Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Final Drive seal

Elrod007 ยท 2026-01-15 19:49

I am trying to replace a seal on my final drive for the gear oil. I have taken the cover off and removed the first set of planetary gears. The second set needs to come off but having trouble getting the gears off and it looks like it has a big threaded ring that has to come off to release the three gear hub. Maybe I am wrong , but cannot find one information to help me out. Looking for some guidance. Will post pictures of the final drive.

Replies9
  1. #1Elrod0072026-01-15 19:50

    Forgot. It is a Cat 259D . See number FTL04631

  2. #2Elrod0072026-01-15 19:51

    2016 year model

  3. #3Nige2026-01-15 20:01

    Unfortunately there is no disassembly procedure. Best I can find is an exploded parts drawing.

  4. #4Elrod0072026-01-15 20:30

    Thank You for your help. Appreciate it. Headed to Cat dealer in the morning.

  5. #5Nige2026-01-15 20:48

    If they happen to come up with a disassembly procedure (or anything useful TBH) be sure to post it up.

  6. #6Elrod0072026-01-15 21:17

    Will do.

  7. #7Elrod0072026-01-17 20:57

    Went to the Cat Dealer yesterday and talked with the service manager. He advised they have tried to replace the seals in these bonfigiliona final drives several times and they always leak after the repair. He advised to run them until they quit then replace with a new/reman unit. So I put it back together added oil and away I go.

  8. #8Tones2026-01-17 21:45

    The thing about Bonfiglioli is all their parts are proprietary with no aftermarket way out.

  9. #9Elrod0072026-01-17 21:47

    Thanks for your help.