Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pipe Plug Sockets

D11RCD ยท 2015-03-31 04:57

G'day all, I'm currently servicing a lot of equipment and I know that the Caterpillar machines use "Pipe Plug" sockets. Just wondering if anyone other than Snap On make them of decent quality? What do you guys use? Cheers

Replies6
  1. #1caterpillarmech2015-03-31 05:32

    Caterpillar uses 1/2", very few 3/8" and the rest are hex plugs. A good hex set and standard ratchets or breakers are all you need.

  2. #2D11RCD2015-04-01 04:22

    Hello caterpillarmech, That's what I am using currently, however I have been led to believe that using breaker bars/ ratchets in this manner (with the ball half out of the hole, due to the fact that it is a "pipe plug") results in costly broken tools. I probably should have made that clear in my original post. Please correct me if I am wrong though

  3. #3kshansen2015-04-01 05:12

    I agree using the breaker bar or ratchet in the square hole plugs can lead to the damage you mention. I believe the square sockets I have are Mac.

  4. #4building272015-04-01 22:32

    Yeah I was looking for some too recently but didn't get around to it yet. The place I was going to try was http://www.imperial-newton.com , haven't used them so if you do let me know. Thanks

  5. #5lantraxco2015-04-02 02:06

    Only if some ignorant Jack@ss has overtightened the plugs, or failed to use sealant or teflon tape. #2 permatex was a favorite for several decades, lol

  6. #6D11RCD2015-04-02 06:49

    Yep, that ignorant "young chap" shall we say is the exact reason I'm asking this question. Just about everything I see has been overtightened or is otherwise far too tight. Thanks for the replies guys, I've looked for Mac briefly but couldn't find much (in, or willing to ship too Australia) and also imperial-newton as suggested with similar results. Personally I try and avoid Snap On tools like the plague. If I don't like the way a tool feels in my hand and I have to use it all the time it doesn't make sense to spend money on it IMHO. However they are the only ones who appear to make a male 1/2" drive 1/2" pipe plug socket.