A couple of TS-14/ TS-18 tandem scraper units prior to the Spring refurbishment and field tests.
After a long winter's nap.
good grief! i can hear them from here.
Terex power That's the stuff:drinkup:drinkup Any video? Dominion:canada
I do have some very good video, and actually had it put on cd, but I'm computer illiterate and will need help. I'll try to get it done tomorrow. Video will show what (3) TS-18's can produce on a short haul. Quite impressive being pushed by a Cat D8R. Anyway, here's a few of the guys stripping 'em down, removing the un-necessary baggage.... IE: air tanks, brake manifolds, etc. We're replacing hoses, nylon air lines, looming everything, new seats, re-sealing valves, etc. The normal 10 yr maintenance stuff.
My first attempt at video.
I have some also when it gets dry enough i will try to film some in action
What size are the tyres? They look small for 29.5 x29's if they are
When you guys get a chance that would be cool to see some video's. Love to see and hear those machines in action. There is nothin like the sound and smells of diesel's! Steve
Its cool to see you guys giving these old machines some love. I'm sure they will work great. It sounds like you have a good plan for making them live on. Thanks for sharing. Gary
Here is the link to the TS 18 video. YouTube - TS-18
I don't know how you get production with those old, slow machines.
spoken like a man who has never run one. far from slow. if i had to own scrapers, to move dirt in illinois, i would own nothing but ts-14's
Just look at McAninch's set up, they move some serious dirt with cats pulling cans. theyll move dirt in any soil condition when rubber tired scrapers are sitting to wait for the ground to dry up. I believe that production is actually increased with this set up and they will have a project done far before a company with a large fleet of rubber tired rigs. not to mention, if they remove the blade that reduces UC wear on the long haul. rocks, muck, clay etc etc... piece of cake. they even have a few D11's with this set up i believe.
hahaha, sorry guys posted that on the wrong thread... guess i should only read one thread at a time.
Ya know, I don't know how we get production either. I guess that I'm just a glutton for punishment................. after 75 years of family company history, and currently 3rd generation owner, I still don't know the score.:notworthy........... but we don't have any bank-notes and are still "knocking our heads against the wall," :Banghead ... chugging away with worn out stuff that can't compete with new technology (mostly air conditioners and stereos)............... Hmmmmmmmmm.
Nice little vid there Jason. Looks like that second scraper took a bit of a jolt, but thats what happens on scraper shows! A word of advise for your cat skinner- keep the blade up higher and make contact with the scraper on the cutting edge, insted of the center of the blade. By doing that, the slam between the two machines will be reduced because the Cat will kinda slide down at the first bit of contact. Then he can drop the blade into float, or apply some down pressure to help get the can in the ground a little more.
You are correct, JTL. That is good advice. But in fairness, the guy running the D8R was a finish hand, not really a push-cat operator. He was just "filling-in" a vacancy, and really did not want the job.
...
Takes a skillful operator to get production out of an old machine like that, but that makes it even more of a challenge. Rise to the occasion. You analysis Jason is very impressive. He should follow your advice and do even better on that machine. What you been up to lately anyhow, boy. What kind of jobs you got going now, Jason. Any good stories? Kills?
Guess the operators have been with you a long time.These pantie waste operators now days would not even get on a machine with no stereo,a/c or heater.
I dunno, i've personally moved 2k yards a day with 14b's. I'll let you slide on the old comment, but slow... stick one in 6th on a flat field and mash both pedals to the floor.... they move Here is the think with those old terex's, they dont cost nearly what a cat does and they are pretty reliable. When they are 1/2 the cost, even if you get 1/3 less production, you have more money in the wallet at the end of the day. And they will hold their own production wise.
I like your economic analysis of the old Terex's. What would it be like if you throw in the labor costs of running the thing. Is it still so profitable to have a slower machine with less production going? What do you think stumpjumper?
Stories?? How 'bout this. That little "nothing" operation, (3) TS-18's w/ D8R push-cat moved more dirt, on the same haul, than (2) Case/IH STX 425 Quad-Trac's pulling double LGP pans, (3) J.D. 8400's pulling double 17 cy pans, and (2) Komatsu mass-arm equipped PC-300's loading (4) Volvo Artics.............. The haul was about 800 ft one-way, 800 ft return. This may be hard to believe, but true. It would not have mattered if the Terex units would have been yellow Cat 627's; the net yards at the end of the day would have been too close to call. The real difference is, "The ugly Terex units are PAID FOR!"....................... nothing else out on that site was." We don't have any big dirt jobs moving right now, but I'm in great anticipation of one breaking out. And when it does, that old cheap iron will be ready to deliver another crippling blow to the Big-Bank-note wielding "gotta have air conditioning so my hands don't melt" contractors. I simply pay more in labor.... for enough $, they'll run it and like it. That's much cheaper than a monthly note for new iron. Old Iron will never die, Jason M.
As was told to me once. One frosty-cold morning I noticed a service-man with an 8" grinder working hard sharpening a stinger on a KG clearing blade. I asked the foreman how he could get a man to do such a boring, labor intensive task. His response was, "He just loves to watch a good sharp blade on the front of a D8 split the tree" :cool2 That's the secret to making production with old iron. You've got to find the guys that just love to watch big production happen... Guys that say, "Boss, They just don't make 'em like they used to"... mass dirt just rolling out of the apron..... IE: making real progress. The finish operator running the push-cat made a comment to me, "Ya know Jason, these (3) old Eucs are moving more dirt than all the rest of that stuff, COMBINED!" It becomes a passion.:usa
Jason, I like your thinking.My iron is all getting some age on it but its all paid for. If I work great and if I don't ,Well at least I don't have to worry about the Bank calling for there money. Long Live Old Iron dpull
I like running the older iron too.Run a D6c with a V cutter for a friend on week ends.First time running a cutter but he liked what I was doing.Summer time too.He said the A/C switch is at the base of that little fan.I like open cabs so you can hear and smell things.I use my bottem to feel things breaking.And those older engines have sweeter music than the new ones.
Jason, Excellent vid man, there isn't anything wrong with the old iron actually its better than the new stuff cause it is paid for. A client of mine asked me to run his '78 dynahoe and his '78 jd 450c at his property cause he couldnt run the dozer. I jumped at the opportunity, love the sound of those old detroits, reminded me of the terex machines and an old bantam 166 excavator I learned on. Take some pics and vids of the machines when they are done with their 10 yr, thanks. Steve
Here's another story to share. I noticed, just Friday of last week, that a competitor contractor had his entire fleet of J.D. 9520's and late model J.D. 18 cy pull pans up at the "fire-sale" auction just recently. This was told to me by a reputable source. He, a central La. eqt salesman, told me that he should have called me about it, but just forgot. Anyway, he had at least (6) J.D. 95"whatevers" that were sold + (12) of the pans to go with 'em. He mentioned that the pans went for around $20,000/ ech and wasn't sure about the tractors. This is exactly my point. There is no way that enough income could have been accrued as rental income, by all of that new iron to have justified buying all of that stuff. Bad decision. I can park my old green iron and watch wildflowers grow in the pan.... and it doesn't cost me much... just like dpull said. And when it's "Go-time," we just put new batteries in 'em and let 'em rip.
Idk what to say for sure. If you can simular quality help for simular dollars your probably ahead in the game. If you have to get green help because everyone else is going to a competitor with cushion hitchs and cab's, maybe you need to think things thru. Jason made a good point about the lack of a bank note, that lack of a bank note can save your rear. Better to let them sit, then work, knowing your loosing money, but less then letting them sit.
jason, i agree with you completely. i absolutely hate running ts 14's, but, a pay check is a pay check. that old iron is cheaper to own, cheaper to run, and cheaper to fix.
Thank you Qball. We've done it both ways and have measured the outcomes. Nobody (Const companies) here are guaranteed the work to justify new iron purchases. Well, there are staple pieces of eqt that you just gotta have; in our business this would be hyd excavators, utility eqt, a roadworthy truck and lowboy, and finishing dozers. I'm not sure how some of the really big operators do it....buying these $400,000 rigs, be it tractor-pan-combos or new conventional scrapers, but we surely cannot stomach that kind of equipment note! BTW: the explanation of the New Orleans levee rebuilding thread is posted in the General Industry section. Somebody asked for it. I tried to explain. Enjoy.
i have no clue as to what "acceptable" production rates is for a scraper...but i just saw 54 yds of material moved in one minute and 54 seconds in that video...looks like they're producing to me!!!
what is the initial cost of a new 627 vs a beater ts 14?
Brand new 627G $750,000.00 ???? TS-14 Decent shape $20-30,000.00
I look at it this way. Repairs and maintenance costs more on older iron, but when the job stops, so do the repair bills. With new iron, when the job stops, the bills keep on coming. Run what you can afford, then take care of it so you can use it again for the next job. Looks like you are doing a good job of that Jason. How's your "new" D-8 coming along?
Terex I've never had anything to do with scrapers,as the terrain here is'nt scraper friendly.From what I can see in your video they can really move yardage. Particularly on a short/medium haul.Would like to do a job with them to learn more about the finer point's. Far as the Cat/Terex rivalry,some of my most memorable day's in thirty years of construction have been with Terex loaders (had four)and a 82-40 dozer.Those machines served us well,took a beating,and made money.Not sure the last year Terex built that style of scraper,but there still seems to be enough of them in service -must speak volumes.Could'nt agree more about pantie-waste operators. Dominion:canada
Terex is still making the TS-14 . The used ones on MT 2001-2007 are bringing $100K to $250K. Makes the ol' green weenie look pretty good in the $30K range. I agree with Jerry, they may cost money while running but cheap enough not to cost money when they are sitting. One reason why I prefer quads over horses, you only feed quads while your are riding. Interesting thread.
Good eye there, dayexco. But to be more accurate, a TS-18 is rated at 18 CY, struck level. That means that they'll muster about 22-24 CY heaped/ unit/ cycle. Same for a TS-14; they're measured, struck level also. You can pile on about 18 CY (loose) on a TS-14..... pretty impressive. In that same string of video, I've got a TS-14 running in that same line-up. How that TS-14 doesn't break in half from its ponderous load is amazing. I'll try to load it up for you to see also. When I say that you couldn't put a teaspoon of dirt in the bowl after loading, that is exactly what I mean. But if you're considering the hard "pay-dirt," compacted, in-place, you figure would be damn close to truth, using a 1.3: 1 compaction factor. Though that video was in optimum conditions, that's what WEIGHT and HORSEPOWER will net. BTW JDOFMEMI, the old D8H is not turning out to be quite the Great Deal that I thought it would be; I'll have a little bit more $ to sink into it than I first expected... but it's still going to turn out good, I think. Engine runs great, all gauges in the green, tranny shifts and pulls well, all hyd cyl repacked, and Monster Ripper Rack out-back w/ a Monster blade out front; these are the Good. The Bad is that the old gal has "heard the Thunder" in its previous existence. Roller frame is pretty well shot in more places than one, the U/C is not 65% as advertised, but 100% worn in every department. And I'll have to replace a couple of the smaller drive gears (pinion gears) and bearings in the Final Drives. My mechanics are giving it hell though... got it all stripped down and are about to order parts. I'm guessing that I'll be about $70,000, all in, when it's said and done; this includes purchase. Thanks to Tony Choates at TCT tractor for the keen insight and good direction. I don't think that I did too bad. In the new eqt market, $70,000 won't buy a little toy rubber-track skid-steer, with all the bells and whistles, and you still don't have crap; ran one the other day at the Case dealer. A joke.
Cool Scrapers Jason. As far as I know the real limiting factor with old Terex's is the lack of cushion hitches, am I right? I have seen a few newer ones with suspended axles like a 615 Cat would use, do yours have that option? I have toyed with the idea of plumbing hydraulic accumulators with the bowl lift cylinders as kind of a home made cushion hitch, kind of like ride control on a wheel loader. I have no idea how or if it would even work, and I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it, be neat to try it though. The only real problem I can see is you'd have to carry the bowl pretty high to keep it from hitting the ground when you hit a bump. Maybe someone else here has tried it???
If these Tree Huggers and the Government keeps tightening up on emissions we will be parking the old machines permanently.
Took a couple shots of the upgrades; coming along slowly but surely. Removal of superfluous air tanks! Dropped the tank count from (6) tanks to (1) tank........ less tanks, less fittings, less problems..... note the separate regulators and separate gauges for each air circuit. One reg/gauge for rear throttle, One reg/ gauge for shifter, One reg/ gauge for push-pull bail. Then a rebushing of the front bail. New scraper seats mounted on factory lower scissor assy, new air suspension cylinders pirated from the local O'Reilly's Parts Store (1976 Corvette rear air shocks) ............ $50 for a set of (2)! How is that compared to the factory unit at $475/ each! And hyd cylinders getting new seal kits. I feel these are the mods that make them competitive and reliable.:usa
Here are a few shots.
I must be slipping.
I think that mine might have some type of factory accumulator mounted on the bowl lift cylinders. At least that's what I think it might be. Either that or it's a sequence valve that coordinates the bowl and the apron. Maybe someone out here knows; I haven't dug into that area too much..... but we'll get to that a little later. And such, hauling at great speeds is not on my TS's agenda. If I've got to haul long, it's gonna get hauled in a truck, never a scraper; just can't make it come out right on paper...... but for shorter hauls, Push-cats and twin scrapers won't get beaten; not around here anyway.
Jason,I agree with you 100% on the old green machines.We used to run nothing but TS-24's.We had about 20 of them.Every sales men that would come tried to talk us into buying new.Those old 24's would just not die.Swap out the motors and trans and you were ready to go again.Sorry to say we gave it all up 3 years ago.We were also third generation owners.There wasn't much work and the work that was to be had wasn't worth having.The fellows with all the bank notes drove the price to where you couldn't make a buck so we called it quit.Worse feeling I ever had selling all the old paidfor equipment.Good Luck.Mike Durkin
Well, Mike you surely said it correct.:notworthy I wonder why banks loan money to idiots, and bonding companies underwrite morons that take work much too cheap.................and it's reputable contractors that know what the work is worth, forced into having to endure, while these fools go out of business. :beatsme
Ts14g Great forum guys, I would like to know do any of you guys have any info on how well the TS14G's are proforming in the feild i'm thinking of purchasing a pair for my work, i have owned TS14B's in the late 80's and are coming back in to the dirt shifting market Cheers Leroy:drinkup
The g's that I was around were ex-rental units. They had to tint the cabs to keep the ac's working. Mind you these machines were working in south eastern pa, not alabama or someplace really warm. They also seemed to have electrical issues that would put a machine down. The b's on the other hand didnt have the electrical garbage, everything was air powered... They seemed to have a little less power and didn't have down force on the bowl, but all in all were a more productive machine.
120 sec is too long for 3 scrapers to get loaded. It should take 2 627 push pulling maximum of 40 sec to have both loaded, and a 631 only 12 sec. My push partner and I can get heaped loads in 25 sec. Now if you have 3 machines like shown in the vid, we'd hook all three of them up and make the machine haul more than its supposed too. Hell we've hooked 6 of them up, that's 12 engines loading one machine. I think its funny that people think because I run a g I'm a premadonna, ever been in a g with broken a\c in phoenix during the summer? The a\c has 2 cabin filters that probably wasn't cleaned out which will cause the a\c to suck. I have 2.5% tint all the way around mine.
Thanks stumpjumper83, Also instead of cusion hitch they are saying the14g has some sort of cusion bowl can any one tell me is this good or bad thing thanks Leroy
What they do have is a suspended front axle, air over hydraulic. If that's not how the sysytem works, somebody feel free to correct me. Makes the ride a bit smoother, but not having run green, i can't tell you which rides better, axle or hitch. Somebody will be sure to chime in. Ala627b
Alan The suspended axle is on the TS-24B and C models. The TS-14G has a suspension bowl, which works with accumulators on the bowl lift cylinders. I don't have any first hand experience with the 14's, but the suspended axle on the TS-24's works pretty good. it is nitrogen charged, just like the struts on rock trucks, and gives nearly a foot of travel at the front tires. if it is properly maintained, it rides comperable to a Cat cushion hitch. We have a joke that the suspension axle gives the operator a cushioned ride, while the cushion hitch gives the dirt a good ride. lol
Jerry Thanks mate; I am hoping some one can tell me about this cusion bowl so i can compare TS 14G with 627G for ride, i don't know if there is anybody who has been on both 14G and 627G . We are in steep country where i live and the 14's seem to be much more stable and sure footed in the hills thats my reason why i favour terex, And the D8R will run well with these units. Thanks Leroy
a terex ohhhhhhhhhhhhh classic machine
i spent a couple weeks in a 14f it was an alright scraper. it did have many electrical problems, we had two and every day i would have to shut mine down at least ten times a day to reset the computer, otherwise the rear engine wouldn't rev up,frustrating! my a/c worked good but my bowl cushion didn't. the other one the check engine light and alarm were always on, his front engine would be the one that wouldn't rev up, his a/c didn't work but cushion did. the company we rented them from said as soon as the motors blew they were going to put cummins in them. besides the engine eletrical problems the rest of the scraper was good.
info on 24's hi guys; i wonder if one of you could tell me what yr they stoped making the ts-24, and what is the difference between the 24, 24b and 24c's. i just saw i am told a 24c and am wondering what is the difference maker, and when the last 24's were made. thanks,still trying to get info for an article. ts-24 frank
Thats the smartest thing i've ever heard you say
Those 14's are loud, they stink, they are rough and a whole lot of things but by gawd they can move dirt. Anyone who has ever operated one has a definite love hate relationship with them. Not many pieces of iron can compare to the longevity of the TS14. They still out there working for a reason...they earn their keep.
TS-14 scrapers will move more muck than 627 Cats. I've run them both over the years and much prefer the TS-14. Very dependable, loads and unloads quicker, the TS-14 will go where Cats sink deep. They are fairly frugal with fuel, and if in a rental fleet, generally are cheaper. Open cab is the way to go, usually cooler in the seat than the Cats, fact is, I've never run one with a cab. Nice machines all round!
It would seem that most anyone that has Run a TS14 has managed to move Muck and make Money, the Damage they do on Haul roads is nothing compared to big Units like 657's that Wreck the Site fast in the U.K. plus the fact they get back to work faster in bad weather than heavy Units, it all goes to build up the " King of the Cut " Badge that the 14's have, the added bonus is its not a big cost to have a spare Scraper Parked ready if 1 Calves Down. tctractors
JasonM where abouts are you from in Louisana? Seem like a Company around here with a bunch of worn out Terex's bidded a section of I-49 and their bid was thrown out because it was so low?
Old, slow, and reliable will outwork new and fast with a dead computer.
nothin wrong with an old terex at all
Amino Brothers is the one Kman9090 is talking about. I don't know how they can even get a job done their equipment is so junky. Believe me I have nothing against old and tired equipment but if you guys where to get close to this junk or better yet work for them you would understand. A friend of mine was contacted to do a job for them, fix a hard bar on a D8N. It was so bad the center pin was about to wear completely thru the equalizer bar. He took it to his shop to begin to repair it and they called and said they needed it back before he could even start on it that day. They put it back in like it was and sent it out on a job. The head mechanic they had for years made sure (intentionally) that he had plenty of job security.
That sounds like them, I think some of their stuff is still sitting off the ride away. Dont know if they can bid any more work for Louisana after that last mistake. What part of Missouri you around Cat wrench?
Sounds like their method of operation. Sad part about Amino Brothers is that when the last generation had it they where a thriving, reputable company. They had old money and were debt free and always paid there bills on time. Not so much anymore. I am from between Kansas City and Clinton.
my company runs 14 ts-14's. they are the only kind I have ever ran but I love to run them. like most of the guys have said they are fast and can move dirt. also they are easy to fix and find parts for. we got one a that has a john deere motor fitted into it. you don't get to hear the good old detroit purring but it is alot faster. saves on fuel while increasing production. we have since converted 2 or 3 others to JD power.
Looks like i will have to come to the USA and operate them myself ,i spend a bit of time in colarado dont know if there is a dealer there. We don't have any TS14Gs with the cummings in, in australia, I don't even think there is a terex dealer here that sells scrapers, We have a strong CAT dealer network no trouble with that
We have Cummins powered TS-14G's here. I much prefer the GM powered examples. Detroit Diesels are the best way to turn fuel into NOISE !! :drinkup
I like it Should use that line for your signature
WabcoMan ; What is the bowl suspention like on the TS14Gs (ride control) Do the cummins have enough power ????? Thanks Man :drinkup
can not agree with u more wabco. love he screaming deamons. we have a's and b's. I would love to see and run a f or g. how r they?
The 14G's give the dirt a pretty nice ride but you still get that initial jolt. Its a little better than cushion hitch I have to say. I do like to hear the sound of those GM's rather than the whistle of the Cummins. The GM's sound like you're actually doing something if you get my drift. Happy scrapin' The WabcoMan :drinkup
Thanks Wabcoman, you have answed my question well ,so the 14s are 06+??and have you had any other problems ( i Don't think there is any cummings powered in victoria) thats why all the questions. I sold a white 222G to NZ couple years back i think his name was hoss yeatman, I still have sprockets hear i have to send over, the only wabco i have left is a 111A i still use her a bit just to get a fix on the 471 i love the music.:drinkup Cheers Leroy
Hi Lee this is Nick Yeatman Hoss's brother. Your 222 is going well, we had a mishap with the crown wheel and pinion. Manish from Hydramarine in Mumbai supplied a replacement, shes all go again. there are some shots of the 222 working on the wabco scrapers at work thread. Those elevator spockets would be appreciated. One of the great things about old gear is they dont have new problems. There is always someone somewhere with a solution for an old piece of machinery. We ran a couple of new johndeere 6000 series self propelled forage harvesters in the 90s everytime something went wrong all our dealer could say is they havent seen that before and it wont be covered by warrantee. When you owe a lot of money on a new machine you end up having to buy work, the margins disapear and you pay through the nose for any problems because down time will kill you. TS14s are one of the most under rated machines out there, when the going gets steep or sticky they rule. If you dont appreciate 2 cycle detriots. Youre probably talking with you bank manager about going to town tommorrow to listen to a load of BS about efficency and new technology from a money grabbing fair weather friend whos showing you a nice new shiny fleet of air conned, computer controled, multi mnillion dollar nightmares. Its great to know were not the only people thinking out there.
Showpony; Hi nick sorry about those sprockets but you will get them soon , I have been looking at TS 14s and 627s i'm going to have a play on both soon as i can organise it , I ran 14s in the 80s and still believe your right, they are absolute heros in the industry, cat 7s also match up well with these babys. I've been asking alot about 14Gs cos they have a suspension bowl now i'm a bit older and looking for a bit more comfort ,but i don't like them series 40 engines????, but later models do suit the hourly hire market better (oh&s) stuff,and also the funk trannys are they any good ???, Aswell i favor the 14s over the cats because they are so sure footed on steep stuff and nice and lite in the wet . It looks like 2005+ ran cummins engines so now you can see i have to many questions i need to go to the usa or where ever and check the hole thing out. Say hi to hoss and i'm glad the 222G going well all the best, cheers Leroy:drinkup
Can anyone show me video of TS14G's working, i would love to here from any owners that actually run them and see them run push/pull, thanks Leroy
Aussie Leroy , go see Divall`s earthmoving and bulk haulage . they have/had two of them they bought new awhile ago or you could go to new zealand putting them sprockets in your luggage , theres plenty of TS14G`s over there to see
greeniron ; I think your right, looks like NZ sprokets and all . Leroy
Its all fun and games to hook 6 scrapers up together in till you pull the pan out of the bottom of one.
Sounds like you might have spent some time around American Contracting
I've had a scraper break in half at the troller joints. The draft arms broke off them and by the time my partner stopped the only thing connected was the bar for the apron. I wasn't jerked, I was 3/4 the way loaded and only running 2 at a time.
Here is some of my gear working in the mid 1990s
wife is trying to show me how watch this space
Howdy Kerry...Longtime no see...would be great to see your photos...when you attach photos there is a limit on the file size...alternative to post single photos or multiple small files...anyway great to see your posts Regards RayC
Wouldnt be Ross Cloutman not Hoss Yeatman woiuld it. Cloutman brothers were Wabco fans going back a bit up around Auckland. Cheers RDG.
just for you guys. taped and recorded video. not to easy hope u like it. TURN UP THE VOLUME!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUV_kKz4iag
TS32's Hi...well terexkerry has some great photos..helping to post so will let terexkerry put comments
32's contd A couple of more great shots from terexkerry
terex power Thanks for putting these up RayC. Photos taken In the late 70,s @ the Huntly coal mines NZ,straight pipes no ear protection you older hands know what it was like 20 years old 10 foot tall and bullet proof.Hearing has never been right since. terexkerry And NO I did not roll that 32.
Cool pics keep em comming, good to see some pics from days gone by. Cheers RDG.
Ts18 Some more Photos from the office of terexkerry
TS18 Contd And a few more
Bit of kiwi scenery in there I see.
These photos were taken at Owhiro Bay Quarries on the south coast of Wellington NZ.Great job untill the TREE HUGGERS got involved that was the end of the quarry.It had ONLY been there about 70 years.Kerry
S24 More Photos from Terexkerry
S24 Contd And more
Photo taken on the Whangamoa Hill north deviation,State highway6 Nelson NZ
Looks like the other end of town Spooners hill up grade I think Doug Hood was the main contractor I used to drive a S24 way back when I was young ,loved the V12 straight pipes bounce bounce down the road Doug owned a lot of Cat gear for some reason had a few S24's
Sorry I am wrong, was the bottom end of the Whangamoa remember cause Taylor's ended up with one of the scrapers for some reason. they traded it on new 14G. They also have 2 or 3 TS24's with Cummins which dosen't seem right
Yes Taylors got a TS 18 off me at the end of the job I worked off some debt and they ended up buying it.Doug Hood bought these 2 24,s off me Kerry
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why does it need a dozer to push from behind? Never had much to do with scrapers, too much rock from where I'm from
Excellent pics good to some earthmoving from way back. RDG.
Good bit of road that just a shame it didn't carry on to the top and down the other side
Mitch.You get more material faster and easier getting pushed also easier on tyres especially using single engine open bowl scrapers.In saying that I have pushed alot of scrapers where You feel it would of been quicker to get off the dozer and use a hand shovel to load it cheers Kerry
RDG Thanks there is more to come Kerry
I have some of my pics from days gone by on here u might be interested in, if u go to the advanced search thingy and type in dozer pics, on page 7 down the list a bit there is more dozer pics and further down is dozer pics by RDG, they are some photos I posted on here a while ago of a few jobs I did / worked on back in the 70/80s. Cheers RDG.
Thanks Terexkerry, never seen it done, would like to though.
Mitch have a look page 2 scraper section on pushloading scrapers Kerry
TS8s And a few more fromterexkerry
Hollywood your name says it all
tHANKS Ray again Im getting more SEAT TIME on the computer can type using one finger @ the rate of about 4 words per hour.Anyway these photos are of my TS8,s ex NZ Army 100 horsepower Bedford 330 engines & 5speed Allison transmissions (autos) Quite nice to operate you had to get used to all the business end hyds were run from the rear engine steering run from front engine interesting to do the first couple of loads.When they looked at a hill Well I feel a 16 year college boy would have more pull.Take it easy Terexkerry
NZ Army TS8 Well following Terexkerrys pics...heres one of mine....the first job that we did using the TS8's....rebuilding the Trentham Rifle Range 1984. We had 3 off these machines...and they were a good load for the IH F230D Transporters.
Think the NZ Army were the only ones to have TS 8s in NZ, did see one in Porters yard in Hamilton when I was over there 2yrs ago, only one Ive ever seen.Cheers RDG.
Hi RayC, RDG and Terexkerry. Were quite a few TS8s in NZ, at least 8 maybe more, have spent abit of time in them and the rear controlled hyds get abit exciting dumping downhill, I think everyone expected them to be like a minature TS14, but they forgot about the pommyisation of the beast Merv
D6 Merv you are right there were at least 8 in NZ. After the 3 NZ Army machines, I bought 2 off Frank Burgess from Napier 1 of these was burnt out.There is also a couple (I think) around that have been repowered with Isuzu engines.I traded 2 to Transdiesel and sold 2 to Neil Porter.Have a good weekend guys Terexkerry
Hi Terexkerry. Ones i knew about were the 3 army ones. Bruce Nikalls from putaruru had 2 that were quite tidy, and these may have had isuzu repowers. Geoff Linton in the south island had 2 and sold 1 to Ray Blackler from whitianga; one i spent some time on; is one in north aucland for sale, and neil porter still has one for sale. The size and concept was quite good, and when working were quite good. Have got some pics but will need a kid to help me scan them and download. Cheers Merv
Hi Merv.You are right when they going they were a great little machine I suppose all machines are good when going. I had a lot of trouble with cracks in the gooseneck,seemed very weak in that area.I know what you mean about posting photos,in my case its quicker to post mail by envelope. Cheers Kerry
Ts46 Heres a couple more from terexkerry
Thanks again Ray.These photos were taken in Indonesia and were part of a fleet of TS46 scrapers and trucks after arrivel.I was asked by Terex if I could send an experienced operator over to train the local guys which I did.Regards Kerry
Hi kerry Was at porters yard in paeroa last week and was told the TS8 there had been sold to someone in the south island; possibly in Nelson; who owns a few TS14s and 18s and was going to use them on dairy conversions and other cockie work. Your other TS8 is supposed to be in Hamilton, still with Neil Porter. Merv
Hi Merv,Thanks for the info Earthworks HB got one of the ex army ones (off Transdiesel)I called into their yard a few years ago and they had painted it white and were fitting an isuzu in the rear I dont know if they still have it.Enjoy your weekend. Kerry
There is a yellow TS 8 sitting in Dargaville machinery`s yard. Been there for some time now.
More from the dept of Terex Kerry
And a few more
a few more
A Few more
last Few
terex power :notworthyThanks again Ray,its quite hard to make out but the RH tyne on the 82-40 is snapped nearly in half,I suppose it just goes to show the power of the TEREX brand.Kerry.
RayC, Terexkerry That TC12 sure looks good but isn't that a Euclid?
stinkycat,yes it is.Just trying to show a bit of history before the EUCLID TC12 became the TEREX 82-80 spent a bit of SEAT TIME on this machine @ the Huntly coal mines NZ. Contractors were lineing up for the 82-80 but unfortunately due to popular demand overseas and their heavy workload producing the best scrapers available TEREX could not supply any to NZ contractors.TEREXkerry.Actually 35 years ago it was EUCLIDKERRY.
Awesome pics, keep them comming, thanks for putting them up. Cheers RDG.
RGB,No worries thanks to Ray C.There is alot more to come.I will get the hang of this computer soon.It is made by Wabco so getting parts for computer is like getting parts for their scrapers (carnt)I was thinking of approching the chap who gave Noah a hand with the ark to see if he has any parts left as most of the wabcos are from that era.This same bloke built some of the first and knew they would be dogs of things actually towed them on board by oxen.They took the elevators off for paddle wheels(ANOTHER STUFF UP )They were used for anchors in the end.After 40 days and 40 nights of rain they dropped the 2 wabco anchors never to be seen again.Pioner Pete gave that FAMOUS point with his arm to show the siteing of land.Pete & NOAH sent the animals packing and decided to start up building earthmoving machinery.Pete&Noah then started EUCLID
Man id hate to be in pub with all you fellas; together drinking beer; I think you,d kill me with laughter. Anyway we should all be in a pub tonite drinking beer, watching the BIG game on tv. One of us 2 countrys is gunna be celebrating Cheers Merv
Hey Merv,it would be a bit of humour thats for sure.Unfortunately the wabco owners will miss the game as they will be trying to get machines mobile for the new week.I would say the trouble they have with them they would be lucky to see the final match.After the game tonight the Aussies will know how wabco owners feel.(DISAPPOINTED)Take it easy Kerry
Photos contd Photos from Kerry
A Few more
View attachment 84654 View attachment 84655 View attachment 84656 A Few more
And some more
last couple
Cheers Ray, The Ransomes dozer is to show these wabco guys that this was all that was needed to pushload the 24,s they had that much grunt.The first lot of TEREX were owned by Phil Rouse who were doing a job in wellington.The last photo is a 14 we leased off Transdiesel, it was later sold to the boy of a well known contractor in Wellington.The yellow 24,s became the TEREX GREEN ones.In one of the photos the 18 is being tandem pushed by 2x HD21,s owned by Street Bros.In one of the photos thats me (without grey hair) just taken a P thinking WHY have all the wabcos been kicked off site.Enjoy,take it easy.Kerry.
Kerry, I couldn't help noticing that the 18 needed two dozers to push her. I spose the front trans was crook and the operator had a lack of feel so buried the bowl in hope that he might eventally get a load. I guess the dozer operators were board waiting for the 18 to get back to the cut so they had plenty of time to plan there push. The Wabco would have already been back for a load and would have cleaned up the mess behind the 18 so that the next Terex operator would be able to get a load. Couldnt help noticing the phisique of the terex operator, obviously years of drinking to cope with the fuel bill and continual delay in parts. I think the green stuff has caused serious problems with your ablity to think straight and is possibly why you are so jealous of the wabcos. It must be hard to see all thos old girls cut up for scrap, might even contribute to more drinking. Oh well I guess you can keep having a go at us guys. Funny thing is we are still shifting the dirt and none of the terexs are. Take it easy, Stan
Stan the new WABCO MAN welcome to the thread to see the only scraper prouduced.The operator was Big Don he did not drink to many years of bacon and eggs.Yes it must be hard for you to cut the wabcos up for of parts, should give you 6 months (Unlikely)to keep them mobile.I think the well respected contractors boy is shifting dirt with TEREX.I am not jealous of the wabcos,just sorry for the way they preform for you owners.We could of done with 2x21,s to help out these 2. I think that TEREX TS14 WENT TO Perer Blake Earthmoving. kerry
Getting a bit personal re:my drinking there Stan yes everyone I am an a alcoholic. I have been clean for seven months & at this stage its going well,one day at a time is all I can do,. some days are tougher than others.I have great support from alot of people ,hopefully I will make it this time.I am not really having a go at you wabco guys its just for a laugh.Take it easy.Kerry.
some of Magnums gear.
two more pics. The scrapers and this D8 are working on the Marsden Point port.
Great photos Brainzie are they still working in huntly.Take it easy Kerry
Yep as far as I know Kerry, they`re doing the earthworks for a local civil contractor up here.
Don,t let the others get to u too much kerry, hang in there and keep poking the behive. ! Saw a contractors ute the other day; Dolph Rasmussen from Paeroa; another dedicated green machine man with a collection of TS14s, 14Bs and a old TS24. Anyhow this ute has a big pic of pioneer pete in his logo on the door, and EUCLID for the numberplate. !
Hey Merv,Hes a top man that Dolf (Not many of US left)a great TEREX man.I speak to his mate Barry Andrews now and again.Not worried about the others getting to me I enjoy it. I cannot think of another industry where you could have such a laugh.Take it easy Kerry.
Hey RayC i see an old euc dumptruck in those photos of that green Iron do you know if that old euc water tanker is still around? because Jswap contractors had a similar one to that, so possibly it might be the same one?
Reubs,There were quite a few of these EUCLID watertrucks around most were ex Ministry of Perks I mean Works.The one in RayC,s photo I bought off Green & McCahill along with a 3-70 Rex compactor.It was a great truck.When I went under I am not sure were it went to.(EUCLID HEAVEN maybe)Take it easy.Kerry.
Can any one tell me about the TS14B with the V6's in them, my old boss when i was younger brought a new TS14 with V6's in it (Brasil made i think) i never found out if they where successful ie; better or worse than the mighty 471GM any comments. Cheers Leroy
I know of another bloke who mentioned them I think they had a 6v 53 and were made in Brazil dont know much more than that.
Can anyone shed any light on the single engine terex scrapers? I'm thinking maybe of a single engine unit, and the guys that run the twin eninge machines are saying to go terex but for what I'm doing maybe not twin engine they tell me they are pretty heavy and a single will do the job I need done, those guys also have wabco scrapers and love them but parts are pretty hard to find and to go terex instead, any help would be appreaciated
I heard from the guys in the shop that we just picked up a TS-14 with 6-71s in it. I will let you guys know more when I see it in the field.
I'm from the UK, now retired and living in the Philippines. Seeing these Terex machines certainly brought back memories from the early 1970's when I worked for Tarmac Construction. We were removing all the topsoil and sub soil for new roads for a new Town called Redditch. There was a fleet of Terex,TS 24's, 10 I think and the howling bellow of those beauties used to make the hair stand up on the back of my neck.Now this is my question,, there were some American bands who sang about big earth moving machines and the guys who drove them.I cannot remember what that sort of music was called or any bands names.If anyone in the States who reads this please leave a message. Thank you..( I was driving a small Massey Ferguson backhoe, A ** 40 then)
From the movie The Quiet Earth... couldn't be with a green monster in it! LOL! http://www.cultreviews.com/reviews/the-quiet-earth-review/ http://www.cultreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008 /10/qe-bulldozer-cr.jpg Some of you new Zealanders may be passingly familiar with this flick or the novel it came from.. by one of your countrymen. I have never seen it but looked it up yesterday.. the artwork for the movie ads really made an impression on me that lasted for 20+ years! Gotta love the internet....
What are you going to be doing Randy88.thats great advise from those wabco guys about getting TEREX they now know the superior machine having both wabco and TEREX.Anyway I would like to wish all you guys and families a merry christmas and a great and successful 2012.Take care and take it easy.TEREX KERRY. On a lighter note has anyone got any operating positions on scrapers or dozers over the Christmas New Year period. Thanks!
We're wanting a scaper to do small jobs and not have to hook and unhook a pull scraper all the time also getting it to the jobsite I can drive it there since most of my jobs are clsoe to home, I'm not needing a twin engine machine for the work I do, the guys I talk to had both wabco's single engine and terex's twins and they told me the twins were overkill for my type of work and go find a single engine terex due to the simplicity and reliability and also availability of parts to replace and repair ad also the durability of the machines overall. They also told me to not worry about heaping them up just load them sensably and I'd hardly have to push load them. I've read this entire thread and its mostly about twin enigne machines, does anyone have any seat time or wrenching time on single engine terex's?
Randy88 What about a nice TS14 you could always take rear engine trans, etc. out and you would have plenty of spares (not that you would need them) It would be pretty gutless though. Kerry
Terexkerry, no I was looking for something set up as a single engine unit, not even sure whats available, just been looking at some sale sites to see whats been sold lately, first off do you or anyone have any experience with a single engine terex, and if so what can anyone tell me about them, I was looking for something smaller than a 14 twin engine size, but maybe nothing is available in the terex lineup, I'm not sure if anything ever was, the only terex machines around me are twin engine units and thats all the owners have had any experience with in the terex line, but all recommended single engine scrapers for my application, they just had no first hand experience with terex single engine units. They gave me the downfalls of some of cats single engine units and wabco's no longer made and parts were hard to get otherwise they loved the wabco single engine 240 hp machines, that was the size they recommended for me just not a wabco or cat.
Randy,done a few hours on S24,s older ones,beautiful loading machines if you had the right pusher but it sounds like a 24 would be to big for what you want.If you could ever get hold of a S7 scraper it would be perfect they are an old scraper now though.Would a S11 elevating scraper be any good,sorry I cannot be of much help but good luck in your search.Kerry.
We are wanting an open bowl scraper instead of an elevating scraper, how big is a S7 in cubic yards, and did they make a S11 in open bowl or all just elevating, all I've ever seen sell were elevating versions that were sold on sales. Thanks for any input you can give me.
Euclid/Terex Scrapers Randy88 The Euclid/Terex S-7 is 7 cubic yards struck, heaped around 10 cubic yards. S-11E's are all elevators - Terex never made an open bowl version. The S11E was actually made by Clark for Terex. The only thing close to an 11 cubic yard, open bowl machine was the quite rare Euclid S-12, which as its name implies, was 12 cubic yards. This had a GM 6-71 up front but was only ever available with a Fuller manual transmission. Finding one of these in acceptable condition could be difficult
Randy Have you considered removing the rear package from a TS-14? Make it into a homebuilt S-14 that way. Less to go wrong with only 1 drivetrain to worry about, and you loose some weight off of the rear as well.
I think a 14 is a bit under powered with 2 motors/ what would it be like with one? unless you put an 8V/71 up the front to make up for the 4/71 missing from the back. Lol
So an S24 is 24 cubic yards heaped or level? and how big is a 14, I was told they are over 20 cubic yards level and even more heaped and also how big is a S23 and whats the difference between that and the S24, one guy close by has a S24 that he really likes but it appears to be about the same size as the twin engine 14 but I haven't put a tape to them both to measure them yet, neither owner knew what their machines weighed, can you anyone here tell me what a 23,24, and twin engine 14 weigh?
Randy, S-24 is 24 cubic yards struck, 32 heaped and a darn good scraper. TS-24 is the same capacity, just with 2 engines. S-23E is elevator only - 23 cubic yards TS-14 is 14 cubic yards struck, 20 heaped and would be underpowered with the back engine removed. The Brazilian branch of Terex manufactured an S-14 for a short time which was just that, a TS-14 with the rear engine removed. However it had a 6 cyl Cummins up front to give it the required "grunt". Weights: TS-14 (empty) approx 52,500 lb TS-14B (empty) apptrox 52,900 lb TS-18 (empty) approx 72,000 lb S-23E (empty) approx 66,800 lb S-24 (empty) approx 80,850 lb TS-24 12V-71 front, 6-71 rear - (empty) approx 93,800 lb Hope this helps The WabcoMan
WabcoMan, yes that helps a lot, thanks, I've been searching for weeks on the net and haven't come up with much of anything but the weight and hp on the 14b. What else is out there that makes a open bowl machine that compares to the wabco thats any good in your opinion, just out of curiosity, what would you recommend for a single engine scraper other than wabco thats not as heavy as a TS14b or quite as big either? I"ve found a few open bowl cat 613B's but most are not too impressed with them around here anyhow, any ideas or thoughts on that machine, its about 11 yard machine.
An IH 412/ 412B are a good 11yd elevating scraper, dont know what parts are like for them, a 613 being Cat would probably have better parts back up, just my 2 cents worth. Cheers RDG.
Hi Randy, Glad to be of assistance. OK, single engined scrapers around 10-14 yards struck. Allis-Chalmers 260, 260A or Fiat-Allis 260B A lot of folks like these but they are getting rarer and parts are difficult to get unless you live in Canada (I'm told) Earlier machines have a slight curve to the bowl which makes them load well. LeTourneau-Westinghouse/Wabco - C Pull, 229 Bit more common than the Allis', the C-Pulls are all electric steer/bowl if you want to go down that track (many don't). Load real well in most materials but the bowl is gravity drop as its cale operated. The 229's are much better and are all-hydraulic. Anyone with GM/Allison experience can fix the engine or transmission. Final drives are bull gear & pinion so don't put a rough operator on one ! They have a tendency to nosedive in a turn and fill the radiator up with dirt if you don't fit a guard of some sort. Good scraper though. Clark-Michigan 210 Might be an option if you can find a cheap one. Powertrain is all Clark so parts shouldn't be too much of a problem. They weren't very common in their day and are a little heavy on the front axle. Caterpillar 611, 621 Cat built for a short time a smaller single engined open bowl called the 611. The most times I see these now are as watercarts so I suppose that says something. 621's - try to avoid the 'A' model (23H series) with the D336 V8 engine - gutless and expensive to repair. Also a hard to load bowl unless you've got a couple of D8's up its backside. 621B's are way better and handle nicely. Like the Michigan a bit heavy on the front axle. Parts for a 621B should not be a problem. 613's - all elevators and a very hard riding machine. Only consider as a last resort. Euclid/Terex Although the S-24 is probably a bit bigger than what you're after it is a fine and reliable machine that loads well in most materials. Gumbo can get stuck up in the curve of the bowl floor. Powertrain is all GM/Allison so no problems there. They also sound great - one of the better ways to turn diesel into noise !! S-12 - I've already mentioned this one in a previous post. They are quite rare and have a manual transmission. S-7's are the 'baby' but again, a simple and reliable tool - perhaps a bit small for your application. Not a good idea to put sideboards on them as they tend to labor along. International Harvester 270 n& 431 No one has mentioned IH so far so here goes. The 270 was a 14 cubic yard machine with a self detonating engine. Many were repowered and have since had very useful lives. The 431 is a single engined version of the 433, again 14 cubic yards. Pretty nic riding and loading machine Parts for both of the above could be an issue. John Deere Only elevators but real good quality machines. The 860B and 862B are fine machines and parts should not present too much of an issue This is a brief overview of what's out there and I hope its of some use to you. Cheers The WabcoMan
I've stumbled across about a half dozen cat 613B's with an open bowl also several IH or dresser 412B's I think is the number with open bowls on as well, the parts issue on the dresser or IH am told might be a problem, the cat 613B I'm told has a weak neck since it was designed for an elevator version and not an open bowl, but nobody really knows anything about the open bowl version that I've talked to. I've also come across several deere open bowl machines as well, but again nobody knew how strong of a neck they had since they were designed for an elevator version instead, all I"ve talked to so far have said the above machines were not designed for open bowls or to be pushed with anything for any reason. Which brings me to the cat 621B again pretty heavy for what I'm wanting to do but am told is about my only option left, now I"m also told it came in either a cushion hitch or ridgid hitch, know nothing about either option, the main thing anyone has told me of this is for parts availability and thats about the only reason, nobody that metioned it liked the cat scrapers at all but didn't really chat much as to why not other than a pain to work on and they happened to be not as good of design and as durable as terex or some of the others. The guy with wabco's said not to venture into them parts we almost impossible to get even for his machines he runs, otherwise he loved them dearly and wished they still made them and parts for them. So as they say this sums up my knowledge so far on motor scrapers. I've got several jobs coming up next year that requires us to move not a huge amount of dirt but enough to make it worthwhile to buy at least one, so while we are at the job doing other work I can have one person hauling dirt for these secondary smaller jobs for the same person, the haul on several is about a half mile or maybe more and a dozer and pull type scraper is out of the question, they don't want the dozer with tracks going into and around their yard and buildings. I've got several other jobs that the haul isn't as long, under 1000 feet but I'm not wanting several different machines to do each job and was thinking a motor scraper would do both just fine. I've looked at and talked to a lot of people with elevating scrapers and I've for now ruled them out, too many moving parts and too much rock, or granite which would be worse than limestone which there is plenty of as well. There is no shortage of cat 621b's on auctions coming up, but the rest on your list are pretty rare, in fact some I've never seen advertised at all, let alone heard of in my area. Everyone is either going to haul trucks or tractor and pans, neither really appealed to me, we've been doing the truck and load thing before and its not even remotely cost or time effective from what I"ve seen for the type of work I"m looking to do. We'll have a push cat available doing shaping at the load area anyhow so if its needed we'll already have someone in the seat, and as for shaping and landscaping the dumping end we can just drop a dozer there for the scraper operator to use as he see's fit. No I"m not concerned with turn around and efficiency as much on these jobs as most are, we're just looking to get them done, in most cases its the guys wife's project anyhow and she's just happy to see progress on "her" project and to get the fill brought in and good dirt to cover up the rocks so it looks good when we're done, you could call it landscaping on a large scale for the front yard, really large scale in fact. Thanks for the info, keep any and all advice coming, since basically I'm clueless as to what to look for or buy,
There is a thread in the scraper section here from a bloke who has 2 x 412Bs may be you should contact him and get his opinion. RDG.
Randy,I reckon you would not go wrong with a 14 even though its a twin ,otherwise there must be a S7 lying around the USA somewhere.All the best.Kerry.
S7 is 7 yards level. (Approx 10 or 11 yards heaped) The Terex model numbers denote the level capacity. ( S7 is 7 yards, TS14 is 14yards, ts24 is 24 yards.) I never ran an S11E, I believe they were made by another manufacturer (Michigan? or Hancock maybe?) I believe all the S11s were self-loading. (The E in terex model numbers means Elevating. S11E, S23E are self loaders) They did make an S12, which was an open bowl machine. My father ran one way back when. And I knew of another one parked near here, was scrapped unfortunately. Old style machine 5speed Fuller manual trans with clutch I never heard of an open bowl 613, but I know Cat made a 611.
Any idea what a Euclid 26SH would be, seen one advertised on machinerytrader and know nothing about it, any idea on size or power, age, anything, did terex take over euclid or did they merge or whats the history on them. Have never seen in person a 613B open bowl machine but one person has sent me pictures on one with a blown 3208 cat engine and the rest is supposed to be in good shape, saw four others sold on auctions this past year, and never had the time to go look for myself what they consisted of or looked like. Have been told by several that they are not strong enough neck to use an open bowl design on a elevating scraper platform, that and they are hard riding and didn't have enough gears in the transmission, they were spaced too far apart in gearing. Talked to several about the dresser 412B's and they told me the same story, its not a strong enough neck for an open bowl machine and you can't push load them without destroying the neck, parts are hard to come by but they were supposed to be a nice riding and loading scraper
Hi Randy The open bowl version of a 613 is technically called a 611. Personally have never seen one but have seen and worked on alot of 613s A to C. Never saw a cracked neck; but did see; and repaired alot of the lower hitches that needed line boring. Can,t really see how pushing can hurt the neck; as the push is directed to the cutting edge, not the hitch. But i suppose if you,ve got a ******** pushing with a D7 or bigger anything is possible. Have pushloaded alot of 11yd size wabcos and michigans with a D4E and never had any problems, case of horses for courses. Was only pushing because of wet clay conditions. Id still keep a open mind about a TS14 tho; one of the greatest motorscrapers ever built IMHO. Have seen more than one man do most of the final grading on a subdivision with one. They only used the 120G to grade the metal to prepare for sealing !
Hi Merv, Thought the tractor unit on a 611 was the same as a 615, not a 613. The open bowls made for the 613B were manufactured by Rome Industries. The IH 412B's that you see were manufactured especially for the U.S military and parts may be quite hard to obtain Randy88 - 26SH is the serial number prefix of the back end of a Euclid S-7 (front end is 4UOT) Cheers The WabcoMan
Looks like D6 Merv beat me to it about pushloading being hard on the hitch, the push goes straight to the cutting edge so there is less load on the goose neck than when self loading where the tractor part is towing the bowl/cutting edge thru the ground. May be the neck theyre talking about is the operators neck as a cowboy on a pushdozer can give you a few neck problems. We used to always push load 412s/ 613s back in NZ with TD15s/ D6Ds and never had any gooseneck problems other than normal wear and tear. When pushing an elevating scraper the pusher needs to ease of a bit as the elevator slows to allow it to clear its self or it will stall out, you dont just give it full power as in an open bowl. Cheers RDG.
Randy88; Mate maybe just use a Dozer and tow scraper (pan) Cheers Leroy
I'll definately check out the Euclid S7 machine, as for the cat 613B can anyone tell me about its downfalls, shortcomings or even its good points, the ones around me are mostly anti cat 613 and there are only two machines, both elevators versions near me at all. I was wanting a machine light in weight for ag work, there's a lot of tile in the ground and we plan on taking a lot of the topsoil off of it while building terraces and things and the worry is we'll crush the tile or shove it out of alignment with a large scraper when the ground isn't bone dry. I haven't ruled anything out yet, the twin terex is appealing to me on more than one level, just the weight makes me hold back some, maybe its not a big deal, we're asking as many questions as we can to get somewhat educated so we can form an educted guess as to what to do. We've even considered two machines, one single engine and also a twin engine terex for the money they bring its not like we'd have a terrible amount in two machines. The 613B with a blown engine, would anyone even venture into that one, if you couldn't move or check out the machine other than what you see is what you get, I"ve never done that before, I've always run and put anything I look at throught the paces and check for wear and tear and listen to the engine, transmission and hydraulics, in this case thats not possible and it makes me more than a little nervous or would I be the only one? As old as that S7 would be are parts still available or since they are mostly common stuff its nothing to worry about. By the photos it appears to be built pretty hefty and also simple by comparing it to others. Can you guys tell me whats different with the terex setup like the S7 verses others out there, lower center of gravity, heavier framework, stronger hydraulics, does it have downpressure on the bowl on those machines, weak areas to look at that gave problems. Its a long dirve to go see and if I had some idea of what to look for it would help out a lot, I'm probably not going to be able to go look more than just once at it and if I knew ahead of time what to be looking for or at, it would help a lot. Thanks guys on the time and infomation your giving me on this.
If its weight you are worried about a 613/412 size machine come in around 25 ton loaded a TS 14 is about 25 ton empty, as for the S7 thnk they had the 4/71 engine with Allison transmission or fuller stick shift, as for the hyds the 14s have no down pressure on the bowl or apron so its probable the S 7 was the same. Probably the 3208 motor in the 613 would be its worst point. . As aussie leroy said maybe a dozer and towed scraper might be the go, lot lighter, beter in wet going, can drop the scraper off and go and do dozer work when requried, only one engine to feed fuel to. We used to use towed scrapers a lot in NZ TD 15 and 8/11 yds and TD 25s with cat 80 and 463 scrapers, some outfits over there still use towed hyd scrapers over there mainly Kokudu scrapers dehind D 85 and 155s Komatsus. RDG.
Hi Richard; you are most likely correct, 615 tractor unit would be far better than a 613, and should make quite a good smaller, single scraper. I have seen pics of a open bowl 613 but yes probably a rome product. Thanks and cheers. Merv. ps Neils machinery in paeroa has a S7; 471 and allison that needs a good home if you know anyone who needs a project. Is a runner and would tidy up easily.
I'm guessing that paeroa is in new zealand, if so the boat ride to the states would cost more than the S7 might be worth. Also what would make a 615 far better than a 613, besides the engine and having more gears to choose from, someone was telling me about the design differences in the two machines but didn't elaborate much, D6 Merv could you shed some insight on the machines.
yeah, sorry Randy S7 is in NZ. Posted it there so wabcoman and anyone else over here would know about it. Too good to wreck in my opinion. 615 is a bigger heavier machine than a 613, along with a bigger and better engine. 3306 vs 3208; 265hp i think vs 150. so is going to be alot better pulling a open bowl scraper. Also the trans and diff can be abit weak on a 613 if abused or neglected. Is a few 615s here and owners seemed quite happy with them. One other thing i thought about is how would one of those Ashland or similar scoops go behind a big 4wd John Deere tractor or similar. Is even a few of these working over here on clay jobs.? Just another option to consider as those 2 are going to be alot newer also than say a TS14. Often its what you can find; and whats the best buy for your buck.
Randy. If you could get one of Eric C Orlemann,s books on TEREX and EUCLID equipment I think it would answer alot of your questions.Good luck. Kerry.
Thanks I've asked about books at the library and did a google on the net but did't come up with the author, so it didn't do me much good, now I've searched a few places and they are getting back to me to let me know if the book is still there or been sold already.
Randy I bought mine at Borders but they are gone. Amazon may have have them
I've checked several places already that are out, a couple more with used books are getting back to me, which amazon was linked with, I'd have never thought to buy a book was so complicated, apparently there are a lot of people out there that like to read and buy books, up to today I never knew you had to wait to find out if a used book was available and most of those are sold out as well, and they rate them on condition. I'm feeling old today for some reason, either that or illiterate not sure which. I"m wondering if my old high school books are worth anything, most haven't even been opened before so they must be considered in mint condition.
Pretty sure the 615 has a suspended axel hence a smoother ride. RDG
TS-18s have the power to move a considerable amount of yardage per day and use very little fuel. My buddy has a fleet of 18s in use today and it is interesting to see 1972 year machines moving material in a fast and efficient manner in a high tech world. They are loud, basic and mean and green muscle with few headaches of todays machines that require a laptop to diagnose a glitch of some sort. They do however take a considerable amount of wrenching to keep the fuse lit but the design is fairly simple to work on as each machine seems to have its own personality and reliability factor. I have a 14G that works well in the right conditions but cant run with the 18s speed, it is still efficient and moves yardage in a cost effective manner.
we run 2 ts 14b and have an 8 pushing...i wish we had d models with turbos
Feast Contractors TS32's To keep this post alive heres a couple of article photos of the TS32's imported into NZ. First of 4 out of a total 6 operational machines arrived Mar 77...with a then estimated replacement value of $ 3.2 mil (NZ). The remaining 2 non operational machines arrived Apr 77
Does anyone have any video of TS14G's working would love to see some footage cheers Leroy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hompSm4PV8
Tinkerer; Thanks mate they are a couple good looking 14's but i was looking for video of TS14"G"s late model 14's with the cumming 5.9 litre engines Thanks Leroy
what happened to the scraper link on you tube cant find the video
1987 Terex TS14B Pan Scraper For sale on-line auction; located W New York State; Join the fun! http://www.auctionsinternational.com/servlet/Search.do?auctionId=405&itemId=3860
Judge6226 I know where it is setting. I have been driving by for the past few years they have had the machine.
ha Kerry now if you only had a cat os would win all the time ,be work too pay for it
Jason Harrison has one for sale. http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-f...achinery/other-machines/auction-631492810.htm
Terex scrapers in action a few years ago
A few more
Those S-24Bs were Tricon Kents at one time, very distinctive rear trashrack, they occasionally top loaded them with a Holland loader. From Colorado they auctioned something like 20 of them in one day at a Forke Brothers auction. Graham
I run a 14 5 days a week.
Ducksnuff870 Do you operate a 14G?? i would like to see some footage of a 14G working
No I operate a B and a C.I actually worked on a job in the next town over from the old Terex factory in Ohio.I've never seen a G working but am curious. Our mechanic talked like he was told to stay away from the units with electronic shift. On a different note I know of a 14 that was switched from 2 detroits to 2 deere engines. I never got to use the machine. It was auctioned off. I started my career operating a Cat challenger pulling a K tec scraper.I loved it.Still scratching my head as to how I ended up on a TS14.
Ducksnuff870; Thanks i have heard about the electrics problems, i just want to watch one work to see how they go ???. Now your on real scrapers whats the C like compared to the B, I have only ever been on Bs 14s and 24s Thats a nice full bowl in that pic
The C's seem to have slightly more power. The C's hyd. levers are smaller. Our C's have 6 spd trans. 3rd gear is about as fast as I usually get. Out C's also seem to be much quieter than our B's.
Ducksnuff870 i wonder if that one with the 2 Deere motors is the one we ended up with. how long ago did it get auctioned?
I dont remember the exact year 08 09 maybe? It was in Ohio.
Guys; who can tell me what year this machine is TS14B serial #T3724 Brazil made ? . cheers Leroy This machine has V6 GMs what HP are thay
Does anyone no a website you can look up TEREX Scraper, serial numbers, year made, etc . thankyou Leroy
I don't know of a website, but I had a book that listed all Terex models by serial number, years built, and numbers built. Problem is that I cant recall the name of the book, and all my books are packed away in storage.
I posted too soon, I think this is the book I was thinking of: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Euclid-...320?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item58a1b9ad30
Euclid had a Handbook, like the Cat Handbooks. I am not sure what the last year was for it, and if it did or did not cover the Terex/Euclid days. It is called the : "Euclid Hauler Handbook" you might search for one of them on amazon or Ebay.
One I seen yesterday , TS24 Terex Motor Scraper TS24 by lancef2 , on Flickr
Hi Aussie Leroy My name is Sonia I am in Tasmania. We have a 222g scraper that we are in desperate need of a final drive crown wheel and pinion just hoping you could help or are in the know of someone that could help
try goodman contractors in nz,im sure they could help,spud
Sorry Sonia; I been in Canada for a month i just got back, terexkerry is right goodmans or yeatman bros in NZ would be the guys to steer you straight Cheers Leroy
Do y'all know anything about TEREX TA 40 haul trucks? Mine keeps shearing the u-joint bolts or breaking the yoke on the front drive shaft coming from front differential back to the transfer case. It's a real short shaft. This thing is really eating me up. If you can help me figure this out I'd sure be grateful. Thanks Bryan Dyer in Ambridge Pa
Bryan, check that the universal joints are perfectly aligned. One tooth out on the spline can cause all sorts of problems
u-joint issues Thanks for your input. We found that the damper on the fly wheel was bad. Also it was not the drive shaft from differential to transfer case but the drive shaft from the engine damper at the flywheel to the front of the transmission. We got a new damper back in it today and will put it back in service in the morning, we'll know for sure at that point. Also I will definitely double check for proper alignment on the splines, that makes complete sense although everything looked right at installation but we will definitely double check that. I will post how it turned out tomorrow evening. Thanks again.
any options/opinions on how to get train on scrappers?????????? im a newbie
Help help hel..... Someone tell me where to get experience . Is there another post on how to get experience
Nudge