Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Waking a Hd6B after a 25 year nap

Maine HD6B Dude ยท 2011-07-30 13:29

Came across this 1956 HD6B in an auto junk yard. Had been sitting for 25 years. I drained the engine oil and changed oil filter, installed two new batteries, topped the radiator and cranked a few turns. Then I gave it a shot of ether and it started like it had been run yesterday. With a rotten exhaust manifold-muffler, it was ready for Maine's black fly season. Have not restored it yet.

Replies8
  1. #1ACcrazy2011-07-30 21:28

    Nice! So what are your plans for it?

  2. #2250c2011-07-31 09:48

    Wow Maine blackflys! You brought back memory's--not good ones lol. Where in Maine are you located? I spent the winter in Houlton 2 years ago.

  3. #3Maine HD6B Dude2011-07-31 12:36

    Hello 250, Would that be a IH 250 model? I am from the southern part of Maine near the shipyard in Bath. The Black Birds were kind to us this spring. About 4 years ago I cornered a TD20-B that was parked for 25 years. It was supposedly started once a year , but not moved. Mike

  4. #4Maine HD6B Dude2011-07-31 12:42

    Hello Ac, Once I cool the irons in the fire, I will needle gun and paint it. The reason it was parked was because of a steering clutch problem on the right side. I replaced all the clutch discs and brake band and it steers like new. The owner's Dad had left a drain plug in the right steering clutch housing. That made it sweat and rust like an old oil drum in the sun. Mike

  5. #5250c2011-07-31 13:14

    Mike, It is a Dresser/International 250C with a 4n1 bucket. Did you do anything with the td 20?

  6. #6Budaboy2011-08-01 01:31

    Looks just like mine!

  7. #7Maine HD6B Dude2011-08-01 09:02

    OOOH nice dozer!. Looks like yours is a lot newer. Also like the winch you have on it. I threw the cage away cause it is way to small. I don't understand why they put the blade cylinders on my dozer on the push arms. Mine came with cylinder mounts on the nose. They maybe had a different blade manufacturer at the time.

  8. #8Maine HD6B Dude2011-08-01 10:53

    Hello 250c, I started out with engine oil and filter change. Pulled the injectors and tested them. Changed or cleaned all the hydraulic filters. Adjusted valve lash and then removed left sprocket and changed final drive seal. From there I picked away at repainting the dozer. I replaced the blade cylinder and tilt cylinder rods. The blade needs repainting and installing. The dozer has a Carco 80 winch on it.