I have a mini excavator thats burning as much oil as diesel. Going to replace engine but get many different explainations from engine salespersons. One even told me I'd have to pull it and bring it to them before they could order the new motor. Some kind of BS about being required to destroy the engine first before Kubota would send the new one. Anyhow, this has the D902Efs engine. Supposedly a special application for this excavator. Anybody have a suggestion. Can I replace it with the D905E engine?
Kubota's are usually pretty darn reliable if maintained properly. The D902 is in the BX line of tractor motors so there are a ton of them out there, however I don't doubt that the excavator specific model costs more and is more rare. Looking online I see D902-E3 listed as the motor... Are you sure the motor is toast? Was it poorly maintained? I would think either valve guides or rings for that kind of oil consumption. I would be willing to bet the heads on the BX is the same and thus you could swap in a head off a BX if that was the issue. A simple leakdown test will tell you valve guides vs rings pretty quickly...if the bottom is bad, refreshing that is likely pretty inexpensive compared to a new block. Just thoughts....
Some remans: https://www.pilotengines.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=d902&gclid=CjwKEAiA9uaxBRDYr4_hrtC3tW8SJAD6UU8GIKe3akD2ofXDi6wYO3BYX50mkn4Yu7-puR3fN_67-hoCBK_w_wcB
If it's a non EPA or an early EPA engine, it's not uncommon that a requirement of replacing the old engine is to render the old engine non-rebuildable. When I worked at CAT I saw lots of pictures of old 3306 engines where the blocks had been drilled with a hole saw through the water jacket. The rest of the parts can be reused, but not the cylinder block. Government.
If you plan on restoring compression, bear in mind that Kubota does not make sleeves to fit all their engines, instead they make sleeves that fit the block and not the pistons. They do this so that you will have to completely strip the block and take it to a machine shop to have it bored after installing the sleeves. It's a poison pill to discourage repairing the old rather than buying new. I don't know if that's the case with the D902Efs though.