found a deal on some IH 431/433 scrapers made in the mid/ late 70s, haven't bought them yet or looked at them, need some opinions on them first, any body on hear been around them ? how did the transmissions/torque converts hold up in them, i know they got the dvt800 series engine in them and that is a expensive engine to work on, been down that road with some IH 4586s 4wd tractors, had a one time, can you still get the major parts for them ? the deal comes with a couple of parts machines, if get them looking at running them till major repairs come up then make pull pans out of them, no way going to stick a lot of $$$$$$$$ in them to keep them running, been around lots of cat 621 to 637 scrapers but never any IH ones, any opinions on them would be appreciated, thanks
Like I told a novice heavy eqt salesman over here, "All machines are good when they are new"............ it's when you run 'em awhile do you know the difference......mainly parts availability and support. ............ the problem is exacerbated when buying used stuff, and I think that the majority of eqt owners out here are used eqt buyers. I've never run an I.H. other than a farm tractor and all of those have too much Hp, and not enough weight in all the critical areas. (had a I.H. 4568 4x4 also) I dunno about their const. eqt. But I'd be careful in buying an old I.H. scraper. Most importantly, make sure you've got an outlet for parts supply and some support when it starts acting goofy.
In addition to my comments over on Redpower, I'd add this...get some young guys in good shape to run them, they don't have any cushion hitches to worry about! Either way, let us know how this deal turns out. And please, take some pictures! Alan627b
Alan627b is very correct; get some young guys to run 'em. I'd start at the High School Football Team. You'll need strong, young guys, right out of high school, with good backs. I think this goes for most scrapers that I've run.... takes a little effort and training, but it can be done. Everybody learns somewhere.
I've had a bit of seat time on 433's - went real well, good ride even without cushion hitch. Great visibility to the cutting edge. I have to admit that I liked the thing. It was fitted with a "PayMate" (push-pull) but I didn't get to use it. As the others have said, just make sure you can get parts for it before you commit any $$$'s
433 scraper Wabcoman just wondering who you were working for that had 433s in NZ I know there were a couple down Wellington way and Fenton Bros in Ngatea had a couple, G A Renner in Tauranga had the 444 which was the only 444 in NZ that I know of, dont know if any were in the South Island or not. I did a bit on Renners 444 when they had it, had plenty of grunt 310hp in front 185 in the back could load it self in its own length without a push in good dirt, they eventually sold it to Fentons who were stripping a coal mine in Huntly at the time.
I have some of these they are 433b's and have move tons and tons of earth with them they have twin disc transmissions which twinn disc have been around forever so i have not had any tranny problems actually the only thing that i have had to replace is 466 rear engines like all other twinn engines the rear engine is back there in the dust i just go to the international farm dealer and get a replacement takes really no time to replace one and farm dealer is more than half of what the komatsu dealer price is for the same thing the parts come and say komatsu now days some are obsolete little things not no major parts these scraper's are really good dirt movers they will out do a ts14 and earley 627's I also have some ts18's they do a great job also but are a little heavier 433b are 14-21yds 627 and ts 14 are 14-20yds where the ts18 is 18-24yds you will need to check the ejector channels for wear i have replace mine cut the old out and welded the new in I had to have them made with the right bend my dealer got me the blue print on them so i took it to a shop where they made them. I had a axle seal go bad and hired one dealer to repair it when they put my wheel back on they did not get something right the wheel just about feel off broke the bolts off chewed up my axle gear and ruined my plantary luckly i had spares an axle itself was $9,000 then i had it out with the dealer so after that our local komatsu dealer does all the heavy stuff on them other than that they are a good old scrapers that gets giant loads by itself and eject them very nice.
RDG The 433's I had some time on were John McLoughlins at the Police Training College site in Porirua, 74-75. There were so many scrapers on that job - 433's TS-14's, TS-24's, TS-18's, 627's, 222F & 222G's, 110HT's - we used to swap machines for a day to see "how the other half lived" and what the machines were like. It was all great fun - and we got paid to do it !
Just a few pics of a 444 back in NZ.
Hi WabcoMan That 433 you used to drive with the push pull hook on it, Is that the one Mckay Earthmovers I think had ? from Wellington, then he took it upto Whakatane when he moved up there.
Hi Brainzie, The 433 was owned by John McLoughlin (he was from Upper Hutt). There was a LOT of private contractors plant on that job and to relieve the boredom we used to swap machines. I was on a TS-14 at bthe time and changed employers during the course of it going on to a Wabco 222G. For your info & from memory the following were on site: Ministry of Works - 5 x TS-14 ( all UK built B12UOT's) Barry Andrews - TS-24 Ray Withers - TS-24 ( a real oldie) Don Foster - TS-14B John McLaughlin - IH 433 & 2 x IH E211 Goodman E/M - Wabco 222G, 222F, 2 x 111A Greg Lamb - Terex S11E series B Wainui Shingle - Michigan 110HT Camerons Carrying - 2 x TS-14B Fletchers - 2 x Cat 627 (68M's) Taylor & Culley - 3 x TS-14 There were also a couple of Cat 613's owned by private contractors whose name I can't recall. They rode so badly I only did a couple of trips on them ! :drinkup
Thanks WabcoMan. The old man bought a 433 back in the 90`s and it came with a push pull hook, it was taken off cos we only had the on 433. Just wandering how many were set up as push pull. Alan Cameron ended up with it to have a pair, not sure if he still owns it.
What were the issues with the 466's (PM sent)
Bigrus, Usually the cause of rear engine failure is dusting. Depends on where you're working. Air cleaner maintenance is a MUST
466 engine dramas My querie relates to blowby from the breather on my graders' engine, being a NA 466. Had a "dodgy" donaldson that wasn't manufactured very straight installed in 05 when I was working on the Qld NSW border (extreme red dust). Engine sufferred blowby before rebuild in 01 was still breathing slightly afterwards, now 8000 hrs later is dripping oil out aforementioned breather & has an oil dribble from exhust on No 4 when revved up after a period of idling. Thinking it could be rings hopefully the worsed culprit is on No 4 :beatsme
What part of Missouri did you find these jewels? A friend of mine is getting ready to cut a couple up for scrap.
Hi Bigrus, Sounds like you've got a stuck ring or two to me. Fortunately parts for the 466 aren't too hard to come by.
Thanks Mr Wab We're kind of thinking something along those lines, will find out next week or so when the engine is removed, some other issues to be addressed while it's out too