done to it are 2" T-1 steel and the guide plate around the end of the cylinder is more for helping locate the round tie rods is 1" T-1 steel. I don't have any other close ups right now but if I remember I'll try to take some and post them. Thanks for the compliments guys

  5. #5tctractors2015-03-31 02:40

    Bob, that is a good little outfit you have cooked up, it does seem well up to the task, I use dummy pins that fit through the pin bores and are about 60mm longer than the standard pin to ease the fitting up of the press frame on the back location, I would think you are making about 20-25 ton press loading to push home those pins. tctractors

  6. #6Randy882015-04-01 04:34

    Very nice looking outfit, thanks for posting it here for us to see.

  7. #7chris allen2015-08-05 20:56

    Boy that's an awesome set up there,,,,I've been thinking bout how to make one of them handy dandy, I am a field tech an one of them would make life easier, just hadn't took the time to think all threw an it hold up for yrs of use an it be safe to use . would love to have more close up pics an information to make one to have on my service truck or would love to buy it if you no longer need or use its, I break tracks an do pin on regular basis. Thx for it time an help

  8. #8norite2015-08-06 00:27

    I have been searching for a used enerpac hd push/pull cylinder at a bargain price, no luck so far. Never occured to me you could make your own. Nice work!

  9. #9DDoug2015-08-06 07:46

    If your shooting for 60-100 tons, remember you can always use (2) smaller cylinders next to each other. (might be easier to find) http://www.spx.com/en/power-team/pd-rt-17.5-100t-sa-da/ Make your head burnout to mount them up, the pin can go right between them.