Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Farm work

Zac chandler · 2021-02-02 00:10

I have a fun farm and planning out my summer projects on a budget. My dozer bit the dust so looks like I’ll be renting this summer if I can afford it. I have a 11 acres if old growth cut over in river bottom sand. I want to turn into pasture. I’ve mulched it with a mulcher and most stumps are rotten however you find some hard as stone. I have a 4 acre duck impoundment I won’t to dig down 5 more feet to turn into a crappie and bream pond. I have about 1 mile of dirt roads That need to be graded out and slicked off. I own skidsteers my biggest being a 333g and mini x’s biggest being 27d. The question is do I rent a excavator like a 220 kumotsu with a thumb Or can I rent a larger dozer like a deer 700 and get it all done with that. Either rental will cost be about $7500 plus fuel for a month. Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1terex herder2021-02-02 07:34

    The old stumps won't bother the cows, but if you want them gone I understand. Around here you'd want to reseed the disturbance, YMMV. I'd want a hoe to pop those stumps out. 4 acres would be an awfully large pond to dig with a hoe, its going to need a dozer.

  2. #2Zac chandler2021-02-02 10:12

    I should have been more clear it wont be a pasture for cows. Its warm season grass project with strips grain planted in it for dove and quail. Your spot on with the pond. Even using my skidsteers thats way to much dirt to move. I wish i could get find someone with big pans but cant find anyone. Been trying for 2 years. Just a small job

  3. #3NepeanGC2021-02-03 15:37

    At 30k yards to move, I'd be looking for the biggest shovel i can rent. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with a 20ton class machine. I'd be after a 35-40 ton class. That and a haul truck. For the roads, I'd think that the 333g with a box grader or harley rake should take care of those roads in a day or so, depending on how bad they are.

  4. #4southernman132021-02-05 04:51

    I’ve heard it’s not wise to put crappie in anything under 50 acres. Just sayin. But yes sounds like u need a pan or like said a 200 class ex with a haul truck

  5. #5Zac chandler2021-02-05 05:12

    Man I don’t disagree if I you where growing bass. As the crappie take over. They also eat so much they can get thin. But I want to try it. I have a buddy with a 6 acre crappie pond and it’s pretty awesome.

  6. #6southernman132021-02-05 07:12

    Tenfo that’s just what I’ve heard from pond people. We’re going to build a pond here in sw Ga at some point. Probably about 10 acres. Good luck it’ll be fun no matter what u put in it!!