Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tool loaner programs

partsandservice ยท 2019-11-06 09:08

Since this keeps coming up over and over here of late, I was thinking we should set up some kind of special tool share program with in the HEF. Currently I am need of magic wrench that I can wave over the machine so it can be repaired without buying any parts and very little labor. If anyone would be kind enough to let me borrow theirs I would gladly rent it and pay the freight to have it sent here and back. This would be so beneficial to my customers and would make it easier for them to "stay in business" when they refuse to maintain their equipment and continue to run it until it will no longer works at all. Thanks in advance.

Replies11
  1. #1fast_st2019-11-06 09:14

    I think that wrench looks like the platinum card and magically replaces the entire unit in question.

  2. #2John C.2019-11-06 11:32

    The best I can do is a fit all, screw chisel and a home made thumper. I once had a customer ask if I would charge less if I used his tools instead of mine.

  3. #3AzIron2019-11-06 19:51

    That is the best one I have heard in a long time

  4. #492U 34062019-11-06 20:13

    I'd retort with: "Well your tools aren't as experienced as mine so I'll have to charge extra for training"

  5. #5Bls repair2019-11-07 18:24

    I would say yes ,but I still get paid while you are getting any tools that I need to do the job . Even if it takes a week or more . My tools are available for rent at $500 per tool per hour. When should I start ?

  6. #6Truck Shop2019-11-07 18:48

    This thread is why I don't do or allow outside repair or work in the shop. It use to be {can I help by washing parts} No because your not covered by the shop insurance and I like to wash the parts because that's when I inspect them, If I find it's junk I don't continue to waste time washing it.

  7. #7John C.2019-11-08 09:31

    People seem to forget that cleaning parts is part of the repair process. How many leaks do you get from the cram and slam procedure of get it running as fast as possible?

  8. #8kshansen2019-11-08 10:32

    That is one of the problems I had when a boss would try to "help" Norm and me on a rush job. Boss would give us a spare set of hands to save time on an engine rebuild. That always seemed to cause two problems. First the guy sent to help would have no idea of how to inspect the parts being cleaned and second the guy would get bored after a few hours standing there washing parts and want to do something "more interesting"! And don't ask him to start scrapping gaskets! Either bits of gaskets would be still there or gouges in the aluminum parts.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2019-11-08 11:13

    Had the EXACT PROBLEM where I worked Hansen.. 2 K50.s in the shop w/ an inspector coming in a week.!! ALL HANDS on deck.. {except me of course} The teardown/rebuild crew w/ be SCREAM'N at the clean up crew.. & eventually just redo it themselves. After hours = boo koo overtime on the weekends.. which killed the bottom line.. It only took the BIG BOSS about 10 engines & the rebuild crew screaming at him, before he just let the td/rebuild guys do it all.. 10 engines at 80k each w/ no profit.. fkn genius..!!

  10. #1092U 34062019-11-08 16:00

    That's what I get fed up about. Pull a major component in a single shift and have it out on the floor and you're a hero. Then you spend half a day cleaning/organizing parts, ordering parts, packaging the component to be sent out for core etc and suddenly the office geeks are calling you a useless POS because they don't understand that's all part of the job.

  11. #11kshansen2019-11-08 19:18

    Next time just tell them its on the floor, now it's your problem and walk out the door then turn and say by the way I need the seal kit to install it when the rebuilt one gets here.