Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Finding part number for Caterpillar repair manuals

92U 3406 · 2019-11-06 20:48

Thinking I'd like to purchase the actual service/repair manual for my 92U 3406. Where would a guy find the part number for it in SIS?

Replies33
  1. #1excavator2019-11-06 21:52

    Not sure if it works in Cat but for Deere I look it up in their bookstore.

  2. #2excavator2019-11-06 21:58

    I just looked in Caterpillarpublications and they only list parts manuals and operation & service manuals.

  3. #3Nige2019-11-07 06:51

    The attached link should help. Put your full engine Serial Number in the box for more accurate results. They are genuine Cat Manuals BTW. https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=92 U

  4. #492U 34062019-11-07 12:01

    Thanks ya'll!

  5. #5Nige2019-11-07 12:21

    It's the only place I've found online for Service Manuals, as opposed to Parts and O&M Manuals.

  6. #692U 34062019-11-07 16:15

    There's no where to find a part number in SIS? I have dealer level access in SIS. Just wanted a hard copy of the book for this engine I'm building to put in the RV hauler I'm building.

  7. #7Nige2019-11-07 16:19

    Not as far as I know. SIS only gives the publication number of each individual module that goes to make up the Service Manual, not the number of the assembled manual.

  8. #8Tyler d4c2019-11-07 17:48

    Cat publications.com check it out

  9. #9Nige2019-11-07 17:51

    Cat Publications don’t do Service Manuals, only Parts and O&M Manuals. See post #3 above.

  10. #10Bluox2019-11-07 21:44

    SEBR0512 92U1-up. Bob

  11. #11Tyler d4c2019-11-08 00:35

    My bad.

  12. #12Cmark2019-11-08 01:50

    Cat service manuals are a little different. If you order one, it comes as a binder with several different books inside: Disassembly and assembly, testing and adjusting, specifications, schematics, etc etc. If you have access to SIS, here's one option. A bit time consuming, but cheap. Download a .PDF writer. I use CutePDF. Open up a section of the manual in SIS. Click on "format for print" and print it as a .PDF file using your writer. Do the same with the other sections. Merge all the sections into one file. Put the file onto a flash drive, take it to your local printer and have them print it as a book.

  13. #13Nige2019-11-08 04:55

    Yeah, but they're making it harder to do these days. Each section in a manual now appears to be sub-divided into hundreds of sub-sections, and you have to print each one to pdf separately. Older manuals didn't seem to be like that. Each section in a manual had maybe 3-4 sub-sections, tops. But then again if your time's your own it's certainly an alternative.

  14. #14kshansen2019-11-08 10:09

    Tell me about it a year ago someone was on here from some small out of the way country and wanted a couple sections out of a service manual. So I figured use "cutepdf" and save the sections to a file and send it to him. Figured just do a media search on that sections and I was good to go. Yea Right! Remove belly pans, one file, remove oil pan, one file, remove oil pump suction lines, one file, remove oil pump, one file. Might not have been that bad but almost! And to make it worse I believe the various sections were arranged alphabetically and not in the order one would be doing the work like they would be in the printed version of the manual.

  15. #1592U 34062019-11-08 16:08

    That's what I hate about SIS. I'm relatively new to the CAT world. It is so annoying to look up a component removal procedure, then have to find 12 other procedures in the database that need to be followed before getting to the task you're supposed to be getting done.

  16. #16JD955SC2019-11-08 17:50

    Just wait till you have to find the special tooling that is listed by part number and named by one vague word at the top of the procedure with no photos and the tool part number is out of date so it doesn’t show up when you search for it in the dealer tool catalog oh and even better the new service manuals are pictograms instead of words

  17. #1792U 34062019-11-08 17:55

    We have a tool room guy to take care of that lol.

  18. #18JD955SC2019-11-08 22:03

    I wish we had a tool crib clerk. Then I wouldn’t have to spend hours looking for the tool I need (that likely isn’t there or if it is it’s broken/incomplete) and having to jury rig to get by.

  19. #19Bluox2019-11-09 03:15

    You are going to be happy with the Cat service manual for 3406 truck engines. Everything is in one book .They were made when Cat was heavy into the truck engine market. I think these are one of Cats better efforts . They were included in the truck manufactures service manuals. Bob

  20. #20John C.2019-11-10 12:02

    Oh for the days of single books like 980B or D8H service manuals.

  21. #21kshansen2019-11-10 17:50

    And wiring diagrams that fit on one page in the back of the parts book that was printed on 8 1/2 X 5 1/2 paper!

  22. #22Birken Vogt2019-11-10 18:11

    Once we bought a Duramax pickup for work, back when the were a new thing, and I insisted on also getting the service manual in print. That thing took up half a bookshelf and since I left I doubt anybody has cracked it. Truck is probably wore out anyway. I don't think the manual cost very much though.

  23. #23Snow Farmer2019-11-16 02:21

    I have a good service manual for our 420D backhoe, got it 8 or 9 years ago but had to buy it off ebay. It was not inexpensive. Each of 2 books cost over $400.00 CDN.

  24. #24thepaintguy2020-10-16 14:39

    This sounds like what I'm gonna need ...

  25. #25Nige2020-10-16 14:46

    What Serial Number of machine do you have.?

  26. #26thepaintguy2020-10-16 15:09

    The SN listed below the CAT# (PIN, I think) is 7BJ65340. Does that sound right? I just had it delivered last night, so at least I know now the lights don't work!

  27. #27Nige2020-10-16 15:26

    That's the engine Serial Number. Machine Serial Number is BLN04588 (last 8 characters of the 17-character PIN). Be on the lookout for Cat Publication RENR3570. That's for a complete Service Manual. I don't see any used paper ones at the moment. Here is a brand new one on CD for less than the regular $885 list price. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RENR3570-C...432D-Factory-Repair-Shop-Manual-/302321026468 A new paper manual (2 volumes) goes for $1600. Beware of attractively cheap manuals on eBay that are in fact only one of the two volumes.

  28. #28Nige2020-10-16 15:50

    Double post.

  29. #29thepaintguy2020-10-16 17:45

    Yes, that is indeed the last 8 characters on my machine. Impressive! I'm not wholly sure that I need the entire service manual, but it would definitely allow me to trace down and diagnose pretty much any issue. Thank you so much for the info. I'm going to post another thread focusing on reconstructing the IT system.

  30. #30Nige2020-10-16 18:15

    You could also consider a basic Operation & Maintenance Manual - about $50 to download a pdf version, or a Parts Manual - about $100 ditto. BTW The O&M Manual is included in the aforementioned service manual.

  31. #31thepaintguy2020-10-16 18:33

    I did get a downloadable version of this and it is also coming on a disc. It at least let me know what some of the switches and controls were.

  32. #32Nige2020-10-17 07:51

    For a Parts Manual, look for SEBP3510. Here's a paper one (version 05) that is close to 20 years old - https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Caterpi...SEBP3510-05-BLN4544-Up-July-2002/163453084693 You can get a brand-new one on CD for $20 more - https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEBP3510-Caterpillar-420D-Backhoe-Loader-Parts-Manual-Book-CD-/302944336526

  33. #33thepaintguy2020-10-18 02:59

    Thank you again!