Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

excavator will not spin

mark mansa ยท 2015-11-03 22:17

gehl-192 mini excavator will not spin, took out swing motor thinking shaft was broken off but it is fine. with bucket off the ground you can spin machine around manually. any suggestions?

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2015-11-04 03:28

    Have you tried connecting the hoses to the swing motor and see if the motor rotates when it's out of the machine..? When you operate the swing control do the hydraulic hoses to the motor tense up like they are getting pressure..?

  2. #2mark mansa2015-11-04 07:05

    no I did not! But when I spin the motor it grinds can there be something wrong inside it? the pinion gear is perfect no wear at all?

  3. #3mark mansa2015-11-04 07:26

    the machine is a year 2000 with low hours on it I was told when I bought it the pinion gear shaft was broke that is why it would not spin oviousley they did not pull the motor out to check it!

  4. #4mikebramel2015-11-04 10:32

    If you can spin the house with the bucket in the air and the machine will not rotate under it's own power something is probably broken internally. Whether that is the motor shaft, reduction output shaft or the planetary gear sets inside the reduction box

  5. #5mark mansa2015-11-04 19:28

    response OK the gear inside the swing motor housing is broken at the top . do you know were I can get the gear made the company gehl does not have the part available it is 90 days to get new motor for 3k?

  6. #6mark mansa2015-11-04 21:15

    response OK the gear inside the swing motor housing is broken at the top . do you know were I can get the gear made the company gehl does not have the part available it is 90 days to get new motor for 3k?

  7. #7mikebramel2015-11-05 01:03

    http://www.butlergear.com/index.html Gear hobbing isn't regular machining. I don't know what the part looks like but I figure around $500 would be a reasonable number You may also want to contact Wacker Neuson to see if you can source the part through them

  8. #8mark mansa2015-11-05 07:30

    will call them today thank you Mike!!