Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Extendahoe Cylinder Removal

Bootheal · 2022-10-30 22:30

580M - have the cylinder out by watching YouTube and reading posts found on HEF. The two hose fittings needed persuading to go through the casting opening. Hopefully, pulling hoses back through doesn’t require a lot of pressure. Real question is greasing after assembly. I usually grease the extension often. Somewhere I was reading - suggestion was to not grease heavily….maybe use slip plate paint??? I don’t know what Case suggest doing. Any suggestions that apparently work? Also, while it’s apart, what determines if the slides need replacement. Here again, someone said to get a few shims. Where would you look for measurements that indicate the need for replacement (and how much to shim)? Plan to get HoseMate to fab the hoses. One video, the hoses looked to have stainless steel braid as the outer cover. Would / could this be more wear resistant? What would help protect the hoses over the pivot? They have a fiber sleeve on the original hoses…but that’s worn through also. Thanks to all for any assistance. Mike

Replies6
  1. #1Swetz2022-10-31 06:41

    I am not sure about the recommendation of Case, however, I have a New Holland 675E, and I use a spray on graphite lube, like shown below. I have also used the one that Tractor supply sells, however, I like the blaster that HD sells and it is cheaper too. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-5-5-oz-Industrial-Graphite-Dry-Lubricant-Spray-8-GS/202597501

  2. #2SlatcoAu2022-11-07 11:41

    On mine, I had to pull it apart as fittings were leaking. Did it in the bush by chaining the boom to a tree and then driving out from it. Replaced the hoses when I was in there as well. Not sure about over greasing, I have always made sure there is lots on there to help it slide. I think the sides have teflon plates that act as shims.

  3. #3Bootheal2022-11-07 13:33

    I’m grateful it wasn’t in the bush as you were. Similar removal of stick. Used tractor front loader to support, then lowered it down on blocks until time to reassemble. Hoses rubbed going over the pin. That’s a busy intersection but not another route so these are back in the same area. I also grease the slides - often. Will continue to do so. There was a fistful of grease at the tube end but the hydraulic oil was softening it up…trying to ooze out the drain hole. Glad it’s back together. So far so good. Seems like I’m using the extension a lot when I play so likely happen again.

  4. #4heymccall2022-11-07 14:37

    If on urethane slides, graphite lube only. Grease will attract dirt and become liquid sandpaper, significantly reducing the life of the urethane (sands it away), leaving the extension sloppy.

  5. #5gggraham2022-11-08 11:05

    To determine shims needed use an inside/outside caliper in picture. Measure the inside of the tube top to bottom then side to side. Now measure the inner slide top to bottom and side to side. Add shims as required. Conversely measure the slop before disassembly and a shims on assembly. The tube tends to wear more in the middle so it may be tight fully retracted or extended. Usually one shim added under the top and one on the side is sufficient to tighten the extendahoe

  6. #6Bootheal2022-11-08 19:20

    Your suggestion is exactly what I did on reassemble. I didn’t take measurements but just thought it had to have some wear. Two shims is what they had in stock! Thanks.