Purchased FD9 for a seemingly good price to do work on my property. Machine was running great , transported home to the mountains , unloaded and steered fine , crossed a fairly steep creek bed , right clutch stoped working and less than 30 yards left clutch stopped working. Lower hydraulic indicator for the clutches , steering and bevel gear was empty , added 20 gallons of fresh fluids. Seemed to improve breaks but no help on the clutches. Currently have rear filter , and "spring" filter under floor board pulled , " spring " filter is a mess as well as the magnet ... Not much I can do at the moment due to current weather conditions. Looking for advice on possible issues and fixes. Also looking to source parts and filters - thanks in advance
I don't know your tractor at all but I'd wager the steering clutches are wet running and have seized or melted themselves together from lack of lubrication. What I've done in the past with a similar scenario is to clean the filter screen and replace any filters in that area or system, refill with the recommended fluid, and drive the tractor with either one, or both steering clutches pulled, (released) but do not apply brakes. On, and off power with the throttle reversing directions often. Many times you can get one set to free before the other. Once one side has broken free, it is much easier to load and release the other side by applying and releasing the steering now working steering clutch. You say the compartment/reservoir was very low and the filters, and magnets are a mess. Please explain. Is this friction material, or metal shards, chunks, etc.
Thanks for the reply ! They are wet clutches. The " spring " was loaded with debris , the magnet in the center was thin metal "slices " , the oil surrounding the magnet in the middle of the filter was grease like , thick. After purchasing I reached out to the prior owner , zero maintenance in 6 years , only capped off fluids when needed. With this knowledge perhaps the filters are not that bad given the service record . It was listed as " runs perfect " and my mechanic buddy could not make the trip. I have a guy that is willing to help me service the entire machine but any suggestions are helpful !
Good luck trying to get parts
" Good luck trying to get parts " makes me feel much better
The largest hurdle you are going to face is locating new, or even good used parts. The best place to start is manuals for the machine; both parts, and service. Once you know what you are chasing, it is a lot easier in the quest. Don't forget you are looking for parts for a machine that hasn't been produced for many years from a company that no longer exists. That can be discouraging in itself and sometimes not for the feint of heart. They were pretty good machines but FA didn't stay around long enough to have a lot of spares available. I assume you have some limited knowledge of mechanics to post what you have so far. I would follow as suggested to ascertain what is actually bad and do get a set of books so you know how to proceed going forward. The reservoir being empty is reason for concern and this could be something as simple as a gasket being bad and leaking out if no other compartment or reservoir is flooding over.
1693 - I have downloaded and printed all the manuals and parts catalog as well , $300 worth - ufff - I have a decent knowledge base on mechanics , I am a licensed Commercial GC and can wrap my head around most problems , that said Im hammer fisted and something in my brain makes me cuss and throw things when I start wrenching , I usually have someone around that has more patience and I work side by side with them. Making the purchase I knew I would have to make some mental changes ... I do have friends in Italy and speak the language , that said it is my understanding now a lot of FA ended up down under or in South America ?
I am sure you will find your parts, either in "the land of the free and the home of the brave” , or elsewhere in the world. Fiat Allis dozers are widely used in Australia, not so much for commercial earthmoving, but more so in agriculture and pastoral enterprises. Australian Fiat Allis parts suppliers regularly source parts from Italy. As you speak Italian, and have the parts manual, this Italian company is a manufacturer and supplier of Fiat Allis parts:- https://www.ghinassi.com Otherwise these Australian companies may be able to help you:- http://philhuntparts.com.au http://gwtractors.com.au https://www.tractorspareparts.com.au
Dug and or dan ... may I buy ya beer ?
Your tractor is more of a European design than a 100% Allis-Chalmers derived product. I don't know about parts availability in other countries but both AC, and later FA were all over the globe. As a young man I do remember both the FL, and FD series tractors on the grounds in Springfield, IL as I was growing up but have never worked on one. Although I don't believe a dozer, is a dozer, is a dozer, there are so many similarities between designs, a guy willing to work with something can get by pretty good. Lot of small rebuilders still around and thanks to the internet, many can be rooted out. Cost? The initial purchase price is just the entrance fee and the least $$$ to keep things working. Having the books will initially get you some part numbers to scrounge from. Don't rule out the agriculture side in your quest as many parts get used over there also. Those Fiat engines were in a lot of agriculture items as example. As stated I don't know your tractor at all but I'd attempt to get a look at the steering clutch drums and visibly see, or smell anything burnt. Also look at the outer diameter which could by your service brake drums. Look to see if you have much friction material left on the linings that stop the tractor as no need destroying parts unnecessarily. Being new to you these are preliminary checkovers. Given the seller doesn't appear to 100% forthwith, I would certainly look it over closely, and as you have, enlist help for what you don't know. My thoughts worth what they cost.
The RH track appears to be extremely tight but, it / they may need to be because the sprocket teeth look like they have a lot of wear on them.
Book says about an inch sag , so you are correct sir ! - Sprockets seem to be overly worn compared to the rest of the undercarriage ! But what a good eye ! - would the worn sprockets cause a man to over grease and put tension on the tracks or .... the sprockets wear causing the tension ? Mechanic buddy mentioned the track tension and sprocket wear as well ! again good call