Bought a 1995 JD 655B that I thought was ‘ok’ on the u/c but turns out not as good as I thought. Previous owner rebuilt the tensioners and replaced the sprockets and some bottom rollers. The track pads are good but I think the rails are shot and it’s riding on the pins. The tensioners won’t hold pressure for more than an hour or so even after the rebuild and likely tied to pitting around the seals. Blocks had been welded in to hold them but one of them has come out. Trying to decide if I should replace the u/c or shore it up and run it out. This is a farm machine I’ll use around my house averaging 1 to 2 hours a week to build roads, ponds, and do general property maintenance and I plan to keep it indefinitely. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, previous experiences etc appreciated.
I would measure all the wear items (tolerances listed in the manual). At least, replace the rest of the bottom rollers and the track tensioners. Even in the best location, throwing a track is a major pain in the ***, been there, done that. Good luck.