Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Extra counterweight bolt spec

Lagwagon · 2025-02-16 21:07

I have an extra 1t counterweight to bolt on under the existing counterweight on a 21t machine. I have one existing 1inch hole available which I wanted tapping along with 2 more either side so the weight will be held with 6 x bolts. The local engineering shop said 1 inch is a bit big to tap considering they will do it by hand upside down. They want to do 3/4 and use a 1.5mm thread. Will 4 x bolts be sufficient to support the counterweight? The plate is 3/4 inch thick. In the pics the 2 large holes are for the main counterweight.

Replies6
  1. #1Shimmy12025-02-16 21:42

    I wouldn't be worried about 6 - 5/8" bolts holding 2000 pounds. I think the old IH 856 has only 4 - 1/2" bolts holding the weight bracket with 1000 pounds. The 3/4" bolts will be just fine. If you're worried, spread a bunch of silicone or gasket eliminator on before bolting up, really make it hard to get off for the next guy.

  2. #2Shimmy12025-02-16 21:48

    So, can I ask what you're doing that you need more lead in your pencil?

  3. #3Lagwagon2025-02-16 22:40

    Oh man you’re really baiting Vtech there! I’ve put a longreach on so need it for balance, it’s really sketchy without. Do you mean silicon oN the mating surface or threads? I was going for locktite on threads.

  4. #4Shimmy12025-02-16 22:50

    Yes, mating surface. In essence, glue it on. Most people would be amazed at the holding ability that silicone or gasket eliminator has. An actual OEM long front, or an extend-a-stick? Most factory long fronts go on an existing machine. If it's really sketchy, I'd be surprised if 2000 pounds makes a "ton" of difference hehehehe

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-02-16 23:07

    You could use Nord Lock washers on the bolts. They won't vibrate loose and easy to remove with no heat needed. Have heard Loctite isn't foolproof for vibration.

  6. #6Lagwagon2025-02-17 06:10

    Ive nearly tipped a machine into a deep dam that would have pinned me in the cab and it was the wake-up call I needed. This OEM boom and arm is a different ball-game and I’m not willing to risk it especially since I’ll be doing long runs desilting water channel. I’ll be sidecasting none-stop , it isn’t practical zig-zagging all day to get over the idlers and I’m also running a slightly larger than standard tilting mud bucket. Agree with the silicon advice, that stuff is awesome these days, thanks for the tip.