Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fiat Allis HD31B?

North Texan ยท 2011-07-30 23:59

I'm looking at doing a good bit of mesquite grubbing and raking. We currently have a JD 750 narrow gauge dozer (8' blade) with winch that's a hangover from the oilfield days. It works fine for clearing fencelines or running to a fire and getting a line around it, but it is on the small side for cleaning/digging tanks, or grubbing and raking. I've been trying to find a decent D8H or D8K. Haven't found one yet, but I've run across a Fiat Allis HD31B that looks like it is in good shape at what appears to be a good price. It looks like it would be a little hard to move down the road, but I would really only plan on moving it down the road twice: Once when I buy it, and maybe once more if/when I sell it. Ideally, I'd use it to clear about a pasture or two a year, then move over and clear another. By the time I get it from east to west, I'd put a root plow on it and start over again. Right now, I'd be cleaning tanks with it. Some of them have been dry for >6 months. Need to dig a few more. How are these dozers to operate and work on, and how hard is it to get parts for these machines? Will a single axle winch truck be enough to work on most of the stuff that breaks down?

Replies5
  1. #1Trashman2011-07-31 11:23

    Those machines do have a lot of power but my overall experience with these machines was not good. The last one we owned, we had for five years. Out of that five years it spend over 300 days in the shop. Before you buy call your local New Holland dealer and ask about parts and service availability. In North Texas your dealer is probably Bane Machinery. Good luck and post some pictures.

  2. #2OmniEquipped2011-07-31 14:12

    As with any old dozer, it's about the condition of the machine when you buy it and how you maintain it when you own it. Check out this guy. I bought a turbo from him a couple of years ago. He's got experience with the 31 and can likely provide a knowledgeable assessment.

  3. #3lpnt652011-08-07 05:32

    Hi i have had good experience with FA31 they were over designed , I remember corectly they are built on FD 41 Base This put them in a class above Cat The reports i had they lasted longer than aCat on same work and when both machines were overhauled at same hours the FA31 was only 1/3 of cost of Cat to over haul if the FA had back up of Caterpillar there would have been far fewer Cats sold

  4. #4Animal2011-08-24 04:40

    Hi, Vanatta logging up in Washington State have a 31 and a 41 and seem to be petty happy with them. Have a look on their web site, www.vanattabros.com ,

  5. #5lpnt652011-08-24 06:28

    Hi Mr & Mrs Animal, the Vanatta bros site is a good one aye, I have often had a browse over the past few years allways enjoy it, Take care , stay outa the snow Lpnt65