Dear Forum, I have purchased a used FD5 and it was steering fine for about 5-10 hours of light pushing while I learned how to operate it. It has recently started to not want to steer to the left when I push the left lever (only slightly turns). If I push both levers and stop the machine and then release the right lever and hold the left lever down it will then take hold and steer left. I have purchased the manual for the steering clutches for it and it shows what seems to be an easy adjustment of the linkage that would correct the problem. I hope that this is all that will need to be done, could it be that simple to fix this problem? If it doesn't fix the problem what would be the next step to determine if it is more that an adjustment or in other words how can I determine if the clutch needs to be replaced in the event the adjustment doesn't work? Any tips on making the adjustment would also be appreciated and thanks much in advance to anyone who responds that can assist me on the beginnings of my adventures with a dozer. r/ Les
I had a FD5 and loved it, Make sure your park brake is not catching mine was doing the same thing and it was the linkage under the seat catching. I have info on it 63 hp iveko engine. if it has a tach instument it is newer than 85
I have one too, its a great dozer. There is a linkage from the brake pedal that operates 2 levers. One is the hydraulic control to disengage the clutch to remove power from that side, the other is the brake band to stop that side to turn. What I would do it try to determine if it seems like its disengaging, but just not stopping, or its trying to stop that side but not disengaging so the dozer overpowers the brakes and keeps going. It has to be adjusted so that it disengages the clutch on that side just before it applies the brakes on that side. From what you said it seems like its not disengaging the clutch on that side, unless you use the centre pedal. So compare how far the hydraulic control operates when you press the centre pedal vs the left pedal, and it may reveal that it needs to go a little further when the left pedal is pressed.
Ok, I have made the adjustment as per the manual on the linkages. It will not steer for some reason. I do not have the operators manual yet but it looks like I'll be ordering one now. I have adjusted the linkages about 1 inch which also brought it to the maximum allowed. The reservoir on the back of the dozer was low on fluid and I was hoping that perhaps being low on fluid was the problem and get lucky.. not the case. I wonder if the actual clutch plates are gone. When I depress the center pedal (brake) it does stop the machine. When I depress the right or left pedals it seems to slow the rpm's just a tad but not near enought to make it stop on that side so that it can turn. Does anyone have any suggestions from this point or the name of someone in Northern Minnesota that does good work on this type of machine? Thanks forum folks.
The operators manual will not help, get the service manual at a new holland dealer or ebay, it sounds like now it does not steer left or right. Hyd tank on rear trans down low.
When you stop, does it bog down the motor like when you try to turn? Its strange because if it doesnt that means when you press the brakes it is disengaging both clutches. It turns neither direction? Again strange because it has two separate clutches, and two separate pistons to allow hydraulic fluid to disengage the clutches.
Hi dadfinger,I have never been around a Fiat FD5.Had steering clutch trouble on my 16-B one time.I would pull the steering clutch levers and the dozer kept wanting to pull.My problem turned out to be a clogged suction screen in the steering clutch pump circut.cleaned it up & went back to work.For service manuals ,parts books,& parts I go to www.minnpar.com
Did you adjust the brakes themselves we had very little trouble with the linkage usualy the brakes would wear and not catch under the seat you will see two big nuts on top of the brake housings take a small ratchet and tighten them down till they are snug (just very light pressure on the wrench) then back them off about a turn. that should be about right you DO NOT need the machine running to do this!
I have a Fiat Ad7 dozer and it was fine and pushed a fair no of dam walls then it started to give a problem when trying to turn to the right . We have striped it and found that the steering clutch has worn a little .What was happening was that when the left clutch was suppose to engage it was slipping causing the dozer not to turn to the right . I am looking for extra steering clutch plates and discs dose any one know where to find them , there are eleven on either side .
any updates?? I'm having same issues. need help and ideas
how do you adjust the steering clutches on a fiat allis fd5 dozer mine works but got to push pedals in real far thx where are the adjustments at under the seat?
the right works pretty good but the left takes a miute are 2 but hardly works
I never adjusted mine. Was a stick valve.