Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Extension Boom Stuck

PAULTY ยท 2020-01-24 10:50

Genie TMZ 50 Serial 5002-194 Boom extension was working great no problems, and then would not retract. Now no out or inwards movement, Tried replacing valve with a known good one at manifold, same with solenoid. Fluid flows to both side of the cylinder. When I disconnect hose. I have counter clockwise unscrewed the counter balance valve on the bottom of the cylinder unscrewed the Allen head valve out , but I cannot remove the valve totally Top valve on the opposite side of cylinder I have unscrewed as far as I can counter clockwise, now being stopped by the steel boom itself. I put a come along on the boom and tried to pull back in but without any movement at all. Any help or support would be very much appreciated, any tricks of the trade to pull the boom extension ? Thanks Paul

Replies4
  1. #1Delmer2020-01-24 13:04

    Just to get this straight. The cylinder started to not retract? but would still extend, and then later it wouldn't move out either? Did it move out only until it was fully extended? and now it can't extend any further.

  2. #2Bls repair2020-01-24 19:00

    Any thing getting jammed up in tube?

  3. #3PAULTY2020-01-25 09:57

    I was using it and it was extending and retracting fine, then I extended it out to reach an area and then when I finished and was ready to come down it would not retract back in. The steel box section stops me from removing the 2 counter balance valves but I can adjust the lower side one all the way in or out. I have disconnected the hoses and in either all way in or out I do not get fluid coming out of the cylinder nor when I put the come along on it does it move or fluid leak. I can't see inside the boom tube to look for a mechanical concern, but I also seem to not be able to empty the cylinder of fluid. Attached are 2 pictures of the Counter balance valves, no way to get a wrench or socket in there to remove,

  4. #4PAULTY2020-02-08 21:26

    Just to update anyone... I took the boom out and the cylinder out. Cylinder is 7feet long retracted. The cylinder would turn/twist fine but would not retract. I took both counter balance valves out and the cylinder would not budge. However I lifted it up and the weight of the ram moved slightly. the cylinder would then push back and emptied of the fluid. I believe the counter balance valve is at fault. possibly a small pieces of dirt etc. NO BEND In the cylinder. No bind in the boom. It does need new wear plates though..