I was wondering if anybody knows of any FA 262b's around anymore. I ran a few in the mid to late 90's up in Wis., but haven't seen any since. The company I ran them for has gotten rid of them(I think) and went with 627's. I've also looked on machinery trader and all they have for sale is the the 161, 260 and 261. I was kinda curious cause its the first scraper I ever ran and I liked them.
I talked to that company a couple years ago about buying those 262's they are very good scrapers especially if they have the cumming's power
262B's in Greensboro NC Hello, Every time I take a trip over to Raleigh from Asheville North Carolina I pass by a couple of 262B that are for sale near downtown Greensboro, NC. Their just past the Mack and Volvo USA headquarters heading east. Over the years their's been a couple of 31 fiat Allis dozers, and a bunch of other A-C, or Fiat equipment there. Last visit they had 2 or 3 more 262B behind the fence as well. John
Not over here They must'nt have been exported very much as we've never seen any over here (Australia) :beatsme
Fiat41b, Were they selling those machines at that time? From what I remember they did have cummins engines in them and I loved their sound. Last time I drove by about a year ago I didnt see any 262's there at all. Hopefully, they had good operators on them and are running somewhere. Sometimes I wish I would've endured the cold longer so that I could run them some more. Steve
Stepp3360, Good to hear that there are some out there still, don't know when I'll be up to NC to look for them. I wonder what they are asking for them? On top of that its pretty slow here business wise, but I sure would like to sit in one again. Believe it or not, I have never sat in a 627, but I have been in a 613 here and it wasn't too bad. I just really liked those 262's they were good strong machines, a little rough in soft areas but still good machines Steve
original 262bs had ac25000 engines@325hp in front ac 2000 engines in rear@200hp they were awsome buggies for moving dirt could bury a 627b
First good scraper I ever ran was an older model AC 260 back in 1957. Was the pride of the fleet alongside about 8 DW 10's. Later on I bought a 260 with the bigger engine and turbo. Had it about 15 years and did a lot of SCS waterway jobs, some up to a mile long. Most had a fall of .01 / 100' and it was the nicest outfit to cut to grade and finish with. Never had to use a grader. Would set an offset stake about 4-500 feet and check when I got to that point. It had a 5 speed fuller so lots of shifting, would doubble clutch and jerk the hoist lever to slow the engine down when shifting up and use the throttle when shifting down. 10 or 12 shifts per load and twice with the clutch each time and a 5 min trip made for a lot of left leg movement. Wound up with a new left knee and thats probably why. Big old orange piece of Iron and we nicknamed it "Tillamook" because it looked like a big brick of cheese. Fun Days.
I know a guy that has a couple of 260s here in oklahoma ifn your interested write back
Thanks guys for this thread-any photo's? Neil
wimpys in peachtree,nc has 4or 5 i think and all still run
Yes, I have a few pictures . Tried to post them. I can still run anything with wheels, tracks, levers or buttons but damned if I can figure how to post pictures on this site even following the instructions. Will try again after I cool down. I still think the 260-262,s were some of the best scrapers made and way ahead of their time. Hydraulics way before yellow ran out of cable. I saw a lot of guys who would try their darndest to tear up a piece of orange equipment but baby anything yellow. Guess it was a pride thing or something.
AC 260 pic Here it is finally. Got it posted on test and then would not let me put it on here. Still working on my apprenticship.
Nice looking TS260 - even got the cable apron which would make it pre-1966 How long ago was that photo taken ? Does it still have the A-C 17000 motor ? If its a recent shot the machine is in pretty good shape & not all beat up like some of them get.
I think the 260 was a 1964-65. It had an oddball engine they called the 19000. Basicly the same as the 17000 except it had a turbo and they shortened the throw 1/2 in and made the pistons 1/4 in longer. I think 779 cu in.Think they only made about 300 of them. This was a real problem when I burned a piston and none were to be found. Finally had a fellow weld it up with a heliarc and turned it back to specs. Wouldn't take any pay as he said it might fail and then I would be unhappy. He did say if it made one revolution it would make a million and he was right. Put many hours on it after that and never missed a beat. The picture was taken around 1994 or so. My daughter took it one winter day at the shop and had it blown up and framed and gave it to me for Christmas. Took it out of the frame and took a pic with my digital camera and thats what you see. Think I owned it from 1980-95. Was going to buy the mate for it at an auction, "consecutive serial no" and that morning my wife triped over the dog and severly fractured her leg so didn't get that done and long story short that pretty much ended my career as a contractor. Had to stay closer to home and farm and play in the dirt with a dozer etc. Sold it to a young fellow north of here and I think he still has it. It was an ex county machine and I got more spare parts than I could haul in my pickup So never wanted for parts except the piston.Had the only scraper for 40 miles around so work was never a problem. Pushed it with a HD 15 with a cable dozer and it too was orange so you could see them a long way off. Guess I probably would bleed orange as the first cat I ever drove was a Model M AC back in 1944. Owned them ever since and still have a couple. Sad when they quit making them.
I've always felt that the individual manufacturers of heavy equipment made a huge mistake falling for the "safety yellow" baloney in the sixties. Went from an era where you could tell who made what at five miles off, to today's world where you can't tell anything until you are looking at the manufacturers tag on the machine. The old Richardson Tractor Company out of Ft. Lauderdale sold scads of the 262 scrapers, and later on, after being sold out to DeWind Machinery, even more of the 261 models. They weren't perfect, but ran fairly well and moved a lot of coral sand. I liked running them. Lot's of contractors in Michigan ran 262's, then the 260's and 460's. Last 460's I saw running were on a section of US-131 north of Grand Rapids in the mid seventies.
Crayton, Thanks for the very interesting description of your TS-260. It made great reading. I don't have a great deal of seat time on TS-260's but I remember it being enjoyable
FA 262b's hi there I live in Alberta and I still run 262's every day. we have 12 of them as well as 2 260b's, one 161, one 263b, and one 260 with a 6000 gallon water tank. we have since repowered most of them with the cummins 855 in the front and a cummins L10 in the rear. we have also redone some of the hydrulics on them putting in a joystick to replace the original three sticks. I quite like it. and the cummins engines have be fantastic. the old engines were good but nobody makes a good headgasket for them any more and the fuel pumps are hard to set. the cummins engines are superior to them anyway, they start better, run cooler, and stay together better than the old 25000 and 11000's. these scrapers have been fantastic and we have owned many of them since new. it is too bad all that technology disappeared into all the new parent companies because they had a better design (and still do in my opinion) than cat. lower to the ground made them better on slopes and the angle on the cutting edge was far better for loading, they also handled better in tight spots. I could get some pics or more info if anyone would like.
Hello, fiatallisguy Nice to see somebody still using 262's. Could we get you to post a few pictures of your equipment. It would be interesting to see how the engine swaps look. Do you run any other Fiatallis equipment?
Would love to see pictures of some 260,s etc still running. Still think these were the best smaller scrapers ever built. Way ahead of their time and pretty tough except for the engines. Always thought about installing a Cummins but somehow made the AC engine work. Just a kid when I started running a 260 and got to do all the finish and fill edge work because they were so easy to control and you could see what you were doing. Still love orange paint.
FA 262b's I will for sure post some pics. Maybe in a week or two when things slow down for the holidays. Yes we still run some other fiat stuff. We have 3 FD30's and two FD30B's, as well as a fr15b loader and a fr12b loader and a 645 loader. we also have a 21C but it dosen't get used much any more. We also have some Allis Chalmers stuff that some of you might be interested in. they are just toys and a couple need to be restored but we have a HD 21 I believe is a 1968. we also have a TS160 scraper, and 360 and our favorite the big 562 scraper. we also have an old ts 200 but it is all apart.
Hi again in the last thread I said the allis chalmers were toys, I mean we just play with them and dont use them daily, they are the real thing, sorry for any confusion.
Hi fiatallisguy, I,d be keen to see some photos too esp of the HD21s and the 160. Own a 160 converted to a hyd scoop and a HD6ep too. cheers merv.
I just bought a 262b, and it has allis motors, I'm assuming that they're the 25000, and 11000...I am just wondering what the horsepowers are supposed to be. I bought a shop manual, but it doesn't appear to have that type of info in it.
Any pics of the 262's or any FA machines would be great, if you can get some video of them it would be better. Glad they are still being used somewhere!
hi there I believe the original rating was 330 hp in the front and just under 200hp in the back, some guys tried to up the power but the transmissions couldn't handle it, not only that it just spins the wheels off them and you don't get anywhere anyway. what serial number is your 262? there were only around 250 of them made and I was curious if it was newer than our newest one, I have never seen one newer but I assume there are a few.
Thanks, I appreciate it...the guy I bought it from wasn't too sure (thought the front was around 325, the rear 170), you're probably closer though. He also wasn't sure on the year, thought it was an '81 or so. The serial # is 79C00603. You'll have to forgive my spacing/using of all zero's, but I'm not to savvy on whether they're actually zero's, or o's. Thanks's again, I LOVE this forum! There is another scraper oriented thread with a bunch of neat pictures that you guys will have to check out if you haven't already...it's in the Scrapers section under photos, but I'm sure that you've all seen them already. Thanks again fiatallisguy!
Sorry, I misled you...that thread is nice, but I found one yesterday on the Allis-Chalmers 562. THAT'S the one that I meant to mention, I guess is you look around long enough you can find all kinds of neat stuff in here!
I looked in one of my old brocures and they do rate them at 325hp and 171hp net at the flywheel. the 25000 is 844 cu/in and the rear is 516 cu/in.
Thanks! Let me know about what you find on the serial number...I'm kinda curious about that.
I think it would be a '78. My dad bought 600 new in the spring of 78 and 619 new in the summer of 79 so that would give you a pretty close idea to the year. I only use the last three digits of the serial numer because the rest of it is the same on all the 262's and they are zeros ahead of that.
Thank you, I sure do appreciate all of the info. I would like to find out a little more about my "ol girl" I haven't gotten a whole lot of time to play with her very much, but I DO like to run 'er...this thing can move some major dirt! Hauling fuel to it is the only thing setting me back, I've got plenty of work, but the funds are a little tight!
NO problem, I have lots of literture on them and I am third generation to use them. If you have any questions on them feel free to ask, we have been through every bolt and nut on these things hundreds of times and I don't think you will find anyone that knows them better than my Dad, he probably knows them better than the guys that built them. Between him and I we can probably get it figured out. The Fiat scrapers weren't all that popular but there were a few around, we only know of 3 other ones still being used in Canada. We have imported several from the states. The dozers were more popular than the scrapers. We have one machine that has between 20 or 25 thousand frame hours on it, so they are pretty tough machines.
Did someone say Fiat-Allis 262? Building new cells in a landfill, 1986. He was lifting the back tires off the ground because he saw me taking pics. They had a few Komatsu pans on that job, too maybe I can find the pics.
Found Another Fiat Allis 262 Pic Being pushed by a D9G.
A few quick questions from a slow mind... these compare in size to a Cat 627 or 637? And how do they ride at speed compared to a cushion hitch Cat or suspended axle Terex? I just wondered since the few times I ran a 627B with a locked or defective hitch it about beat me to death. I have the original sales brochures for these in my files... now if I can just fiqure out scanning.... More pics please! Alan
They compare to a 627 (21yd). I run a 621E quite a bit (which has a cushion hitch), after running my 262 I would say that the ride is MUCH better with a cushion hitch! The neck on the 262 is fixed with no suspension axle, so the ride is comparable to a 613 magnified about 10x. I've never run anything with a suspension axle, so I can't compare to that, but I sure would like to try one out. The tires can also make a difference...the 621 I run has radials, my 262 has bias. If I could figure out the format for this website, I would post some pics, but I know just enough about computers to make me dangerous, so I'll try some more.
here is the 160 that we have that some of you wanted to see
row of 262bs on a road job we did
fd30b pushing at a lagoon project
stripping overburden at a coal mine near Edmonton
stripping topsoil with a 260b for a city subdivision
fresh paint
Fd30 push tractor
I hope I didn't put to many pics up for you guys, I finally got this thing to work. I have more if you want, these were just some that I had on my computer from a while back.
Looks like they work for you. They appear to be well cared for. How are they to find parts for?
hi there for us they aren't to hard to get parts for because we have been getting them for so long and have a pretty good idea on where they all are. we also have a stock pile of parts around for them, and have a couple of good machine shops close buy. someone new to them would have a terrible time I would suspect, espiecially for the back end, they made lots of tractor units but not many rear engine units.
In other words, because you are sticking with what you know, you do alright with them. Sounds like a good strategy to me. Yours are some good looking machines.
I havent seen pics of Fiat Allis scrapers for years, remember seeing the adds in the World Constrution mags that me Dad used to get back in the 60s. Good to see some are still earning a dollar or two. Cheers RDG.
Thanks for the pics...can never have too many! Good looking machines!
Hi Fiatallisguy, thanks for the photos, those are good machines you have there, keep the photos coming. Best wishes for the future, Neil
Here a nice movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkEMltBBfHw
Thats a cool video, brings back memories of when I started operating dozers as an HD 14 with a Baker angle dozer was one the machines I started on. Cheers RDG.
it started as this, 25 years old and only 50 hours on it!!!! it then went to this
then it turned into this then it got sandblasted and turned into this
WOW! Think you could come down and do mine?..for free?
Those are neat pics FA, I always thought they looked pretty modern for their time.. almost simialr in appearance to the Cat E models.
You are rite Tutts only imported the FA 160 ( elavting Scraper) it went to Gatton in Queensland. Can not think of contractors Name, As far as i know it was only FA scraper in Qld, it could be push loaded or you could use the elavator on better going, There could be other FA scrapers in Australia , i have a thought that there some in southern states
row of fiat scrapers sitting for christmas break, three of them are not pictured
Re: Thanks for nice information here . Keep it up
fa do you use barger equipment much or are you using different suppliers now there into mulchers and crusher parts now?
we use them all the time. Jim and my dad are good friends.
thats great ive used them for years too. to bad jerry retired he was good to work with too.
Hi Fiatallisguy, Just wondering what your thoughts were on the 263B's? Do you know how many were produced and do you have any photo's of your 263B? I appreciated seeing your photos and how well you present your machinery! My father had a 260A he bought new back in 1970 and we have always had a soft spot for the Allis/Fiat machines and we still have her sitting out at his farm. Thanks again for the photos.
hi 260A I really like running the 263, it does a nice job with finish work, it makes even the toughest dirt to work with easier to use. we only have the one, we actually bought it for parts, but when it got here it was a runnable machine, so we thought we would try it out. we had never had an elevator before, but soon found out it did have its place. stripping soils is where it really shines. we changed the hydrulics to a joy stick unit, with the bowl and ejector on the lever and the elevator on a electric toggle on the top. it works great. I don't know exactly how many were made, but I could try to find out. In the photo I posted of the big row it is the 7th one from the left, right next to the 161. I could only find one more photo I have of it, it is in the shop when were changeing the chains and rollers. but I can post somemore this summer when it goes back to work.
Fiatallis guy could u tell me where I could get some parts for a 262b Fiatallis looking for a pump For the for the front transmission
Used to run one myself a 263b repower with a cummins 855 Could get a lot of work done with it used 13 gallons of fual a hour
a scrap dealer. no one has any anymore. we had to get a machine shop to make new gears and rebuild them that way. they were a very special pump, only good thing is that it is for a front. It was in the 262, 263, 261, 260 and I think even the 161 had the same trans. so you might get lucky and find one parted out.
Thanks guess I will have to keep looking ! Have not had a problem Yet get parts for the power trans just Redon the rear power trans lookin good Till I tore the front toques convoter apart could not get any used parts
Did Fiat use their own trans or another manufacturers trans in their scrapers.
Truck 505. It's twin disc power trans
I was hoping you were gonna say allison. There is a place called Dartco Transmission and they deal with Allison transmissions but they may be able to point you in the right direction. I have bought parts from them before for TS 14's and they were great to deal with and they have everything. This is their website www.dartcotransmission.com
WOW, when I originally posted this thread I had no idea there were so many FA fans. Fiatallisguy, great pics of those machines, I especially liked the Christmas line up shot. I found this video for a 263b http://youtu.be/hCOnxqea724 not sure I did it right but the machine is pretty cool.
Was thinking about updateing my 262b fiat allis scraper . Had my eye on A 627f was wonder if there was anybody out there that could help me decide
should be a link to video http://youtu.be/Me5kFeorWLY
another link to a quick vid, just practicing this you tube link thing http://youtu.be/csIS7l5sT98
Good looking rigs there.
No they were;nt imported to Australia more the pity
If you decide to sell, send me some pics.
I don't know of 262B's coming in but there were a number of 161's and at least one 261B sold new into Australia. Also a contractor in Queensland imported a 263B during the 80's that was converted to a 261 after the rear engine failed.
Yes there were a Few FA 161 imported into Australia They were a good smalll machine .I reckon the agents were at fault for not importing more FiatAllis, the inquiry was there,theydid not seem to push anything other than Mustang skid steer loaders. I do not say this as a slur on the company . I think tthey had gone stale at top management;However they still operate
Hi guys It’s been awhile. Anyone interested in buying some good used, cheap scrapers. Our fleet of 262’s is going to be in the Ritchie bros. Sale in April. Edmonton Alberta. 8 262b’s, most repowered with Cummins engines and joystick hydraulics, full cabs with heat and ac and am/fm radios. Some with new paint. Also a 260b which will be the buy of the sale in my opinion, rebuilt Cummins 855 with almost no hours, trans recently rebuilt, only about 9000 original frame hours. Full cab with ac and heat. It’s too bad we have to sell them but owners are retiring and I’ve decided to take over the farm end of things and not do construction right now. I don’t think you could find nicer machines for the money.
They aren't listed on the RB site for the Nisku April auction. Are they late editions or is something else going on?
Just not listed yet They are still in our yard, they will probably start going to the Ritchie yard next week
What joystick was used. One out of an excavator? Extremely well managed machines from the pictures. The success/failure of any older machine in a fleet is whether the mechanics want to, or are allowed to put the effort into them.
It’s a system we came up with with help from a local hydraulic company. I’m not sure of the brand name. It’s a pilot pressure system with an accumulator. We ran the pilot pressure off the steering. So after start up you just turn the steering enough to pressure the system. It’s a similar stick to an excavator, bowl and apron controls, ejector is electric buttons. They’ve owned some of these machines since new. We work a lot with small spaces and short hauls and you can’t beat them, more maneuverable than a 627 with similar capacity and similar power. We have a couple of 627h’s to compare to, and they hang right with them everyday.
If I can overcome most of the other issues with our TS14G(which already has piloted hydraulics), I'd like to switch the bowl/apron to a joystick. Do you have any pictures of the cab interior showing the joystick mounting. There are none yet at Richie Bros site. We too are in most jobs with small spaces and short hauls. Trying to convince the owners that a tractor with twin pull scrapers are a poor choice for these situations. Seen too many torn up tractor tire lugs from operators jack knifing pans when in tight situations. Also torn up power trains from hogging the bowls full as there is not enough real estate to properly fill pull scrapers.
They are starting to get a few more pics up today. We took out all the lever stuff and made a plate to mount them to. Once it was all figured out, it took very little modification to change them. They have been a very trouble free system for us, and work really nicely. Just throwing it out there, but 79coo706 would be my pick if you were buying one. It’s only down fall is it’s not painted, but it was my favourite to run.
Yo Fiatallisguy. Do you move these yourself from Edmonton to Alberta? What size trailer is required. What are the dimensions of Scapers.
This is one of our units we hauled them with. They are about 11’ 9”wide at the draft tube (widest point) 10’ outside of tires, 25’ wheel base, 43’ total length, 12’ high. Between 75000 and 80000 lbs
That looks expensive. So what would you us to haul 1 or more of these from RB Richie Bros to at least Border, if not all the way to Reno Nv.
I really have no idea, you’d have to contact a trucking company. That’s just our truck to haul our equipment.
I think the owner came out very well on them. They brought a lot more than what I figured, even though they looked very well maintained.
I drove by the auction on the weekend. First they extended it to 4 days and now 5 days. Nisku is their biggest auction and I'd hazard a guess this may be their biggest auction ever. They were advertising over 9500 pieces! Tons and tons of equipment and then they have all the misc. stuff and attachments. The Barrett Jackson auction pales in comparison. They have some unused dozers and other equipment. I'd guess it will be over 500 million in sales. No wonder it didn't bother Dave Ritchie losing 40 million on the yacht. Must be nice to be able to take a 40 million dollar 2 year vacation.
Can't wait to put this to work stripping a gravel pit.
So what kind of prices did they bring?
The ones with cummins engines all brought around 30000 give or take a few thousand. The ones with fiat allis engines around 17000 i believe. There was a lot of interest in them for sure.
Sounds like buyers knew what they were looking at.
I bought one of your scrapers at the auction. Do you have any of the operator/service manuals i could buy from you?
Hello We have 3 262B Scrapers that we have repowered with the Cummins Engines. We are looking at getting rid of them along with all of our spare parts and tires. We used to have 12 of them and aren't using them like we used to. You can contact me if you would like more information Roger@wondra Construction.com Cell 920-948-4166
The scrapers they had were sold at auction back in April 2018 if you read the thread.
I did some work for the guy who owns them Scott can't remember his last name